Anne Hathaway , Rosemarie DeWitt

Mather Zickel , Bill Irwin

Anisa George , Anna Deavere Smith

Tunde Adebimpe , Debra Winger

Nomad's Rating:

theres beauty in truth...

i became deeply connected to the characters involved in this snapshot of

two families one weekend and a wedding

Jonathon Demme's independant film is brilliant in his styling of creating natural surroundings

he used two roaming cameras that were never off and the actors themselves never knew when they were on or not, they didnt know what was in the film and what wasnt

the cast of characters were eclectic and dynamic

some of the characters like the groom had few lines but his presence couldnt be ignored

i can say that of all the actors throughout the film.

they were interesting and i wanted to be there to know them i wanted to be friends with them and join in

the music was an integral part of the background and forefront of the scenery and mood setting

the music was also filmed live during the dialogue which created a festive and realistic atmosphere

reggae and solo violin sad trumpet accompanied by mandolin

middle eastern flavor with dancers

anne hathaway comes home from a nine month stint in rehab after a tragedy that involved her driving off a bridge with her younger brother while stoned out of her mind resulting in his death

what follows is a weekend leading up to the wedding and anne disrupts the proceedings every chance she gets

i loved this movie

I AM AWESOME MAN
pinkchick

Rachel Getting Married

Post by pinkchick »

Nomad;1158305 wrote:

Rachel Getting Married

http://www.sonyclassics.com/rachelgetti ... ailer.html

a Jonathon Demme movie

starring,

Anne Hathaway Rosemarie DeWitt

Mather Zickel Bill Irwin

Anisa George Anna Deavere Smith

Tunde Adebimpe Debra Winger

Nomad's Rating:

theres beauty in truth...

i became deeply connected to the characters involved in this snapshot of

two families one weekend and a wedding

Jonathon Demme's independant film is brilliant in his styling of creating natural surroundings

he used two roaming cameras that were never off and the actors themselves never knew when they were on or not, they didnt know what was in the film and what wasnt

the cast of characters were eclectic and dynamic

some of the characters like the groom had few lines but his presence couldnt be ignored

i can say that of all the actors throughout the film.

they were interesting and i wanted to be there to know them i wanted to be friends with them and join in

the music was an integral part of the background and forefront of the scenery and mood setting

the music was also filmed live during the dialogue which created a festive and realistic atmosphere

reggae and solo violin sad trumpet accompanied by mandolin

middle eastern flavor with dancers

anne hathaway comes home from a nine month stint in rehab after a tragedy that involved her driving off a bridge with her younger brother while stoned out of her mind resulting in his death

what follows is a weekend leading up to the wedding and anne disrupts the proceedings every chance she gets

i loved this movie

Sounds interesting:D
Very nearly perfect ... :D
Nomad

Rachel Getting Married

Post by Nomad »

pinkchick;1158306 wrote: Sounds interesting:D

You may enjoy this.
I AM AWESOME MAN
pinkchick

Rachel Getting Married

Post by pinkchick »

Nomad;1158308 wrote: You may enjoy this.

I think you might be right. If it makes me cry I'm comin to get ya! :sneaky::D
Very nearly perfect ... :D
CARLA

Rachel Getting Married

Post by CARLA »

5 popcorns that's high praise Nomad. I thought this movie would be a bust but I will check it out.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Nomad

Rachel Getting Married

Post by Nomad »

CARLA;1158318 wrote: 5 popcorns that's high praise Nomad. I thought this movie would be a bust but I will check it out.

I only picked it up because of her big doe eyes on the cover. For me personally it turned out to be one hell of a film.
I AM AWESOME MAN
G-man

Rachel Getting Married

Post by G-man »

Nomad;1158324 wrote: I only picked it up because of her big doe eyes on the cover. For me personally it turned out to be one hell of a film.

That certainly caught my attention, so I picked up a copy at the Sea-Tac airport. I must admit that I've loved Anne Hathaway in everything (Check out Devil Wears Prada, if you haven't actually seen it yet) that I've seen her in thus far, however. She's also in Tim Burton's "Alice In Wonderland" which is in post production now and I believe is scheduled to be released next year.

I love the handling of the characters in this film... it's very fresh and rather unconventional, perhaps that's not the way it should be done, but... for better or for worse, there's a certain level of realism in this film that most Hollywood films are lacking in. Anne Hathaway and Debra Winger are especially brilliant in this film.

I'm not certain if I'd give it five popcorns... four popcorns and an "old maid" (You're welcome to use that, btw, but if you make any profit from it I expect a cut. :p ) is what I'd rate it, personally, but definitely a must see for all film afficianados. :D

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Nomad

Rachel Getting Married

Post by Nomad »

G-man;1158779 wrote: That certainly caught my attention, so I picked up a copy at the Sea-Tac airport. I must admit that I've loved Anne Hathaway in everything (Check out Devil Wears Prada, if you haven't actually seen it yet) that I've seen her in thus far, however. She's also in Tim Burton's "Alice In Wonderland" which is in post production now and I believe is scheduled to be released next year.

I love the handling of the characters in this film... it's very fresh and rather unconventional, perhaps that's not the way it should be done, but... for better or for worse, there's a certain level of realism in this film that most Hollywood films are lacking in. Anne Hathaway and Debra Winger are especially brilliant in this film.

I'm not certain if I'd give it five popcorns... four popcorns and an "old maid" (You're welcome to use that, btw, but if you make any profit from it I expect a cut. :p ) is what I'd rate it, personally, but definitely a must see for all film afficianados. :D

I fell in love with her during Devil Wears Prada.

The realism I think you can attribute to Jonathe Demme in the way it was casually filmed as if it were a wedding weekend as opposed to a production. I know from the extras he really loved the film himself. He thought he got it all right. I agree.

Mather Zickel, Bill Irwin especially, he was perfect for the role and Rosemarie DeWitt were all exceptional.

And the music was fricking phenomenal, all the flavors enhanced the surrounding story. The sax during rehearsal, the Carribean influences and Middle Eastern themes................extraordinary.

Look.............:-3 I dont know what my problem is ok but I could not stop crying. WTF ?

Maybe it was a connection to the addict or wishing I had a family like that I dunno but the movie affected me.
I AM AWESOME MAN
G-man

Rachel Getting Married

Post by G-man »

It sorta' reminds me of another old film with Kristin Scott Thomas playing a similar damaged role where the audience fell in love with her. It also kinda' reminds me of my Aunt's funeral this past week... one of her son's has been in prison and was allowed to attend the funeral, but was always accompanied by two guards. It was good that he got to see her one last time, but the circumstances were a bit uncomfortable for everyone there.

I admit that there were a few scenes that went on too long and took away from an otherwise rather brilliant documentary style film.

Nomad

Rachel Getting Married

Post by Nomad »

G-man;1159047 wrote: one of her son's has been in prison and was allowed to attend the funeral, but was always accompanied by two guards. It was good that he got to see her one last time, but the circumstances were a bit uncomfortable for everyone there.

Sorry to hear it. Funerals are........................well funerals.Shut up Nomad !!!
I AM AWESOME MAN
G-man

Rachel Getting Married

Post by G-man »

Did anyone else catch what I took as references to Demme's earlier work? For instance, Roger Corman who was present at the wedding as one of the guests, Sidney singing the Neil Young cover tune and I'm convinced that I saw Robyn Hitchcock singing at the reception, although I didn't see a mention of him in the credits...

Spoiler Alert for those who haven't seen the film, yet:

A few nit-picky things that bothered me... why the Indian theme of the wedding? I saw black folks, white folks, (even latin folks talking behind the scenes in the intro credits before they began playing the Wedding March on guitar) but... no Indian folks, unless you want to include Kym when she introduced herself as "Shiva the destroyer, your harbinger of doom this evening"... but that's a bit of a stretch.

This is very nit-picky, but... Kym's choice of expletive as she was almost drunkenly (which seemed rather forced to me) tripping over all of the folded chairs rushing to the AA meeting... which too easily worked into Kieran's joke as he was introducing himself in front of the rest of the members. Maybe it's just me, but... that wouldn't be one of my top choices of expletives to call the folding chairs. Another thing was where she crashed through that sign and down the hill into that big rock... there was more damage to her face than there was to the front of the car.

Nomad

Rachel Getting Married

Post by Nomad »

[quote=G-man;1160267]Did anyone else catch what I took as references to Demme's earlier work? For instance, Roger Corman who was present at the wedding as one of the guests, Sidney singing the Neil Young cover tune and I'm convinced that I saw Robyn Hitchcock singing at the reception, although I didn't see a mention of him in the credits...

Demme did mention he used actors he knows on a personal level.

One was someone hed known since she was a little girl. Bill Irwin is his neighbor. I think it was his plan to design a wedding that happened to be a film and that was the approach the producer and director were going after.

Not sure about Hitchcock.

Spoiler Alert for those who haven't seen the film, yet:

A few nit-picky things that bothered me... why the Indian theme of the wedding? I saw black folks, white folks, (even latin folks talking behind the scenes in the intro credits before they began playing the Wedding March on guitar) but... no Indian folks, unless you want to include Kym when she introduced herself as "Shiva the destroyer, your harbinger of doom this evening"... but that's a bit of a stretch.

The themes in the wedding including the music were as diverse as the friends of the wedding couple. One of Sidneys friends he knew from Jamaica. Other accomplished musician friends had other musical influences. I thought the blending of cultures made the wedding interesting. Id loved to have been there. The Indian theme was elegant as I appreciate the intricasies of that culture. I thought it complimented their personalities and the over all element of gentle beauty.

This is very nit-picky, but... Kym's choice of expletive as she was almost drunkenly (which seemed rather forced to me) tripping over all of the folded chairs rushing to the AA meeting... which too easily worked into Kieran's joke as he was introducing himself in front of the rest of the members. Maybe it's just me, but... that wouldn't be one of my top choices of expletives to call the folding chairs. Another thing was where she crashed through that sign and down the hill into that big rock... there was more damage to her face than there was to the front of the car.

I think this was by design as well. Her speech was very uncomfortable to watch. Shed been in treatment for 9 months and her behavior was influenced by that. She hadnt been in a normal setting for a long time so naturally she was innappropriate and awkward. Treatment instills a very distinct method of coping and it becomes a way of life for many. She was out of place in a warm loving setting and she portrayed that well.

There was also an elephant in the room, Ethan her younger brother. Perhaps she had to acknowledge publicly how she was a work in progress while avoiding the actual elephant. Treatment also revolves around self awareness and self involvement. Her family went on living their lives while she was in a kind of time warp.

The car...didnt notice. Might be nit picky. But if it bugs you it bugs you.

It bugged me she didnt apologize to her sister while she was in the bath just prior to the wedding.
I AM AWESOME MAN
along-for-the-ride

Rachel Getting Married

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I just saw the film this morning.

Thanks for recommending it, Nomie. :)

---Spoiler Alert---

I think her mother may have given her that black eye during their confrontaion, which was rather physical. "Why did you let me babysit when you were aware of my drug problem?"

The father seemed like a nice guy, with good intentions, but was an enabler.

The wedding was sweet and the party afterward very festive.

I,somehow, felt sad at the movies end.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
G-man

Rachel Getting Married

Post by G-man »

I get that, too... and I did enjoy the Indian saris that the women were wearing... but... where's the explanation for something that's so out of the ordinary? I love Indian culture, I've got a fairly sizable collection of Indian music, art, books and even a Bollywood DVD collection. I spent some time there when I was younger, members of my family have lived there for their entire lives, I grew up with an Indian nanny, and there's even a bit of Indian blood coursing through my veins. If I had an East Indian themed wedding, it would make sense. I do get the symbolism of it and there's a LOT of symbolism dispersed throughout this movie starting with the opening scene where Walter wants his lighter and Kym's puffin' away in front of Walter and Rosa. It was such an important part of the movie, I just felt there was a very strong reason behind it. I feel the same way about some of the characters outside of the two sisters and how they all fit in with one another, as well.

along-for-the-ride;1160973 wrote: I just saw the film this morning.

Thanks for recommending it, Nomie. :)

---Spoiler Alert---

I think her mother may have given her that black eye during their confrontaion, which was rather physical. "Why did you let me babysit when you were aware of my drug problem?"

The father seemed like a nice guy, with good intentions, but was an enabler.

The wedding was sweet and the party afterward very festive.

I,somehow, felt sad at the movies end.

THAT confrontation surprised the **** out of me! That was HUGE!!! I loved it... it was SO powerful and very telling. I would have loved to have been in a cinema watching that for the first time to hear everyone else's reactions, too.

I felt that her sister was an enabler, as well... pretty much everyone around her, really... her and her sister are spoiled brats because of it, too. With Rachel, it's less obvious because she's less noticable than Kym for various reasons. I like how Kym was getting recognized everywhere she seemed to go... that was so funny how the convenience store clerked hopped down from the counter and asked her if she was on that certain tv show. If I were drinking Pepsi (from the fountain, of course...) at that moment, I'd have probably spit it out all over! :wah:

I felt sad at the ending where Rachel was looking out the window as the stuff was being taken down, as it's always sad with the contrast between the party with all the guests and activity and then it's just so quiet. I've always mentioned how sad it feels just after the party is over and all of the guests have left. However, I also felt that this was going to be a new beginning. I'm thinking that the ending was meant to be solemn because of what Rachel had mentioned previously about feeling lonely afterwards and then the fact that the credits were rolling so soon, however.

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”