Cloverfield

koan

Cloverfield

Post by koan »

I finally watched this and I'm more than impressed. It was spectacular on a number of levels.

The style wasn't completely unique. Blair Witch Project introduced the handheld home video format as feature film but it was just a glimmer of an idea compared to how Cloverfield handled the same approach. They added the extra element of the film having been taped over other footage and we keep catching clips of life as the characters knew it juxtaposed with the chaotic present.

The filmmakers stay true to the limits of their format but their choices of shots maximize the dramatic effect. I was breathless, not from the horror elements, but from the genius of the storytelling.

Only bad press from me is that the Statue of Liberty head was a tad too small. Ok. Really too small.
Sheryl

Cloverfield

Post by Sheryl »

:wah::wah: That was dave's complaint too.

I really liked the movie. I actually jumped a couple of times. But I had to watch the extras to figure out what the little creatures were.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
The Rob

Cloverfield

Post by The Rob »

I enjoyed it very much. The dashing-through-the-dark genre isn't all that easy to pace without becoming repetitive and dull, but Cloverfield was nicely managed.

I want to see what J. J. Abrams does with his Star Trek film. Unfortunately his new television series "Fringe" appears to be a brain-dead dud.
Nomad

Cloverfield

Post by Nomad »

koan;988448 wrote: we keep catching clips of life as the characters knew it juxtaposed with the chaotic present.

You dont get a chance to say that every day !

Good opportunity siezing !
I AM AWESOME MAN
G-man

Cloverfield

Post by G-man »

:wah:

I thought it was brilliant, too. I was expecting more hidden meaning in this film... I did enjoy his Lost series, as well... unfortunately, I didn't have time to catch every episode and it was one of those shows where you walk away for a bit and you miss something important.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

lukeofyorkshire

Cloverfield

Post by lukeofyorkshire »

I finally got round to watching this a few months back and was very impressed. As previously stated the 'Blair Witch' style fear of the unknown at the start of the film really impressed me.

I am a big fan of Star Trek and hopefully the new film will be as good as the previews are suggesting.

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”