British Films

Lon

British Films

Post by Lon »

I just viewed via Netflix last night "The Bank Job", a really good film. It's a shame that the only way we here in the states get to see some of the films from the UK is to rent a DVD as they rarely make it to the mainstream theaters. Perhaps it's difficulty with some of the accents. I must admit that if it was not for the Closed Captioning I would have missed a fair amount of dialogue.
gmc

British Films

Post by gmc »

Lon;986817 wrote: I just viewed via Netflix last night "The Bank Job", a really good film. It's a shame that the only way we here in the states get to see some of the films from the UK is to rent a DVD as they rarely make it to the mainstream theaters. Perhaps it's difficulty with some of the accents. I must admit that if it was not for the Closed Captioning I would have missed a fair amount of dialogue.

Well you have access to a whole lot of people on this forum who can recommend films to watch if we know what kind of thing you like if you want. I'd imagine half the fun is the same language but with funny accents and different culture mores. The war films in particular might surprise you.

http://www.britishcinemagreats.com/titl ... s_page.htm
Imladris

British Films

Post by Imladris »

I love lots of the old Ealing comedies, and the war films.

Try Passport to Pimlico, the Wooden Horse or The Colditz Story if you can get them - brilliant

And the St Trinians movies are good fun too.
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Victoria

British Films

Post by Victoria »

I love British films old and new.

I love the fact that there doesn't have to be an explosion every five minutes and I enjoy the snappy sarcastic one liners.

Loved George Cole as Flash Harry in st Trinians does the spiv thing so well. Used to know all the words to the song too..

New films can be good too enjoyed calender girls, again it was the dialogue that really made it for me.
gmc

British Films

Post by gmc »

jimbo;988475 wrote: my fave film is snatch a guy richie (mr madona)masterpiece

great humour loads of action but has the f word used a lot

This may sound daft but I like the carry in films. The story live is naff, the jokes are naff and I know every one of them and they have the intellectual content of a (well think of something) but evry time one is on I find myself sitting watching. It's like an old favourite relative visiting.
Carolly

British Films

Post by Carolly »

Any English language probs......Im yer bird;):cool:
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Nomad

British Films

Post by Nomad »

Most of them suck.
I AM AWESOME MAN
gmc

British Films

Post by gmc »

Nomad;991279 wrote: Most of them suck.

So do most american ones just concentrate on the good ones.
Nomad

British Films

Post by Nomad »

gmc;991340 wrote: So do most american ones just concentrate on the good ones.

Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes......HELLOOOOOO !
I AM AWESOME MAN
Lon

British Films

Post by Lon »

Nomad;992044 wrote: Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes......HELLOOOOOO !

Betcha you would like "The Bank Job".
hamdiderot

British Films

Post by hamdiderot »

Hello friends

I am very interested in cinema but the availability of British films in Norh Africa is really scarce (Tunisia for example). One needs a broadband connection in order to download good films but neither that is available. So i think one needs to be so rich to acquire British films.

My favourite film is certainly Lawrence of Arabia and i like Niven for it. But believe me i must satisfy myself with two hours n other words till the intermission. Only two hours from the film which Spielberg considers as his favourite.

And i saw River Kwai only once on tv while i have watched Thin Red Line about 10 times not only because it is a masterpiece but also because it is available.

I do also like 4 Feathers which i thought to be British due to the context but the truth is that Americans are no producing successful films about British history.

Snatch was a success and there is also The English Patient which was shot in the south of my Tunisia, but i still think that British culture needs much more promotion in order to reach cinephiles , let alone potential viewers.
gmc

British Films

Post by gmc »

hamdiderot;1032639 wrote: Hello friends

I am very interested in cinema but the availability of British films in Norh Africa is really scarce (Tunisia for example). One needs a broadband connection in order to download good films but neither that is available. So i think one needs to be so rich to acquire British films.

My favourite film is certainly Lawrence of Arabia and i like Niven for it. But believe me i must satisfy myself with two hours n other words till the intermission. Only two hours from the film which Spielberg considers as his favourite.

And i saw River Kwai only once on tv while i have watched Thin Red Line about 10 times not only because it is a masterpiece but also because it is available.

I do also like 4 Feathers which i thought to be British due to the context but the truth is that Americans are no producing successful films about British history.

Snatch was a success and there is also The English Patient which was shot in the south of my Tunisia, but i still think that British culture needs much more promotion in order to reach cinephiles , let alone potential viewers.

There was a 1998 film called the thin red line which was about AMERICAN troops in Guadalcanal is that the one you mean? The original phrase the thin red line was a phrase coined by a British war correspondent who saw the argylll and Sutherland highlanders stand off a cavalry charge at the battle of balaclava during the crimean war in a line rather than the more traditional square. They wore the traditional red coats of the British army.

The bridge on the river kwai was controversial and thoroughly annoyed those british prisoners who were actually there because of it's portrayal of their CO.

There are plenty of CD's available of british films to buy on line though I don't know how practical that is for you.

try

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_and_the_Lion

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... cally.html

Set just up the coast, not a war film as such. berbers and americans coming together to beat the nasty devious europeans.

There's also quite a few british films about ww2 set in north africa-as you would expect.
hamdiderot

British Films

Post by hamdiderot »

Hello gmc

Thin Red Line is an American film (that is well known) but my point is that American films are easily found in cd burning stores (the whole business is illegal )

while even the masterpieces of British cinema are missing.

Thank for trying to help me get some British films but from Tunisia we cannot buy things on line:-2 that is only allowed in local terms. Anyway no international bank cards are issued.

Closed casket:-5

But i am used to read much about films before seeing them and were these films available legally i wouldn't buy cuz they will b (very much) expensive for average people .
Bez

British Films

Post by Bez »

Not sure what's British made or not, but 'ELIZABETH the Golden Years' (Elizabeth 1st) is good. 'Seabiscuit', 'Chariots of fire' (old but good).... Lots of BBC series on one DVD like Pride and Predudice etc.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”