Anyone seen Open Water?

Cass

Anyone seen Open Water?

Post by Cass »

My daughter is 11 and has been begging me to rent or PPV 'open water' I have heard it is really intense and scary.

She has seen JAWS and laughs at it :rolleyes: (I think she roots for the shark) do you think Open Water is okay for me to get?
Tombstone

Anyone seen Open Water?

Post by Tombstone »

>>^..^ My daughter is 11 and has been begging me to rent or PPV 'open water' I have heard it is really intense and scary.

She has seen JAWS and laughs at it :rolleyes: (I think she roots for the shark) do you think Open Water is okay for me to get?
We saw this video last weekend. Watched it with my kids. We thought it was going to be good - but we thought it was poorly done. Looked very amateurish. The storyline was incredibly weak. Not scary. Not suspenseful. It is an "indie" film and not a good one at that.

The Tombstone household gave it a 5 thumbs down! (We love Jaws, by the way!)
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Lon

Anyone seen Open Water?

Post by Lon »

I saw the film in the U.S. before coming down to New Zealand and thought it was one of the worst films that I have ever seen. Two people floating in the water for 90 minutes, not scary, not exciting, not suspenseful, a real bomb in my opinion. The film is now opening here in New Zealand and the critics unbelieveably have given it four stars out of four. They must enjoy watching paint dry.
Cass

Anyone seen Open Water?

Post by Cass »

Wow.. a dud, huh? I had heard it got rave reviews. Thanks for the heads up.
Lon

Anyone seen Open Water?

Post by Lon »

>>^..^ Wow.. a dud, huh? I had heard it got rave reviews. Thanks for the heads up.

I was just thinking as to why some people (critics) would like this film and I got to thinking that maybe people that have a fear of the water, particularly the ocean found the film exciting. I am a Certified Scuba Diver and spend lots of time in the ocean, so no such excitement for me. BTW the two people that the movie was based on were divers.
Tombstone

Anyone seen Open Water?

Post by Tombstone »

>>^..^ Wow.. a dud, huh? I had heard it got rave reviews. Thanks for the heads up.
Yes! I grabbed it off the Blockbuster shelf because Ebert and Roeper gave it two thumbs up! I almost always like Ebert's "likes".

This was a real surprise. You should rent it though and let us know what you think.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Anyone seen Open Water?

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

Sadly it was rubbish. sj
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
lady cop

Anyone seen Open Water?

Post by lady cop »

welcome Paul from venice... :-6 ...as a lifelong SCUBA diver i am also interested in sharks, and will have to go rent this DVD tomorrow. sharks don't worry me, i have done underwater photography for years. then again, i would not deep dive australia or south africa without a cage. most species are not interested in having you for lunch.
A Karenina

Anyone seen Open Water?

Post by A Karenina »

I haven't seen it, so I have no opinion. But does anyone know the story of the two people it was based on? Lon said they were divers...what really happened to them?
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
lady cop

Anyone seen Open Water?

Post by lady cop »

i watched 'open water' today...it was rather a bore, but worse than that, it actually made me seasick!! if you recall the handheld camera-work in 'blair witch' which made people nauseous, this was at water level throughout, with constant rollers....*barf*

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”