Memoirs of a Geisha

Amie

Memoirs of a Geisha

Post by Amie »

I can't figure out if it's because I was sick last night when I watched it, or because I read the book and adored it. BUT.... I was really disappointed in the movie.

What did you think?
luvbunni

Memoirs of a Geisha

Post by luvbunni »

I didn't watch it because it doesn't interest me. I am not into those kinds of movies.
venus

Memoirs of a Geisha

Post by venus »

I have just finished reading the book, not to sure l will see the movie..

sometimes they just kill hte story and the book was enough for me, contained enough to picture it myself.
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
AussiePam

Memoirs of a Geisha

Post by AussiePam »

Hi Amie, luvbunni, Venus - someone gave me the book for Christmas, but I haven't started reading it yet... got bogged down in a series of detective stories.. grin.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

chonsigirl

Memoirs of a Geisha

Post by chonsigirl »

Got my amazon shipment, but that wasn;t one of the books. I got the Jane Austen Book Club though....................
DesignerGal

Memoirs of a Geisha

Post by DesignerGal »

I read the book and want to read again. I got the movie 3 days ago and watched, wanted to watch again right after it ended! I LOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE it!!!!

What were you guys dissappointed about? Not sarcasm, really want to know yur differing views between movie and book.

I thought it did well between book and movie unlike most. What were your disatisfactions?

HBIC
Richard Bell

Memoirs of a Geisha

Post by Richard Bell »

DesignerGal wrote:

I thought it did well between book and movie unlike most. What were your disatisfactions?

I haven't read the book nor watched the film, but I have to say I found the idea of an English speaking Chinese cast playing Japanese characters pretty lame.

Imagine a movie with French speaking Polish actors playing Americans, or Spanish speaking Swedes playing Brits. Kinda silly, no ?

R.B.
Bez

Memoirs of a Geisha

Post by Bez »

I've read the book and definitely want to watch the movie...is it out on DVD yet ?
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
weeder

Memoirs of a Geisha

Post by weeder »

I loved the book. I guess Ill see the movie at some point. Most often the movies destroy the books. We will see...
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
along-for-the-ride

Memoirs of a Geisha

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I have read the book and am anxious to see the movie.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Amie

Memoirs of a Geisha

Post by Amie »

I felt that it concentrated for too much on the selling of her virginity, and far too little on everything else. Ultimately, that move portrayed that being a Geisha was about sex even though throughout the movie the voiceover and the dialogue says it's not. I found that a little contradictory. Just my opinion.

Maybe it's because I thought the book was so so fabulous, that the movie never stood a chance though. :thinking:

DesignerGal wrote: I read the book and want to read again. I got the movie 3 days ago and watched, wanted to watch again right after it ended! I LOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE it!!!!

What were you guys dissappointed about? Not sarcasm, really want to know yur differing views between movie and book.

weeder

Memoirs of a Geisha

Post by weeder »

One of the interesting things in the story was that SHE didnt know it was about sex.... for many many years. Finally the way it was described to her... she still didnt really understand... Men want to find a cave to put an eel in??????
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”