Capote

lady cop

Capote

Post by lady cop »

the DVD will be available march 21. his book, 'in cold blood', inspired me into law enforcement. it was a riveting account of the murders of the entire Clutter family of Kansas. the movie is based on his relationship with a killer and how it affected him. i am really looking forward to seeing it.
lady cop

Capote

Post by lady cop »

SnoozeControl wrote: Me too! Although Philip Seymour Hoffman kind of creeps me out.not that i give a rat's arse, but he got the best actor oscar for his role in this. i had never heard of him.
lady cop

Capote

Post by lady cop »

Clipper wrote: Hey LC....not to hijack yer thread but.....I had the dis-pleasure of meeting the real Henry Hill several times while on special assignment....that name ring a bell with you? oh hell yes! (and you're welcome to comment on anything in my threads!) witness protection is a good career choice when you're about to get whacked. LOL what a dirtbag. didn't his wife and kid get busted?
lady cop

Capote

Post by lady cop »

SnoozeControl wrote: He was in "Nearly Famous", "Cold Mountain" and "The Talented Mr Ripley" to name a few fairly well known movies. He always plays a slightly effete, pseudo-intellectual.like truman then? :wah:
valerie

Capote

Post by valerie »

Wasn't Henry Hill what Goodfellas was based on?

I haven't read In Cold Blood in years... I should check it out next time

I'm at the library.

And the weird "Six Degrees of Separation" thing... Robert Blake played

Perry Smith!!

:eek: :eek:
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

lady cop

Capote

Post by lady cop »

valerie wrote: Wasn't Henry Hill what Goodfellas was based on?

I haven't read In Cold Blood in years... I should check it out next time

I'm at the library.

And the weird "Six Degrees of Separation" thing... Robert Blake played

Perry Smith!!

:eek: :eek:that was blake's defining role. and you're right about goodfellas. only it was a typical hollywood romanticized bio. like bonnie and clyde. two scumbags made to look glam.
lady cop

Capote

Post by lady cop »

Clipper wrote: ROFL! Ya beat me to the punch LC.....:D hey, i'm fast on the trigger! HAHAHAHAHAHA
lady cop

Capote

Post by lady cop »

SnoozeControl wrote: I didn't see it as glam at all... that movie gave me nightmares.really? the movie made them look very handsome and adorable and funny, with a cute soundtrack. when in fact they were garbage.
lady cop

Capote

Post by lady cop »

cop killing car thieves and bank robbers, bonnie parker and clyde barrow............

Attached files
DesignerGal

Capote

Post by DesignerGal »

lady cop wrote: the DVD will be available march 21. his book, 'in cold blood', inspired me into law enforcement. it was a riveting account of the murders of the entire Clutter family of Kansas. the movie is based on his relationship with a killer and how it affected him. i am really looking forward to seeing it.

I read this book four times and own 2 copies. I will read it again and again! I wanted to see the movie with Robert Blake but cant find it anywhere. I'll have to buy it.

I want to see Capote too, but my town is so small it never came to the theatres anywhere near here.:-1

HBIC
lady cop

Capote

Post by lady cop »

In Cold Blood

Amazon.com
Benjamin

Capote

Post by Benjamin »

DesignerGal wrote: I read this book four times and own 2 copies. I will read it again and again! I wanted to see the movie with Robert Blake but cant find it anywhere. I'll have to buy it.

I want to see Capote too, but my town is so small it never came to the theatres anywhere near here.:-1
The movie "In Cold Blood" is pretty good. I think Robert Blake won an award for his performance. I think he also had a nervous breakdown or something afterwards. :-2

The movie "Capote" was good... pretty flawless. I still think Cinderella Man should have won for best picture, but it wasn't even nominated!
Richard Bell

Capote

Post by Richard Bell »

lady cop wrote: the DVD will be available march 21. his book, 'in cold blood', inspired me into law enforcement. it was a riveting account of the murders of the entire Clutter family of Kansas. the movie is based on his relationship with a killer and how it affected him. i am really looking forward to seeing it.

We screened it about six weeks ago. I sat and watched it twice . It's brilliant.

On the second viewing, I'm pretty sure I caught a glitch :

After he is arrested, Perry is held in the "women's cell " in the sherrif's office. It's basically a barred off sitting room, not a jail cell. Capote goes there to talk to him. Behind Perry is a barred window, looking out onto the street.

The film makers blurred the view, but I'm pretty sure the vehicles that pass by on the road are contemporary. I'm certain a mini van or two whizz by.

Most of the film was shot in and around Winnipeg, Manitoba.

R.B.
Richard Bell

Capote

Post by Richard Bell »

lady cop wrote: really? the movie made them look very handsome and adorable and funny, with a cute soundtrack. when in fact they were garbage.

I agree with Snooze. I thought the characters were monsters.

I would suggest that the"adorable and funny" aspects of some of the characters were actually the traits of psychopaths. Pesci was unbelievably chilling.

R.B.
Richard Bell

Capote

Post by Richard Bell »

lady cop wrote: not that i give a rat's arse, but he got the best actor oscar for his role in this. i had never heard of him.

This was one of the most deserved Academy Awards in many years. It's an amazing performance.

Hoffman made a fine little film a few years ago, called Owning Mahowney. It's based on the true story of a Toronto bank manager with a devastating addiction to gambling. Minnie Driver plays his girlfriend.

I first saw Minnie in Grosse Point Blank. I thought she was wonderful. She impressed me again in The Governess with her British accent . I had assumed she was an American, because her accent in GPB was so believable. I originally thought the British accent was a creation.

She does it again in Owning Mahowney with a finely nuanced small town Ontario accent. She's good.

There's a shower scene with Hoffman in OM. You don't see any naughty bits, but it occured to me at the time that he would be the perfect choice for Homer, should they ever make a live action Simpsons feature, which I hope never happens.

R.B.
lady cop

Capote

Post by lady cop »

Richard Bell wrote: I agree with Snooze. I thought the characters were monsters.

I would suggest that the"adorable and funny" aspects of some of the characters were actually the traits of psychopaths. Pesci was unbelievably chilling.

R.B.i was referencing the hollywood treatment of their looks...they didn't remotely resemble faye dunaway and warren beatty (real photos, post #18)....and the comic aspects of kidnapping people for their car, and playing around with the texas ranger, c.w. moss as a sweet, funny, albiet not too bright character, the laugh-a-minute shootout scene with the hilarious blanche...i can't recall how many cops died in that event. funny thing is, i enjoyed the movie when it came out, but that was before i researched the real parker gang.
Richard Bell

Capote

Post by Richard Bell »

lady cop wrote: i was referencing the hollywood treatment of their looks...they didn't remotely resemble faye dunaway and warren beatty (real photos, post #18)....and the comic aspects of kidnapping people for their car, and playing around with the texas ranger, c.w. moss as a sweet, funny, albiet not too bright character, the laugh-a-minute shootout scene with the hilarious blanche...i can't recall how many cops died in that event. funny thing is, i enjoyed the movie when it came out, but that was before i researched the real parker gang.

Sorry, LC, I thought you were talking about Goodfellas .

I agree that Arthur Penn's Bonnie & Clyde glossed up the characters to an enormous degree.

I was nine years old when B&C came out in 1967. I remember our teacher talking about the film at the time. He said he lost all sympathy for the characters when Clyde blows away the bank customer who chased after them and jumped on the getaway car's running board. It is a very cold blooded act.

The film makes them look better (physically and morally) than the actual wretched losers that they were due to the fact it was made with a late 1960's sensibility, when rebels were generally lionised.

R.B.
lady cop

Capote

Post by lady cop »

i had forgotten about the innocent civilian that he shot...probably more than one. back then they were folk heroes to a lot of the population, but there was no robin hood aspect about them. they robbed the banks ostensibly because the banks were foreclosing on peoples' farms, but they sure weren't giving the money to the poor. we could probably think of many hollywood romanticized versions of criminals...at least 'in cold blood' didn't pretty up the horrible murders of a decent family.
weeder

Capote

Post by weeder »

Cold Blood was playing in my sleepy little country town.. weeks ago. I understand the history of the novel.. but would never go see it. I cannot take that genre. I am pleased it inspired your career LC. Lord knows weve always needed motivated committed people like yourself in law enforcement.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
lady cop

Capote

Post by lady cop »

weeder wrote: I am pleased it inspired your career LC. Lord knows weve always needed motivated committed people like yourself in law enforcement.you're a kind friend Weeder. :yh_hugs thankyou.
Richard Bell

Capote

Post by Richard Bell »

lady cop wrote: i had forgotten about the innocent civilian that he shot...probably more than one. back then they were folk heroes to a lot of the population, but there was no robin hood aspect about them. they robbed the banks ostensibly because the banks were foreclosing on peoples' farms, but they sure weren't giving the money to the poor. we could probably think of many hollywood romanticized versions of criminals...at least 'in cold blood' didn't pretty up the horrible murders of a decent family.

TVO (our version of PBS) played B&C last summer, so I have recent memories of it.

The film somewhat redeems itself near the end, when C.W. Moss takes the pair to his father's house to hide out. The elder Moss (played by the great character actor Dub Taylor) fawns all over Bonnie & Clyde to their faces, yet when he gets C.W. alone, he tells him that they are nothing but murderous lowlifes.

It's still a good film, but it does candy coat the duo. I'd wager that they were not nearly as intelligent or urbane as Dunaway and Beatty present them. Judging by their photos, I'd say they probably rose out of the shallow end of the gene pool.

R.B.
lady cop

Capote

Post by lady cop »

they got just what they deserved. as far as i know c.w. was actually a compilation of two different people. someone set them up. but i'll have to go look it up.

Attached files
Nomad

Capote

Post by Nomad »

SnoozeControl wrote: Me too! Although Philip Seymour Hoffman kind of creeps me out.

Really ? I think hes great, a very good character actor. He always seems to really fit the part hes playing. If anyone should creep you out it should be Capote. In Cold Blood was a good book, this might be worth a look see.
I AM AWESOME MAN
StupidCowboyTricks

Capote

Post by StupidCowboyTricks »

Nomad wrote: Really ? I think hes great, a very good character actor. He always seems to really fit the part hes playing. If anyone should creep you out it should be Capote. In Cold Blood was a good book, this might be worth a look see.

It is a good movie, there will be another movie more about Capote's life this year. He use to mesmerize me when I was about 12, I had had never seen or heard anyone quite like him before (to think he was an original jet setter and all, lol)

He use to go on all the talk shows, back in the days when they were 90 minutes and the guest stayed the whole time and talked about other things then just what they were plugging, there would be a lot drinking (they were live shows) and he would get in spats with Zsa Zsa, Shelly winters.....several years later I read a biography about him, he knew just about everyone, he started outing people and people became afraid of him, they say that his writing this book really put him on downward spiral.

Philip Seymour Hoffman was great, it took me a few minutes to realize that he was the obnoxious friend of Jude laws in The Incredible Mr. Ripply.:-2
Someone asked me why I swear so much. I said, "Just becuss.":)

Nomad

Capote

Post by Nomad »

StupidCowboyTricks wrote: It is a good movie, there will be another movie more about Capote's life this year. He use to mesmerize me when I was about 12, I had had never seen or heard anyone quite like him before (to think he was an original jet setter and all, lol)

He use to go on all the talk shows, back in the days when they were 90 minutes and the guest stayed the whole time and talked about other things then just what they were plugging, there would be a lot drinking (they were live shows) and he would get in spats with Zsa Zsa, Shelly winters.....several years later I read a biography about him, he knew just about everyone, he started outing people and people became afraid of him, they say that his writing this book really put him on downward spiral.

Philip Seymour Hoffman was great, it took me a few minutes to realize that he was the obnoxious friend of Jude laws in The Incredible Mr. Ripply.:-2

Thats what I mean about him. He just slides in without fanfare he really captures the essence of the parts he plays. I never feel like Im watching an actor play a role in a movie when hes in it, Im watching a real character unfold...thats good acting.

Stupid question...is he Dustins brother ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
lady cop

Capote

Post by lady cop »

i finally watched 'Capote' today and was very impressed with Philip Seymour Hoffman. he had Capote's voice and mannerisms perfectly. as i had hoped, the movie concentrated on his relationship with the convicted killer perry smith, and his entire creative process of writing 'In Cold Blood'. the book truly did change things. it was the first novelization of a true crime. i had to laugh too, because it also captured Truman as the mincing bitchy queen he really could be! the contrast between his celebrity-filled and rarefied life, and the stark reality of those murders was a study in human nature.
Marie5656

Capote

Post by Marie5656 »

Just saw Capote last week. Thought it was quite good. I had read the book in High School and got very interested in the story.

Hoffman was also in Twister and Flawless (he played a drag queen.) His most current is a bad guy in Mision Impossible III. My six degrees of separation...I live in Hoffman's home town, and my cousin, a lawyer has appeared before Hoffman's mom..a family court judge...several times.

Oh, Nomad..no he is not related to Dustin

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”