List of Academy Award Nominations

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

Jan 31, 2006 — List of the 78th annual Oscar nominations announced Tuesday in Beverly Hills, Calif., by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences:

1. Best Picture: "Munich."

i think "Crash" was beter

2. Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, "Walk the Line"

but i would like to see Terrance Howard win

3. Actress: Charlize Theron, "North Country

4. Supporting Actor: Paul Giamatti, "Cinderella Man

Paul is great. i think he got snubbed for "sideways" and he'l get it this year

5. Supporting Actress: Michelle Williams, "Brokeback Mountain."

6. Director: Paul Haggis, "Crash"

7. Foreign Film: "Don't Tell," Italy; "Joyeux Noel," France; "Paradise Now," Palestine; "Sophie Scholl The Final Days," Germany; "Tsotsi," South Africa.

not a friggin clue

8. Adapted Screenplay: Dan Futterman, "Capote"

9. Original Screenplay: Paul Haggis and Bobby Moresco, "Crash";

10. Animated Feature Film: "Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit."

11. Art Direction: "Pride & Prejudice."

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Gosh, I must be totally out of it. There is not one movie on the list I have seen.:confused:

And frankly, maybe only one or two I would maybe want to.
Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

yeah, i'd like to get teh DVD when it comes out.

StupidCowboyTricks

Post by StupidCowboyTricks »

Matt Dillon, "Crash":)
Someone asked me why I swear so much. I said, "Just becuss.":)

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

maybe.

StupidCowboyTricks

SnoozeControl wrote: I think it'll be Paul Giamatti too.
Paul was good, But that Matt Dillon scene..........It was riveting!

Philip Seymour Hoffman as Capote is good too.....I saw this movie first.....I liked it.....there is going to be another Capote movie coming out with Sandra Bullock as Harper Lee. This one will be more about his life.....the guy who will play him was a troll looking guy (British) from Lord of the Rings. ( I never watched that)

StupidCowboyTricks

SnoozeControl wrote: I just googled it, the movie's called "Infamous" and unfortunately has Gwyneth Paltrow in it too.

Toby Jones was the voice of Dobby in a couple of the Harry Potter movies. :)

Oh yeah maybe it was Harry Potter.....never seen an of those either........who is Gwyneth Paltrow suppose to be?

Capote was fascinating, he knew everybody.

StupidCowboyTricks

SnoozeControl wrote: Toby Jones .... Truman Capote

Sandra Bullock .... Harper Lee

Daniel Craig .... Perry Smith

Gwyneth Paltrow .... Peggy Lee

Sigourney Weaver .... Babe Paley

Jeff Daniels .... Alvin Dewey

Isabella Rossellini .... Gloria Guinness

Hope Davis .... Slim Keith

Morgan Farris .... Nancy Clutter

Its got a pretty good cast (except for Gwyneth.):rolleyes:

Probably just cameos.....whats wrong with Gwyneth? When is it suppose to come out?

StupidCowboyTricks

SnoozeControl wrote: It says they've finished filming, but there wasn't a set date for release.

I don't know what it is about GP, but she just bugs me. Could be her smugly superior attitude, that's been known to set me off. :D

She seems to be happy.

Jives

Post by Jives »

chonsigirl wrote: Gosh, I must be totally out of it. There is not one movie on the list I have seen.:confused:

And frankly, maybe only one or two I would maybe want to.

I'm with you, chonsi. Let's see...should I see the movie about two gay cowboys cheating on their wives? Or a movie about a guy who's about to get his sex organs cut off?

I'll pass. Maybe next year they'll have a cool Sci Fi flick.:-2
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
StupidCowboyTricks

Jives wrote: I'm with you, chonsi. Let's see...should I see the movie about two gay cowboys cheating on their wives? Or a movie about a guy who's about to get his sex organs cut off?

"In Cold Blood" was good.

StupidCowboyTricks

StupidCowboyTricks wrote: "In Cold Blood" was good.

I mean "Capote"

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Jives wrote: I'm with you, chonsi. Let's see...should I see the movie about two gay cowboys cheating on their wives? Or a movie about a guy who's about to get his sex organs cut off?

I saw maybe 2 or 3 moveis last year-Star Wars III and Narnia. A good scifi movie would be great!
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

1. Best Picture: "Brokeback Mountain," "Capote," "Crash," "Good Night, and Good Luck," "Munich."

I've seen them all except for Brokeback Mountain. I don't go to chick flicks (or gay flicks). Capote was good. Crash sucked so bad I walked out in the middle of it. Good Night and Good Luck was so-so. Munich was intense. I thought Walk the Line was better than all of them but it wasn't even nominated.

Ben's pick: Capote (Spielberg's won it too many times already)

2. Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Capote"; Terrence Howard, "Hustle & Flow"; Heath Ledger, "Brokeback Mountain"; Joaquin Phoenix, "Walk the Line"; David Strathairn, "Good Night, and Good Luck."

I never even heard of the movie "Hustle & Flow." David Strathairn was flawless as Edward R. Murrow but the movie wasn't that interesting.

Ben's pick: I'm going to go with Joaquin Phoenix. Even though he didn't look or sound much like Johnny Cash, he was fascinating to watch.

3. Actress: Judi Dench, "Mrs. Henderson Presents"; Felicity Huffman, "Transamerica"; Keira Knightley, "Pride & Prejudice"; Charlize Theron, "North Country"; Reese Witherspoon, "Walk the Line."

I've only seen "Walk the Line" out of all these but I didn't think Reese Witherspoon was believable as June Carter Cash.

Ben's pick: Charlize Theron. She's the best looking of the nominees. :)

4. Supporting Actor: George Clooney, "Syriana"; Matt Dillon, "Crash"; Paul Giamatti, "Cinderella Man"; Jake Gyllenhaal, "Brokeback Mountain"; William Hurt, "A History of Violence."

This one's tough. Cloony, Dillon, and Giamatti were all great in those movies.

Ben's pick: George Cloony

5. Supporting Actress: Amy Adams, "Junebug"; Catherine Keener, "Capote"; Frances McDormand, "North Country"; Rachel Weisz, "The Constant Gardener"; Michelle Williams, "Brokeback Mountain."

I'm going to have to see "North Country." Frances Mcdormand is a good actress and it has several other good actors/actresses.

Ben's pick: Cathrine Keener

6. Director: Ang Lee, "Brokeback Mountain"; Bennett Miller, "Capote"; Paul Haggis, "Crash"; George Clooney, "Good Night, and Good Luck"; Steven Spielberg, "Munich."

This one's between Capote and Munich.

Ben's pick: Bennett Miller. (Spielberg's won it too many times already)

7. Foreign Film: "Don't Tell," Italy; "Joyeux Noel," France; "Paradise Now," Palestine; "Sophie Scholl The Final Days," Germany; "Tsotsi," South Africa.

Haven't seen any of these so I'll have to use the scientific method: French movies always suck. I can't stand movies with Brittish accents so that eliminates Tsotsi. A Palestinian movie? No, they just elected a terrorist group to run the country. There are consequences for doing something like that. German accents are annoying. So what do we have left? The Italian movie.

Ben's pick: "Don't Tell"

8. Adapted Screenplay: Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, "Brokeback Mountain"; Dan Futterman, "Capote"; Jeffrey Caine, "The Constant Gardener"; Josh Olson, "A History of Violence"; Tony Kushner and Eric Roth, "Munich."

The Constant Gardener was boring so it's out. A History of Violence was interesting, but not Academy Award caliber.

Ben's pick: Munich

9. Original Screenplay: Paul Haggis and Bobby Moresco, "Crash"; George Clooney and Grant Heslov, "Good Night, and Good Luck"; Woody Allen, "Match Point"; Noah Baumbach, "The Squid and the Whale"; Stephen Gaghan, "Syriana."

Ben's pick: Syriana

10. Animated Feature Film: "Howl's Moving Castle"; "Tim Burton's Corpse Bride"; "Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit."

Ben's pick: None. I don't like animation movies.

11. Art Direction: "Good Night, and Good Luck," "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," "King Kong," "Memoirs of a Geisha," "Pride & Prejudice."
Ben's pick: Good Night and Good Luck
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

ArnoldLayne wrote: InterestingBen but why would a South African film "Tsotsi" have British accents. Wouldnt they have indigenous African accents or perhaps Afrikaans ?

Just a thought
I had to have some kind of superficial criteria for judging these movies since I haven't seen any of them. :wah: It's a film about black Africans and you're right: they probably don't speak english. It's about youth gangs and I usually don't like those kinds of movies, so I'll stick with the Italian movie.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

What about Narnia? Didn't it get all kinds of hype about it's animation? Why wasn't it nominated?

Cinderella Man got ripped off. It was Far superior to Crash. Then again, so was the latest Cottonelle advert.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Accountable wrote: What about Narnia? Didn't it get all kinds of hype about it's animation? Why wasn't it nominated?

Cinderella Man got ripped off. It was Far superior to Crash. Then again, so was the latest Cottonelle advert.

You're right, Cinderella Man should have been up for best picture. I've seen it twice and it was even better the second time.

Cottonelle advert? :wah:
aimnyamer

Post by aimnyamer »

Brokeback should win the Best Picture, since its the awards seasons favorite, and has won in Golden Globes, Critics Choice among others...

I'd be happy if Keira Knightley wins Best Actress, she's so superb in Pride & Prejudice.

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”