Why?

Discuss the Christian Faith.
Bryn Mawr

Why?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Apart from making life easier for businesses and schools why interfere with tradition?

Archbishop Justin Welby hopes for fixed Easter date - BBC News

On the other hand, why was Easter based on the lunar calendar in the first place?
spot

Why?

Post by spot »

Because Passover was a lunar event, because the date of the Exodus was based on the full moon. You can't celebrate the killing of all the firstborn in Egypt if you don't have the moon in the same phase or God would smite you.

Nobody in their right mind is going to change the date of Easter, it's a non-starter. England wouldn't be England without moveable feasts.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
AnneBoleyn

Why?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

spot;1491491 wrote: Because Passover was a lunar event, because the date of the Exodus was based on the full moon. You can't celebrate the killing of all the firstborn in Egypt if you don't have the moon in the same phase or God would smite you.

Nobody in their right mind is going to change the date of Easter, it's a non-starter. England wouldn't be England without moveable feasts.

Then why don't the Xians follow the Hebrew calendar as Jesus was arrested at Passover?
spot

Why?

Post by spot »

AnneBoleyn;1491501 wrote: Then why don't the Xians follow the Hebrew calendar as Jesus was arrested at Passover?

Because they use different calculations to reach the same theological day, but they do intend to reach the same anniversary.

There's an attempt at describing how the differences arise at "Why don’t Easter and Passover always fall together on the calendar?" at Determining the Dates for Easter and Passover | Ray Fowler .org
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
FourPart

Why?

Post by FourPart »

Bryn Mawr;1491487 wrote: On the other hand, why was Easter based on the lunar calendar in the first place?
Put quite simply, because Easter has nothing to do with Christianity in the first place. It is the Pagan festival of Eostre which was hijacked by the Romans and as you know, most Pagan activity is Lunar / Solar based.

The pagan roots of Easter | Heather McDougall | Opinion | The Guardian
Ted

Why?

Post by Ted »

It is amazing how a, in many ways, simple story becomes embellished. The Easter story and the Christmas story are MIDRASH>

Return to “Christianity”