All Christians know, or should know........

Discuss the Christian Faith.
binbag

Post by binbag »

recovering conservative;1342607 wrote: You didn't pull that quote from my latest post, and you have shown no interest in answering any questions from either post regardless. My conclusion is that there are two methods for those claiming to be following the exclusive revealed truth:

1. the 'you're going to hell' speech or

2. the soft sell approach -- which does not mention the consequences until the subject starts showing signs of agreement.

If you read my reply again rc, you will note I said.....

"I would happily offer you answers".
[FONT=Arial]Just above the clouds

the sun is always shining.

[/FONT]
binbag

Post by binbag »

Ted;1342631 wrote: For Christians the Bible becomes the "Word of God" not by virtue of its authorship but by virtue of the belief that God speaks to us through the very human words of the Bible. Kung. Shalom

Ted

Ted, I'm not sure if I misunderstsand you, but the Word of God was written by humans, with and by, the authority of God.

Are you saying that's wrong?

[/FONT]
Ted

Post by Ted »

binbag

What I am saying is that yes the Bible was written by humans. It is their response to their interpretation of their experience of the Divine. In many places it contradicts itself and it also presents war crimes as acceptable to God, indeed commanded by him. Num 31. Were these men inspired? I would say yes and so are many others today whom write. It has become a sacred document because that is how we take it. That is the value that we ascribe to it.

It is interesting to note that other documents for other faiths, such as Islam also claim to be the "Word of God".

I do not believe that any of these books are in and of themselves by direct dictation or other wise, of God. Inspired books have also been written by many other church fathers and non religious folks. Far too many people put themselves in bondage to the book when in fact a follower of Jesus should not be in bondage to any doctrine or dogma or even a book.

The phrase "The Word of God" rightly belongs to only the "Risen One" and not to any book. To place the book in that category becomes a form of idolatry and is a denial of John 14:25ff. Jesus has clearly told us that we would continue to be led into all truth as times goes on and we are ready to accept it.

Shalom

Ted
binbag

Post by binbag »

Ted;1342740 wrote: binbag

What I am saying is that yes the Bible was written by humans. It is their response to their interpretation of their experience of the Divine. In many places it contradicts itself and it also presents war crimes as acceptable to God, indeed commanded by him. Num 31. Were these men inspired? I would say yes and so are many others today whom write. It has become a sacred document because that is how we take it. That is the value that we ascribe to it.

It is interesting to note that other documents for other faiths, such as Islam also claim to be the "Word of God".

I do not believe that any of these books are in and of themselves by direct dictation or other wise, of God. Inspired books have also been written by many other church fathers and non religious folks. Far too many people put themselves in bondage to the book when in fact a follower of Jesus should not be in bondage to any doctrine or dogma or even a book.

The phrase "The Word of God" rightly belongs to only the "Risen One" and not to any book. To place the book in that category becomes a form of idolatry and is a denial of John 14:25ff. Jesus has clearly told us that we would continue to be led into all truth as times goes on and we are ready to accept it.

Shalom

TedYour approach of looking at things differs completely from mine Ted.

I think it best we agree to differ and after this reply I'm going to try and get the topic back on track.

I'd like to emphasise I have no ulterior motive for starting this particular topic as appears to be the impression of some members.

bb

[/FONT]

Return to “Christianity”