Christians Only: Which Denomination Do You Worship In and Why?

Discuss the Christian Faith.
skinsguy

Post by skinsguy »

Christians Only Please.

This isn't necessarily a debate on which denomination is more "right". It's basically just for me to get to know more about each Christian denomination and find out the similarities and differences. I'm sure I might have a few questions, but keep in mind, it's basically because I am wanting to learn.

But, anyways, I wanted to know (IF there are any Christians on this board) which denomination you worship in and why? I'll start:

I was raised in an Assemblies of God church. Now, I haven't attended the same church all my life, but for the most part, the same type of church. I have also attended a Baptist church with my now deceased grandparents.

Want to hear from the rest of you guys.
Thanks,

Skinsguy
spot

Post by spot »

I'm a Methodist. Where I come from (England) that means I consider myself part of the Church of England and consequently an Anglican. The Church of England almost thinks the same about that as I do. In American terms I'd probably be described as Episcopalian which has its humorous side since British Methodism has no Bishops.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I am a Nazarene. Orientated to missions and evangelism, evangelical. My parents were missionaries with Church of God. (Anderson branch) I am the Instrumental Director at my church, and there is a small orchestra I conduct and play with for services.

Church of the Nazarene - Home
skinsguy

Post by skinsguy »

spot;1157117 wrote: I'm a Methodist. Where I come from (England) that means I consider myself part of the Church of England and consequently an Anglican. The Church of England almost thinks the same about that as I do. In American terms I'd probably be described as Episcopalian which has its humorous side since British Methodism has no Bishops.

So, I wonder if the American Methodists Churches are completely different from the ones in England?
Thanks,

Skinsguy
skinsguy

Post by skinsguy »

chonsigirl;1157126 wrote: I am a Nazarene. Orientated to missions and evangelism, evangelical. My parents were missionaries with Church of God. (Anderson branch) I am the Instrumental Director at my church, and there is a small orchestra I conduct and play with for services.

Church of the Nazarene - Home

Cool Chonsigirl! Sounds close to the Assemblies of God.
Thanks,

Skinsguy
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

It is. :)
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

I was born and raised a Lutheran, Missouri Synod, and have known Jesus as my Savior since I was little.

As I believe there is only one God but many religions and/or denominations to worship Him in, I was confirmed an Episcopalian prior to getting married (as future husband was of this faith). My husband did not think it was necessary for me to change, but I did. I think it is very important to be united in this aspect of ones life especially when children will be brought into the world. I also knew he would not change his faith and since the particular denomination did not matter to me, I changed so that we would be a family of one faith. I have never regreted this action. I am now an Episcopalian and I, like my husband, would not change from this denomination to another.

I love the liturgy of the Episcopal Church and greatly appreciate that I can go into an Episcopal Church anywhere and follow the service.

The Episcopal Church is the thinking person's church and is very inclusive of all peoples. I feel whole within this faith.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
skinsguy

Post by skinsguy »

Kindle;1157138 wrote: I was born and raised a Lutheran, Missouri Synod, and have known Jesus as my Savior since I was little.

As I believe there is only one God but many religions and/or denominations to worship Him in, I was confirmed an Episcopalian prior to getting married (as future husband was of this faith). My husband did not think it was necessary for me to change, but I did. I think it is very important to be united in this aspect of ones life especially when children will be brought into the world. I also knew he would not change his faith and since the particular denomination did not matter to me, I changed so that we would be a family of one faith. I have never regreted this action. I am now an Episcopalian and I, like my husband, would not change from this denomination to another.

I love the liturgy of the Episcopal Church and greatly appreciate that I can go into an Episcopal Church anywhere and follow the service.

The Episcopal Church is the thinking person's church and is very inclusive of all peoples. I feel whole within this faith.

I agree with you. I think if a couple is going to be married, that they need to be unified in their beliefs and go to the same church. It can get confusing for the little ones.

So, what do you mean when you say "thinking person's church?"
Thanks,

Skinsguy
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

skinsguy;1157148 wrote: I agree with you. I think if a couple is going to be married, that they need to be unified in their beliefs and go to the same church. It can get confusing for the little ones.

So, what do you mean when you say "thinking person's church?"

We are governed by clergy and lay people working together. We use the gift of human reason in matters of faith and morals. We do not blindly follow; we question our understanding of God's will for us. Through this we grow in our spirituality and are the better for it.

spot

Post by spot »

skinsguy;1157128 wrote: So, I wonder if the American Methodists Churches are completely different from the ones in England?

I suspect the United Methodists are very similar other than in their administration. John Wesley ordained their ministry and gave them independence from the Church of England with Episcopal powers because they were on a different continent and needed to break free if they were to grow. Their doctrinal emphases are shared, they've not drifted off into pagan ways. I'm a member of one of their mailing lists and it feels like home.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ted

Post by Ted »

I like what Kindle has said about the Episcopalian church. I am a member of the Anglican Church of Canada which is basically the same as the Episcopalian church in the US.

I could add that I like the ability to have unity in diversity which I think will always exist. However, there are a few breakaway churches which is too bad. I too appreciate the ability this particular church grants us in being able to think for ourselves.

I was raised in a very fundamentalist/literalist church. I am quite content where I am now. Presently I am on the parish council, I am appointed to the Eucharistic ministry and also present sermons. I continue to study at the Vancouver School of Theology.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Clint

Post by Clint »

I think I'm going to find this tread interesting...it already is since my background is quite varied.

I was raised a Lutheran, baptized Augustana, attended Missouri Synod and confirmed in the Wisconsin Synod. As an adult I was American Synod before I became a Baptist where I was once again baptized. Later I became a member of the Church of the Nazarene where I became a full time minister and Senior Pastor of a congregation. I was successful as a pastor by everyone else’s measure but not by my own and returned to public service. I later affiliated with Messianic Judaism. At the present time I don’t attend church or belong to any denomination.:o
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
skinsguy

Post by skinsguy »

Kindle;1157162 wrote: We are governed by clergy and lay people working together. We use the gift of human reason in matters of faith and morals. We do not blindly follow; we question our understanding of God's will for us. Through this we grow in our spirituality and are the better for it.

I think that is the only way we grow as Christians is to question our understanding of God rather than to accept things for what they are. I think God wants us as Christians to have a better understanding of our faith.
Thanks,

Skinsguy
skinsguy

Post by skinsguy »

Clint;1157323 wrote: I think I'm going to find this tread interesting...it already is since my background is quite varied.

I was raised a Lutheran, baptized Augustana, attended Missouri Synod and confirmed in the Wisconsin Synod. As an adult I was American Synod before I became a Baptist where I was once again baptized. Later I became a member of the Church of the Nazarene where I became a full time minister and Senior Pastor of a congregation. I was successful as a pastor by everyone else’s measure but not by my own and returned to public service. I later affiliated with Messianic Judaism. At the present time I don’t attend church or belong to any denomination.:o

Wow, you do have quite the varied background! So why don't you attend church now?
Thanks,

Skinsguy
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

Clint;1157323 wrote: I think I'm going to find this tread interesting...it already is since my background is quite varied.

Desert time?

Clint

Post by Clint »

skinsguy;1157481 wrote: Wow, you do have quite the varied background! So why don't you attend church now? "Desert time?"… Maybe it is desert time, I really don't know. I'm not mad at anybody. I was just sitting there in a service and all of a sudden everything seemed contrived...no denomination or sect has a special window to the truth.

A short time before that I was thinking about how God speaks to us. I remembered better than 90% of communication is nonverbal. We are created in God’s image so it is reasonable to me that his communication with us is more than 90% nonverbal. Oddly, we focus on the written and wrangle over what it says in a book written in a culture for a culture that as hard as we try, we cannot relate to. At best, I think the book accounts for less than 10% of God’s communication with us. So I’m struggling with how to reconcile all of that.

Oh, I suppose the guys who told me I was flirting with Satan because I told them one of my Utility Workers had found a water line by witching for it might have had something to do with it.:wah:

In addition to all of that, life hit me like a freight train doing 90mph not too long ago. It has left me trying to get to know who I am again.

I miss the people so I hope I will be able to return to a congregation one day.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

Clint;1157647 wrote: "Desert time?"… Maybe it is desert time, I really don't know. I'm not mad at anybody. I was just sitting there in a service and all of a sudden everything seemed contrived...no denomination or sect has a special window to the truth.

A short time before that I was thinking about how God speaks to us. I remembered better than 90% of communication is nonverbal. We are created in God’s image so it is reasonable to me that his communication with us is more than 90% nonverbal. Oddly, we focus on the written and wrangle over what it says in a book written in a culture for a culture that as hard as we try, we cannot relate to. At best, I think the book accounts for less than 10% of God’s communication with us. So I’m struggling with how to reconcile all of that.

Oh, I suppose the guys who told me I was flirting with Satan because I told them one of my Utility Workers had found a water line by witching for it might have had something to do with it.:wah:

In addition to all of that, life hit me like a freight train doing 90mph not too long ago. It has left me trying to get to know who I am again.

I miss the people so I hope I will be able to return to a congregation one day.

I believe that you will find your place in the scheme of things again.

In the meantime, how will you be practicing your spirituality?

Clint

Post by Clint »

Kindle;1157699 wrote: I believe that you will find your place in the scheme of things again.

In the meantime, how will you be practicing your spirituality?

Since this tread is about denominations I'll say I've joined the church of quiet contemplation.

I have also realized the importance of being who I am in God where I am. That means that if God gives me a job where I have responsibility for people and their welfare (he has) then I should practice my faith where he has placed me. I'm not sure it's important for me to search beyond that for my place in life.
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

Clint;1157708 wrote: Since this tread is about denominations I'll say I've joined the church of quiet contemplation.

I have also realized the importance of being who I am in God where I am. That means that if God gives me a job where I have responsibility for people and their welfare (he has) then I should practice my faith where he has placed me. I'm not sure it's important for me to search beyond that for my place in life.

Psalm 46:10

I have faith that you will find that which you seek.

Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I grew up attending Assembly of God. I'm currently a member of a Southern Baptist church. I like and enjoy the church. But it's laws don't dictate my personal relationship with God. I think that is a personal relationship, which a pastor or church doesn't have much control of.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Clint

Post by Clint »

Sheryl;1157721 wrote: I grew up attending Assembly of God. I'm currently a member of a Southern Baptist church. I like and enjoy the church. But it's laws don't dictate my personal relationship with God. I think that is a personal relationship, which a pastor or church doesn't have much control of.

Do you find the Southern Baptist beliefs are closer to yours than those of other denominations? Or do you take it with a grain of salt and carry on with your personal relationship with God becasue you are close to the people there?
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Some I agree with, but others like the no dancing, no drinking, I just take with a grain of salt. I think if you have a close relationship with God, you will know what is expected of you.

I just don't think denominations are that important, I've never seen a specific one listed in the Bible. And in all churches, there are the believers who even though saved, continue to live by the flesh, instead of having a relationship with God.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Clint

Post by Clint »

Sheryl;1157789 wrote: Some I agree with, but others like the no dancing, no drinking, I just take with a grain of salt. I think if you have a close relationship with God, you will know what is expected of you.

I just don't think denominations are that important, I've never seen a specific one listed in the Bible. And in all churches, there are the believers who even though saved, continue to live by the flesh, instead of having a relationship with God.

Good points. I agree.

It's really about becoming all we were created to be.
skinsguy

Post by skinsguy »

Sheryl;1157789 wrote: Some I agree with, but others like the no dancing, no drinking, I just take with a grain of salt. I think if you have a close relationship with God, you will know what is expected of you.

Denominations are man-made. Every single one claims to be the correct one with the correct interpretation of the bible. As I've stated before, I think people in every single Christian denomination will make it to Heaven if they have the love of Christ in their hearts.

I agree with everything you said about the personal relationship.
Thanks,

Skinsguy
Daniyal

Post by Daniyal »

WikiAnswers - How is the Assembly of God church different from the Baptist church

Answer

The way they believe the religion, but there isn't much difference other than that, it's mostly what they do.

Differences in Doctrine:

First, anyone who responds to this question will have a bias. Typically, that includes those who primarily hold to either the Baptist or the Assembly of God doctrine, as well as those who want to harmoniously bridge all differences so that everyone gets along. Additionally, some will be emphatic that it is your own personal experience in the church that matters and not the trivialities of any particular doctrine.

The Assembly of God doctrine is commonly referred to as the "16 Fundamental Truths of the Assemblies of God." The points listed below are from a subset of this which they call their "four cardinal doctrines:"

Even though I am a baptist in doctrine, I hold no ill intent for those of the Assembly of God persuasion. However, there are seriously disturbing deviations from the bible's teaching in the Assembly of God doctrine. These include:

1. You can lose your salvation - a person can "fall from grace". Have to maintain a certain level of spirituality to remain saved. It is in effect, a "works" salvation.

2. The anti-biblical confusion of speaking in tongues - taught as a necessary result of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. Those who defend this often change the subject and defend the practice of speaking on tongues. Not the issue here! The point is whether speaking in tongues is a necessary sign as to whether a person has received the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

3. Hands-on faith-healing services. Though the Bible does teach us to pray for the sick, there is no guarantee that everyone will be healed. They teach that Jesus died on the cross to guarantee us physical healing. This practice includes "Slaying in the Spirit."

Answer

As an Assembly of God member who once attended a Baptist church, here's my take. Often the diverse nature of both denominations is not taken into account.

1. There often arises misunderstanding on the Assemblies of God position on this topic. Yes, we do believe in the possibility of salvation being lost. But no, we do not generally believe that one has to "maintain a certain level of spirituality to remain saved." We emphatically do not believe that we lose our salvation every time we sin - if so, none of us would make it. But we do believe that as salvation is through faith, we will lose our salvation if we renounce our faith. Individual sins will not forfeit salvation, but continuous sin can - and ultimately will, if not renounced - seriously undermine our faith. If our faith dies, so does our salvation. I should point out that there are Baptists who believe and teach this doctrine, too - David Pawson being a well known example (he takes this teaching much, much further than the Assemblies of God do, by the way - see his book, "Once Saved, Always Saved?").

2. We do teach that speaking in tongues is the evidence of being baptized in the Holy Spirit. Some of us would state that less dogmatically than others, but it is our official doctrine. The simple fact is that the apostles asked for no other sign that a believer was baptized in the Holy Spirit. This teaching, of course, presupposes a distinction between being born again and being baptized in the Holy Spirit - a distinction that some Baptist churches deny. Once again, however, some Baptists believe in this distinction as fervently as Pentecostals do, and I have heard it preached from at least one Baptist pulpit.

3. The Assemblies of God do not "guarantee" healing to everyone. We do teach that healing is in the Atonement, and I make no apology for that. But we recognize that not everybody gets healed. Why not is a difficult question. My own answer is like sickness, death itself is also broken by the Atonement - but all of us are going to die of something sooner or later, unless Jesus comes back in the meantime. Does that mean that the Atonement is void? No, but we'll have to wait until the resurrection of the righteous before we can experienced the totality of its provisions. By the way, I have attended Baptist services in which I have seen the laying on of hands, slaying in the Spirit, etc., every bit as much as in the Assemblies of God. It is important not to omit the diversity of Baptist theology.

Additional answer...

1. First answer mentions "16 Fundamental Doctrines" which, by the way, are all scriptural. Omission when trying to persuade or teach is precisely what almost prevented me from coming to faith. None of the "16 Fundamental Doctrines" of the Assemblies of God are extra-biblical and are for that reason accurate and true.

2. First answer states "The anti-biblical confusion of speaking in tongues." Anti-biblical? What is anti-biblical about quoting the word of God? Again the first answer omits, and interjects private interpretation, of which the Bible says that no scripture is of private interpretation. Study to show yourself aproved.

3. First answer apparently assumes that the Assemblies of God guarantees healing when "they" lay hands on you. (Who are they?) The fact that Lord is the one who heals is not mentioned by the writer. Also states that it includes "slaying in the spirit." While I would say that brevity is appropriate in some cases, this would not be one of them. When it comes to teaching and studying the Bible, one needs to remember that hitting the high spots just won't do. I would suggest finding out what the word "context" means and then make certain the given dotrine or scripture in question is not taken out of context. Blessings to you.

Argosy University® Online

Build Your Expertise & Advance Your Career in Education. Study Online.

online.argosy.edu

Master's in teaching

Take your love of teaching to the next level with Marygrove.

Marygrove College

Where is the True Church?

There are many churches but which is the true one? Do you know?

www.RealTruth.org/World_To_Come

First answer by ID2181938713. Last edit by Th.crosspointe. Contributor trust: 0 [recommend contributor]. Question popularity: 16 [recommend question]
Never Argue With An Idiot. They Drag You Down To Their Level Then Beat You With Experience.

When An Elder Passes On To Higher Life , Its Like One Of The Library Have Shut Down

To Desire Security Is A Sign Of Insecurity .

It's Not The Things One Knows That Get Him Or Her In Trouble , Its The Things One Knows That Just Isn't So That Get Them In Trouble

When you can control a man's thinking you don't have to worry about his action ...:driving:
southern yankee

Post by southern yankee »

I was raised a Catholic, but after a divorce. which was 26 years ago. i feel the church SHUT the door in my face. I searched for many years. and in 2 weeks i will be baptized a Baptist. The only way i can explain my choice. i feel accepted not condemed. for my past:)
spot

Post by spot »

Were you not baptised as a child?
Raven

Post by Raven »

skinsguy;1157077 wrote: Christians Only Please.

This isn't necessarily a debate on which denomination is more "right". It's basically just for me to get to know more about each Christian denomination and find out the similarities and differences. I'm sure I might have a few questions, but keep in mind, it's basically because I am wanting to learn.

But, anyways, I wanted to know (IF there are any Christians on this board) which denomination you worship in and why? I'll start:

I was raised in an Assemblies of God church. Now, I haven't attended the same church all my life, but for the most part, the same type of church. I have also attended a Baptist church with my now deceased grandparents.

Want to hear from the rest of you guys.
Sorry to join the conversation so late, but I have had academic duties to attend to.

Me, I am just a christian. I go to any church that worships God and the Lord, and allows me to take part in communion. I have been baptised twice. Once as a presbytarian (sp) as a baby, then at 12 in the Disciples of Christ church, which is a prarie type of protestant.

My life is based upon the Bible and what it says. Jesus did not wear a name tag, and He let his actions do the telling. So shall I. Where He goes, I follow.:-6
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

I posted this before. It might interest some.

QUOTE=hoppy;1282774]The Big Religion Comparison Chart: Compare World Religions - ReligionFacts

southern yankee

spot;1291218 wrote: Were you not baptised as a child? yes, but as a baby. i had no idea of it meaning and it's gifts. i now can understand and appreciate the true meaning of being baptized. This is a gift i will always remember and hopefully live up to.
Ted

Post by Ted »

I am presently reading a most interesting book entitled "Saving Jesus From the Church" by R. Meyers. A very worthwhile read with lots of research behind it.

Shalom

Raven

Post by Raven »

Ted;1291490 wrote: I am presently reading a most interesting book entitled "Saving Jesus From the Church" by R. Meyers. A very worthwhile read with lots of research behind it.

Shalom

That sounds like something I would be interested in reading, Thanks Ted.
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Ted

Post by Ted »

Raven:-6

The title intrigued me for sure. I got it from our priest. It also intrigued the saleslady at Chapters.

Shalom

DrLeftover

Post by DrLeftover »

I've always wondered what one would say at the Gate when they told you that God wasn't a Methodist or a Lutheran or whatever.
[Signature Removed]
southern yankee

drleftover;1291886 wrote: i've always wondered what one would say at the gate when they told you that god wasn't a methodist or a lutheran or whatever.
amen!!:)
freethinkingthuthseeker

Post by freethinkingthuthseeker »

Reminds me of a joke,

One chritain arring in heaven is being shown around by Peter but as they approcah one house he motions for the chritian to be quiet. After they pass it he wants to know why and Peter says "all the catholics are in that house and they think they are the only ones in heaven"!:)
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Ted;1291490 wrote: I am presently reading a most interesting book entitled "Saving Jesus From the Church" by R. Meyers. A very worthwhile read with lots of research behind it.

Shalom

I like it Ted. Is there a second volume "Saving God from Religion"???
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Ted

Post by Ted »

Pam:-6

I do not know of a second book but if I come across one I will bring it to your attention.

It is indeed a most interesting book and fits right in with my comments on how Jesus would be appalled with what we have done with and to him.

Shalom

AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Ted;1293294 wrote: Pam:-6

I do not know of a second book but if I come across one I will bring it to your attention.

It is indeed a most interesting book and fits right in with my comments on how Jesus would be appalled with what we have done with and to him.

Shalom

Thankyou Ted.

I suspect God might be appalled at how we humans have shrunk and twisted Him to fit our own small selfish, power-grabbing agendas and our own limited, blinkered understandings. Of course, if He's all knowing and all powerful, he made us this way and already knows what we're like, so He probably isn't appalled at all... it's a mystery.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Ted

Post by Ted »

Pam:-6

LOL

Shalom

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I live my life having the utmost empathy for people and I could never show a lack of sympathy for anyone let alone to whom others feel don't deserve any at all!

What denomination would any of you suggest this virtue is more closely related from an overall perspective?

Return to “Christianity”