Lent

Discuss the Christian Faith.
Kindle

Lent

Post by Kindle »

Lent has been kept in the church since the 2nd century in Alexandra. It is a time set apart to focus more intently on our interior life, the spiritual side of our nature.

Traditionally, one is supposed to give up something for Lent as well as take on something extra. The intent is to step outside your regular activities and replace some by focusing on prayer life, Scriture, other readings, or on acts of mercy. Not only kindness to others or suffering some fools gladly, but also things like feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, etc. A Lenten rule can be like a diet, i.e., something you do regularly to support and develop your spiritual sensibilities, awareness.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
Kindle

Lent

Post by Kindle »

This year I am giving up Bubble Shooter for Lent. Yes, it will be hard, as I am really addicted. However, I shall be using the time I would normally spend in playing this game to more fully commit myself to Spripture reading, meditation and prayer.

mikeinie

Lent

Post by mikeinie »

Kindle;1144608 wrote: Lent has been kept in the church since the 2nd century in Alexandra. It is a time set apart to focus more intently on our interior life, the spiritual side of our nature.

Traditionally, one is supposed to give up something for Lent as well as take on something extra. The intent is to step outside your regular activities and replace some by focusing on prayer life, Scriture, other readings, or on acts of mercy. Not only kindness to others or suffering some fools gladly, but also things like feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, etc. A Lenten rule can be like a diet, i.e., something you do regularly to support and develop your spiritual sensibilities, awareness.

I have given up all sweets, chocolate and crisps (potato chips). I am also going to try to shed 10lbs.
along-for-the-ride

Lent

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I grew up Catholic, so I'm very familiar with the Lenton tradition. As a child, I would give up candy and treats. On Sundays I could partake of treats if I chose. My family knelt in the living room and said the rosary together every evening during Lent. We would go to church and pray the "Stations of the Cross". Around the church there were pictures of Christ and his experiences during his last days of suffering. A solemn and refelctive time indeed.

The joy of the Easter holiday seemed to have meant more then.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Daniyal

Lent

Post by Daniyal »

The preparation for the so-called '' Greatest Feast of Christianity '' , Easter - proceeds in five peridos of penance . The first period is the Pre -Lent , from Septuagesima Sunday to Ask Wednesday ; the second period extends from Ash Wednesday to Passion Sunday which is the second week before Easter ; the third period consists of the sacred Triduum ( a period of three days of prayer) . devoted completely to the commemoration of the Prophet Messiah Jesus ' Passion ( Sufferings ) . The penitenial obervance reaches its peak , until it ends at the Easter vigil in the celebration of the so-called '' Resurrection '' The three ( 3 ) Sundays before Lents are called Septuagesima ( 70th ) , Sexagesima ( 60th ) and Quinquagesima ( 50th ) . They are not actually the 70th , 60th , or 50th days before the pagan holiday Easter , but those titles were given to these days in order to keep up with the older term of Quadragesima ( 40th ) which denotes the Sunday of Lent , the 40 weekdays from Ash Wednesday to Easter observed by the Christian church's imitation of the Messiah Jesus when he fasted in the desert for forty ( 40 ) days !! ( Matthew 4 ; 2 ) . The calendar of the Easter Season for the year 1991 A.D. begind with the Pre - lent Season , through to the Lent Season ( Ash Wednesday ) , Passover Feast and finally Easter . Bear in mind that this is a '' Christian calendar '' and that the calendar used to determine the Feast of the Passover was originally a '' Judaen Calendar .

Let us suppose for a moment that 1991 A.D. had been the year in which the Messiah Jesus had entered Jerusalem for the Feast of the Passover . If this were true , then the Lamb that had to be sacrificed for the Feast of the Passover would have been picked on the 21th of March , and the Feast of Passover would have taken place on the 9th of Apil . The Passover Feast was a one day affair , however , the holiday of the feast lasted for a total of 14vdays . The '' Feast of Unleavened Bread , '' as you can see by looking at the calendar , is celebrated the evening following the Feast of the Passover and lasts for seven days .

The Preparatory time of Pre - Lent is believe to have been suggested by the practice of the Byzantine Church , who began its fast earlier because their forty ( 40 ) days did not include Saturdays . However , it is said that the introduction of Pre - Lent was due to the frequent public calmities of the 6th century , sespecially the invasion of the Langobards , who devastated Italy , and threatened Rome . The danger prompted the Pope ( Pelagius l or John lll ) to set these weeks aside for a general '' penitential observance '' . Because the time of danger endured through the years , this celebration of Pre - Lent became a ( traditional annual observance ) . From Rome it spread to order parts of the Western Church .

Pre - Lent Season's are mentioned as early as 541 , in the Council of Orleans . During the latter part of the Pre - Lent ( from Quinquagesima on ) Priests and people in Latin Churches fasted voluntarily . On Sexagesima they started abstaining from meat , which was therefore called '' Meatless Sunday '' , With Quinquagesima the Church began ( and still begins ) the abstinence from butter , chesse , and eggs . In eastern Europe this day is called '' Chesseless Sunday '' . In Preparation for Lent people would , in medieval times , go to confession on Tuesday before Ash Wednesday . From this practice the day became known as '' Shrove Tuesday '' ( Shrove Tuesday is the last day before Lent ) the day in which confessions are heard and people are '' shriven from sins '' , meaning that their sins are ( as they believe ) removed and thus they can begin with a clean slate .

Fertility Rites

Just as many Christian customs and similar observance had their origin in pre - Christmas times , so too , the popular traditions of Lent and Easter date back to ancient '' nature rites '' The '' Springlore '' of the Indo - European race is '' their source '' in this case . From Yule to the Summer Solstices ( which was celebrated on June 24 ) . a '' tradition '' of Spring rites and symbolic fertility cults was practiced amongst many . The ancient pagans began their activities at the Winter Solstice when the day were shorter and lasted until April or May . In one fertility rite , '' the custom '' was to disguise themselves in strange costumes in order to '' frighten the demons of winter away '' , and at the same time hide their identity . Weating masks of horrible size and shape , they would run shouting and screaming through open spaces around their homes . Mummer's and carnival masquerades of later times and uproarious celebrations on days between Christmas and Easter are said to have found their origin in this fight .

Another rite of ; Frightening the Winter Away '' was the settings of fires between Yule and May . Connected to wooden wheels or rings , brand were set rolling down the meadows from the hilltops , In Germany the first Sunday of Lent is still called '' Brandsoontag '' ( Fire Sunday ) .

In the middle ages , the Feast of the Messiah Jesus's so-called resurrection became the favorite time for such ancient '' Water rites '' , In many parts of Eastern Europe and France , girls and women wash their faces in brooks and rivers on Easter , girls and women wash their faces in brooks and rivers on Easter morning . It is a wide spread legend that on Easter day all running water is specially blessed legend that on Easter day all running water is speacially blessed because the '' Risen Christ '' ( as they believed ) sanctified all life - giving elements and bestowed upon them speacial powers for the one day of his resurrection . The pagan belief has been adopted by the church who now blesses water on what the Christians call Holy Saturday . They call the water Holy Water and distribute it to the people who used it for many purpose ; to sprinkle around their homes , for protection against Evil , Illnesses , Etc .
Never Argue With An Idiot. They Drag You Down To Their Level Then Beat You With Experience.

When An Elder Passes On To Higher Life , Its Like One Of The Library Have Shut Down

To Desire Security Is A Sign Of Insecurity .

It's Not The Things One Knows That Get Him Or Her In Trouble , Its The Things One Knows That Just Isn't So That Get Them In Trouble

When you can control a man's thinking you don't have to worry about his action ...:driving:
Daniyal

Lent

Post by Daniyal »

When the winter has disappeared , the ancient pagans would celebrate '' Winter Burial '' , They would with mock sadness , or wild and joyous abandonment , drag a straw figure , often of a giant size , through the village accompanied by a large crowd of '' Mourners '' wearing masquerades . Such burials of winter are still held in many countries . The ceremonies however have been interpreted as the burial of carnival , or the burning of Judas on Holy Saturday !! With the fight between Summer and Winter , many celebrations were held to show how anxious the people were for the warm coming season and to insure as well , the blessing of fertility . A special power of protection and healing were attributed to plants and flower , when they first appeared People would plant flower gardens and decorate their houses with flowers .

Water assumed in the mind of the people a '' magic '' role of producing '' fertility , health and new life '' , This is the basis of many ancient water rites . Women and girls were sprinkled with water to insure them the blessing of fertility and good health . Even today , you are told that if the first rain in May touches you face , it will make you beautiful .

40 Hour Devotion

The prime reason for carnival celebration during the Pre -Lent season is feasting and rejoicing before the season of fast and abstinence . Another reason was the necessity for finishing those foods which could not be eaten during Lent , and which could not even be kept in the houses ; Meat , Butter , Milk , Eggs , Fats , and Bacon . This meant that the people would '' consume large amounts of food '' before Ask Wednesday the first day of Lent . Hence the name of Tuesday became '' Fat Tuesday '' The forty hour devotion was added to the feast as way in which to atone in prayer and penance for the ( many excesses and scandals ) committed during the carnival time . These days or hours , were instituted by Poep Benedict XIV , in 1748 . The 40 hour of carnival is held in many '' churches . The sacrament is exposed all day Monday and Tuesday and devotion are held in the evening .

The Lent Season

Lent ; the 40 Weekdays from Ash Wednesday to Easter observed by the Roman Catholic Eastern and some Protestant Churches as a period of penitence and fasting . Lent ; from the middle English meaning '' Spring - time '' . Lent ; from Old English '' Lengten Related to old high German '' Lenzin '' meaning Spring . The season of Lent comprises of a forty day period beginning on Ash Wednesday and ending on the Eve of Easter . The six Sundays in Lent are not a part of the observance of Lent . Thus the season itself covers forty ( 40 ) days . Sundays or commemorations of Easter , have always been excluded from the Lent Fast .

The date of Ash Wednesday is determined by the date of Easter as you can see in the following calendar . Easter Dates Years Ash Wednesday

1979 Feb , 28 , Apr , 15 .... 1980 Feb , 20 Apr , 6 ..... 1981 Mar . 4 , Apr 19 ...... 1982 Feb , 25 Apr , 11 .....1983 Feb , 16 , Apr , 3 ...... 1984 Mar . 7 , Apr , 22 ..... 1985 Feb . 20 , Apr . 7 .....1986 Feb , 12 , Mar . 30 ....... 1987 Mar , 4 , Apr . 19 ....... 1988 Feb , 17 , Apr . 3 ...... 1989 Feb . 8 , Mar . 26 ...... 1990 Feb , 28 , Apr . 15 .,...... 1991 Feb , 13 , Mar . 31 ...... 1992 Mar . 4 , Apr . 19 ...
Never Argue With An Idiot. They Drag You Down To Their Level Then Beat You With Experience.

When An Elder Passes On To Higher Life , Its Like One Of The Library Have Shut Down

It's Not The Things One Knows That Get Him Or Her In Trouble , Its The Things One Knows That Just Isn't So That Get Them In Trouble

When you can control a man's thinking you don't have to worry about his action ...:driving:
Daniyal

Lent

Post by Daniyal »

Thus , if Ester falls on March 31st of this year , then Ash Wednesday , or Lent as it is also called , falls on February 13th of this year . Holy Week , the Last Week in Lent , begins with Palm Sunday

. It is said that the observance of Lent developed from two sources . Originally it was a period of fasting which preceded the pagan holiday Easter and in the early days of the Church this period of fasting was held on Saturday , the day before Easter. This fast lasted until 3 A..M. Easter morning when the communion was celebrated . This ceremony symbolizes the belief that the Messiah Jesus rose from the dead early in the morning . , Later , this fast was extended to six days and eventually absorbed into the events of the Christian's so-called Holy week . The second source of origin of the lent season is the Church's baptism of candidates into the Church on the Eve of Ester , Candidates were carefully screened and there was a long period of preparation . A fasting of 40 days was required , this was done as an imitation of when the Mesiah Jesus spent 40 days in the wilderness , when Moses spent 40 days on Mount Sinai and when the Prophet Elijah fasted on the way the Mount of Most High .

The Book of Matthew related the fast of the Messiah Jesus Hadith Of Matthew 4 ; 2 [ Recorded 41 ] And I Quote ; And When ( He Had Fasted Forty Days And Forty Night ) , He Was Afterward And Hungered ''

The Torah ( 5 Books of Moses ) related to the fast of the Prophet Moses ;

The Torah ( 5 Books of Moses ) Of The Prophet / Apostle Moses ) Exodus 34 ; 28 [ In Part ] [ Revealed 1512 B.C.E. In The Wilderness ] And I Quote ; And He Was There With The Sustainer ( Forty Days And Forty Night ) ; He Did Neither Eat Bread , Nor Drink Water ...

The Prophet / Apostle Moses ( 1593 - 1473 B.C.E. ) He was a direct descendant of The Prophet Abraham through his father Imraan . He received 613 Laws divinely written by The Most High . The Torah [ The First Five Books Of Bible ] Was revealed to him .

The Prophet Elijah ( 942 - 884 B.C.E. ) Was a Tishbite who lived during the time of the Torah but his spirit returned to dwell within the The Prophet John The Baptist , The herald of the last Israelite Prophet , The Messiah Jesus . So The Prophet Elijah and The Prophet John The Baptist are one and the same , Not in the flesh , But in spirit . The Prophet John The Baptist was not the reincarnation of The Prophet Elijah But the fulfillment of the prophecy in Malachi 4 ; 5 - 6 . The Prophet Elijah was the herald of the confirmation of the laws of The Prophet Moses and the confirmation was The Messiah Jesus .

The Book of Kings l Prophet Samuel relates the fast of the Prophet Elijah ..

The Book of Kings l Prophet Samuel 19 ; 8 [ Raevealed 921 B.C.E. ] And I Quote ; And He Arose , And Did Eat And Drink , And Went In The Strength Of That Meat ( Forty Days And Forty Night ) Unto Hored The Mount Of The Most High .

Eventually this period of preparation for baptism became a general period of preparation for Easter to be '' Observed by all Christians . Here you see where you are lead to believe that the observance of Lent is an imitation of these Prophets of The Most High . However , the truth is that The Forty Days Abstinence of Lent was directly borrowed from the worshippers of the Babylonian Goddess . Such a Lent of forty days , in the Spring year , is still observed by the Yezidis or Pagan Devil - Worshippers of Kurdistan , who have inherited it from their early master , the Babylonians . A Lent of forty days was also observed in Egypte . This Egyptian lent of forty days was observed especially in honor of Osiris , also known as Adonis in Syria and Tammuz in Babylonia . Osiris , as you have already learned , is none other than Nimrod , the son of Cush , who was the son of Ham , whose father was the Apostle Noah .

cigar898

Lent

Post by cigar898 »

Kindle;1144614 wrote: This year I am giving up Bubble Shooter for Lent. Yes, it will be hard, as I am really addicted. However, I shall be using the time I would normally spend in playing this game to more fully commit myself to Spripture reading, meditation and prayer.

Sorry but what is Bubble Shooter? I've never heard of it.
Those who made the ultimate sacrifice thought YOU were worth dying for. Remember THEM

I'm Pro-Life, Pro-Gun, Christian, and a proud Veteran. Therefore, my government has labeled me a "right-wing extremist", a militia member, and a possible domestic terrorist
chonsigirl

Lent

Post by chonsigirl »

It's a game in the arcade......:)
Kindle

Lent

Post by Kindle »

chonsigirl;1233099 wrote: It's a game in the arcade......:)

Not just a game............ An addiction!

Calhouncam

Lent

Post by Calhouncam »

Lent, in Christian tradition, is the period of the liturgical year leading up to Easter. Lent is a forty-day period before Easter. It begins on Ash Wednesday. We skip Sundays when we count the forty days, because Sundays commemorate the Resurrection. In Orthodox churches, this season is called the Great Lent.
Christmas Decoration
AussiePam

Lent

Post by AussiePam »

Calhouncam;1290622 wrote: Lent, in Christian tradition, is the period of the liturgical year leading up to Easter. Lent is a forty-day period before Easter. It begins on Ash Wednesday. We skip Sundays when we count the forty days, because Sundays commemorate the Resurrection. In Orthodox churches, this season is called the Great Lent.

Yes, today in Australia is Shrove Tuesday, pancake day, mardi gras. And tomorrow is Ash wednesday, the first day of the Lenten season.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

mikeinie

Lent

Post by mikeinie »

Yup, Pancake Tuesday today, then it is time to give it all up again.

Interesting seeing the post from last year… lost the 10lbs, but it back on again, so here we go again….
chonsigirl

Lent

Post by chonsigirl »

I looked up the term Pancake Tuesday, that was interesting.

Lent begins on different days, depending if it is an Orthodox or Protestant/Catholic calendar date.

Always thought that was unfair, being married to an orthodox, he can still be munching on the goodies an extra week than me.........But than, on the other end, they always have been indulgent with me, celebrating the "wrong" day for Easter. :wah:
Omni_Skittles

Lent

Post by Omni_Skittles »

I'm taking part in lent for the first time... My church actually called us to take part in it for the first time ever... i really feel like i need to get closer with Christ and so i'm giving up food but apparently on sunday's i'm good to go... but with the money i'd spend eating i'm instead buying the groceries and giving to a local pantry... and to a food thing at our church... I def cannot do this but i am going to try all things are possible through Christ, right?
Smoke signals ftw!
chonsigirl

Lent

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, it is a good thing to give up something and the money goes to a worth-while cause.

Now Omni, you do not give up totally on food, you have to eat you know.

(I am giving up chocolate, I am taking my big box of chocolate candy, unopened, to school tomorrow, the teachers will polish it off before I am tempted too much)

I think the hardest thing one year was sugar-it is in everything, that was a hard Lent. But I don't want to loose a bunch of weight, have to work alot you know. So I went for chocolate this year.
Omni_Skittles

Lent

Post by Omni_Skittles »

chonsigirl;1290793 wrote: Yes, it is a good thing to give up something and the money goes to a worth-while cause.

Now Omni, you do not give up totally on food, you have to eat you know.

(I am giving up chocolate, I am taking my big box of chocolate candy, unopened, to school tomorrow, the teachers will polish it off before I am tempted too much)

I think the hardest thing one year was sugar-it is in everything, that was a hard Lent. But I don't want to loose a bunch of weight, have to work alot you know. So I went for chocolate this year.well yea lol i meant i give up eating out cause that's where most of my money is spent...
Smoke signals ftw!
chonsigirl

Lent

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, eat at home or in the school cafeteria. Yes, a starving young student and all you are. (gosh, I remember those days!)
Omni_Skittles

Lent

Post by Omni_Skittles »

chonsigirl;1290796 wrote: Oh, eat at home or in the school cafeteria. Yes, a starving young student and all you are. (gosh, I remember those days!)ick the caf... I'm officially depressed but i realized i spend over 50 dollars in one weekend on eating out lunch and dinner only cause i sleep through breakfast lol and the caf is free... but it's so... grodie!!!!
Smoke signals ftw!
chonsigirl

Lent

Post by chonsigirl »

You will eat grodie, and donate to a worthy cause. It will not seem grodie after a few days. :)
Omni_Skittles

Lent

Post by Omni_Skittles »

chonsigirl;1290801 wrote: You will eat grodie, and donate to a worthy cause. It will not seem grodie after a few days. :)I'm such a spoiled american haha
Smoke signals ftw!
chonsigirl

Lent

Post by chonsigirl »

Ah, but you will be happy at the end of Lent, and so will someone else.

Wake up early tomorrow, and go have brekkie in the cafe. The first days are hard, but after that, it really will be easy, Skittles.
spot

Lent

Post by spot »

Does your college hold a special Ash Wednesday church service, young Skittles?

The Church of England place round the corner here does. it's very High Church with lots of sung choral elements and a whiff of incense with lots of priests supporting each other. I might go, I'm not quite decided yet. It's a long way short of the old-style reminder to the community of quite how dreadful they are but that form of ritual is very much frowned on now.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

Lent

Post by chonsigirl »

Is it really, spot? Traditional Catholic churches will hold services. Protestant churches are more subdued, it is not a ritual often performed anymore.
spot

Lent

Post by spot »

chonsigirl;1290808 wrote: Is it really, spot? Traditional Catholic churches will hold services. Protestant churches are more subdued, it is not a ritual often performed anymore.

I'm not sure how the Roman service goes but A Commination. is based on pre-reformation practice in England, it's the full strength version which you'd have to look hard to find practised here. I'm sure there are a few parishes which will dust off the cobwebs and go for it tomorrow.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

Lent

Post by chonsigirl »

Wow, that was an interesting liturgy. Let us know if you attend and if was like that, spot.

I've never been to a Catholic service on Ash wednesday, so I have no comparison.
spot

Lent

Post by spot »

chonsigirl;1290815 wrote: Wow, that was an interesting liturgy. Let us know if you attend and if was like that, spot.I used to sneak bits of that in when I was prayer-leading but only in small doses. I think it's wonderful stuff though.
AussiePam

Lent

Post by AussiePam »

Here the more Catholic part of the Anglican Church and the Catholic Church both offer a special service on Ash Wednesday. Before you take Communion you get ashed. The priest, traces a cross on your forehead with ash traditionally made from burning the little palm crosses from the previous year's Palm Sunday. The priest says something like "Remember (O man) that you are dust, and to dust you shall return"..

Symbolically, it's all great, and part of the rich tapestry of the traditional church year. The colour of vestments etc is purple, and flowers are not normally put in the church during Lent. It used also to be the tradition not to celebrate marriages during this penitential time.

In some religious communities, fasting is still taken fairly seriously. You don't totally not eat, except during the period from Good Friday to the Easter Vigil Mass on Holy Saturday, but food is minimal, simple like vegetables, bread and water.

I've seen some extreme Lenten "mortification of the flesh" and noticed it usually seemed to impact unfortunately on other people. You don't eat, you get crabby and take it out on others. You don't sleep, ditto. Or you sit in a cold bath, get ill, and someone else has to look after you.

I think the real point of Lent is to be a bit more recollected, in the spiritual sense of the word, maybe avoid excesses, and instead of giving things up, maybe taking on a few things to make other people's lives better. It's a private thing too. The Bible suggests it's something we should do quietly, without drawing attention to our observances.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

chonsigirl

Lent

Post by chonsigirl »

Very wise, Pam.

I know Russian Orthodox has full fast from Good Friday to Easter, I think my husband is happy I'm a Protestant and cook for him all weekend long.
spot

Lent

Post by spot »

chonsigirl;1290828 wrote: I think my husband is happy I'm a Protestant and cook for him all weekend long.
On a point of information and just to show how strange History can be, both the Church of England and the British Methodist Church maintain steadfastly that they're Catholic, not Protestant. The Roman Church, not surprisingly, disagrees.
chonsigirl

Lent

Post by chonsigirl »

Wow, I never knew that, spot.

Ah, my in-laws know I'm Protestant, watch me like a hawk when I go inside their church.....:wah:
Omni_Skittles

Lent

Post by Omni_Skittles »

spot;1290805 wrote: Does your college hold a special Ash Wednesday church service, young Skittles?

The Church of England place round the corner here does. it's very High Church with lots of sung choral elements and a whiff of incense with lots of priests supporting each other. I might go, I'm not quite decided yet. It's a long way short of the old-style reminder to the community of quite how dreadful they are but that form of ritual is very much frowned on now.actually... no our school doesn't. The church i go to kind of just asked us to try it out...
Smoke signals ftw!

Return to “Christianity”