Shrove tuesday

Discuss the Christian Faith.
Kindle

Shrove tuesday

Post by Kindle »

Tuesday, February 24, is the final day before the Lenten fast.

“Shrove” Tuesday refers to the ancient practice of being “shriven” (confessing and receiving absolution) in order to begin and keep a holy Lent.

What daily disciplines will you be keeping this Lent?

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
qsducks

Shrove tuesday

Post by qsducks »

Kindle;1143862 wrote: Tuesday, February 24, is the final day before the Lenten fast.

“Shrove” Tuesday refers to the ancient practice of being “shriven” (confessing and receiving absolution) in order to begin and keep a holy Lent.

What daily disciplines will you be keeping this Lent?

None. The FOC'rs from England don't know what we're talking about. Explain to them please.
kazalala

Shrove tuesday

Post by kazalala »

qsducks;1143893 wrote: None. The FOC'rs from England don't know what we're talking about. Explain to them please.

thats because you were calling it Fat Tuesday:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
spot

Shrove tuesday

Post by spot »

Kindle;1143862 wrote: What daily disciplines will you be keeping this Lent?Unnatural politeness. It'll be a strain but I'm determined this year.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
qsducks

Shrove tuesday

Post by qsducks »

spot;1143901 wrote: Unnatural politeness. It'll be a strain but I'm determined this year.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
kazalala

Shrove tuesday

Post by kazalala »

spot;1143901 wrote: Unnatural politeness. It'll be a strain but I'm determined this year.

when will you be starting:-2

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
spot

Shrove tuesday

Post by spot »

kazalala;1143904 wrote: when will you be starting:-2

Midnight, bozo.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Kindle

Shrove tuesday

Post by Kindle »

Shrove Tuesday is a term used in Ireland, the United Kingdom, and Australia for the day preceding the first day of the Christian season of fasting and prayer called Lent.

The word shrove is the past tense of the English verb shrive, which means to obtain absolution for one's sins by way of Confession and doing penance. Thus Shrove Tuesday gets its name from the shriving that English Christians were expected to do prior to receiving absolution immediately before Lent begins. Shrove Tuesday is the last day of "shrovetide", the English equivalent to the Carnival tradition that developed separately in countries of Latin Europe. The term "Shrove Tuesday" is no longer widely known in the United States outside of Liturgical Traditions, such as the Lutheran, Episcopal, and Roman Catholic Churches. Because of the increase in many immigrant populations and traditions since the 19th century "Mardi Gras" is much more widely-used.

The festival is widely associated with the eating of foods such as pancakes, and often known simply as Pancake Day, originally because these used up ingredients such as fat and eggs, the consumption of which was traditionally restricted during Lent.

Kindle

Shrove tuesday

Post by Kindle »

Good for you, Spot! :-6

qsducks

Shrove tuesday

Post by qsducks »

Kindle;1143914 wrote: Shrove Tuesday is a term used in Ireland, the United Kingdom, and Australia for the day preceding the first day of the Christian season of fasting and prayer called Lent.

The word shrove is the past tense of the English verb shrive, which means to obtain absolution for one's sins by way of Confession and doing penance. Thus Shrove Tuesday gets its name from the shriving that English Christians were expected to do prior to receiving absolution immediately before Lent begins. Shrove Tuesday is the last day of "shrovetide", the English equivalent to the Carnival tradition that developed separately in countries of Latin Europe. The term "Shrove Tuesday" is no longer widely known in the United States outside of Liturgical Traditions, such as the Lutheran, Episcopal, and Roman Catholic Churches. Because of the increase in many immigrant populations and traditions since the 19th century "Mardi Gras" is much more widely-used.

The festival is widely associated with the eating of foods such as pancakes, and often known simply as Pancake Day, originally because these used up ingredients such as fat and eggs, the consumption of which was traditionally restricted during Lent.

So that's where Fat Tuesday came into play?
kazalala

Shrove tuesday

Post by kazalala »

spot;1143909 wrote: Midnight, bozo.

:pexcellent:Dwell im usually polite,,, maybe i should start being rude:sneaky:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
qsducks

Shrove tuesday

Post by qsducks »

kazalala;1143924 wrote: :pexcellent:Dwell im usually polite,,, maybe i should start being rude:sneaky:

Nobody would recognize you Kaz:yh_rotfl. They think you lost your mind.:yh_rotfl
kazalala

Shrove tuesday

Post by kazalala »

qsducks;1143926 wrote: Nobody would recognize you Kaz:yh_rotfl. They think you lost your mind.:yh_rotfl

I quite often do:-3:D

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
qsducks

Shrove tuesday

Post by qsducks »

kazalala;1143928 wrote: I quite often do:-3:D

That's what happens when you become a parent. You forget everything:wah:

Return to “Christianity”