Do you find more people turn to god as they get older?

Discuss the Christian Faith.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Is it a fear of dying?
ButterflyPrincess

Post by ButterflyPrincess »

yes actually I do. My husband and i were talking about this last night or the night before. I think it is the fear of what might happen to them if they don't get blessed or believe in God. I don't think it's that they fear death itself though.
Ted

Post by Ted »

It would appear that man has always had the desire to seek out the divine. There is evidence of this from as far back as the stone age.

Shalom

Ted:-6
guppy

Post by guppy »

to me, it looks like some go their own ways..selfiously. As they get older they realize they are not immortal and then seek the divine. selfiously still.:thinking:
Ted

Post by Ted »

guppy:-6

I think you are correct for some folks. People have many motivating factors.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Clint

Post by Clint »

If we put forth the effort to live each day the best we can we won't have time or the engergy to think about dying. If that is how we live we will believe we are going to live in the midst of dying and death will surpise us.

My mother says, "I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens.":wah:
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Take the word FEAR out.

Fear out of dying - Most & I say most elderly are not afraid of dying.

Why the elderly turn to church could be a number of reasons.

and I don't care why .

choice Bridge club / church ??

I know many, many don't fear death, I don't.

Patsy
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

I think that it is because people become more cynical as they get older, they loose faith in their leaders, they see the mess the world is in and realize that all the hopes they had of changing the world when they were younger have vanished away. Then they realize that it is hell we are living in and if this is hell, then there must be a heaven and start praying to get back some of the hope that they have lost over the years.
twistwoods

Post by twistwoods »

Of course it could just be that the majority of people get wiser as they get older! Or it could be that they realise there is no lasting satisfaction in chasing the almighty dollar / euro / pound or yen and there is much more satisfaction in searching for Almighty God - especially as, unlike money, God is easy to find if you really want to!
Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. (Proverbs 12:18)
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

mikeinie;965279 wrote: I think that it is because people become more cynical as they get older, they loose faith in their leaders, they see the mess the world is in and realize that all the hopes they had of changing the world when they were younger have vanished away. Then they realize that it is hell we are living in and if this is hell, then there must be a heaven and start praying to get back some of the hope that they have lost over the years.

sorry, rough day at the office:thinking:
Lon

Post by Lon »

Well, I am 74 and am in the process of dying, as we all are. I know many in my age group that do not fear death, just the process. I developed into a atheist as I got older and know many geriatrics that feel the same way.

Return to “Christianity”