It takes a Lot of Faith to be an Atheist

Discuss the Christian Faith.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

fuzzy butt;782500 wrote: I don't consider my kids a gift. My choice to lay with a man and my responsiblility there after. It's simple genetics and biology.

some believe their children are gifts some believe it's a punishment for past sins and some believe it's God trying to teach them something about themselves. Either way that's not a Christian belief.

My baby is a gift from God, I prayed for him on almost a daily basis for 10 years! I never gave up on the hope that God would answer my prayer and finally He did!
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

fuzzy butt;782500 wrote: I don't consider my kids a gift. My choice to lay with a man and my responsiblility there after. It's simple genetics and biology.

some believe their children are gifts some believe it's a punishment for past sins and some believe it's God trying to teach them something about themselves. Either way that's not a Christian belief.
What the huh? How on earth can you say that!!! Do you not remember Samuel... or John... that's pretty not correct on your part!
Smoke signals ftw!
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Omni_Skittles;782537 wrote: What the huh? How on earth can you say that!!! Do you not remember Samuel... or John... that's pretty not correct on your part!Oh and best example yet... Jesus... i mean that's a pretty huge amazing miracle...
Smoke signals ftw!
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

Jester;782532 wrote: Hope, lots of folks here wont agree with you, they arent exactly athiests, some beilive in God in varying degrees, of course soem dont at all. I will tell ya though, everybody on this thread arguing back at ya is a pretty darn good person. At least that my experince with them.

;)

Welcome to the garden!

Thanks for the insight, I've always thought you can be a good person regardless of your religious beliefs.
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Hope6;782539 wrote: Thanks for the insight, I've always thought you can be a good person regardless of your religious beliefs.uh that's a lie. If your not a Christian you're a horrible person
Smoke signals ftw!
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

I'm not one of those people who believe that you can't be a good person if you don't think like me! Don't try to put me in that mold because I won't fit.
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Jester;782541 wrote: Skittles! Was that sarcasm? :wah:No it is all biblical!!! Did you not know...
Smoke signals ftw!
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Hope6;782542 wrote: I'm not one of those people who believe that you can't be a good person if you don't think like me! Don't try to put me in that mold because I won't fit.uhhh huh?
Smoke signals ftw!
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

Alright, time to stir the pot a little more:wah: I have another question. I know that many of you don't believe in a Christian God but what about all the other religions in the world, do you believe there could be any kind of higher power?
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Jester;782546 wrote: Look down at the bottom of the board and you'll see flopstock down there hangin out.

Now that lady loves her children, works hard, follows the law (cep't for speeding now and then)...

It's between God and her if shes is righteous or not, but from my perspective shes one great lady for all the reasons above.

You have to be careful about calling folks 'bad'. God judges the heart, we can't know it for certain.Yes it was sarcasm! sheesh lol if i believed that truly... that would be sad. but for arguments sake... "if you don't have God in your heart and believe his son died on the cross for your sins, You're going to hell! Hence you're a horrible person!" to back that up "all have fallen short of the glory of God" which makes you a sinner hence hell hence horrible person. yep yep....
Smoke signals ftw!
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Jester;782548 wrote: That would make you molded! :wah: Oh I kill me sometimes! :wah:you kill me! lol that was soo lame... but okay haha
Smoke signals ftw!
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

Jester;782548 wrote: That would make you molded! :wah: Oh I kill me sometimes! :wah:

Ha Ha very funny:wah:
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

Jester;782546 wrote: Look down at the bottom of the board and you'll see flopstock down there hangin out.

Now that lady loves her children, works hard, follows the law (cep't for speeding now and then)...

It's between God and her if shes is righteous or not, but from my perspective shes one great lady for all the reasons above.

You have to be careful about calling folks 'bad'. God judges the heart, we can't know it for certain.

I agree with you completly, we all have to be careful that we don't judge other people. Judge not lest ye be judged.
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Jester;782552 wrote: Thats my view, but let me word it differently, if you arnt justifed by faith then you cannot enter the kingdom of God, however, that doesnt make us 'unhorrible'...

We all continue to be in the same boat, we're still fallen, the difference is that the believer is justified by faith, and now can exemplify christ where as before he could not.

Before faith I could do some good, I could be a moral, law abiding citizen, and help my fellow man. The problem is that since I wasnt doing it in Gods name or by his motivation there was no eternal fruit in what I was doing it was done in unrighteousnesses, under my own selfish ways, but it was good deeds that I was doing sometimes.

After my faith and belief in Christ, God justified me by faith, now when I do good deeds, by faith, the fruit is recorded in heaven and is reflects on the goodness of god and is done unnder the proper motivation. It may very well be the same deeds I did before.

You are technically correct, your perspective is a bit off.I kinda saw that coming after you didn't reply after like 20 seconds. Quick question... you believe God checks off everything we do good?
Smoke signals ftw!
moonpie

Post by moonpie »

rjwould;782486 wrote: What do you want to believe in, and what is holding you back?

In the great "scheme" of things, why is there so much crap in between? Such as hate, murders and other horrible things? Maybe that is not such a prolific answer, but it is plain and simple I am a plain and simple person who wants to live their life plain and simply.
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Jester;782558 wrote: ahahaha

I believe that God sees everything yes, I do not believe everything we do after we believe is good, we still have selfish motivations, I know I do at least Im assuming every other human is the same. Those things we do as believers that are done in pure motive for the Lord are things he will deem as good yes.that makes sense i guess... I believe God sees everything too myself... and pretty much the same thing... another question... do you think God... hmm how should i say this.... do you think God judges us on our deeds? I mean how does he judge a person, do you think, if they randomly asked God into there hearts like 2 seconds before they get shot when everything up to that point they did was bad in God's standard?
Smoke signals ftw!
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Jester;782562 wrote: Its a hard question, since no one can judge a heart all I could say is that in that 2 seconds if they truly beliveed then yes, salvation is imparted to them and they are justified.Tis the wonders of God then. I don't get how people can say he's such a hating God when he gives people soooo many chances and so many opportunities!
Smoke signals ftw!
moonpie

Post by moonpie »

Omni_Skittles;782564 wrote: Tis the wonders of God then. I don't get how people can say he's such a hating God when he gives people soooo many chances and so many opportunities!

Sorry, but how do you figure? When there is so much poverty and strife in this world?
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

moonpie;782559 wrote: In the great "scheme" of things, why is there so much crap in between? Such as hate, murders and other horrible things? Maybe that is not such a prolific answer, but it is plain and simple I am a plain and simple person who wants to live their life plain and simply.

The crap is here because we are just human beings and the human race is capable of horrible things. God gave us free will to choose how we act and some people don't act well at all. Some people say why doesn't God stop these terrible things from happening but God never promised to keep bad things from happening to us, He just promised that if we believe in Him, He will give us the strength to survive them.
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

moonpie;782565 wrote: Sorry, but how do you figure? When there is so much poverty and strife in this world?Good question... i don't know if i have a good answer... but here it is straight from skittles

I think so much bad is in this world, yes? Yes. But there are soo many people trying to better it. You have people like missionaries who are going to these areas and preaching the word. You tell those missionaries that there is not a God of love and peace. Yes God could make the world perfect in like one second... but that's not his plan. No one knows his plan and o-well. Who are you to think that you are so great that you have to know everything anyway? I seriously dare you to go to a missionary and tell them that their God does not love the people they help daily! I dare you to go to a kid who lives in Africa and because of God they have hope to live and tell them their God does not love them when he provides!

hmm just saying.
Smoke signals ftw!
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Honestly people get your heads out of the theology books and the self pity junk and how about for a change you make a change for once? God put us here to take care of the earth and help each other out and worship him. If you don't believe in the bible I'm sorry. but why would millions of people die for it? why would people of the past go to great strengths to preserve God's word?
Smoke signals ftw!
moonpie

Post by moonpie »

Jester;782571 wrote: Moon I think God gets blamed for all the hate and poverty and strife in the world and he didnt start it.

Well in a sense he did because he created us with freewill.

He gave us a whole world to live in and had we stuck with Him in the original version of it there woudl be no hate, poverty, or strife etc.

I believe if mankind would follow the basic prinicples of scripture God would move this world back to its near original state.

just look Letsat poverty as an example. Poverty can be eliminated if we gave according to the bible, by meeting the needs of everybody that god lays on our hearts to meet thier needs as he gives us the capabilties. If this second that universal principle was followed by every human being poverty would end as soon as the needs could be delivered.

In a real world, that will not happen, where do you live?
moonpie

Post by moonpie »

And again, with all due respect, tell these people who are sleeping on streets and in door ways. There are many things I guess they can do, but who is there to show them the way? These people are so F------ up, that they cannot get out of their connundrum. Where is there a god to help these folks?
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

moonpie;782576 wrote: And again, with all due respect, tell these people who are sleeping on streets and in door ways. There are many things I guess they can do, but who is there to show them the way? These people are so F------ up, that they cannot get out of their conundrum. Where is there a god to help these folks?haha i talk to homeless people all the time! It's a part of my ministry! and you know what... they may be stuck in that situation but they have so much more faith that God provides then i could! A women at my school worked at a homeless church... literally homeless... and these people supported her ministry. she asked them why they would? and they said i have never gone a day without eating... i thought what the hey... but they knew God provided for them! Ever heard the word Hope? Its a good word.
Smoke signals ftw!
abbey

Post by abbey »

Hope6;782324 wrote: I don't think you have to have the brain of a six year old to think of something like this, it seems to me everyone would be a little nervous about what really happens when we die. I'm looking forward to spending my afterlife in heaven and I have no doubts that it exists.I take it that post was in reply to me?

I am an atheist, none of my family have been introduced to religion,

I have no fear of facing what happens when I die.

My father is facing death and was raised Catholic, if his god helps him face death I shall be more than happy.

In my opinion I shall not be standing in front of god because I dont believe in him and furthermore I resent your implication that I have the brain of a six year old
moonpie

Post by moonpie »

Omni_Skittles;782578 wrote: haha i talk to homeless people all the time! It's a part of my ministry! and you know what... they may be stuck in that situation but they have so much more faith that God provides then i could! A women at my school worked at a homeless church... literally homeless... and these people supported her ministry. she asked them why they would? and they said i have never gone a day without eating... i thought what the hey... but they knew God provided for them! Ever heard the word Hope? Its a good word.

Well, I guess that is just great. I would like for you to talk to some of these people in Vancouver, druggies, etc., and see what their positions are. If you are comfortable, and can go to bed and have a really good sleep, then I will too. Even if I am a non-believer.
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

moonpie;782580 wrote: Well, I guess that is just great. I would like for you to talk to some of these people in Vancouver, druggies, etc., and see what their positions are. If you are comfortable, and can go to bed and have a really good sleep, then I will too. Even if I am a non-believer.lol my response to this will not be heard so i'm going to drop it. haha
Smoke signals ftw!
moonpie

Post by moonpie »

Omni_Skittles;782582 wrote: lol my response to this will not be heard so i'm going to drop it. haha

Me too, there is no easy answer to any of this, and it ain't God, sorry but I got into an ugly mood tonite. Please accept my apology,
moonpie

Post by moonpie »

Well, I did not see an acceptnce of an apology here, so I will just accept this as another christian way of a way.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

moonpie;782588 wrote: Well, I did not see an acceptnce of an apology here, so I will just accept this as another christian way of a way.That was Skittles' last post, so she probably left before reading your apology.

moonpie;782576 wrote: And again, with all due respect, tell these people who are sleeping on streets and in door ways. There are many things I guess they can do, but who is there to show them the way? These people are so F------ up, that they cannot get out of their connundrum. Where is there a god to help these folks?God has given them tons and tons of help. Hundreds of millions of people are able to help them if they choose to. For good or ill, each of them has the free will to help or walk away, and the homeless and jukies have the free will to accept or refuse any help offered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This might help make my point:

polycarp;83671 wrote: http://www.beliefnet.com/dailyjoke/dail ... x?QID=4670

It rained for days and days and there was a terrific flood. The water rose so high that one man was forced to climb on top of his roof and sat in the rain. As the waters came up higher a man in a rowboat came up to the house and told him to get in. "No thank you, the Lord will save me!" he said, and the man in the rowboat rowed away.

The waters rose to the edge of the roof and still the man sat on the roof until another rowboat came by and another man told him to get in. "No thank you, the Lord will save me!" he said again, and the man rowed away.The waters covered the house and the man was forced to sit on his chimney as the rain poured down and a helicopter came by and another man urged him to get in or he'll drown. "No thank you," the man said again, "The Lord will save me!"

After much begging and pleading the man in the helicopter gave up and flew away. The waters rose above the chimney and the man drowned and went to heaven where he met God.

"Lord, I don't understand," he told Him, frustrated, "The waters rose higher and higher and I waited hours for you to save me but you didn't! Why?"

The Lord just shook his head and said, "What are you talking about? I sent two boats and a helicopter?!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another thing to consider: Have you ever heard us referred to as "children of God"? Think of that literally for a sec. Kids want what they want when they want it, and couldn't care less about consequences, plans, what's good for them, or anything else. A parent usually knows a larger context, and is willing to let the child "suffer" for awhile in favor of what's best for the child. Of course the child doesn't want to hear it. Mommy or Daddy is the meanest unfairest person in the world because she(he) NEVER gives me/lets me do what I want.

Isn't it possible, if God exists, that He might be letting us suffer these horrors because they aren't horrors at all in the larger context that He knows, and He's just doing what's best for us?
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

Accountable;782605 wrote: That was Skittles' last post, so she probably left before reading your apology.

God has given them tons and tons of help. Hundreds of millions of people are able to help them if they choose to. For good or ill, each of them has the free will to help or walk away, and the homeless and jukies have the free will to accept or refuse any help offered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This might help make my point:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another thing to consider: Have you ever heard us referred to as "children of God"? Think of that literally for a sec. Kids want what they want when they want it, and couldn't care less about consequences, plans, what's good for them, or anything else. A parent usually knows a larger context, and is willing to let the child "suffer" for awhile in favor of what's best for the child. Of course the child doesn't want to hear it. Mommy or Daddy is the meanest unfairest person in the world because she(he) NEVER gives me/lets me do what I want.

Isn't it possible, if God exists, that He might be letting us suffer these horrors because they aren't horrors at all in the larger context that He knows, and He's just doing what's best for us?

Thank you for saying that, we are children of God and He is our Father. We are all brothers ans sisters in the faith and we should treat each other that way
spot

Post by spot »

Jester;782506 wrote: I read this Spot and I laughed. I'm sorry to express it that way but you sound like a small child stomping your foot and saying, I wont! I wont!

The created doesnt have power to contract with the creator, the creator sets the parameters. He does not need cooperation. He will carry out His plan as He ses fit.There we have it. Perfectly said. Hope thinks it takes a lot of faith to be an atheist and this demonstrates that, on the contrary, it's impossible not to be.

Hope says that there is only one God, that He's good and that He judges and condemns the damned to eternal torment. He brought souls into existence from nothing without their will or consent or prior permission. He has refused to give any alternative to any of them, their sole choice is to accept Jesus as their Saviour or to be tortured for eternity. That behaviour isn't good, that's evil. Since He's the only possible God, and both Hope and I agree that He can only actually be God if He's good, and this behaviour is obviously not good, there can be no God. Hope wanted to meet an atheist, someone who actively believes there is no God, she's found one. She's put me in a position where I can be no other.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

God is not evil! The bible clearly teaches that God is a absolutely holy being. He is completly separated from sin. God didn't start out threatening humans with hell. We weren't created with that in mind. We were born under this threat of eternal torment because of one sin of disobedience by a couple of people named Adam and Eve.

In Revelation 20:14 hell is called "the second death" this suggests a ultimate separation from God.

When humanity chose to sin it made the decision to be separate from God. Many people say the bible is not to be taken literally. How would you explain to these people the true horror of being separated for an eternity from the pure goodness, joy and love that is God? Maybe they used the symbolism of the agonies of hell.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

rjwould;782772 wrote: Again hope, where do you make the connection between faith and atheism?
Oo! Oo! *waving madly* I know that one!

It's a bigger gamble to go through life without an afterlife safety net, than to hedge your bet with a Heaven. In other words, nobody knows what comes after until they experience it; and nobody's coming back to tell us who's right.
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Hope, I don't believe in your God. I don't think it takes much faith to do so, since you've not really given any good reason for me to think it exists, and if anything, have given a couple reasons for me to think what you worship is evil.

I my humble opinion, you're just fooling yourself though, if you think that you have nothing to fear, in acting out of fear. Building a belief system on fear ... you will with almost certainty build up a bad series of judgments...
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

rjwould;782772 wrote: Again hope, where do you make the connection between faith and atheism?

maybe faith is a bad choice of words. let me put it this way, you would have to be really positive your position is right to be an atheist. I think I would always be wondering what if I'm wrong?
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

yaaarrrgg;782782 wrote: Hope, I don't believe in your God. I don't think it takes much faith to do so, since you've not really given any good reason for me to think it exists, and if anything, have given a couple reasons for me to think what you worship is evil.

I my humble opinion, you're just fooling yourself though, if you think that you have nothing to fear, in acting out of fear. Building a belief system on fear ... you will with almost certainty build up a bad series of judgments...

all you have to do is look around you to know God exists. theres no way this whole universe and everything in it happened by accident
spot

Post by spot »

Hope6;782762 wrote: God is not evil! The bible clearly teaches that God is a absolutely holy being. He is completly separated from sin. God didn't start out threatening humans with hell. We weren't created with that in mind. We were born under this threat of eternal torment because of one sin of disobedience by a couple of people named Adam and Eve.What do we actually agree on? God deliberately created me, we agree on that? I was nothing and God gave me life from nothing. And - let me take another step - God's capable of creating immaculate creatures, creatures which aren't born already in sin and needing salvation. Job was one, Adam and Eve were two more, there's Mary the mother of Jesus - they're examples of sinless people created by God. Rather than creating sinless people God - the all-powerful "I can do anything I want" God - chose to create me full of sin instead, and that's supposed to be good?

I don't insist on going to heaven, I don't insist on being punished eternally in hell either. I insist that God wipe out this mistake of creating me in the first place, that would in part make up for creating me when I had no desire to be created, and for forcing me into this vale of tears instead of leaving me blissfully non-existent. It still leaves God owing me but I'll not be here to mind. He'll have undone the evil of creating me. If he were good he couldn't have brought a sinful unwilling creature into the world under the threat of obedience or damnation.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Hope6;782785 wrote: maybe faith is a bad choice of words. let me put it this way, you would have to be really positive your position is right to be an atheist. I think I would always be wondering what if I'm wrong?

Not a day goes by where I think that Hope. :-6

I lead each day guilt free, no worries....no doors to bang, no recruits to my faith. All the people who love me, love my faith, we have no discussions or arguments about it, it just IS. :-6
spot

Post by spot »

Hope6;782762 wrote: When humanity chose to sin it made the decision to be separate from God.I'm not humanity, I'm a person. I made no such choice. I was created this way.

I can believe this God you describe exists so long as we don't say He's good, or so long as we say He had no choice. If He had a choice and He's good then I don't believe He exists, and since there is only one God this makes me an atheist.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

spot;782795 wrote: What do we actually agree on? God deliberately created me, we agree on that? I was nothing and God gave me life from nothing. And - let me take another step - God's capable of creating immaculate creatures, creatures which aren't born already in sin and needing salvation. Job was one, Adam and Eve were two more, there's Mary the mother of Jesus - they're examples of sinless people created by God. Rather than creating sinless people God - the all-powerful "I can do anything I want" God - chose to create me full of sin instead, and that's supposed to be good?

I don't insist on going to heaven, I don't insist on being punished eternally in hell either. I insist that God wipe out this mistake of creating me in the first place, that would in part make up for creating me when I had no desire to be created, and for forcing me into this vale of tears instead of leaving me blissfully non-existent. It still leaves God owing me but I'll not be here to mind. He'll have undone the evil of creating me. If he were good he couldn't have brought a sinful unwilling creature into the world under the threat of obedience or damnation.

we all would have been born as sinless people if not for Adam and Eve messing it all up. They only had one rule and they couldn't even keep that one! When they sinned the whole human race lost favor with God. The only way to get it back is through Jesus.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Hope6;782806 wrote: we all would have been born as sinless people if not for Adam and Eve messing it all up. They only had one rule and they couldn't even keep that one! When they sinned the whole human race lost favor with God. The only way to get it back is through Jesus.

OMG! Now I leave this thread knowing 100% that I made the right choice lol....

Return to “Christianity”