Christian Fundamentalism

Discuss the Christian Faith.
Ted

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by Ted »

Hoss:-6

I agree that you do not know them but you never will until you either read their works or meet them personally. That is the process of learning and growing. Their minds are opened by the wonder of the whole of God's creation. They are not closed by a belief.

The word used in Greek and translated into English as faith is "pistis" and is rightly translated as trust. It has nothing whatsoever to do with belief. If our faith were based on right belief than there are as many beliefs as there are and have been people on this earth. No one has the right "belief". We are asked to trust in God not to believe human inventions resulting from trying to come to grips with the Divine. It is about our relationship with the Divine not about what we believe. Who of millions if not billions has the right belief? You, me, the Pope, one clergy person or another?

Anyway I will trust in God's judgment not that of human beings.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Ted

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by Ted »

I don't very often say this but you are wrong. You can believe as you wish but there are many who reject your particular position and having been raised in it I totally reject it.

God is beyond human comprehension. Yes we can know how he works in man's heart. That does not mean that we understand Him/Her in any substantive way.

Yes, there is only one God. There are not many God's. What there is is many concepts of the one God and that is not hard to comprehend.

At any rate I spoke to three well respected clergy about this particular thread and each laughed and said that I must be doing something right to get such heat. LOL. Now I'm being called a liar again. This is not surprising. In fact is was expected.

There are many Christians around the world, Hoss, that do not think like you do. To say they are not true Christians is an attempt to place the speaker in God's place. You are entitled to your position as is every other Christian in this world. I'm here to discuss and present another point of view. I am not here to proselytize. This is not the place for that.

People can choose to believe what they want but God is the judge not myself and not you or anyone else; God and God alone.

You are telling me that out of the millions of Christians around the world and the thousands of denominations that you and you alone have the right belief. That is pure nonsense.

Shalom

Ted

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by Ted »

You are entitled to your opinion. Your judgments are unworthy of a Christian in my opinion. No, I will stick with my trust in God.

Judgments are precisely what drove me from the fundamentalist fold and has turned thousands away from any faith in God. In making judgments you have assumed the role of God and that is wrong.

Shalom

Ted

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by Ted »

In fact they were not laughing at your view though they disagree. They are and do laugh at the arrogance in the name of God.

Shalom

Ted

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by Ted »

JAB:-6

On the contrary I understand that.

What I object to is one putting down someone else's faith in order to make themselves feel superior in their's. That is unworthy of anyone who claims to love God. That is what the Pharisees were doing when Jesus called them on it.

We are admonished to be humble not arrogant. It is the basis of all of the great faiths of the world. Unfortunately the fundamentalists and extremists in all of the faiths have lost sight of that and for that I am truly sorry.

Shalom

Ted

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by Ted »

I've been there and done that. Yes, I am absolutely sure. It is this BS that divides all of God's children. Children play this game on a daily basis: "My brother is stronger than your brother." or "My father can beat up your father." Is this appropriate in the name of God? I hardly think so.

Shalom

Ted

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by Ted »

An interesting view but one I do not agree with. I have continually said that if folks want to follow the fundamentalist view then they should go for it. What I have objected to is personal judgments, name calling, the arrogance of putting another faith down to make one's feel superior. I have done none of that.

Of course I don't agree with the fundamentalist point of view but I don't resort to judgments, name calling, the arrogance of thinking I have the only true path. I do not have to resort to putting another's faith down to build mine up. God is the judge and I leave that to Him/Her.

I simply put up another point of view that some Christians object to but that in itself is arrogance. We are told to look to the plank in our own eye before we try to deal with the sliver in someone else's. Some seem not to be able to take that advice.

Shalom

Ted

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by Ted »

Yes, I am vehement. The vehemence of fundamentalism forces it. I attack ideas I do not make personal attacks. Yes, I judge ideas but I don't judge individuals. There is a very large distinction between personal attacks and attacks on ideas. I couldn't care less about attacks on my ideas and as far as the personal attacks on myself they speak more about the attacker than they do me.

Now perhaps you could show me where I've resorted to a personal attack on anyone here.

Am I not to be allowed to present an alternative point of view? Does that somehow make me a villain or a false teacher or an agent of Satan? Is the fundamentalist point of view the only one to be allowed? LOL.

Shalom

Return to “Christianity”