Christian Fundamentalism

Discuss the Christian Faith.
WonderWendy3

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by WonderWendy3 »

When you see that...(Christian Fundamentalism) what do you think of? Can you explain it to me?
CARLA

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by CARLA »

Geez I can barely explain my own Religion let alone anyone elses. :p
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

gmc

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by gmc »

Religious fanatics that want to take over and run everything in a theocracy. The worst kind of puritan by another name. Ignorant, bigoted and a danger to society.

Although having recently had a long discussion with a texan christian fundamentalist I appreciate I may be slightly wrong in my assessment. Certainly I get the impression that on the other side of the atlantic the term has less negative connotations as he thought I was being rather uncharitable and showed a great deal of ignorance in my assessment.

I can't explain and probably nobody can as it is completely irrational
yaaarrrgg

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by yaaarrrgg »

I read an interesting article the other day ...

http://www.livescience.com/history/0712 ... birth.html
flopstock

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by flopstock »

WonderWendy3;779516 wrote: When you see that...(Christian Fundamentalism) what do you think of? Can you explain it to me?

generally, i try to think of where the nearest door is..:wah:

IMO, the best way I know to describe it is this:

They can twist anything the bible says to fit their stand on any issue, declaring that the bible says it is so and so it must be... and yet at the same discount opposing statements from that same bible.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

WonderWendy3

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by WonderWendy3 »

So, am I to understand that "Christian Fundamentalists" are also those "right winged, closed minded conservatives" ?

I'm honestly just asking for peoples views here...this is research :D
gmc

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by gmc »

Should it be condemned in the same way we condemn islamic fundamentalism? That texan did get me thinking.
flopstock

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by flopstock »

gmc;779657 wrote: Should it be condemned in the same way we condemn islamic fundamentalism? That texan did get me thinking.

I've always condemned it, but that's just me...:wah:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

yaaarrrgg

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by yaaarrrgg »

gmc;779657 wrote: Should it be condemned in the same way we condemn islamic fundamentalism? That texan did get me thinking.

Had a Christian fundamentalist been raised in a predominantly Muslim area, they'd probably grow up be an Islamic fundamentalist ... and vice versa. The irony, is that each group tries to claim superiority... which is why they can't get along. They are just alike. :)

It's only by chance that they picked different books to attach their thought process to. That's really just a matter of geography ...
WonderWendy3

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Jester;779717 wrote: I see a small town in the midwest, and a small church building, that swells to over capacity on sunday morning and sunday evening and wednesday mid week prayer meeting, I hear a piano and an organ and hymns sung one after another in reverent spirit, I hear the bible preached from, and the words echo in my heart and resound in my life, I see love and compassion and kindness, visiting the sick and the elderly cared for, I see children playing without fear, protected and instructed form the worlds lies.

I see a family of 10, with a loving mother and father in a committed relationship for thier full lives, I see our farm, and my grandparent living on the property being cared for by my parents and us kids, I see my bothers and sisters going to school in groups with brothers protecting sisters and the older looking out for the younger, I see us memorizing bible verses, learning greek and hebrew words... I see my father being involved in the community and teaching us to do the same, I think of his main teaching to me all my life, 'others first'.

I see a long line of marriages that do not fail, I see loving spouses, caring for bunches and bunches of kids. When hard times come I see a family swarm and care for each others, I see money being passed around making sure every one is cared for.

Fundamentalism for me is a way of life. We lived the bible, we lived Gods word, and I havnt stopped.

I could write all day how good God has been to my family because we read and follow the fundamentals of the bible.

I think when the world sees fundamentalist they read it as 'religious fanatic'. I call myself a beliver for that reason and dont call myself a christian, thats for others to decide if I am or not, as for me all I can do is believe what I read and follow it, I will say this, if anyone grew up the way I did and believed what I believe God would bless you as he has me, of that I have no doubt.

WOW Jester, thank you so much for that....here's the reason for the question...I am writing a research paper on Christian fundamentalism. I always think of our country (USA) being founded on Christian beliefs....our forefathers including God in documents and our currency etc. I know that the label seems to carry a lot of negativism to it unfortunately. Like you said (Jester) people think of a fanatic, and the people that stand outside of Abortion clinics and scream at people about being sinners.....my question is, do they really represent the Christian Faith the way that many Christians really live their lives?

I loved the life that you described Jester, and you were very blessed indeed to grow up in that environment.

Thanks to everyone that has posted here, and if anyone has any ideas about a graph or a chart that I could include in my research paper....I'm in NEED!!:-5:-5

It was due on Sunday and I'm still trying to figure something out....even have my professor stumped....:-5:-5

I tried googling graphs with the key words and nuthin!
gmc

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by gmc »

posted by jester

I could write all day how good God has been to my family because we read and follow the fundamentals of the bible.

I think when the world sees fundamentalist they read it as 'religious fanatic'. I call myself a beliver for that reason and dont call myself a christian, thats for others to decide if I am or not, as for me all I can do is believe what I read and follow it, I will say this, if anyone grew up the way I did and believed what I believe God would bless you as he has me, of that I have no doubt.

That's essentially How he explained fundamentalist-someone who tried to follow the fundamentalist teaching of his religion. People can believe as they wish but Personally I cannot understand those who believe the bible to be the unchanged word of god and object to the teaching of evolution, that the creation myth is the truth etc etc. it's irrational. They can believe what they want but it's when they try and force their strict interpretation of things on everybody else they become a potential danger to others as we see with those Islamic fundamentalists who care the same kind of conviction about their faith.

posted by jester

I see a small town in the midwest, and a small church building, that swells to over capacity on sunday morning and sunday evening and wednesday mid week prayer meeting, I hear a piano and an organ and hymns sung one after another in reverent spirit, I hear the bible preached from, and the words echo in my heart and resound in my life, I see love and compassion and kindness, visiting the sick and the elderly cared for, I see children playing without fear, protected and instructed form the worlds lies.

On the other hand the pressure to conform must be enormous, if you are a misfit and face the sanctions of the community, life can be pretty dreadful. Such communities can be very liberating to live in or very oppressive depending on the personalities involved. Religious communities sound pleasant as well but can also be fearful places. I suppose you get fundamentalist Scientologists as well although it's a moot point whether that's a religion or not. Just as you get fundamentalist protestants ready to pick up arms against the catholics. (I know one or two orangemen)

If they don't allow their children access to alternative views of the world where is the crossover point from religion to cult with brainwashed followers. If islamic fundamentalists are brainwashed by their imams what then are christian fundamentalists.

posted by wonder wendy

WOW Jester, thank you so much for that....here's the reason for the question...I am writing a research paper on Christian fundamentalism. I always think of our country (USA) being founded on Christian beliefs....our forefathers including God in documents and our currency etc. I know that the label seems to carry a lot of negativism to it unfortunately. Like you said (Jester) people think of a fanatic, and the people that stand outside of Abortion clinics and scream at people about being sinners.....my question is, do they really represent the Christian Faith the way that many Christians really live their lives?

Actually no it wasn't. The chance for a new life and a land grab was what it was all about. The pilgrim fathers were part of a puritan sect that were looking for religious freedom. They were so appalling in their arrogance they annoyed everybody they came in contact with to the extent they were persecuted. But they had no intention of letting anyone else have it. their way or the highway. These were not nice cuddly people.

http://www.thehistorychannel.co.uk/site ... om=hotlink

Considerable religious conflict had erupted between the 35 Puritans and the other, largely Anglican, passengers. Open mutiny was averted by the Mayflower Compact, which established the rights of the non‐Puritans. About half the Pilgrims died over the winter before they received help from the Indians; the survivors celebrated the first Thanksgiving in the autumn of 1621.

When the early settlers realised that disease was wiping out most of the indian population this was taken as a sign from god that they were to take this land. An interesting rationalisation if ever there was one.

http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/themes/93/93695.html

The real story of the religious zealots in early america do not make good reading.

http://forum.mpacuk.org/archive/index.php?t-4404.html

http://www.ppne.co.uk/index.php?m=show&id=6859

Mason's army eventually reached Mystic undiscovered. Trapping 700 Pequot inside while its warriors were absent on a raid against the Connecticut settlements, Mason and his men set it afire killing all who tried to escape. The massacre broke the Pequot, but the Narragansett were disturbed by the unnecessary slaughter of Pequot women and children. Unable to plant their crops afterwards, the Pequot abandoned their villages, separated into small groups, and fled for their lives. They were easy prey and few of them escaped. The English joined with Narragansett and Mohegan warriors to track them down, capturing some and killing the rest in a series of small, but deadly, skirmishes. The English were determined to destroy the Pequot. Warriors were executed, and the women and children sold as slaves to the West Indies. In the treaty signed at Hartford in 1638, the Narragansett were given 80 of the captured Pequot as slaves. The Mohegan received an equal number, but the 1,500 Pequot and Western Niantic who had managed to surrender were placed under the control of Uncas and the Mohegan. Since their hosts were required to pay an annual tribute to the English for each Pequot living with them, they were not treated well.

They may have called themselves christian but would you have wanted them as neighbours?

I tend to think of fundamentalists/zealot as being one and the same.
Chezzie

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by Chezzie »

Jester, what a lovely childhood you had...I enjoyed reading that,actually I was able to add some images of what I thought you would be like too. Thanks and although im not religious im glad you are so happy being so.:-6
WonderWendy3

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Jester;779815 wrote: I should add too that I think this Idea of fundamentalism has changed somewhat too, my father is a staunch fundamentalist for instance, but he wont refer to himself as such. When men introduce him as a fundamentalist in a congregational setting he will deny it and say he is a servant of the God who saved him, a follower with all his heart is his desire.

I have been labeled a fundamentalist as well, I've been called a 'holy roller', and other such nonsense, mostly folks react when I dont do what they do. I don't drink, and Ive been in many sociaal situations where its expected. I politely decline to drink and have been left out of it all. Ive never batted an eye about it. Ive stood in meetings where men talked about breaking the law and hiding it as if they will never get caught and I leave and wont participate, Ive been known to say, men if you want to proceed honestly and lawfully I'm in, if I hear anymore talk of doing it illegally Im out. You havnt seen men back peddle till they think someones gonna rollover on them and tell.

Fundamentalism isnt really a movement at all, its a label that gets tossed around to discribe extreme behavior. When one man stands around busniess meeting and all the others want to break the law and he doesnt thats extreme behavior, if thats being a fundamentalist then I'll be one.

Conversely if a fundamentalist is the man who hatefully protests at soldeirs funerals because they think homosexuality is wrong, than Im not one of those.

Funny you bring that up, I heard about Westboro Baptist Church, I think they are based in NC that are known for this horrendous act...and they are partly why I chose this subject. A local radio announcer was talking about them on the radio one morning on my way to work...I got to work and brought them up on youtube and wanted to puke! They are a prime example of bad representation of Christians.
WonderWendy3

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Jester;779843 wrote: They arent christians, they are a mixed up cult with a leader who misuses his power and trust of those people. They are in Kansas btw.

Oh okay, thank you....I agree they are a cult....horrible, just horrible!
gmc

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by gmc »

posted by jester

The laws of socieity were followed, if you can find oppression in how I grew up other than being told from a rightful authority to follow the basic principles of 'others first' then you can try if you want. I was raised to serve my fellow man, all of us were. My father hasnt raised an thieves or rapists, or dishonest children. We all still go to church even those of us that have moved away and we go by choice, all of us are intricate parts of the churches we attend in the places we live, we teach and sing and serve the church members in many, many ways, its our way of life.

I wasn't trying to find oppression in your situation or be derogatory about your upbringing. So if I gave offence I apologise-none was intended. It was a general comment not about any one situation in particular.

Being in a religious family can also be traumatic-I live in a part of scotland where sectarianism is still rife although not as bad as it was. I know catholics who have been ostracised by their family for marrying a protestant. Protestants who don't speak to their children because they have left the church or associate with catholics. Try asking a devout muslim what they would think if their daughter announced she was marrying a christian. There was a free church of scotland minister excommunicated for attending a catholic funeral. They too are people who adhere to the fundamentals of their faith.

Our two countries differ widely on this-hence my curiosity on the subject. I am happy to discuss it in general terms but preferably without any comments being taken as intended to be personal.
gmc

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by gmc »

posted by jester

Every group sets their own rules the members agree to them or they dont become members. You have to expect that if you agree to be a part of a church you have to agree to the rules too.

That particular example I used was where an elder of the free church of scotland had attended the catholic funeral mass of two close friends. His "crime" was going to a catholic service. It was used as an extreme case and since it's a peculiarly Scottish one it's probably best left alone. We have some of our own nutty fundamentalists that are in a class of their own.

England for a while was ruled by puritans-(the original fundamentalists) the experience was so traumatic that getting a king back seemed a great idea. I've also seen it suggested that one of the reasons the english traditionally have an aversion to extremism of any kind stems from the trauma of that time being burned in to our psyche they even banned christmas, miserable lot. A lot of them eventually went to the states which is where I suspect the roots of your modern day fundamentalism are to be found-though it is not something I have done a lot of investigation on. A lot of the arguments I've seen on this forum about the role of religion in the US have echoes of past arguments in them. It's almost like looking in a time warp.
Ted

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by Ted »

None of this is intended as a comment on anyone.

I've read quite extensively the history of the Christian faith. Like all of the great faiths of the world it has changed over the centuries to meet new needs and conditions.

What today is called orthodoxy or fundamentalist/literalism cannot be traced back to the early church of the apostles. It is the invention and fabrication resulting from the reformation.

Any good scholarly book on the history of Christianity will confirm what I have said above.

The eastern church took a different path and has ended up as a totally different form of Christianity. It too has its problems but can be traced more clearly back to the original church of the apostles.

Shalom

Ted:-6
gmc

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by gmc »

Ted;780541 wrote: None of this is intended as a comment on anyone.

I've read quite extensively the history of the Christian faith. Like all of the great faiths of the world it has changed over the centuries to meet new needs and conditions.

What today is called orthodoxy or fundamentalist/literalism cannot be traced back to the early church of the apostles. It is the invention and fabrication resulting from the reformation.

Any good scholarly book on the history of Christianity will confirm what I have said above.

The eastern church took a different path and has ended up as a totally different form of Christianity. It too has its problems but can be traced more clearly back to the original church of the apostles.

Shalom

I think you can trace it back to paul and the early disputes about what actually happened and which versions were true and what should be the "way". The early squabbles about how the gospel should be spread and what a christian needed to do to join the church. If circumcision had been a requirement it would never have taken off in Rome. paul had the right of it there. Also to the the point where the roman emperors seized on it as a means of controlling the people. Thereafter the systematic working out of which gospels were "right" and which were heresy.

Yes the reformation gave new impetus to it all but schisms and arguements about the fundamentals were commonplace right from the start. Perhaps there is something inherent in the nature of mankind that they need to have some system (for want of a better word) to explain the world that becomes something that can't be questioned. Or maybe an egalitarian streak in western society that doesn't like being told how to think and is more disposed to question authority.

Actually you see the same kind of phenomenon in political movements . Endless debates about what was the "right" way to do things and endless conflict as well. Political extremist and religious extremists have a lot of similarities if you ignore the obvious difference for a moment.

posted by jester

As I review the history of religion with you I'm inclined to observe most of it although it originates in the truth gets distorted over time. Eventually its nothing more than a vain philosophy that at its root is control of other people.

I don't think the true believing church was designed by God to be larger than a small group of leaders could minister to. When there is stacks of leadership hierearchy the ability to lead diminishes the higher the leadership exists.

In the new testament church that leadership was exampled by not more than a few hundred in one group. Looking at the denominations today we see thousands upon thousands being lead by individuals that never meet any one member of the group.

Small groups can hold leaders accountable easier when they actually have access to that leadership and communicate regulalry, pastors and teachers in the church and elders are designed to be an integral part of the group.

I have to say that its as much the responsiblity of the membership as it is the leadership when fundamentalism goes awry.

Good point though I dare say to one of the leaders of such a church you would be a heretic for challenging his teaching and interpretation of the bible. I can just see you holding the ladder for martin luther.

As I review the history of religion with you I'm inclined to observe most of it although it originates in the truth gets distorted over time. Eventually its nothing more than a vain philosophy that at its root is control of other people.

I would agree there but I think you need to distinguish between those who would have the control and cynically manipulate their followers and those who are taken in by it. But it's not that simple is it? many of the more extreme fundamentalist genuinely believe what they preach. So how do you manage living in a free society with free speech etc etc, with those that would use that freedom to take away that very same freedom. With religion it's awkward because even if you do not believe in a religion you still are capable of respecting someone's beliefs and their right to believe what they wish. Tolerating each other's point of view and teaching both would be the answer but then you have religious groups that calaim the right to separate schools and so it goes on.
gmc

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by gmc »

posted by jester

I doubt I would have held the ladder for Mr luther. If I were in a church than began to pull away form the Lord Id make one trip to the leaders and explain why I thought they were wrong, if they did not agree I'd leave.

OK I've reread what you wrote and think i understand what you mean. Back then though, you would be burned as a heretic unless you kept your opinions to yourself and went along with the mainstream.

Seems like you would be up your own ladder, which sound slightly rude for some reason.

heresy

/herrisi/

• noun (pl. heresies) 1 belief or opinion contrary to orthodox religious (especially Christian) doctrine. 2 opinion profoundly at odds with what is generally accepted.

— ORIGIN Greek hairesis ‘choice, sect’.

We both live in secular societies one of he main benefits of which is you can worship as you please. It took a lot of bloodshed to get to that point. One of the reasons fundamentalism doesn't get a hold here (IMO) is that it very rapidly becomes sectarian. There were two christian parties at the last scottish election along with a christian people's alliance that was after the catholic vote. Neither got anywhere,
gmc

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by gmc »

posted by jester

On my walk last night that stretched into this morning I took this whole thought line from beginning to end. I decided I'm not a fundamentalist in the term its known of today.

Im a Biblical Foundationalist.

That word better fits what I am.

I stand on the basic doctrines of the bible and live my life as an outpouring of those promises and truths by the power of the Holy Spirit in Christ Jesus the Lord.. I could list them but I wont bore you or anyone else for that matter.

You wouldn't bore me because I probably wouldn't read it. Not out of lack of interest or contempt but because I've also given this a lot of thought in the past and a lot of research and soul searching and come to a different decision. It would be a bit like re-regurgitating old ground. Personally would let children hear all sides of the debate and let them come to their own decisions but religious groups seem frightened that their faith can't stand up to scrutiny and prefer people be prevented from thinking. Or should I say some religious groups.

The term fundamentalist has perhaps hi-jacked and turned in to something rather unpleasant and nasty for nefarious purposes. But then again monotheist religions by their nature exclude all others as being wrong, allowing the possibility of tolerance to different beliefs is against it's nature
gmc

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by gmc »

Jester;782569 wrote: Very interesting you should say that, my oldest son and I had a conversation about this last evening, he asked me why it is Im so willing to let him go to a community college after all the religious schools I sent him to? I told him because I have grounded him in the faith by my example and teachings that I have no fear he will believe the false ideologies in a secular society.

Honestly I have never figured out why folks do that, I protected my kids from false teachings until they understood the truth from the bible, but it was always my intention to let them go on thier own and live thier lives the way they see fit. Im not alwasy going to be thier authority, the only lasting convictions they will have are those I help them make as children. To me Ive taught them the truth, the truth alwas stands up against false ideologies.

It's a moot point whether they are false teachings but we can probably best agree to disagree on that one for now.

By the same token if you don't allow access to religious teachings for children then you deprive them the opportunity to come to their own conclusions. Or perhaps more importantly to the concept that other may have different world view. non-believers can be just as dogmatic and irritating as those who hold their one "true" religion.

It's when you don't allow that freedom and teach respect for different beliefs that you have problems. I suppose that is my main dislike of extreme fundamentalists of any kind-they cannot tolerate dissenting voices
Ted

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by Ted »

gmc:-6

How true that is.

Shalom

WonderWendy3

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I want to thank all of you for contributing to this thread and I just turned in this paper last Sunday, it had to be 2,000-2,5000 and it had to be persuasive.

Please keep in mind that my life is very full of "busy-ness" right now, so researching and sitting down brainstorming on Christian Fundamentalism wasn't as easy as I would have liked it to have been.

but the good news is....I got a 100%

If you would like me to post it here, I'd be happy to do so.....just let me know....

I even impressed my instructor who confessed that she wasn't thrilled when she heard the term "Christian fundamentalism", there was a time in class where she got upset with me for watching a certain news source, she claimed it was propoganda for right wing conservatives.....hmmmmmm:thinking:

But, she was my favorite instructor so far, very helpful and honest, I have the utmost respect for her!!:-4
WonderWendy3

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I quoted Jester in the paper btw.....

okay, here it is......

It had to be double spaced and I didn't include the reference page for you....

In the United States, the freedom of speech is cherished as well as the freedom of

religion. There are controversial subjects that many people try to veer away from when

they are in mixed company; on a personal as well as a professional level. The subjects of

politics and religion seem to be subjects that are most commonly among controversial

conversation topics. When a person believes in God, and they stand firm on their belief,

does that make them a fundamentalist? What makes a person a fundamentalist? How do

we come to that conclusion? The impression that many Americans have of Christians is

due to the media and the entertainment industry.

Let’s look at the word “fundamentalist”: The Webster’s Dictionary describes

fundamentalism as: "a movement in 20th century Protestantism emphasizing literally

interpreted Bible as fundamental to Christian life and teaching." A common reaction that

I received when asked what came to mind was “wacko, holy roller, bible beater” etc. The

reputation that Bible believers have isn’t always the one that they would prefer to have.

Many Christians that are classified as "fundamentalists" are not extremists.

Fundamentalist Christians are misrepresented negatively in corporate media which causes

a distorted view about Christian fundamentalism.

The question was asked to a friend of mine on an internet forum, "What do you think

about when you hear the term Christian Fundamentalism?" and this was the answer:

"I see a small town in the Midwest, and a small church building, that swells to over

capacity on Sunday morning and Sunday evening and Wednesday mid week prayer

meeting, I hear a piano and an organ and hymns sung one after another in reverent

spirit, I hear the bible preached from, and the words echo in my heart and resound

in my life, I see love and compassion and kindness, visiting the sick and the elderly

cared for, I see children playing without fear, protected and instructed from the

worlds lies.

I see a family of 10, with a loving mother and father in a committed relationship for

thier full lives, I see our farm, and my grandparent living on the property being

cared for by my parents and us kids, I see my bothers and sisters going to school in

groups with brothers protecting sisters and the older looking out for the younger, I

see us memorizing bible verses, learning Greek and Hebrew words... I see my father

being involved in the community and teaching us to do the same, I think of his main

teaching to me all my life, 'others first'.

I see a long line of marriages that do not fail, I see loving spouses, caring for

bunches and bunches of kids. When hard times come I see a family swarm and care

for each others, I see money being passed around making sure every one is cared

for.

Fundamentalism for me is a way of life. We lived the bible, we lived Gods word, and

I haven't stopped.

I could write all day how good God has been to my family because we read and

follow the fundamentals of the bible.

I think when the world sees fundamentalist they read it as 'religious fanatic'. I call

myself a believer for that reason and do not call myself a Christian, that’s for others

to decide if I am or not, as for me all I can do is believe what I read and follow it, I

will say this, if anyone grew up the way I did and believed what I believe God would

bless you as he has me, of that I have no doubt."

First law of humanity in my opinion is that humanity without the truth in God

degrades significantly.

Real and pure Christian fundamentalism seeks truth in God and the developing

relationship that results." (End of quote)

The above quote was heartfelt and sincere, the visual that is painted there is wholesome

and loving. The family is usually where the belief system is installed, but not always the

case. Generations of Christians have passed down the Bible and the faith in God to their

loved ones. Traditional values are precious and should be cherished by each member of

the family.

The Founding Fathers of the United States of America had strong Christian Beliefs. The

Christian faith was one of the more prominent beliefs in America when the countries

foundation was being formed. It is to believed that Christians of the "olden days" believe

that only King James Version Bible of 1611 is the only correct text. Some of the

strong beliefs that Christians hold are:

1. Biblical inerrancy

2. The divinity of Jesus

3. The Virgin Birth

4. The belief that Jesus died to redeem humankind

5. An expectation of the Second Coming, or physical return, of Jesus Christ to initiate his

thousand-year rule of the Earth, which came to be known as the Millennium.

"Two immediate doctrinal sources for fundamentalist thought were Millenarianism and

biblical inerrancy. Millenarianism, belief in the physical return of Christ to establish a

1,000 year earthly reign of blessedness, was a doctrine prevalent in English speaking

Protestantism by the 1870s. At the same time, powerful conservative forces led by

Charles Hodge and Benjamin Warfield opposed the growing use of literary and historical

criticism in biblical studies, defending biblical inspiration and the inerrant authority of

the Bible." (Sullivan-county)

The United States Constitution set the stage for religious freedom in America. Freedom

of Religion is stated in the first amendment. The freedom to worship and not be put to

death for your belief in God was to be cherished and treasured by many people that came

to "the new land" from other countries that were strictly one belief or religion. Imagine

being put in a ring with hungry animals because of your faith in God. We can't fathom

that thought in today's society.

The right to freedom of speech opens up doors for many faiths to speak out, to worship

their God without persecution. The Leaders of Our Country do not need to be a certain

religion has a pre-request of faith in order to hold Political positions in our Country. The

"no religious test" clause is useful to candidates seeking Political office. There have been

candidates and even Presidents that have claimed this amendment for their own. Does a

person’s faith define who they are and how they will lead their country? Could America

be threatened by a particular faith? Could America be a different country because of the

faith or lack thereof of their Leader? There are many Americans that would answer that

with a resounding YES!!

The Declaration of Independence is a foundational document for Americans; Life,

Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness are easier than it sounds. The American dream

seems to be easier to obtain for some, more than others. People that claim their faith in

God are looked at as people that are unstable in their lives, yet many Christians of all

walks of life are very successful in life.

In God We trust, we are thankful that we are a free nation. God is mentioned all over

Washington D.C. buildings, in official documents, and historical speeches etc. President

Thomas Jefferson wrote, "The God who gave us life gave us liberty at the same time" and

asked ‘Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that

these liberties are of God?’" What a powerful question from one of our most prominent

leaders of this great nation. The confidence in God was very evident and to be admired

by Americans today.

Separation of Church and State has become an issue in the United States. The statement

was written by Thomas Jefferson in a letter to the Danbury Baptists on January 1,

1802. The statement was meant for the state to stay out of the church's business more

than the state to stay out of the churches business. In modern times the ACLU uses the

metaphor for the opposite reason our Forefathers intended the clause to be used.

A high percentage of our Fore Fathers of the United States Constitution were definitely

Christians. John Quincy Adams declared "this is a Christian nation" in 1892. There

needs to be a distinction between the doctrinal religion and a denominational religion.

Domination division is easier said than done when it comes to America. There are states

that are knows for the belief system that has been set centuries ago. The "bible belt" is

known to be in the south and prominently Southern Baptists denomination. There are

areas that are prominently Roman Catholic. There are older towns that have traditional

ceremonies that are based on certain faiths and beliefs.

There are many Groups of people that give Christians a bad name also when it comes to

Christianity. For example, there is a church in Kansas that has a website called

"godhatesfags.com" which is the complete opposite of what the Bible teaches.

These people demonstrate at funerals of soldiers and are well-known for their hateful

signs and speeches against America and how God hates the war, soldiers and Americans

etc. The members of this church receive the media coverage and represent a group of

people that do not want to be recognized with them at all. They use the title as Christians

to describe themselves; they stand alone in their belief system of God hating everything

and everyone. God is to be viewed as love, not hate.

The Christians that are standing outside of the steps of the White house praying for the

President of the United States are genuine and are not publicized because they are quietly

praying for our Country and our leader. I have had the honor of working with one of

these wonderful people and admire her for the love that she has for everyone and her

country.

The Christians that are standing outside of the steps of the White house praying for the

President of the United States are genuine and are not publicized because they are quietly

praying for our Country and our leader. They are dedicated to their cause but rarely are in

the news, because they are silent warriors.

News sources are all around us, from the Internet to Television, the information that we

receive can be inaccurate and bias due to the individuals’ beliefs. The media coverage

can seem to have a negative or even positive tone for a certain faith. The Religious

leaders that have negatively represented the Christian faith have definitely had an effect

on the way that many people view Christians. There are times that the news speaks

volumes in negativity without needing any help on how it is being presented. For

Example: How does a church recover from their Priest or Pastor being accused of

molesting young boys? How are other churches to defend them in their time of need?

There definitely is a time and place for all issues that face our society and they need to be

dealt with dignity and tact.

Until the end of time, there will be choices in politics, religion and the way

Americans live our lives and we are very fortunate as a Country to have choices

and freedoms. Unity is the key in the end, to be on the same page for the good of all

people. America is watched by other countries to see what “she” is doing, it would

benefit the country to be a unified nation instead of fighting with each other about beliefs

and lifestyles. Life is a precious gift and so is freedom.

Teachers comments:

Overall Comments: Very sincere paper that made your case to a very hard audience--me! While I remain very wary of fundamentalists it is no fault of your paper. Well done, Wendy, I know this was a very hard semester and I hope things are getting better.
gmc

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by gmc »

You should maybe have a look at the founding father BEFORE they went to america. They weren't actually the only settlers on the ship. Even on the ship the conflict between fundamentalists and everyone else was taking place.

Search under puritans and the english civil war. You will se choes of the same arguments in the America of 1776.

It is to believed that Christians of the "olden days" believe

that only King James Version Bible of 1611 is the only correct text. Some of the

strong beliefs that Christians hold are:

I always think that's hilarious. King James was a gay scotsman. Although |I find many of the more homophobic fundamentalist don't appreciate the irony.
Clodhopper

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by Clodhopper »

Read the thread to catch up. Most interesting.

My way of looking at it is:

Christian = love

Fundamentalist = hate

Your actions define which you are.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Clodhopper

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by Clodhopper »

1. Marriage: Between a man and woman only, no exceptions, no domestic partnerships allowed.

Where does Jesus condemn homosexuality? Hate...

2. Military/Diplomacy: Kill every terrorists in every country regardless of international law.

Thou shalt not kill. Hate...

8. Inact the death penelty by public hanging.

Thou shalt not kill. Or can you pick and choose among Commandments? Hate...

Turn the other cheek? Do good unto those that hate you?

Regarding King James' homosexuality, bisexuality would probably be a better description. If this is revisionism it's at least 25 years old, 'cos my history teacher was quite clear on the topic when I studied the period at A 'Level. He was not making a religious point, either. Anyway, wasn't it Archbishop Cranmer and his committee of fifty divines who produced the King James Version? James wrote about banning tobacco!

Matthew ch 25 vv 37 - 40:

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came to thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

And indeed, vv 41 - 46:

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in; naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Actually, I was looking for the passage about faith, hope and love and the greatest being love, but when I opened my Bible, this is where it opened to.

gmc

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by gmc »

posted by clodhopper

Regarding King James' homosexuality, bisexuality would probably be a better description. If this is revisionism it's at least 25 years old, 'cos my history teacher was quite clear on the topic when I studied the period at A 'Level. He was not making a religious point, either. Anyway, wasn't it Archbishop Cranmer and his committee of fifty divines who produced the King James Version? James wrote about banning tobacco!

It's never exactly been a secret. Allegedly it was one of the reasons he was so keen to get to england where allegedly those of his predilection are more common:sneaky:
Clodhopper

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by Clodhopper »

Allegedly it was one of the reasons he was so keen to get to england where allegedly those of his predilection are more common

:)

Naah. You are confused by our colloquialisms: When we say we are going to bugr the Scots, we are referring to Rugby.

Err, oh bottoms!

;)

(Thought I'd already posted this, but wrote "bugr" in full - would that be censored?)

YZGI

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by YZGI »

Clodhopper;810491 wrote: :)

Naah. You are confused by our colloquialisms: When we say we are going to bugr the Scots, we are referring to Rugby.

Err, oh bottoms!

;)

(Thought I'd already posted this, but wrote "bugr" in full - would that be censored?)
Bugger if I know.:wah:
Ted

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by Ted »

clodhopper:-6

You couldn't have picked a better place to quote the Bible. It is certainly a good description of what it is to be a Christian.

Shalom

Ted

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by Ted »

Wendy:-6

Nicely done.

Shalom

WonderWendy3

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Ted;812298 wrote: Wendy:-6

Nicely done.

Shalom

Thank you Ted!!
Ted

Christian Fundamentalism

Post by Ted »

I must comment on a point made earlier; that of controlling the leader. I once saw a church get rid of one of the best clergy they ever had because a few folks on the board had a personality conflict.

Shalom

Return to “Christianity”