Does God consider homosexuality a sin

Discuss the Christian Faith.
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

I pulled this out from another thread - so as not to derail.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Printer/hom ... in-PF.html

So is homosexuality a sin, and all those who are homosexuals are going to hell?

Someone very close to me is gay. He is one of the nicest, most caring people I know. A wonderful father and truly a great person. Never has he hurt anyone. He will always go out of his way to help anyone in need, and is very sensitive to all around him.

So as someone him loves him, should I break this shocking news to him that all his wonderful qualities are wasted on God, and he should prepare himself for the fires of hell :rolleyes:
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Rubbish. Thing is this, someone can take any passage from the Bible and give their own spin on it, and call it right. I am not a big believer of any organized religion, but my feeling is this, we were created to love thy neighbor, and to not throw stones.

Who, exactly , is a gay or lesbian person hurting? Several years ago, one of my closest friends was a gay man. We got along great and went out several times, as friends. I always felt confortable with him and since we have gone our separate ways in life, I do miss his friendship.

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

ThePheasant;776714 wrote: I pulled this out from another thread - so as not to derail.

Someone very close to me is gay. He is one of the nicest, most caring people I know. A wonderful father and truly a great person. Never has he hurt anyone. He will always go out of his way to help anyone in need, and is very sensitive to all around him.

So as someone him loves him, should I break this shocking news to him that all his wonderful qualities are wasted on God, and he should prepare himself for the fires of hell :rolleyes:

to answer your question ... one has to always suppose that the person answering the question BELIEVES in god ... leaving god and religion aside ...

i am in the antique business and come into daily contact with fellow humans who are gay and lesbian because 90% of them are very sensitive and creative and they like antiques and collectables ...

i have found most of them ... with of course a few exceptions ... to be just like straight people ....

what men and women do and how they live their lives in terms of their choice of partner is entirely their business ... and, while i have no hard and fast facts to back this up myself ... i believe that the majority of the paedophiles in the world are straight and not gay ...

Jj
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
theia

Post by theia »

No, I don't believe God considers homosexuality to be a sin. But some human beings do.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

rjwould;776772 wrote: I wish one day that God would simply relieve us of all this guessing nonsense and post the answer him/her/itself....But I guess this is God's way of forcing us to exercise our brains and freewill, huh..

GOD! I'M CALLING YOU OUT.....SHOW YOURSELF AND FIGHT, OR BE KNOWN FOREVER AS A PU$$Y........rj...

Maybe that will get his/her/it's attention.....Can't say I didn't try...

Message from God to RJ.....

BUT BEFORE I RESPOND TO YOU CALLING ME OUT - I NEED TO KNOW IF YOU ARE GAY? ;)
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

rjwould;776786 wrote: God is not allowed to use anyone as a conduit any longer, Pheasey...You will have to take down your antenna and cause God to show himself.....However, all that said....If I am gay, would God consider letting me get to know Jesus a little and perhaps go out on a date with him? If so, I might be willing to reduce some of my demands and let Jesus 'save' me.:)

Jesus, honey, how you doin' baby? :yh_worshp:yh_hugs:cool:

Yikes! So what are (shut-up I'm trying to type!) these voices in (I said cut it out!) my head? :D
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Jester;776797 wrote: Pheas, please define 'sin'.

Sin is not really a word I would normally use. But when pulling it out of the link on the original post ....

All sin is offensive to God

I would image that all religious people, and those promoting the word of god see it as stated in that link ?

I prefer to use the terms good or bad. :-6
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

rjwould;776800 wrote: I've decided that since I don't think I've had a mid life crisis and have never done my internal gay investigation of myself, I'm willing to give it a go with Jesus. He's smart, compassionate, articulate, sexy as hell, tone, outdoorsy, feminine enough, has long hair and is far enough from home that nobody should find out about my indiscretion...

Anyone else interested (men only) in joining in to make it a party?:)

You are changing the course of my thread. (I'll delete my posts so I can blame you totally :D).

I don't want this thread to become a Jesus bashing session. I think that would be insulting to others here. So lets get back on track :-6
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

As a believer, yes I think God considers homosexuality as a sin. Do I think they are all going to hell, no.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Jester;776822 wrote: Ok.

The only Sin commited prior to believing who God is is the Sin of unbelief, or rejecting God.

After one belives in God and accepts salvation, then homosexuality becomes a sin and an offense to God and the believer is held accountable for that sin, as it degrades the communication between that person and his/her God.

In a general sense God considers homosexual acts to be 'bad' in a sense that it is a distraction to becoming a believer.

In a general sense homosexual acts are a sin because its based on selfishness and a denial of the creative portion of God in humanity, it goes against the creation of design.

As proof of the negitive way in which God views homosexual acts he has set in consequences if the act is performed. They are physical and emotional consequences.

Now I have a question for you, did you ask becasue you really wanted to know, or did you ask so you could bring this issue forth and give the naysayers here a change to pick it apart and make fun of it?

I asked because it deeply concerns me that someone who believes in God, and then realises that they gay, then find themselves being striped of their beliefs and being told they shall go to hell. To be forced to spend the rest of their life's wandering amongst true sinner, like those who kill. The whole process of realizing you are gay is very traumatic - and then to be told that you no longer have the right to turn to the one person you believed in all your life (your creator), and have turned to for guidance in the past, is no longer available to you. Thus putting a person already in an emotional state, maybe even suicidal, in a very unstable position.

Jester, I am not now and never have been one to pick apart and ridicule peoples beliefs :-4
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

While I consider myself a spiritual person although I don't follow the rules of any of the established churches. And I think that God is fine with that.

I think that when one stands before God at the Holy Gate, the whole of their life is much more complicated then just who they slept with. I think that things like - were they kind to people and animals, did they do their best to make their corner of the world a safe, secure, peaceful place are much more important then who their bed partner is.
Sandi

Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Jester;776847 wrote: The whole issue is a very sensitive one, of that I have no doubt, but your assuming that homosexual activity is normal and that one is born that way. There is still no conlcusive proof of that. And quite the opposite is the norm in humanity.

Being homosexual is not the real issue in my opinion, homosexuality is a symptom of whats going on in the heart. A person who belives they are a homosexual are lost in confusion, and gender confusion is but one of the problems, typically they are confused about a lot of things from a very young age. The basis of which is denial of Gods design for thier lives.

Im sorry to have asked the question as I did in my last post, I do know you to be honest and open, I apologize, please forgive me of that.

:-4 Jester. Having re-read my OP, and its obvious sarcasm, you were right to question my intentions. Note to self: Read and re-read, consider all angles before hitting that 'post' button. :wah:
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

LilacDragon;776871 wrote: While I consider myself a spiritual person although I don't follow the rules of any of the established churches. And I think that God is fine with that.

I think that when one stands before God at the Holy Gate, the whole of their life is much more complicated then just who they slept with. I think that things like - were they kind to people and animals, did they do their best to make their corner of the world a safe, secure, peaceful place are much more important then who their bed partner is.

I would consider myself as someone very much on the edge of belief and non-belief. Its questions like this thread, and certain others, that prevent me from heading down the road of religion.

Your post, IMO, is a very healthy and reasonable, path to follow. :-6
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

ThePheasant;776714 wrote: I pulled this out from another thread - so as not to derail.

Pheasy, only if he is one of those flaming gays, I mean he is allready flaming right?:D
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

YZGI;776901 wrote:

Pheasy, only if he is one of those flaming gays, I mean he is allready flaming right?:D

:wah::wah: No he's the manly one in the relationship.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

ThePheasant;776905 wrote: :wah::wah: No he's the manly one in the relationship.
So he is the one who has to buy a Valentines day gift and act like he read the card beforehand?:wah:
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Simply said, I believe God would prefer His creation to be loving each other, than hating and killing each other. This is my preference as well. Homosexuality is only a hinderence, obviously, to precreation. Any time two people respect and value each other is a good thing, no matter what sexual orientation is involved.

IMO
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

If anyones god seriously considers who someone loves to be more important in determining their worthiness then the fact that they loved - you can keep that god, 'cause that sure isn't a god I could respect or admire.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Im unsure of what "god" thinks but I think no one should be against a loving, sexual relationship, freely entered into, without coercion, among sincere adults whether gay, bisexual, or straight.

I personally think our sexual orientation is a given, something we discover about ourselves - caring or exploiting - is the source of sin.
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

I am noting (with the exception of Jester :-4) that there are no other religious people prepared to post their views here. :thinking: Maybe I am being impatient :thinking:
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

Jester;777117 wrote:

Also, I still think the data is valid, and I have the statement somewhere that says if we placed all the poeple currently lving in the world standing in a 2 foot by 2 foot area, you could put the worlds population in a city half the size of Jacksonville Florida. Noe the data is fairly old, but the population hasnt doubled since then, so I'd say it safe to assume you could put the worlds polulation standing in the whole city vary easily. Thats dosent suggest population explosion, or that its out of control.

Somehow, I am thinking that you would have a REALLY hard time fitting 6,671,226,000 people, standing in a 2 foot by 2 foot area, in a city half the size of the STATE of Florida - let alone the city of Jacksonville! (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lis ... population)
Sandi

LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

JAB;777147 wrote: At the risk of putting words in Jester's mouth, I believe he meant a 2 ft x 2 ft area for each person.

So did I, but I could have worded it better.
Sandi

weeder

Post by weeder »

HOMOSEXUAL is a political and religious label... used to identify human beings who have evolved enough to understand, and to know, that there are no boundries defining love. Just choices. Or just the ability to see beyond genital identification. The world is obsessed with so called homosexuals, because of fear. Fear of losing their own boundries. Fear of loving someone

for qualitys other then their gender. God isnt going to send anyone anywhere. But if you believe in him... remember " God doesnt make mistakes"

And so, I would presume that he loves HOMOSEXUALS also. He made them.

And what a wonderful life it is for them. Hiding, suffering, being persecuted, shunned and ridiculed. Every mans dream life. Their just people. And there was a time when THEY were considered to be Gods.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I googled that & pulled this from one of them at random:

The homosexual lifestyle carries serious health risks. Health risks cited in the study include HIV and AIDS, substance abuse, depression and anxiety, cancer, and sexually transmitted diseases.

HIV is an acknowledged risk, BUT ... Subtance abuse, depression and axiety are only valid as a health risk so long as homosexuality isn't socially acceptable, so that's a circular argument. Cancer?!? The penis is not a carcenogen, and even if it were it would be a health risk of sex in general, not just homosexual sex. STDs are risks in any unprotected sex.

No, once you remove the religious argument you don't have a leg to stand on.
weeder

Post by weeder »

Doctors have discovered that the papalova virus now lives in human mouths, and is passed onto infants in the birth canal. Cancer of the tongue, throat, tonsils etc.... shows up in carriers in their thirtys. I dont think that anyone should kiss anyone anymore.
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

Jester;777175 wrote:

Do we seriously want to encourage the general population to engage in behavior that is so risky and call it healthy?

Are YOU serious?

It most certainly is NOT about encouraging anyone to "become" gay. It is about accepting people who are gay.

I have never met a gay person who thought that everyone should be gay. They just want to be left alone to live their lives.
Sandi

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

LilacDragon;777225 wrote: Are YOU serious?

It most certainly is NOT about encouraging anyone to "become" gay. It is about accepting people who are gay.

I have never met a gay person who thought that everyone should be gay. They just want to be left alone to live their lives.

right on! exactly ... they don't go around preaching about the dangers of being straight! straight people are also subject to desease and illness transmitted by so called "normal" intercourse ...

Jj
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

weeder;777215 wrote: Doctors have discovered that the papalova virus now lives in human mouths, and is passed onto infants in the birth canal. Cancer of the tongue, throat, tonsils etc.... shows up in carriers in their thirtys. I dont think that anyone should kiss anyone anymore.

good idea weeder ... from now on i'm only gonna kiss women! :-4
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Jester;777175 wrote: Can I change gears for a second and not take a religious tact on homosexuality.

Has anyone honestly looked through the internet and googled "health risks for homosexuals".

I just did and there are hundreds of studies out there, one glance at one and it stated that Gay men have a 20 year decrease in life expectancy than the national average for men.

Do we seriously want to encourage the general population to engage in behavior that is so risky and call it healthy?

ohhh your so wrong there pal, I work for the NHS @ Cervical Screening and most STD in youngsters are from mixed sex relationships. Std's are on the increase.

http://www.avert.org/stdstatisticuk.htm

This is just for UK, you guys in the USA, apparently 1 in 5 has an STD.

One stat taken from above link:

Syphilis, Genital Warts and Genital Herpes

One of the less common STDs in the UK, infectious syphilis increased in reports by a factor of seventeen between 1997 and 2006. To a large extent, this rise has been fuelled by syphilis outbreaks among men who have sex with men, particularly in Greater Manchester and London - in 2006 some 51% of diagnosed syphilis infections were acquired through sex between men.

Nevertheless the most dramatic recent increases in syphilis cases have been among women and heterosexual men. Though the numbers involved are considerably lower than in the case of chlamydia, this is still a worrying trend, as syphilis can have serious health implications and had been thought for years to be under control in the UK.

Between 1997 and 2006, diagnoses of genital herpes and genital warts rose by 31% and 22% respectively. The introduction of a vaccine against HPV, the main cause of genital warts (and cervical cancer), offers new hope for reducing the number of infections.
weeder

Post by weeder »

The ONLY reason that homosexual men are prone to HIV infection and a host of other illnesses is.. To be blunt. Lets put the big taboo ( which is always at the back of gaukers minds anyway... is because the rectum cannott handle fighting off bacteria that wasnt meant to enter the body by that route. The rectal wall is unequipt to handle fighting off the germs. But in all fairness, and honesty, there are plenty of heterosexuals who engage in anal sex. We just dont know it, because IT IS NOT OUR BUSINESS. Grossly overlooked ( again because it is none of anybodys business ) is the fact that there are many homosexuals who ( other than affection ) do not engage in a physical relationship at all. This is for a variety of reasons. Top of the list is religious beliefs. And low and behold, some have found qualities in there partners that transend far beyond the need or desire for a phyical relationship. And how many heterosexual couples have zippo sex lives going on behind closed doors. Thats none of our business either. Give me a break with the disease thing. I just watched the movie DeLovely. The story of Cole Porter. He was gay, and married. If I could have the relationship she had with him, sans sex.... Id take that in a minute rather than to roll around with some cheating heterosexual dirt bag, who because of his need to fornicate , in the proper canal has the potential to bring me home an std that carries a death sentence.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

weeder;777273 wrote: The ONLY reason that homosexual men are prone to HIV infection and a host of other illnesses is.. To be blunt. Lets put the big taboo ( which is always at the back of gaukers minds anyway... is because the rectum cannott handle fighting off bacteria that wasnt meant to enter the body by that route. The rectal wall is unequipt to handle fighting off the germs. But in all fairness, and honesty, there are plenty of heterosexuals who engage in anal sex. We just dont know it, because IT IS NOT OUR BUSINESS. Grossly overlooked ( again because it is none of anybodys business ) is the fact that there are many homosexuals who ( other than affection ) do not engage in a physical relationship at all. This is for a variety of reasons. Top of the list is religious beliefs. And low and behold, some have found qualities in there partners that transend far beyond the need or desire for a phyical relationship. And how many heterosexual couples have zippo sex lives going on behind closed doors. Thats none of our business either. Give me a break with the disease thing. I just watched the movie DeLovely. The story of Cole Porter. He was gay, and married. If I could have the relationship she had with him, sans sex.... Id take that in a minute rather than to roll around with some cheating heterosexual dirt bag, who because of his need to fornicate , in the proper canal has the potential to bring me home an std that carries a death sentence.

brilliant post ... absolutely brilliant ... standing ovation from me! do take a bow!!!

bravo!!!

Jj
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

chlamydia

They need to change the name. It sounds like a pretty flower.
weeder

Post by weeder »

jones jones;777276 wrote: brilliant post ... absolutely brilliant ... standing ovation from me! do take a bow!!!

bravo!!!

Jj

Glad you liked it. Its so much easier to call a spade a spade, then to ***** foot around. Someday, we will discuss how aids came into the world because of humans originally having had sex with green monkeys in Africa. Any body who takes the time to investigate facts knows this. But it is so much easier and so much more exciting to cast stones, and place blame. Someday maybe the world will be happy if we can return to the sport of stoning. You know taking a " sinner" to the town square, and stoning them to death. Everyone in the crowd gets to throw a stone. Instant gratification, and justification for acts committed that your fellow man deems to be wrong.
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Jester;776847 wrote: The whole issue is a very sensitive one, of that I have no doubt, but your assuming that homosexual activity is normal and that one is born that way. There is still no conlcusive proof of that. And quite the opposite is the norm in humanity.

Being homosexual is not the real issue in my opinion, homosexuality is a symptom of whats going on in the heart. A person who belives they are a homosexual are lost in confusion, and gender confusion is but one of the problems, typically they are confused about a lot of things from a very young age. The basis of which is denial of Gods design for thier lives.

Im sorry to have asked the question as I did in my last post, I do know you to be honest and open, I apologize, please forgive me of that.

So if we assume for a moment that homosexuality is a mental illness, does that mean that God views all people with mental and physical illnesses (not as in his blueprint) as sinners. Thats pretty harsh.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

ThePheasant;777366 wrote: So if we assume for a moment that homosexuality is a mental illness, does that mean that God views all people with mental and physical illnesses (not as in his blueprint) as sinners. Thats pretty harsh.

Nice religion eh Pheasy....Do as we say or go to hell basically
weeder

Post by weeder »

I guess that I must be REALLY mentally ill. I love so many women. Particuarly my best friend down in Georgial. I just havent had the urge to squeeze their boobies. I love them for their kindness, their strength, their generosity, their humor and their support. Actually I love her more than any man Ive ever known. Except for my two sons, and one love of my life who died. I never got the chance to make love to him. Now thats something to be angry about.
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Gay men have, on an average, slightly longer and thicker penises than non-gay men.[93]

FG men rush to post details on how small their wieners are :wah::wah:
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

rjwould;777407 wrote: This is from Wikipedia;

Interesting stuff....The rest is here

I wonder how much they paid the armpit sniffer :D
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

Now that is interesting.

My best friend, who is gay, has told me that men smell bad to her. She really can't stand the smell of men.
Sandi

Return to “Christianity”