Can prophesy be a distinguishment between the Divine and non-divine?

Discuss the Christian Faith.
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

What is the sure way to know that the Bible is divinely inspired?
spot

Post by spot »

Taking every 59th letter starting at the 1001st letter of the book of Jeremy the letters spell (in Hebrew) "The God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob wrote the whole Bible at noon on Heshvan 12, 3338 AM" and, since nobody but the creator of the universe could have thought of hiding that message, the Bible's self-authenticating and the hidden message proves it was written by God.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Let me try again?

If you pray really really hard and ask "is the bible really the word of God" you'll get a convincing affirmative response that could come from no other source than the creator of the universe and that proves the bible was written by God.

I'll get the right answer eventually.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

If you stand up at the Evangelical Lutheran Synodical Conference of North America and and declare "I believe the bible is the very word of God" everyone will shout "Amen!" and that proves the bible was written by God.

I must be getting close, surely.
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

spot;771578 wrote: Let me try again?

If you pray really really hard and ask "is the bible really the word of God" you'll get a convincing affirmative response that could come from no other source than the creator of the universe and that proves the bible was written by God.

I'll get the right answer eventually.

spot;771559 wrote: Taking every 59th letter starting at the 1001st letter of the book of Jeremy the letters spell (in Hebrew) "The God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob wrote the whole Bible at noon on Heshvan 12, 3338 AM" and, since nobody but the creator of the universe could have thought of hiding that message, the Bible's self-authenticating and the hidden message proves it was written by God.

That is awesome. I agree with you have seen evidence from God myself inside and out of scriptrure. Please feel free to share more! We need to make these things known!!
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

You should email god@heaven.org or maybe theholyspirit@the-nextlife.net and either of those non-corporeal entities should be able to help.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Put the Bible on a scale with a regular human book. The heavier of the two will be divinely inspired.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

yaaarrrgg;771741 wrote: Put the Bible on a scale with a regular human book. The heavier of the two will be divinely inspired.

Whereas to the ancient Egyptians, the heart had to be lighter than a feather to become divine.
Ted

Post by Ted »

paradox:-6

One can believe the Bible is divinely inspired without believing that it is the inerrant and absolute word of God. One has to become aware of how the Bible came to be what it is today and that takes a great deal of study.

Prophets, I think, were called to a special role. They had a unique experience of the divine that is not part of everyone's experience. They had a very special relationship with the divine.

When prophets wrote they were not writing about some distant time in the future but about there own immediate time. They were calling the people back to the worship of God.

Prophesy does not prove anything particular about the Bible. Here I will show you one example. When the NT was written and especially the gospels the writers went back through the OT to find parts that seemed to predict the coming of the Messiah. These prophets were talking about their own time but the evangelists were able to use those parts in defining Jesus of Nazareth. This is not prophesy fulfilled but a very midrashic way of supporting their beliefs about Jesus.

Jesus was probably born in Nazareth but because of their experiences of him they felt that he was indeed the Messiah and so wrote the Gospels to make that point. That is the nature of midrash. It was a standard way of writing sacred scriptures. The question one should ask is "What does it mean?" not did it really happen this way?"

The literalist approach leads to all kinds of absurdities which many including myself simply cannot accept.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

Ted;771796 wrote: paradox:-6

One can believe the Bible is divinely inspired without believing that it is the inerrant and absolute word of God. One has to become aware of how the Bible came to be what it is today and that takes a great deal of study.

Prophets, I think, were called to a special role. They had a unique experience of the divine that is not part of everyone's experience. They had a very special relationship with the divine.

When prophets wrote they were not writing about some distant time in the future but about there own immediate time. They were calling the people back to the worship of God.

Prophesy does not prove anything particular about the Bible. Here I will show you one example. When the NT was written and especially the gospels the writers went back through the OT to find parts that seemed to predict the coming of the Messiah. These prophets were talking about their own time but the evangelists were able to use those parts in defining Jesus of Nazareth. This is not prophesy fulfilled but a very midrashic way of supporting their beliefs about Jesus.

Jesus was probably born in Nazareth but because of their experiences of him they felt that he was indeed the Messiah and so wrote the Gospels to make that point. That is the nature of midrash. It was a standard way of writing sacred scriptures. The question one should ask is "What does it mean?" not did it really happen this way?"

The literalist approach leads to all kinds of absurdities which many including myself simply cannot accept.

Shalom

Ted :)

Thank you for your input. That is an interesting point of view and I agree with the majority of what you are saying. When I am refering to prophecy I'm not referring so much to the prophets/evangelist motives as I am the acutal prophecies. My view is this:

If there are consistent prophecies that prove to be true over time, could that be an indicator that God is making a statement that this book is the blue prints to the life that He requires?

Here are just a few examples of the prophecies that I am referring to:

1. In Zachariah, the Bible describes the earth as being round and spherical. Not only that it describes it's gravitational forces. This book was written over 1000 years ago (when scientist believed the earth was flat).

2. In psalms, the Bible describes Jesus' death in detail 1000 years before Jesus came and 400 years before crucifixion even existed.

3. In Job, the Bible describes not only that the stars are beyond the billions (which people belived until recently), but it described how the stars are bound together by gravity.

4. In Isaiah, the Bible describes how Israel will become a nation in 1 day (which happen in 1948). After 1948 is referred to as Latter days which is a common reference in the scripture.

5. The Geneology of the Bible. This is controversial because according to the Bible, the age of the earth is around 10,000 years old. According to Darwins theory and evolution, the age of the earth is around 22 billion years old. Some things worth considering why Darwins theory is insufficient: 1. The oldest living tree is 4000 years old (about the time after Noah's flood). 2. The oldest living barrier reef is 4,400 years old. 3. The sun burns at a rate of about 5000 tons per minute. If you reverse that rate and go back 1 million years, the sun would be so big that it would burn up everything on earth. :)
spot

Post by spot »

You're slightly adrift in a few numbers there. The sun loses around 5 million tons a second as mass converted to radiated energy, not 5000 a minute.

A million years ago that would make the sun 1.6 x 10^20 tons heavier than now if it's been shining at the same rate all that while. The sun weighs 2 x 10^27 tons so in that in 8 million years it loses a millionth of its mass. That's a very small change, not enough to burn up everything on earth.

I can't see anywhere in the book of Job that mentions the number of stars or anything like gravity, could you tell me where that is?

Where does Darwins theory and evolution suggest the age of the earth is around 22 billion years old? Darwin's theory and evolution can't comment on anything other than life on earth, and the earth's only existed for under 5 billion years in a universe which began 14 billion years ago. Darwin's theory isn't the reason for offering those dates.

I'm sure we can come to an agreed statement if we each look at the other's comments and decide which of them we agree with. Do you have any problem with these?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Paradox;772263 wrote: Ted :)

Thank you for your input. That is an interesting point of view and I agree with the majority of what you are saying. When I am refering to prophecy I'm not referring so much to the prophets/evangelist motives as I am the acutal prophecies. My view is this:

If there are consistent prophecies that prove to be true over time, could that be an indicator that God is making a statement that this book is the blue prints to the life that He requires?

Here are just a few examples of the prophecies that I am referring to:

1. In Zachariah, the Bible describes the earth as being round and spherical. Not only that it describes it's gravitational forces. This book was written over 1000 years ago (when scientist believed the earth was flat).

2. In psalms, the Bible describes Jesus' death in detail 1000 years before Jesus came and 400 years before crucifixion even existed.

3. In Job, the Bible describes not only that the stars are beyond the billions (which people belived until recently), but it described how the stars are bound together by gravity.

4. In Isaiah, the Bible describes how Israel will become a nation in 1 day (which happen in 1948). After 1948 is referred to as Latter days which is a common reference in the scripture.

5. The Geneology of the Bible. This is controversial because according to the Bible, the age of the earth is around 10,000 years old. According to Darwins theory and evolution, the age of the earth is around 22 billion years old. Some things worth considering why Darwins theory is insufficient: 1. The oldest living tree is 4000 years old (about the time after Noah's flood). 2. The oldest living barrier reef is 4,400 years old. 3. The sun burns at a rate of about 5000 tons per minute. If you reverse that rate and go back 1 million years, the sun would be so big that it would burn up everything on earth. :)

1) It was the Babylonians who first proved that the Earth was round - does this mean that Marduk is the true God?

4) Almost all ex colonies become a nation in one day when they gain their independance, to suggest that it make Israel special is unsupportable. That area has become a nation many times in history, to pick out one instance and say it fulfils a three thousand year old prophesy is to demean prophesy and is much like Spot's proof that Nostrodamus was a true prophet.

5) In what way does the age of the oldest living entities have any bearing on the age of the planet? The remains of trees (not fossilised, real wood) are available whose ring structure overlaps that of the living trees you're referring to going back several thousand more years - and other trees to take it back well beyond the 10,000 you're quoting. (Ref Dendrochronology).

The sun does not "burn" hydrogen, it's a nuclear reaction fusing two hydrogen atoms to form a single helium atom - loss of weight minimal.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;772293 wrote: The sun does not "burn" hydrogen, it's a nuclear reaction fusing two hydrogen atoms to form a single helium atom - loss of weight minimal.5 million tons a second, mate. Struth.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;772298 wrote: 5 million tons a second, mate. Struth.

Solar wind pal, not losses from fusion :p
Ted

Post by Ted »

Paradox:-6

As I am visually impaired it would make it easier for me to comment if you would provide chapter and verse.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

The latter days or the end of time or the day of the Lord has been expected throughout history and even before Jesus arrived on earth.

http://www.sullivan-county.com/nf0/y2k/bible_ca.htm

220 Dates for the End of the world!!! Date Setters!

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

In terms of dating both archaeological as well as geological times there are some 16 different methods not just one or two.

I do think that Bryn Mawr has adequately responded to one and five though I would still appreciate the chapter and verse.

Shalom

Paradox

Post by Paradox »

spot;772285 wrote: You're slightly adrift in a few numbers there. The sun loses around 5 million tons a second as mass converted to radiated energy, not 5000 a minute.

A million years ago that would make the sun 1.6 x 10^20 tons heavier than now if it's been shining at the same rate all that while. The sun weighs 2 x 10^27 tons so in that in 8 million years it loses a millionth of its mass. That's a very small change, not enough to burn up everything on earth.

I can't see anywhere in the book of Job that mentions the number of stars or anything like gravity, could you tell me where that is?

Where does Darwins theory and evolution suggest the age of the earth is around 22 billion years old? Darwin's theory and evolution can't comment on anything other than life on earth, and the earth's only existed for under 5 billion years in a universe which began 14 billion years ago. Darwin's theory isn't the reason for offering those dates.

I'm sure we can come to an agreed statement if we each look at the other's comments and decide which of them we agree with. Do you have any problem with these?

Spot, thank you for the correction :) Forgive me, I am at work and I am and I don't have my references right not so my numbers are going to be a little off :-5. I am also trying to type and work at the same time so excuse me if I'm not so clear. I have a lot of references at home and I will give you those when I can get to them.

Here are my points that I am trying to make:

1. If there is a book that has over 300 recorded prophecies that are valid, and it is stating that the book is divinely inspired, should that be a book to pay extra attention to because it could actually be divinely inspired?

2. The Bible gives us purpose on this earth and principles to live by. Jesus stated that the 2 greatest commandments that sum up all of the law is: 1. Love the Lord thy God with all of your heart, all of your mind and all of your strength. 2. Love thy neighbor as thyself. (what better way to live)?

3. Jesus' life is an example of how we are to live. Christ broke no rules and displayed the greatest Love, to lay down your life for your brothers.

4. Biblical principles help to keep your life moral and in order. For example: Not killing, stealing, sleeping around, keeping the temple clean, don't judge, helping one another, etc...

5. Salvation comes by Gods grace. It is a gift in which all we have to do is accept it.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;772320 wrote: Solar wind pal, not losses from fusion :p

I beg to differ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun

The Sun is about halfway through its main-sequence evolution, during which nuclear fusion reactions in its core fuse hydrogen into helium. Each second, more than 4 million tonnes of matter are converted into energy within the Sun's core, producing neutrinos and solar radiation; at this rate, the Sun will have so far converted around 100 Earth-masses of matter into energy. The Sun will spend a total of approximately 10 billion years as a main sequence star.

[...]

About 3.4×10^38 protons (hydrogen nuclei) are converted into helium nuclei every second (out of ~8.9×10^56 total amount of free protons in the Sun), releasing energy at the matter–energy conversion rate of 4.26 million tonnes per second, 383 yottawatts (3.83×10^26 W) or 9.15×10^10 megatons of TNT per second. This actually corresponds to a surprisingly low rate of energy production in the Sun's core...
Ted

Post by Ted »

In many cases what appears to be prophesy fulfilled is simply prophesy written after the fact thus making it appear as if it is prophesy fulfilled. Three Isaiahs are a classic example. Crossan, Borg, Anderson among others.

Once you are able to provide those references asked for I can make further comments.

The prophesies that appear to predict the coming of Jesus are used in the NT in a midrashic sense where a former event or events are used in defining a newer event. In other words they were appended to Jesus after the fact, that is after they had decided that this man was indeed the Messiah. These are found in the four gospels which were written long after the death of Jesus.

Shalom

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;772420 wrote: I beg to differ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun

The Sun is about halfway through its main-sequence evolution, during which nuclear fusion reactions in its core fuse hydrogen into helium. Each second, more than 4 million tonnes of matter are converted into energy within the Sun's core, producing neutrinos and solar radiation; at this rate, the Sun will have so far converted around 100 Earth-masses of matter into energy. The Sun will spend a total of approximately 10 billion years as a main sequence star.

[...]

About 3.4×10^38 protons (hydrogen nuclei) are converted into helium nuclei every second (out of ~8.9×10^56 total amount of free protons in the Sun), releasing energy at the matter–energy conversion rate of 4.26 million tonnes per second, 383 yottawatts (3.83×10^26 W) or 9.15×10^10 megatons of TNT per second. This actually corresponds to a surprisingly low rate of energy production in the Sun's core...

So the physical mass expelled from the sun as solar wind is only a quarter of the mass converted into energy? Who'd have believed it!

I stand corrected :-)
Ted

Post by Ted »

jester:-6

A paradox? Yep. And full of inaccuracies and untruths.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

That I explain my own kind of truth is a personal but blind statement. There are many who agree with me including the clergy in my church.

That if I can't explain things rationally and scientifically so I call on midrash is absolutely untrue. That is jesters opinion based on the fact that he makes no effort to understand. He is the one who wants to put God in a box. I on the other hand realize that God is the reality beyond reality and beyond human conceptualization. No science or rational proof there.

Clearly jester understands neither midrash or metaphor. Once again the result of not making any effort to understand.

Having said that jester is most certainly entitled to his opinion but perhaps he ought not to comment on things of which he has no knowledge. Having been a fundamental/literalist in the past I am well aware of its weaknesses. I've been there and done that.

Just to clarify some of jesters comments.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

That I invoke scholarship for the parts I don't agree with is pure BS.

Now I would further like to address you comments above. You suggested that my position is it needs to be rational and scientifically proven. Let's look at that.

You: The Bible needs to be historically accurate. You need to be able to read it to have a silent God speak to you. You must be able to define and describe God to a certain extent.

Me; The Bible is not historically accurate and need not be. Myth is a good tool for teaching. I do not believe that we can in any way adequately begin to describe or define the divine or God if you wish. I accept the validity of meditation. I believe that Holy Spirit continues to lead us through many methods and they do not necessarily have to be concrete. I am a mystic in many ways. These things are immaterial.

So when we look at those everything you profess or call for has to be concrete and material which is the physical realm which is the only thing that science and rationalism can analyze.

The things I have been saying cannot be rationally analyzed or scientifically proven.

So I put it to you that you are the one who needs the rational and the scientifically proven. You are the one who needs the material.

Now as I've said before if one needs the material in front of them to believe what does that say about the nature of their faith?

You have and continue to misrepresent what I am saying. Since I consider you an intelligent person who is quite capable reading and thinking I can only conclude that your position is "don't bother me with the facts, I've already made up my mind. You have made little to no effort to understand what I have said.

Now if you choose to go in that direction it is fine with me. However, your misrepresentation of what I am saying is misleading and deceiving.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

I do give straight answers. You just don't happen to like or understand them or both.

You have very nicely avoided my comments on rationalism and science.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

No problem here. Just remember it is your version of the truth filtered through your mind and thus as subjective as everyone else's.

I have no desire to pick a fight with anyone. I simply call it as I see it.

It is interesting that we have been dealing with some of these issues at church over the past few weeks and lo and behold I seem be in reading from the same book as our clergy.

At any rate I wish none ill.

May the peace of Christ be with you.

Paradox

Post by Paradox »

Ted;772423 wrote: Paradox:-6

In many cases what appears to be prophesy fulfilled is simply prophesy written after the fact thus making it appear as if it is prophesy fulfilled. Three Isaiahs are a classic example. Crossan, Borg, Anderson among others.

Once you are able to provide those references asked for I can make further comments.

The prophesies that appear to predict the coming of Jesus are used in the NT in a midrashic sense where a former event or events are used in defining a newer event. In other words they were appended to Jesus after the fact, that is after they had decided that this man was indeed the Messiah. These are found in the four gospels which were written long after the death of Jesus.

Shalom

Ted,

sorry it took so long for me to get back to you, I haven't been here for a few days. Here are just a few, (and i mean few) prophecies found in the Bible along with the versus. Keep in mind that you may have to go back and read some of the previous chapters to understand the context. I have many more at my house but once again, I'm at work with nothing but my noggin and a few websites, one of them being Bibledesk.com.

1. The Jewish people would be scattered worldwide; yet Israel would become a nation again after a long time and at a time the Bible calls the "latter days"-ref Isa 66:8; Mic 5:3; Ezek 38:8. Against what appeared to be impossible odds, this prophecy has been fulfilled. It happened as predicted on May 14, 1948 after about 2500 years. That’s 1 out of 1.

Note: Israel was destroyed in approximately 721 B.C. and Judah about 135 years later. Since that time, approximately fourteen different peoples have possessed the land of Israel. Yet as the Bible said, the nation of Israel would be reborn.

The rebirth of Israel was a key sign, indicating we had entered a time period called the "latter days." It was the beginning of a countdown leading to the Tribulation and culminating with the Battle of Armageddon and the return of Jesus. Along with the fulfillment of this crucial event are over 360 prophecies that would all come together, so we might recognize that the Tribulation is very close at hand. Some of these are listed here.

Yet the Bible foretells that most people would not believe these things, despite the overwhelming evidence of the signs from God’s Word being fulfilled exactly as predicted. As people refused to believe the flood was coming in Noah’s time, so people today willingly choose to disregard the signs of the times.

2. Israel shall be brought forth in one day, at once-ref Isa 66:8. Prophecy fulfilled-May 14, 1948. That’s 2 out of 2.

Note: On Nov. 29, 1947, the General Assembly of the U.N. approved a resolution calling for the establishment of a Jewish state in Palestine. On the morning of May 14, 1948 (the last day of the British mandate), a meeting of the People’s Council took place in Israel to decide on the name of the state and to finalize the declaration. At precisely 4 pm, the proclamation ceremony began at the Tel Aviv museum. The 979 Hebrew words of the Scroll of Independence were read. All stood, and the scroll was adopted. The notorious White Paper, issued by the British in 1930 restricting Jewish immigration, was declared null and void. Members of the People’s Council signed the proclamation. David Ben-Gurion rapped his gavel, declaring, "The State of Israel is established. This meeting is ended." Israel was brought forth as a nation in one day, at once, exactly as predicted. At midnight, the British soldiers and high commissioner would leave. President Truman was swift in announcing U.S. recognition of Israel. The following morning, on May 15, Israel was under attack by the Egyptian, Syrian, Lebanese, Jordanian, and Iraqi forces.

3. Israel would be brought forth (or reborn) "out of the nations"-Ezek 38:8. Prophecy fulfilled-May 14, 1948. That’s 3 out of 3.

Note: As previously stated, on Nov. 29, 1947, the General Assembly of the "United Nations" approved a resolution calling for the establishment of a Jewish state in Palestine. This prophecy was perfectly fulfilled. Consider, for centuries the land of Israel had been occupied by many nations. Israel was "brought forth out of the nations"—the children of Israel from many nations have been returning to their ancient homeland.

4. Israel must regain the city of Jerusalem-Joel 2:32; Isa 28:14; Ezek 22:19. This happened just as predicted in 1967. That’s 4 out of 4.

Note: The Bible gives us two methods so we would know the time we are in. One is by Israel’s rebirth. The other, by a precise line of events that would all come together at one time. Israel was reborn on May 14th, 1948. The Bible indicates that from Israel’s rebirth a generation would not pass till all be fulfilled. We are not setting any date; however, it seems clear from Israel’s rebirth and the signs of the times— that we are living in the generation in which the Rapture and Tribulation will come and catch most people by surprise. Are you ready?

5. The Christian church at the time of the end would be lukewarm, neither cold nor hot for Jesus. Prophecy fulfilled. That’s 5 out of 5.

Note: God will spew them out. Many ministers and people that call themselves a Christian will not be going to heaven. The Bible tells us—you have acquired wealth, but your true condition is wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked and you don’t know it-Rev 3:14-22. This is today’s church. Most preachers use little Scripture, but lots of worldly stories. Many sing a great deal, but put little emphasis on repentance, obeying, serving, and fearing God, on the fruits of the Spirit, Bible prophecy, water baptism by immersion, and studying your Bible faithfully every day. Many are only entertainment centers that teach what their members want to hear. Many (so-called Christians) are so lukewarm or dead, they don’t even bring their Bibles with them to the house of God. Some famous ministers and Bible schools think this is the best church age ever, yet the Bible clearly shows it is the worst and most deceived.
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

Here are a few more:

The Bible gives us over 50 descriptions about the people at the time of the end. These fit the

people of today perfectly, but did not fit the people of fifty years ago. Here are some:

A. Some would depart from the faith and go into devil worship-1 Tim 4:1. This is perfect.

B. People would mock about the last days and not believe-2 Pe 3:3; Jude 18.

C. People would become lovers of themselves-2 Tim 3:1,2. Remember the TV commercials—"I

do it for me"?

D. People would be disobeying their parents-2 Tim 3:1,2.

E. People would be grateful for nothing-2 Tim 3:1,2.

F. Homosexuality would increase-Lk 17:28,30; ref Gen 19:5; Ro 1:24,26,27.

G. People would be without self-control in sex-2 Tim 3:1,2,6; Rev 9:21, Lk 17:28,30; Jude 7. Is this not the great sex generation?

H. People would love pleasures more than God-2 Tim 3:1,2,4. This is true. Shall we go on a picnic, watch football, or sleep. Church?—we can go another time. Our American motto "In God we trust" has become a joke. Remember, these were all predicted centuries ago as part of the signs that we are at the time of the end.

I. People would be taking drugs-Rev 9:21. The Greek word for sorceries, in Rev 9:21, means pharmaceuticals or drugs. God’s Word is 100% right on every one. That’s 6 out of 6. How could you have any doubts at this point?

Note: Fifty years ago, many people seldom locked their doors at night. There was little or no profanity on television, radio, or in the movies. One of the biggest problems in public school was gum chewing. Those days are long gone.

7. There would be weapons that could destroy the world-Mk 13:20; Rev 6:8; Rev 9:18; Zech 14:8,12. Incredibly, this prophecy was written in the days of spears and arrows, yet today it is true. That’s 7 out of 7.

Note: It is estimated that the combined nuclear arsenals of the USA and Russia (as of the year 2004) could kill every living thing on earth 6 times over.

8. The Gospel must be published in all the world-Mk 13:10. This seemingly impossible prophecy was written when there was no printing press, but today it is true. That's 8 out of 8.

Note: In this last generation, to our knowledge, the Gospel is being published (or is about to be published) in the primary language of every nation of the world or "among all nations." In addition, the Gospel is available by short-wave radio nearly everywhere in the world.

9. In the "latter days" when Israel was once again a nation, there would be a great military power to the extreme north of Israel in the land of Magog (which is modern-day Russia)-Ezek 38:2-4,8,15,16. Incredible. That’s 9 out of 9.

Note: How could the Bible have foretold the location of this nation, facts about its military, and even the time period it would come to pass? As was already said in Lk 24:25-O FOOLS, AND SLOW OF HEART TO BELIEVE ALL THAT THE PROPHETS HAVE SPOKEN.

10. There would be a nation to the far east of Israel, to the end of the earth. This nation would have an army of 200 million. This is astounding. How could the Bible have told the location of a nation and given such a huge figure regarding the size of its army nearly 2000 years ago? China has boasted that they could field an army of this exact figure. That’s 10 out of 10.

11. There would be an economic alliance of the nations of the Old Roman Empire. It would have a military capability. This is an exact description of the European Economic Community today (the EEC), which has already adopted the one-currency system for many of their member nations. It is written, IN THE DAYS OF THESE KINGS (these nations, which is now) SHALL THE GOD OF HEAVEN SET UP A KINGDOM-Dan 2:44. That’s 11 out of 11. We have just reached the point that seemed impossible—11 perfect predictions made thousands of years ago—with God nothing is impossible. Certainly, at this point, even the biggest skeptic should see the Bible is true, there is a God, and we are nearing the time of the end.

About 22 prophecies in 11 sets have been given, all perfect and all written centuries ago. The chance that any person could do this 2000 years into the future is not possible. The Bible is the Word of God, and we have just proved it. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. Repent and get baptized by full immersion. Read and obey the Gospel. God loves you. He is not willing that any should perish, yet many do. The Rapture is close. Most people are not ready and will not be taken. However, "YOU" cannot say you did not know. Know and understand, Mt 16:26-WHAT IS A MAN PROFITED, IF HE SHALL GAIN THE WHOLE WORLD, AND LOSE HIS OWN SOUL? OR WHAT SHALL A MAN GIVE IN EXCHANGE FOR HIS SOUL? (Note: The Encyclopedia of Bible Prophecy has the complete list of 365 prophecies.)
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

And... a few more.

Isaiah 45:1

Isaiah 45

"This is what the LORD says to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I take hold of to subdue nations before him and to strip kings of their armor, to open doors before him so that gates will not be shut:

(New International Version translation)

Babylon's gates would open for Cyrus

Bible passage: Isaiah 45:1

Prophet: Isaiah

Written: perhaps between 701-681 BC

Fulfilled: 539 BC

In Isaiah 45:1, the prophet said God would open the gates of Babylon for Cyrus and his attacking army. Despite Babylon's remarkable defenses, which included moats, and walls that were more than 70-feet thick and 300-feet high, and 250 watchtowers, Cyrus was able to enter the city and conquer it. Cyrus and his troops diverted the flow of the Euphrates River into a large lake basin. Cyrus then was able to march his army across the riverbed and into the city.

Isaiah 13:19

Isaiah 13

Babylon, the jewel of kingdoms, the glory of the Babylonians'[1] pride, will be overthrown by God like Sodom and Gomorrah.

NIV Footnote: [1] Or Chaldeans'

Babylon's kingdom would be overthrown, permanently

Bible passage: Isaiah 13:19

Prophet: Isaiah

Written: perhaps between 701-681 BC

Fulfilled: 539 BC

In Isaiah 13:19, the prophet said Babylon would be overthrown, permanently. History confirms that when Cyrus conquered Babylon in 539 BC, it never again rose to power as an empire. Before the time of Cyrus, however, Babylon had been defeated by the Assyrian Empire but was able to recover and later conquer the Assyrian Empire. However, like Isaiah said 2700 years ago, the Babylonian Empire never recovered from Cyrus' conquest.

Daniel 9:26

Daniel 9

After the sixty-two 'sevens,' the Anointed One will be cut off and will have nothing.[1] The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed.

NIV Footnote: [1] Or off and will have no one; or off, but not for himself

Daniel foretold the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple

Bible passage: Daniel 9:26

Prophet: Daniel

Written: about 530 BC

Fulfilled: 70 AD

In Daniel 9:26, the prophet said that a future ruler over the land of Israel would destroy Jerusalem and the Temple. Daniel said this would happen after an anointed one (messiah) is "cut off," which means "rejected" or "killed." A few centuries later, the Romans had taken control of the land of Israel, Jesus announced himself as the Messiah, and the Romans crucified him. Forty years later, the Romans destroyed Jerusalem and the Temple.

Amos 1:9-10

Amos 1

This is what the LORD says: "For three sins of Tyre, even for four, I will not turn back [my wrath]. Because she sold whole communities of captives to Edom, disregarding a treaty of brotherhood,

I will send fire upon the walls of Tyre that will consume her fortresses."

Tyre's fortresses would fail

Bible passage: Amos 1:9-10

Prophet: Amos

Written: about 750 BC

Fulfilled: 333-332 BC

In Amos 1:9-10, the prophet said that God would cause Tyre's protective fortresses to fail, as punishment for the way that Tyre treated Israel. That prophecy was fulfilled in 586-573 BC when Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar attacked the mainland of Tyre, and in 333-332 BC when Alexander the Great conquered the island of Tyre. Alexander's army built a land bridge from the mainland to the island so that they could use a battering ram to break through the island's fortress.

Ezekiel 29:15

Ezekiel 29

It will be the lowliest of kingdoms and will never again exalt itself above the other nations. I will make it so weak that it will never again rule over the nations.

Egypt would never again rule over nations

Bible passage: Ezekiel 29:15

Prophet: Ezekiel

Written: between 593-571 BC

Fulfilled: 1967, etc.

In Ezekiel 29:15, the prophet says that Egypt would recover from a desolation (perhaps Babylon's attack about 2600 years ago), but that it would never again rule over other nations. Up until the time of Ezekiel, Egypt had been a world power for centuries, dominating many nations, including Israel. But for most of the past 2500 years, Egypt has been controlled by foreign powers, including the Romans, Ottomans and Europeans. Today, Egypt is an independent nation again. In 1948, 1967 and 1973, Egypt tried to dominate Israel but was unsuccessful each time, despite the fact that Egypt is 10 times larger than Israel. Egypt today, in many respects, is an impressive nation. But since the time of Ezekiel, it no longer rules over other nations.

Jeremiah 25:11-12

Jeremiah 25

This whole country will become a desolate wasteland, and these nations will serve the king of Babylon seventy years.

"But when the seventy years are fulfilled, I will punish the king of Babylon and his nation, the land of the Babylonians,[1] for their guilt," declares the LORD, "and will make it desolate forever.

NIV Footnote: [1] Or Chaldeans

Babylon would rule Judah for 70 years

Bible passage: Jeremiah 25:11-12

Prophet: Jeremiah

Written: sometime from 626 to about 586 BC

Fulfilled: about 609 BC to 539 BC

In Jeremiah 25:11-12, the prophet said that the Jews would suffer 70 years of Babylonian domination. Jeremiah also said Babylon would be punished after the 70 years. Both parts of this prophecy were fulfilled. In 609 BC, which is about 2600 years ago, Babylon captured the last Assyrian king and took over the holdings of the Assyrian empire, to which the land of Israel previously had been subjugated. Babylon later asserted its domination by taking many Jews as captives to Babylon, and by destroying Jerusalem and the Temple. The domination ended in 539 BC, when Cyrus, a leader of Persians and Medes, conquered Babylon and brought an end to its empire. Cyrus later offered the captive Jews the freedom to return to their homeland. The prophecy also might have been fulfilled in another way too: The Babylonians had destroyed Jerusalem's Temple in 586 BC, and the Jews rebuilt it and consecrated it 70 years later, in 516 BC. Having the Temple again showed, in a very important way, that the effects of Babylonian domination truly had come to an end.

Nahum 1:14

Nahum 1

The LORD has given a command concerning you, [Nineveh]: "You will have no descendants to bear your name. I will destroy the carved images and cast idols that are in the temple of your gods. I will prepare your grave, for you are vile."

Ninevites would be wiped out

Bible passage: Nahum 1:14

Prophet: Nahum

Written: perhaps 614 BC

Fulfilled: 612 BC

In Nahum 1:14, the prophet said Nineveh would have no descendants to carry on the prestige of Nineveh. Nineveh's destruction in 612 BC marked a permanent end to the Assyrian Empire. The city itself never again rose to any significant importance. Today, Nineveh is an archaeological site in Iraq.
Ted

Post by Ted »

A good deal of Isaiah was written many years after the fact. In fact there were three different writers writing under the name Isaiah: Prophesy written after the fact.

Daniel was written after the fact as well.

The book of Amos has been adjusted by the editors and redactors long after it was written. Some of it in fact did not even come from Amos.

Ezekiel was also adjusted by the editors and redactors.

I haven't got any further but that should suffice.

"The Interpreter's One Volume . . . " Also from Prof. N. Wagner in lectures given on the nature of prophesy.

The real question to ask is what does it mean and not the nature of the historical content.

Shalom

Shalom

Ted
Ted

Post by Ted »

No problem.

"Understanding the Old Testament" by B. W. Anderson.

"Jesus" by Marcus Borg.

"Reading the Bible Again for the First Time" by M. Borg.

"The Interpreter's One Volume Commentary on the Bible" Ed. by Charles M. Laymon and making use of 70 authors.

"Biblica" Ed. by Barry J. Beitzel and multiple contributers.

Lectures given by Dr. N. Wagner.

Information from the former Dean at the Vancouver School of Theology.

The Rev. Dr. L. St Clair in discussions and sermons.

If you would like more I can list them. On the other hand if you think I'm going to write a book on the forum forget it. Anything I would type you wouldn't accept anyway so I won't waste my time.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

Your comments on Borg are based on not making any effort to understand. You are wrong. Of course it is just your opinion. Others don't agree.

Provide further info? I can if you like. Perhaps you should either buy some of the books or visit your local library. Since there are thousands of scholars you will not find all their names on the net.

You might find this site interesting.

http://www.torreys.org/bible/

Resource Pages for Biblical Studies, main page

Shalom

Return to “Christianity”