Current events and apocolypse

Discuss the Christian Faith.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Has anyone else besides me, noticed certain similarities between prophetic scripture and the walls being built around Israel?
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Raven;747398 wrote: Has anyone else besides me, noticed certain similarities between prophetic scripture and the walls being built around Israel?

I try very hard to steer clear from Revelations and predictions of the Apocalypse.

The wall worries and saddens me for purely temporal reasons.
spot

Post by spot »

Would the builders of the walls being built around Israel have prior knowledge of the prophetic scripture, Raven?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
lemon_and_mint

Post by lemon_and_mint »

spot;747405 wrote: Would the builders of the walls being built around Israel have prior knowledge of the prophetic scripture, Raven?

Those who by their actions fulfill a propechy need not have knowledge of it.

You can think of it as this -

people get married who meet in bars, or in parks, those two people ended their actions in marriage although neither was aware that by going to the bar or park they would meet their marriage partner.
spot

Post by spot »

lemon_and_mint;747410 wrote: Those who by their actions fulfill a propechy need not have knowledge of it.

Indeed they needn't. That's why I asked in this case. I suggest that people who fulfil prophesy because they know it exists are in a different position to those who do it unaware, that's the basis for my asking.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Raven

Post by Raven »

spot;747405 wrote: Would the builders of the walls being built around Israel have prior knowledge of the prophetic scripture, Raven?
Sure. But so do all those people who keep trying to go through the east gate of the temple mount. But cant their efforts succeed if it is time for it? The walls are hideous and ugly. But why the need to build them in the first place?
lemon_and_mint

Post by lemon_and_mint »

It is interesting to consider since many events in Isreal at present, are if one beleives the prophecy, deliberately being masterminded to bring about the prophecy.

It is chicken and egg, which comes first, the prophecy because a seer knows that in the future these people will fulfill this, or the people deciding to do it because of the propechy?
Raven

Post by Raven »

lemon_and_mint;747418 wrote: It is interesting to consider since many events in Isreal at present, are if one beleives the prophecy, deliberately being masterminded to bring about the prophecy.

It is chicken and egg, which comes first, the prophecy because a seer knows that in the future these people will fulfill this, or the people deciding to do it because of the propechy?
Thats what makes it so interesting. Prophecy fortells of a future temple on the mount. Why hasnt that been built yet, in spite of all the talk about it? Because the time of the gentiles hasnt been fulfilled yet. But it's in reference to all the things said about the walled cities of Israel that have me wondering. Because most them refer to a severe time of crisis for Israel. Actually tells people not to go in.
lemon_and_mint

Post by lemon_and_mint »

At the risk of being ridiculed, one of the reasons i am so uneasy about what is happening in pakistan today relates to israel.

Just suppose that the extremists become stronger, this may also include extremists in Iraq and other countries.

Now look where israel is on a map and which countries it borders.

My fear is that isreal becaomes destabilised by the wider political agenda, from the outside.

And where prophecy fits into that, if prophecy is a true event, I do not fully know.

Just a feeling.
spot

Post by spot »

lemon_and_mint;747439 wrote: And where prophecy fits into that, if prophecy is a true event, I do not fully know.It's an interesting puzzle which might be illuminated by some evidence. I know of no instance of prophecy being fulfilled other than by people who knew it was there to aim for. That might pull the rug out from prophecy being a true event if it's so, don't you think?
Raven

Post by Raven »

Sweety, dont worry about being ridiculed. Being true to yourself takes courage. Thats what makes this place so cool! We are all of a different mind on most days. At least the good ones.

As for Israel and prophecy, It's usually about them anyway! hehehehe just so happens to drag us all in it at one time or another!

Unfortunately it's going to get worse before it gets better. You have good cause to be uneasy. All those extremists vow to wipe Israel off the map. But Prophecy also tells us who wins that campaign, and it isnt the extremeists.
lemon_and_mint

Post by lemon_and_mint »

spot;747452 wrote: It's an interesting puzzle which might be illuminated by some evidence. I know of no instance of prophecy being fulfilled other than by people who knew it was there to aim for. That might pull the rug out from prophecy being a true event if it's so, don't you think?

It depends whether you are isolating biblical prophecy from every day socalled "psychic knowledge", i mean the sort of everyday psychic knowledge which for example cause a crashed aircraft to be only half full because half the passengers knew something was wrong, through dreams or other means.In that case, there is no knowledge of the true event, ie the crash, and they did the opposite rather than work towards it.

If you understand me.
Raven

Post by Raven »

spot;747452 wrote: It's an interesting puzzle which might be illuminated by some evidence. I know of no instance of prophecy being fulfilled other than by people who knew it was there to aim for. That might pull the rug out from prophecy being a true event if it's so, don't you think?
Thats the problem isnt it? All those that could tell the event happened after the prophecy arent here to speak of it. All we can do is look at the results of some pretty prophetic events. Such as Babylon. It is not inhabited by people, as was fortold.
spot

Post by spot »

Raven;747465 wrote: Thats the problem isnt it? All those that could tell the event happened after the prophecy arent here to speak of it. All we can do is look at the results of some pretty prophetic events. Such as Babylon. It is not inhabited by people, as was fortold.

I wonder how many capitals of empire from the 7th century BC are still inhabited, if that's when the prophecy was made. Who's a contender?

Sumer? You need inhabitants in Uruk, Ur, Eridu, Kish, Lagash, Nippur - I don't see many of those. The Akkadian Empire? Where's Susa these days? Assur, Nineveh, Dur-Sharrukin, Nimrud are all emptied. The capitals of Chaldea, Elam, the Amorites, the Hurrians, the Kassites are deserted and in some cases lost entirely.

I'm not sure why Babylon stands out as uninhabited when every equivalent is as well.
Raven

Post by Raven »

spot;747486 wrote: I wonder how many capitals of empire from the 7th century BC are still inhabited, if that's when the prophecy was made. Who's a contender?

Sumer? You need inhabitants in Uruk, Ur, Eridu, Kish, Lagash, Nippur - I don't see many of those. The Akkadian Empire? Where's Susa these days? Assur, Nineveh, Dur-Sharrukin, Nimrud are all emptied. The capitals of Chaldea, Elam, the Amorites, the Hurrians, the Kassites are deserted and in some cases lost entirely.

I'm not sure why Babylon stands out as uninhabited when every equivalent is as well.
Because thats the one that came off the top of my head, but now that you so pleasently refreshed my memory, I recall it being said that those cities would be wiped out as well. They havent found Sodom or Gomorrah either, though the location is quite well known thereabouts. And 7th century archaeology (B.C.) in that neighborhood is quite successful. Due to the climate I believe. Look at Persepolis and the Persian Empire! Look at what happens when someone tries to re-claim old Glory! (Saddam was in the process of rebuilding Babylon)If we can find old stone ruins in the tips of Scotland, (Orkneys actually) then we can find the others!
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

spot;747486 wrote: I wonder how many capitals of empire from the 7th century BC are still inhabited, if that's when the prophecy was made. Who's a contender?

Oh, this is off topic, but when I read through the list of names, it made me miss my college days when we studied these empires/city states. Gilgamesh and Enkidu, their tracks along the city walls, gone into the sands of time.

These empires/cities have vanished the way of previous civilizations-they fell, they survived in another form, their descendants still live among us today.

End time prophecy-it is hard to know what is the right interpretation, but it is interesting to read about and think on.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Exactly Chonsi! We have to know where we've been to see where we are going! I particularly love the mystery and magic.......yes magic, of our very beings. Things that still cant be explained in spite of science REALLY trying! And trying to find out what the ancients knew, that we dont!

And what if the palestinians are the true israelites? What if we have that wrong?
Ted

Post by Ted »

spot:-6

Right on. According to J. B. Phillips, Bible translator, the book of Revelation has absolutely nothing to do with some time in the distant future but is a comment on the Roman empire of his day. This is supported by Borg, Crossan and many others.

In B. Anderson"s book "Understanding the Old Testament", prophesy is not about the distant future but the writer's own time or the immediate future.

Folks have been predicting the end of time since before the birth of Jesus.

http://www.sullivan-county.com/nf0/y2k/bible_ca.htm

220 Dates for the End of the world!!! Date Setters!

It is fun to play with though.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Raven

Post by Raven »

rjwould;747517 wrote: That's most likely because it didn't happen like you think it did..You have no idea what I think. I prefer it that way.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Ted;752613 wrote: spot:-6

Right on. According to J. B. Phillips, Bible translator, the book of Revelation has absolutely nothing to do with some time in the distant future but is a comment on the Roman empire of his day. This is supported by Borg, Crossan and many others.

In B. Anderson"s book "Understanding the Old Testament", prophesy is not about the distant future but the writer's own time or the immediate future.

Folks have been predicting the end of time since before the birth of Jesus.

http://www.sullivan-county.com/nf0/y2k/bible_ca.htm

220 Dates for the End of the world!!! Date Setters!

It is fun to play with though.

Shalom

Hi Ted! Hope you have been well!
Ted

Post by Ted »

Raven:-6

Well? Yes. And you also I trust. Welcome back.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

I'm going to check on this further but believe that ancient Babylon continues to exist but under the name Baghdad.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

Ancient Babylon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon

Babylon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shalom

Return to “Christianity”