How do you view Christianity?

Discuss the Christian Faith.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I've noticed we have several here at FG who are anti-religion, some especially against Christianity. I do not want to start a fight. But I'm wondering what/who led you to this? Do you lump all the different sects of Christianity together? Are some better than others? Basically what's your viewpoint?

Just want to know?:)
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Sheryl;727404 wrote: I've noticed we have several here at FG who are anti-religion, some especially against Christianity. I do not want to start a fight. But I'm wondering what/who led you to this? Do you lump all the different sects of Christianity together? Are some better than others? Basically what's your viewpoint?

Just want to know?:)

I was brought up as a Methodist with a very strong preference for Chapel over Church but a strong antipathy to all sects that believe they have a monopoly on truth and salvation - be that Christian, Muslim or anything else.

I am not anti-Christianity but I do have grave reservations about the organised churches - historically they are responsible for a lot of the ills of the world.

Whilst I no longer consider myself to be religious, I would classify myself as an agnostic if I had to use a label, my basic tenets are still Christian and i have a strong interest in all things spiritual.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I'm not anti-christian. I'm definitely not anti-religious. I have many reasons for not being a christian but I'd rather not go into them. It just doesn't work for me. :) What I dislike about it that I think pertains to this thread and the Magic Compass movie thread is the notion that anything smacking of magic, imagination, witchcraft or fantasy is of the devil. Being a pagan, this flies in my face and insults my intelligence as well as my personal religious beliefs.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Bryn Mawr;727418 wrote: I was brought up as a Methodist with a very strong preference for Chapel over Church but a strong antipathy to all sects that believe they have a monopoly on truth and salvation - be that Christian, Muslim or anything else.

I am not anti-Christianity but I do have grave reservations about the organised churches - historically they are responsible for a lot of the ills of the world.

Whilst I no longer consider myself to be religious, I would classify myself as an agnostic if I had to use a label, my basic tenets are still Christian and i have a strong interest in all things spiritual.

I'm always questioning why the different (christian) sects do not get along. It's the same God they worship. It's always amazed me how one group could look down their nose another and tell them point blank they are going to hell. I've always wanted to scream it doesn't say in the Bible you have to Baptist, Church of Christ, Catholic, or even Methodist. :-5

RedGlitter;727435 wrote: I'm not anti-christian. I'm definitely not anti-religious. I have many reasons for not being a christian but I'd rather not go into them. It just doesn't work for me. :) What I dislike about it that I think pertains to this thread and the Magic Compass movie thread is the notion that anything smacking of magic, imagination, witchcraft or fantasy is of the devil. Being a pagan, this flies in my face and insults my intelligence as well as my personal religious beliefs.

I understand.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

I was raised as a Catholic, and an Irish one to boot. I can say that my parents never forced anything down my neck, though some relatives did, which I resented bitterly. Now I am not religious at all, though I do have a personal belief in God, though not a personal God. I am certainly Catholic in terms of growing up in that culture, and I have an affinity for it but not in a religious sense.

My view of Christianity is that it would be a wonderful thing if all people who profess to believe devoutly that Jesus Christ was the human embodiment of God would actually practice his teachings of tolerance for others who are different, non-violence under all circumstances, and love for all of mankind, and demand their leaders do the same.

As a Catholic my view of the various protestant Churches is that in general they are kinda less mystical and more rational than Catholicism and I suppose in some ways more sensible, though as a Catholic I also understand that at the heart of religion is the belief in the Irrational which you cannot rationalize so why bother?

If I did have strong religious convictions then my problem with Christianity as professed by Catholics and most of the Major Protestant churches (I don't get what all the splinter protestant Churches are about, its too complicated) would be its internal inconsistency in terms of doctrine (i.e. The Bible is completely self-contradictory in its arguments on ethics and morality, read it, Genesis to Revelations, it makes no sense if you take it all as being true, honest).

Catholicism in particular is a religion that was designed basically by politcal committees over a period of about 1,000 years, and many of the doctrines that people have murdered each other over are not even mentioned by Jesus (or anyone else) pre the council of Nicea circa 350 AD. Here I am thinking about things like the nature of Jesus, the Trinity, the Holy Spirit, the Virgin Birth, etc etc, so what's that all about? Why was it necessary for Christians to burn other Christians over whether Jesus had 2 natures or one? As for Orthodoxy it's simply the equally valid (on its own terms) Byzantine version of Christianity as opposed to our Roman version, thats exactly what the differences are and all they are. The schism seems to have occurred because 2 Bishops had a fight over Authority, I don't recall God himself getting involved.

If you compare that crazy mess with one of the other major monotheistic religions, Islam; it's immeadiatly apparent that Islam (which I do not advocate at all BTW) is at least a lot more internally consistent. I mean that the Koran was written by one man, is based on one very simple premise, and has an internal logic and moral structure that the Bible completely lacks, as the bible is a lot of different books written by different people in different countries at different times, who seem to have completely different ideas. So basically it was either completely overwritten and the editorial staff didn't do a good job, or God just changed his mind a lot more in the old days than he does now. As for Judasim, well, I don't really have much of an opinion on it other than to say that the Old Testament (or as Jews call it: The Talmud, or is it the Torah, I can never remember that one) is full of cracking stories, but the moral lessons are a bit dubious at best from a Christian perspective. But in their basis all of these monotheistic religions from the Middle East basically worship the same god, (the god of Abraham) or at least profess to. Not that you would guess it by the way the various factions get on.

As for the other major religions.

Hinduism: Interesting, lots of Gods and great stories, but its all a bit complicated, like India istelf.

Buddism: More a metaphysical philosophy than a religion. (The monotheistic ones that came out of the Middle East are Religions with a capital R). Which is why it appeals to a lot of modern urban types.

Confusicanism: Definetly just a philosophy.

Shinto: Kinda like our own Earlier pagan religions, but with some inscrutable Japanese stuff thrown in, again, don't know much about it.

Sikh: This is a bit of a mix between Sufi Islam (the Mystical version), Shiite Islam, all mixed with some indian ideas. Complicated.

Paganism: The animistic (spirit/nature) religions of Ancient Europe whether Greek, Latin, Norse, or my own ancestors' "Celtic" version etc. They are all fairly similar and seem to represent a very old belief system that devloped into all these variants. Again, attractive stories and ideas, but with some highly dubious morality. They are kinda making a comeback as generalized, and domesticated new age ideas, but essentially its animism.

Mormonism: This is a version of Protestanism with Lots of wives, living in Utah, thats about all I know.

Zoroastriamism: Strikingly similar to early Christianity (as is Mithras-worship), but all a bit lost in history, there are some left though.

Scientology: Utter nonsense, how this turkey ever got off the ground I will never know.

Jehova's Witness: The people are nice and pleasant, but some of the ideas are bit odd if you ask me. That stuff about a new version of the bible being buried in South America and found by someone etc, its all a bit conspiracy theory.

Then there are these beliefs

Atheism: or A-Theism, a belief that there is no God, the Universe is just an accident.

Theism: These are all the people who believe in God (or Gods) generally, about 95 percent of all people (or so they claim) breaks down into Mono- and Multi- variants.

Deism: A belief that there is a God, he created the Universe, but thats all, he doesn't intervene, and no real moral imperatives. Kinda lazy, but pretty easy-going.

Agnosticism: A belief in hedging your bets one way or the other, very sensible though open to accusations of cowardlce.

Humanism: The belief that whether God exists or not, we need to focus on the human condition in this life, closely linked with the reformation and the scientific revolution, not really incompatable with any religion (well maybe not Islam), but has its own emphasis. Most secular western people are agnostic/deist humanists in their outlook, but these ideas are so pervasive in modern western culture that most people don't realize that this they are actually "isms" at all.

Existentialism: These are basically arty, tortured atheists.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Sheryl;727452 wrote: I'm always questioning why the different (christian) sects do not get along. It's the same God they worship. It's always amazed me how one group could look down their nose another and tell them point blank they are going to hell. I've always wanted to scream it doesn't say in the Bible you have to Baptist, Church of Christ, Catholic, or even Methodist. :-5

I was brought up to believe that no-one comes between you and God - the guy up front is a guide to help you but your answerable only to God and talk to him directly.

This leads to problems with the like of the Catholics where the Pope is God's representative on Earth, intercession is the norm and dogma replaces teaching but represents a basic schism between high and low church.

Then, especially in the UK, Germany and Finland but basically Europewide, the reformation and the subsequent plots and wars have still left a deep layer of mistrust - the Irish Question hasn't helped here either - between Protestant and Catholic.

So, all in all, them ain't like us so's we don't trust 'em.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Galbally;727477 wrote: I was raised as a Catholic, and an Irish one to boot. I can say that my parents never forced anything down my neck, though some relatives did, which I resented bitterly. Now I am not religious at all, though I do have a personal belief in God, though not a personal God. I am certainly Catholic in terms of growing up in that culture, and I have an affinity for it but not in a religious sense.

That's it then - you're on my ignore list from now on!

Damn'd Papist, can't trust them an inch or they try to blow up the King - don't know why they're allowed on a decent board like this. No self respecting Christian would associate with the bastards!

I've a good mind to cancel my subscription, that'ud show 'em - letting one of them in here! don't know what the world's coming to!

And so it goes on :wah:
grh

Post by grh »

I don't believe in religion, but I do believe in faith.
Who are they to protest me? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there and know what the hell they're yelling about!

:yh_glasse

rambo
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Just to also put forward some positives about Christianity. I do believe that Jesus Christ was a great moral teacher, and that the morality and ethics as expounded by the New Testament gospels are excellent, that moral code has been an indirect force for good in Europe and the world, though unfortunatly all churches and their members rarely live up to them, but at least it gives them a fairly good sense of right and wrong. I also quite like Aristiotle's moral ideas, but of course you are under no pressure to follow them as he was only a pagan philosopher, and thats the big difference between religion and philosophy.

Also of course Christianity's contribution to Western civilization is incalculable, as its a major component of the civilization for 2,000 years, after all Europeans sense of themselves as Europeans inhabiting a zone of a specific civilization, is the result of Europe being "Christendom" as opposed to the Islamic lands. Church music, art, and writing are the major influence on classical music, art, and literature in the Western world. The Christian reformation was one of the major cultural events in world history and was a vital component of the scientific revolution and the emergence of the modern industrial world. Also for all its faults, the Catholic Church's theological interpretation of the Gospels also has a very deep moral code at its centre (unfortunatly mostly ignored by the Church in its day-to-day running as a political organization par excellence) and the Church's promotion of human life and dignity is a good thing.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Bryn Mawr;727492 wrote: That's it then - you're on my ignore list from now on!

Damn'd Papist, can't trust them an inch or they try to blow up the King - don't know why they're allowed on a decent board like this. No self respecting Christian would associate with the bastards!

I've a good mind to cancel my subscription, that'ud show 'em - letting one of them in here! don't know what the world's coming to!

Sure what would you know, you mental proddy. See you in Heaven!

Actually I won't will I coz you ain't heading that way! :wah:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Galbally;727507 wrote: Just to also put forward some positives about Christianity. I do believe that Jesus Christ was a great moral teacher, and that the morality and ethics as expounded by the New Testament gospels are excellent, that moral code has been an indirect force for good in Europe and the world, though unfortunatly all churches and their members rarely live up to them, but at least it gives them a fairly good sense of right and wrong. I also quite like Aristiotle's moral ideas, but of course you are under no pressure to follow them as he was only a pagan philosopher, and thats the big difference between religion and philosophy.

Also of course Christianity's contribution to Western civilization is incalculable, as its a major component of the civilization for 2,000 years, after all Europeans sense of themselves as Europeans inhabiting a zone of a specific civilization, is the result of Europe being "Christendom" as opposed to the Islamic lands. Church music, art, and writing are the major influence on classical music, art, and literature in the Western world. The Christian reformation was one of the major cultural events in world history and was a vital component of the scientific revolution and the emergence of the modern industrial world. Also for all its faults, the Catholic Church's theological interpretation of the Gospels also has a very deep moral code at its centre (unfortunatly mostly ignored by the Church in its day-to-day running as a political organization par excellence) and the Church's promotion of human life and dignity is a good thing.

Sadly, for a very long time, the Church's theological interpretation had more to do with power and money than with faith or morals - take indulgences as a prime example. This went beyond the day to day running of the organisation and into the fundamental beliefs of the people.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Bryn Mawr;727490 wrote: I was brought up to believe that no-one comes between you and God - the guy up front is a guide to help you but your answerable only to God and talk to him directly.

This leads to problems with the like of the Catholics where the Pope is God's representative on Earth, intercession is the norm and dogma replaces teaching but represents a basic schism between high and low church.

Then, especially in the UK, Germany and Finland but basically Europewide, the reformation and the subsequent plots and wars have still left a deep layer of mistrust - the Irish Question hasn't helped here either - between Protestant and Catholic.

So, all in all, them ain't like us so's we don't trust 'em.

The one great thing about Catholicism is that we do have lots of these kinda waccy dogmatic beliefs about the Pope, Mary, Miracles, Transubstantiation, Confession, Original Sin, Celibate Priests etc etc, but since we are Catholics we kinda are allowed to just ignore things that are inconvenient or wrong. That's what keeps the show going. :)

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Galbally;727547 wrote: The one great thing about Catholicism is that we do have lots of these kinda waccy dogmatic beliefs about the Pope, Mary, Miracles, Transubstantiation, Confession, Original Sin, Celibate Priests etc etc, but since we are Catholics we kinda are allowed to just ignore things that are inconvenient or wrong. That's what keeps the show going. :)

Trouble with most religions - ignoring the inconvenient :wah:

No graven images? :p

Mind you, going round destroying all the artworks *was* out of order :-)
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Bryn Mawr;727515 wrote: Sadly, for a very long time, the Church's theological interpretation had more to do with power and money than with faith or morals - take indulgences as a prime example. This went beyond the day to day running of the organisation and into the fundamental beliefs of the people.

I would say in fact that the Catholic and Orthodox Churches have always been more about the Politics of the late Roman Empire than Christianity. I think all Catholic history has to be viewed with the understanding that the leaders of that Church were always aware that they were the airs of whatever was left of the civilization of the Western Roman Empire in Europe, and they ultimately wanted to recreate a spiritual and temporal version of that Empire in Europe. That Christianity just happened to be the State Religion of the Late Roman Empire is an accident of history, and thats important for non-Catholic christians to understand also. Whether that makes Catholicism any more nonsensical than any other organized religious belief or brand of Christianity is of course another question.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Galbally;727555 wrote: I would say in fact that the Catholic and Orthodox Churches have always been more about the Politics of the late Roman Empire than Christianity. I think all Catholic history has to be viewed with the understanding that the leaders of that Church were always aware that they were the airs of whatever was left of the civilization of the Western Roman Empire in Europe, and they ultimately wanted to recreate a spiritual and temporal version of that Empire in Europe. That Christianity just happened to be the State Religion of the Late Roman Empire is an accident of history, and thats as important for non-Catholic christians to understand also. Whether that makes Catholicism any more nonsensical than any other organized religious belief or brand of Christianity is of course another question.[/b

No - just the same as all the others but on a different theme :-)

Did I ever say, I dislike the organised Churches - they have *so* much to answer for :-(
Kittypaws

Post by Kittypaws »

In the "old days" children were usually led to believe that the Bible in its entirety was somehow "handed down to man" by God.

This myth was perpetrated either by parents/teachers/ministers ... when in reality it was put together by power hungry men of the church who left in all that would be of use to them and left out anything that might lessen their hold over their subjects.

Many people believe in a God simply because they were taught to do so when they were young ...
watermark

Post by watermark »

Galbally;727477 wrote: I was raised as a Catholic, and an Irish one to boot. I can say that my parents never forced anything down my neck, though some relatives did, which I resented bitterly. Now I am not religious at all, though I do have a personal belief in God, though not a personal God. I am certainly Catholic in terms of growing up in that culture, and I have an affinity for it but not in a religious sense.

My view of Christianity is that it would be a wonderful thing if all people who profess to believe devoutly that Jesus Christ was the human embodiment of God would actually practice his teachings of tolerance for others who are different, non-violence under all circumstances, and love for all of mankind, and demand their leaders do the same.

As a Catholic my view of the various protestant Churches is that in general they are kinda less mystical and more rational than Catholicism and I suppose in some ways more sensible, though as a Catholic I also understand that at the heart of religion is the belief in the Irrational which you cannot rationalize so why bother?

If I did have strong religious convictions then my problem with Christianity as professed by Catholics and most of the Major Protestant churches (I don't get what all the splinter protestant Churches are about, its too complicated) would be its internal inconsistency in terms of doctrine (i.e. The Bible is completely self-contradictory in its arguments on ethics and morality, read it, Genesis to Revelations, it makes no sense if you take it all as being true, honest).

Catholicism in particular is a religion that was designed basically by politcal committees over a period of about 1,000 years, and many of the doctrines that people have murdered each other over are not even mentioned by Jesus (or anyone else) pre the council of Nicea circa 350 AD. Here I am thinking about things like the nature of Jesus, the Trinity, the Holy Spirit, the Virgin Birth, etc etc, so what's that all about? Why was it necessary for Christians to burn other Christians over whether Jesus had 2 natures or one? As for Orthodoxy it's simply the equally valid (on its own terms) Byzantine version of Christianity as opposed to our Roman version, thats exactly what the differences are and all they are. The schism seems to have occurred because 2 Bishops had a fight over Authority, I don't recall God himself getting involved.

If you compare that crazy mess with one of the other major monotheistic religions, Islam; it's immeadiatly apparent that Islam (which I do not advocate at all BTW) is at least a lot more internally consistent. I mean that the Koran was written by one man, is based on one very simple premise, and has an internal logic and moral structure that the Bible completely lacks, as the bible is a lot of different books written by different people in different countries at different times, who seem to have completely different ideas. So basically it was either completely overwritten and the editorial staff didn't do a good job, or God just changed his mind a lot more in the old days than he does now. As for Judasim, well, I don't really have much of an opinion on it other than to say that the Old Testament (or as Jews call it: The Talmud, or is it the Torah, I can never remember that one) is full of cracking stories, but the moral lessons are a bit dubious at best from a Christian perspective. But in their basis all of these monotheistic religions from the Middle East basically worship the same god, (the god of Abraham) or at least profess to. Not that you would guess it by the way the various factions get on.

As for the other major religions.

Hinduism: Interesting, lots of Gods and great stories, but its all a bit complicated, like India istelf.

Buddism: More a metaphysical philosophy than a religion. (The monotheistic ones that came out of the Middle East are Religions with a capital R). Which is why it appeals to a lot of modern urban types.

Confusicanism: Definetly just a philosophy.

Shinto: Kinda like our own Earlier pagan religions, but with some inscrutable Japanese stuff thrown in, again, don't know much about it.

Sikh: This is a bit of a mix between Sufi Islam (the Mystical version), Shiite Islam, all mixed with some indian ideas. Complicated.

Paganism: The animistic (spirit/nature) religions of Ancient Europe whether Greek, Latin, Norse, or my own Ancestors Celtic version etc. They are all fairly similar and seem to represent a very old belief system that devloped into all these variants. Again, attractive stories and ideas, but with some highly dubious morality. They are kinda making a comeback as generalized, and domesticated new age ideas, but essentially its animism.

Mormonism: This is a version of Protestanism with Lots of wives, living in Utah, thats about all I know.

Zoroastriamism: Strikingly similar to early Christianity (as is Mithras-worship), but all a bit lost in history, there are some left though.

Scientology: Utter nonsense, how this turkey ever got off the ground I will never know.

Jehova's Witness: The people are nice and pleasant, but some of the ideas are bit odd if you ask me. That stuff about a new version of the bible being buried in South America and found by someone etc, its all a bit conspiracy theory.

Then there are these beliefs

Atheism: or A-Theism, a belief that there is no God, the Universe is just an accident.

Theism: These are all the people who believe in God (or Gods) generally, about 95 percent of all people (or so they claim) breaks down into Mono- and Multi- variants.

Deism: A belief that there is a God, he created the Universe, but thats all, he doesn't intervene, and no real moral imperatives. Kinda lazy, but pretty easy-going.

Agnosticism: A belief in hedging your bets one way or the other, very sensible though open to accusations of cowardlce.

Humanism: The belief that whether God exists or not, we need to focus on the human condition in this life, closely linked with the reformation and the scientific revolution, not really incompatable with any religion (well maybe not Islam), but has its own emphasis. Most secular western people are agnostic/deist humanists in their outlook, but these ideas are so pervasive in modern western culture that most people don't realize that this they are actually "isms" at all.

Existentialism: These are basically arty, tortured atheists.

ditto
abbey

Post by abbey »

Most know that as an Atheist I envy those who believe.

What I have always found strange is the way people view me differently when they find out!
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

abbey;727830 wrote: Most know that as an Atheist I envy those who believe.

What I have always found strange is the way people view me differently when they find out!

I think it makes you quite appealing. :rolleyes:

I am not an Atheist, though I am not religious at all, but I understand what you mean about envying those who truly have a strong faith in some religious belief, but at the same time although I am not someone of a strong faith or belief system, I am happy with who I am, as thats the way I was meant to be I think.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

For me it was the fact that the religion I was raised with never 'felt right' somehow and in my 20's I really started to question why that was and that there was maybe a religion that would 'fit' me better somehow but that wasn't working for me either and then it sort of just dawned on me that I didn't *need* to have a religion at all.

The biggest thing that doesn't work for me with religions is all the man made rules but I suppose a big part of why that bugs me is it goes against my nature since I'm a hippie, free-spirit, non-conformist type of person anyway. :p And I just could not ever wrap my brain around most of these "rules". Does God really care what we eat or what we wear, etc.??

So, I'd say I'm spiritual if anything. I believe in bits and pieces from a lot of different religions and that feels right to me. :-6
Lon

Post by Lon »

I am not anti Christian at all, but I am anti religion (everyone one of them).

I am absolutely convinced that if any one particular religion were to dominate, it's believers would reek havoc with all those that did not believe as they do.

History would prove this to be a valid statement. Even the most non violent, middle of the road faiths, if they began to dominate, would find it difficult to not discriminate and mistreat those not of their thinking. Fortunately for us non believers, the fact that there are so many cults & religions keeps us relatively safe, at least in the U.S., for the time being. If I were to express my non belief in many parts of the world, I would be dead meat.
koan

Post by koan »

I have the same opinion of all people who express faith in something. I'm happy for them, that they found something to believe in. I am pretty annoyed if they are hypocritical about it though. I don't take it lightly when people profess to believe something strongly then change the tune whenever it suits their fancy.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Lon:-6

I am complete agreement with you on any form of theocracy. Even as a Christian pluralist I would not want to see any such form. It would very quickly become a tyranny.

Shalom

Ted:-6
booradley

Post by booradley »

I'm methodist...religion light. Keep it simple and do good work.
itchybon

Post by itchybon »

I am not a "christian", I cannot stand bible-pounders. And I do not associate with bipolar or mentally ill people. Are there any here? Just wondering.
Ted

Post by Ted »

itchybon:-6

I feel sorry for you. Since you don't associate with these people you will never get to know many wonderful folks who live in this world.

Than since I suffer from unipolar disorder I guess you won't be conversing with me. Actually I'm no different than anyone else except that I have been diagnosed with clinical depression. The medications work wonderfully.

Shalom

itchybon

Post by itchybon »

Ted;730354 wrote: itchybon:-6

I feel sorry for you. Since you don't associate with these people you will never get to know many wonderful folks who live in this world.

Than since I suffer from unipolar disorder I guess you won't be conversing with me. Actually I'm no different than anyone else except that I have been diagnosed with clinical depression. The medications work wonderfully.

Shalom

Is this a forum for mental disorders? Just wondering. And it's not problem for me if you do not converse with me.
Ted

Post by Ted »

I will leave that for others to respond to.

Shalom

itchybon

Post by itchybon »

Ted;730367 wrote: itchybon:-6

I will leave that for others to respond to.

Shalom

Ted:-6And do you think that they will be as honest with me as you have been?
Ted

Post by Ted »

If anyone chooses to reply my belief is "yes".

Shalom

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ted;730399 wrote: itchybon:-6

If anyone chooses to reply my belief is "yes".

Shalom

I really do not see that anyone will chose to reply to someone who is so obviously a troll.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Bryn Mawr;731486 wrote: I really do not see that anyone will chose to reply to someone who is so obviously a troll.

That's just Cinnimon. Or however wrong way she misspells her name. :wah: Troll is right Bryn.
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

I am not anti-religion. Although not religious, I actually belief that some of the messages Christianity puts forward are very good and contain some excellent guidelines in life. I have made sure that both my children are aware of Christianity, the believes and messages. I believe in making sure that they are equipt with all the information required to make their own decisions about religion and their beliefs later in life.

I do have a problem when religion is rammed in my face. When religion is used as an excuse for evil. When religion is forced upon children. When religion is used to control people. When religion is used to scare people.

So although I think it contains great parts, the down sides make me stay away from it. I choose to teach my kids about religion. I choose to teach my children how to be decent people.

I view religion as just another part of life/beliefs that my children will be made aware of.

I believe in the supernatural, and believe that people contain many powers. These powers, in my belief, are not controlled by a God.

:-6:-6
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

itchybon;730339 wrote: I am not a "christian", I cannot stand bible-pounders. And I do not associate with bipolar or mentally ill people. Are there any here? Just wondering.

I missed this earlier - how dare you - you coward.

An excellent decision to ban this piece of scum!!! :mad:
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

ThePheasant;731499 wrote: I missed this earlier - how dare you - you coward.

An excellent decision to ban this piece of scum!!! :mad:

Well said Mrs, it seems as though Itchyass cin is racist to mentally ill people, Mexicans, girlfriends of her mechanic, Jeez she must be running out of people to talk to!!
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

just to clarify..itchybon is cinnimon but is now banned...is cinnimon banned? I didnt like itchys posts last night either and so i snitched on the itch:sneaky::sneaky:
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

Chezzie;731504 wrote: just to clarify..itchybon is cinnimon but is now banned...is cinnimon banned? I didnt like itchys posts last night either and so i snitched on the itch:sneaky::sneaky:

Good on ya, they are both banned but she was using another name a couple of weeks ago, multiple personalities, you'd of least thought there would have been at least 1 good one in the bunch!! :wah:

Ted

Post by Ted »

I feel truly sorry for this person. People who cannot accept others as they are often cannot accept themselves. Some form of help should be sought.

If she has been banned, I do see that as appropriate. Truly she does not understand the human condition nor does she make any effort to do so. That is so sad.

May s/he find true peace someday.

Shalom

Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

:sneaky:Beats me why they would put so much effort in and then be so boring, they could at least come up with some original material to make it worth their while:sneaky:
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

Ted;731511 wrote: I feel truly sorry for this person. People who cannot accept others as they are often cannot accept themselves. Some form of help should be sought.

If she has been banned, I do see that as appropriate. Truly she does not understand the human condition nor does she make any effort to do so. That is so sad.

May s/he find true peace someday.

Shalom

Thats what I meant:D You are such a sound guy Ted :)

Just remembered she was nuthead too, maybe she was trying to let us in on something :)

Ted

Post by Ted »

SuzyB:-6

Thanks. I just try, with God, help to follow in the masters footsteps.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

ThePheasant:-6

What you are teaching your children sounds good here. Talk is cheap. It is much better to walk the walk.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

I think many Christians try to put God in a box; their box. He can and He can't do this that or the other. This or that person is damned because s/he isn't a Christian or s/he does this or that. This person is a Muslim so s/he is on the downward slide. In my view and the view of many Christian theologians is that this is a very terrible misreading of the life and example of Jesus. They have created and exclusivism that Jesus never intended.

Let us consider whom he associated with: sinners, prostitutes, tax collectors, the homeless and the destitute, the "dregs of society" and heaven forbid the Samaritans who were hated by the traditional Jews.

We are clearly told that God will be merciful to whom He will be merciful. I am certainly not in a position to tell God what He can't or because of some statement in the Bible He cannot do.

Far too many Christians have made God in their own image and then they place the God they have created in a box with their name on it.

I think we ought to deal with the plank in our own eye and leave everything else to God.

Who are we to say that the divine has not visited the other cultures of the world and spoken to them in the way that they can best understand. Who would dare to tell the divine what they expect Him/Her to do.

God will not be put in any one's box.

I should point out here that we are told to have faith in God. We are apparently saved by faith. The word faith in the Bible does not mean right or correct belief or one would have to wonder which on of 22 000 Christian denominations would be the correct one, if any. The word faith means trust. One does not have to be a Christian to trust God. All we have to remember is that God has a thousand or more names but it is still the ultimate reality that we all trust.

Shalom

spot

Post by spot »

Ted;736007 wrote: I think we ought to deal with the plank in our own eye and leave everything else to God.That sums matters up perfectly for me.

As far as the thread title goes I'm reminded of Mahatma Gandhi's reply to a reporter's question "What do you think of Western Civilization?": "I think it would be a good idea!".
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ted

Post by Ted »

spot:-6

I think he also said something like "I like your Jesus but your Christians leave a lot to desire."

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

An interesting site.

http://www.theologicalmusingsblog.com/2 ... ng-god-if/

You Might Be Misrepresenting God If… « Steve Sensenig's Theological Musings

Shalom

Return to “Christianity”