Today I Saw A Nun

Discuss the Christian Faith.
cinamin

Today I Saw A Nun

Post by cinamin »

I live in a convent building where there are 180 retired nuns. Sometimes I hang out with them, as they are on the 2nd floor and I am living on the 3rd. In the huge building next to this one where I live, there are the retired sisters. Lots of them lived in New Guinea for 20 years and did missionary work there. But they don't wear their habits...the black robes and the head coverings. As they are retired.

This morning as I was walking back from the breakfast cafe there was a younger one walking towards me. She had on a blue outfit with the head covering. She was smiling. And we said hello. Instantly I remembered my Catholic school uniform and all of those memories came back to me.

The Rob

Today I Saw A Nun

Post by The Rob »

How did you come to live in a convent building (and what is a convent building, come to think of it?) I did not have a religious upbringing and am woefully ignorant of many practices of the Catholic faith. I'm always interested to learn of others' observances. :)
cinamin

Today I Saw A Nun

Post by cinamin »

I, Rob;706071 wrote: How did you come to live in a convent building (and what is a convent building, come to think of it?) I did not have a religious upbringing and am woefully ignorant of many practices of the Catholic faith. I'm always interested to learn of others' observances. :)

One doesn't have to be Catholic to live here. I had to go through an interview process. I was referred here from a women's hotel/shelter where I lived for 7 months.

There are girls who are here who were leaving abusive relationships and had no safe place to go (like myself).

A convent is where nuns live. Usually they are next to or attached to a Catholic church. This one is related to the Catholic hospital next door. Part of the building used to be used for hospital meetings. And behind me is a retreat house and another large building where the head sister lives. I haven't seen her around though. Needless to say, it is very safe and quiet here.

The Catholic church helps lots of people. Contrary to what the media and newspapers love to write about the priests and the lawsuits.

Attached files
guppy

Today I Saw A Nun

Post by guppy »

magenta flame;706200 wrote: I'm really sorry to hear that cinamin:o but I'm glad you're happy there. I loved our old convent. My dad used to do the gardens for the church and the convent and as kids we used to sneak away and run up and down the halls to see who could get the longest skid. Gee those floors were slippery. sister superior (sister Jackilyn) used to come out of her office and demand us out , but there was a sweet little old nun (sister Dominica) who'd see us coming and look around to see if anyone was around and give us the green light to GO ! but always put her finger up to her mouth to shuush us. I was around six so that made my sister 5 and brother 3. I think they enjoyed our hysterical giggles in that long wide hall really.:-6:D

i can picture you three doing the run/skids mag...lmao:wah:
guppy

Today I Saw A Nun

Post by guppy »

i had eye surgery when i was young ( around eight)..in a catholic hospital...i remember going to sleep in the operating room with a nun sitting in the corner..my thoughts.?.that angel must of been playing in the mud..:o
AussiePam

Today I Saw A Nun

Post by AussiePam »

I had some association when I was little with a convent of Anglican nuns in Melbourne, Australia. One of the things they did was take on nursing patients with the at-that-time new nasty illness, AIDS - when nobody else would go near them.

Nuns are human, and not perfect, but I reckon this was impressive.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Ted

Today I Saw A Nun

Post by Ted »

cinamin:-6

The news media always like to slam the church. They rarely print the good stuff that is not real news as far as they are concerned. More folks seem interested in the dirt. While I am not a Roman Catholic I do have a great deal of respect for some fine Roman Catholic friends and some fine Roman Catholic clergy. All churches have their problems not just one.

Shalom

Ted:-6

Return to “Christianity”