Discuss the Christian Faith.
koan

How do you view God?

Post by koan »

I view God with binoculars. His cloud is pretty high up there. :D
RedGlitter

How do you view God?

Post by RedGlitter »

I don't believe there's one correct view of God. God is many things to many people by nature IMO. I think this is dangerous territory.
RedGlitter

How do you view God?

Post by RedGlitter »

Far Rider;692469 wrote: Many folks view him in many ways this is true but he has only one nature, he has only one reality. He is the way he is regardless of how we view him.

I don't know this to be true.

Just because you choose to view him one way doesnt mean thats the true way he is. It just means its your view.

Same for me.

Same for anyone.

Again I don't know this to be so. Who is anyone to say what God may be to anyone else? I can't pretend to know what the reality of God may be, that hasn't been allowed to me. I am only mortal.

So, how do you view God?

Far, there's no possible way I could explain that without cheapening what I hold dear. I could try but like a hologram, you would only be seeing parts of it and I would do a poor job of getting my views across. I know what God is to me and that's the most I could hope for anyone. I hope this makes some kind of sense. :o
Joe

How do you view God?

Post by Joe »

God is there to give mankind hope.

God is there to understand & listen without actually intervening & DOING anything, rather like the Samaritans do today.

God is there to be an answer to the things we don't (or can't ever) understand.

God is a psychological crutch (I think Julian Huxley first said this).

God is the means whereby religious organisations gain power & control of ordinary people & keep them in their place, (ie subservient & willfully paying lots of money to them) - a somewhat synical view of him, or what he's been used to justify. The fear or promise of two extremely differing afterlives - which NO ONE has (or can) ever prove with certainty - has been the main way of keeping this hold over people, especially through history when people were more naive & more prepared to believe what they were told.

God (& Jesus) represent an ideal way whereby mankind can live in harmony with each other (treat others as you'd have them treat you is one of the more sensible & practical teachings of the Bible).

God was made by man in man's image. Therefore God represents what man wants him to. Different people have different ideas of what God really is, that's how some people use God to justify wars & domination, & also the wish of many people (of many religions) who just wish we'd all get on together & be nicer to each other.

God is an all knowing parent figure for adults who want to share the responsibility of adulthood with someone else who will take the ultimate responsibility away from them.

Religion is a 'club' where people can take comfort from being part of a big organisation that will always welcome them wherever they are, & whoever they are. And, the God question aside, it's also a place of social gathering, & people are, whatever their diffrernces, social creatures. People like to be part of something that makes them feel they count.

God is someone to do things FOR, to justify altruistic actions as well as questionable ones (abortion is a questionable one, Roman Catholics don't believe in it, other faiths do). After securing their own importance & survival in people's minds most religions basically want their members to be at peace with the world. And because this may not be a natural instinct in a survival of the fittest world maybe it needs the idea of a God in charge to make us look beyond our own selfish needs sometimes.

God is basically a figurehead for things people believe to be good. And in many cases things that are done in God's name ARE good. There may be notable exeptions, but on the whole these days people with a religious faith (so long as they don't ram it down your throat) ARE good people, nice people, caring people, understanding people. Faith schools are popular these days because they're increasingly seen to have an ethos of understanding others, a caring & more respecting ethos that differs from the 'me me me' ethos of much of modern life today.

God (in the past) combined people's insecurities with a means for social control. Accept your place in life, don't rock the boat, don't question your betters. The song 'All Things Bright & Beautiful' sums this view up perfectly in a verse (now usually ommitted):

The rich man at his castle

The poor man at his gate

God made them high or lowly

And ordered their estate.

Nowadays a more humanitarion ethos is becoming prominant in members of differeing religions. Members of one religion are taught to respect the faiths of others (did anyone see that programme last night about the Jewish leader who visited a Jewish school with a large proportion of Muslim pupils - who were welcomed & respected for their own faith?)

In the Christian church the different factions of Christianity are now working closer together. Visiting preachers being welcomed to preach in each others' churches. Religious leaders working WITH each other, not competing with each other.

So how do I personally view God? Well I'm a bit confused. I accept the view that he's used as a way of control, to justify manipulation of the rich (to give money) & the poor (to make them accept their lot in life), I accept that he justifies wars & control of some groups of people by other groups of people, for some people, I accept that he answers questions mankind can't answer for itself (what happens after we die?), I accept that he provides a lot of comfort to people that can't find it in their life from other ways, I accept that mankind needs to be less selfish for the greater good of all, I accept that I don't have all the answers & I like the idea that someone does - even if he isn't going to tell us them!

I'm agnostic, but if I was forced to make a straight choice between believer or athiest I'd go with believer. Am I just a coward? Is this the afterlife question looming up again? Is that why there's so many old people in churches? Or is it part of a greater fear that we know so much but we'll never know it all? Is the psychological crutch that religion offers that really has the greatest hold over us?

This thread asks a good question.
minks

How do you view God?

Post by minks »

jimbo;692475 wrote: i cant view god

no one can view god

no one has ever viewed god

no one will ever view god

and there is a very simple reason for this :thinking::thinking::thinking:

I subscribe to Jimbos's belief 100% with a slight twist, I don't believe in god.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
minks

How do you view God?

Post by minks »

jimbo;692592 wrote: i totaly agree with me too ,there is no god full stop as i see it :thinking::thinking:

apart from ted

no one has ever made the slightest bit of sense on the matter as i can see it :thinking:

I saw this man once he had a god-like body does that count?

Ok sorry we are ruining this thread aren't we... sorry Rider.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Lon

How do you view God?

Post by Lon »

Far Rider;692466 wrote: I.

There has to be a correct view of God, so what do you think it is?

How could there possibly be a correct or incorrect view of God? What human being could possibly be empowered with such insight? Wouldn't anyone's view be mere conjecture?
el guapo

How do you view God?

Post by el guapo »

Lon;692656 wrote: How could there possibly be a correct or incorrect view of God? What human being could possibly be empowered with such insight? Wouldn't anyone's view be mere conjecture?

god has many faces

be it muslim jewish budist jahovah christian same god diff name diff face
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
RedGlitter

How do you view God?

Post by RedGlitter »

Lon;692656 wrote: How could there possibly be a correct or incorrect view of God? What human being could possibly be empowered with such insight? Wouldn't anyone's view be mere conjecture?

Well said, Lon. Wish I had said it similarly.

The notion that we are to understand/comprehend God baffles me. If we knew that we'd *be* God.

IMO.
RedGlitter

How do you view God?

Post by RedGlitter »

Far Rider;692769 wrote: too dogmatic eh?

*Far climbs off his high horse*

ok...

Rider out!

Now why'd you leave, Far?? I hope I didn't offend you! Not being Christian, my views of God are probably far different from what you had intended the thread to reflect. Perhaps I shouldn't be in it. I was just putting my feeling out there. It's your thread! I'll leave- you come on back! :o
RedGlitter

How do you view God?

Post by RedGlitter »

Oh. Well, speaking only for me, I'm very private about my faith and beliefs. I've always been this way. I tend to stay out of the religious threads for that reason but something made me poke my snout into this one. :) The task of trying to explain how I view God is monumentally daunting to me. One thing I'll open up about here is that I have never had the ability to understand professing the same belief in mass quantity. In other words, growing up attending the Methodist church with all the other Methodists, claiming to believe in the same things all the others did seemed fake to me. And very improbable. I view God as a private entity unto every individual mortal. I don't understand "cookie cutter" religion and by that, I don't mean to be offensive with my terminology. I think God must wear many faces in order to be accessible to many different beings. One God, Many Paths in other words.

I once took a road trip with a Jehovah's Witness. She was always trying to sway me off my personal path much to my annoyance. It was one sided as well, as I did not treat her that way but rather asked a lot of questions to understand her ways. She insisted on knowing how I knew what I believed in was right. What bible or book did I use for backup? I said my faith had no magic book, that it was what my heart knew to be true. This was not good enough for her. I understand the reasoning behind that, like Hitler probably thought God was on his side too, but it's the best I can do. I feel I was born with the innate sense of what (my own) God is and what I am supposed to do in my lifetime, toward the good.

My inability to adequately describe my personal code is part of the reason I stay mum, to avoid people's nastiness and ignorant comments. I know you would not be like that, so on more thought, I don't mind opening up some in this thread.

Ok well....we'll see where this goes, huh? :)
RedGlitter

How do you view God?

Post by RedGlitter »

Far if I'm one who's made you feel that way, I sincerely apologize. You know I'm fond of you and would never want to hurt you or insult you. :)
WonderWendy3

How do you view God?

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Far Rider;692466 wrote: In a Sunday School class recently the teacher explained that when he was in college he and his class discussed common ways folks view God... from his notes that day he shared 7 different ways...

1. The 'Attentive Waiter' God is like a very attentive waiter, he is there when I need him, I can wave my hand and he appears at my side, I ask him for more (fill in the blank) and he gives it to me...

2. The 'Task Master' God is like an overbearing taskmaster, he is stern and quickly punishes me for the slightest slacking off...

3. The 'Traffic Cop', God is like a traffic cop, he is just waiting for me hidding around every corner, lurking, ready to pounce and ticket my so I will have to pay my fine...

4. The 'Impersonal Scientist', God's out there, he's very smart, he passes on his intelligence but I can never really know him, he is too smart for me to understand him and I can never interact with him.

5. The 'Heavenly Grampa' God is like a Grampa, loving, giving person, he is smiling down at me all the time, and he's happy with me as long as I visit him once in a while.

6. 'The Santa Claus God', God is like Santa Claus, he's warm and inviting, jolly, he likes when I'm good and he gives me presents, he's not real, he's just a good idea.

7. 'God is like me'... what I think is good is good, what I think is bad is bad, on the big sins like murder and adultry we agree, but it's ok if I tell a small lie to get what I want.

These ways we view God above are actually all wrong ways to view God but after discussing it in the group I was amazed at the number of poeple that admitted that at one time or another they actually viewed God in one or more of these ways...

If we don't have a correct view of God then we wont treat him the correct way. If I view him as The Santa Claus God, then I have a decidedly wrong view of Sin, one that will affect my life. When I tell my small lies that I think will never affect anyone else and they come back to reveal I lied it forces me to make another choice to lie to cover up my smaller lie, having lied already I'm more likely to lie again and it goes deeper and deeper.

If I have the Attentive Waiter view I'm gonna be very dissapointed, cause anything I'm given by anybody won't be from God, he's not the servant type! But more importantly that view assumes God just waits in the wings for me to need him and doesnt take into consideration that he wants an ongoing relationship with me.

And I am certain you can read into the other views and why they limit the relationship God desires to have with us.

There has to be a correct view of God, so what do you think it is?

Awesome post Far, and I believe that everyone views God differently or unfortunately not at all. When I first became a Christian I remember a friend of mine daughter who was 6 years old, told a lady that Santa Clause was a nice story and there was no such thing, and that Christmas was celebrated because of Jesus. I was so impressed by this little girl, and thought WOW....out of the mouths of babes.

I view God as my loving Heavenly Father, and I am thankful to be his Child.:-4
nvalleyvee

How do you view God?

Post by nvalleyvee »

jimbo;692475 wrote: i cant view god

no one can view god

no one has ever viewed god

no one will ever view god

and there is a very simple reason for this :thinking::thinking::thinking:

I have never seen god.

I do not believe in an omnipotent being that swoops down and can impregnate a human woman. Does this not remind you of both Greeks and Christian faith? Most of the Greek gods were fathers to many 1/2 mortal children.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
YZGI

How do you view God?

Post by YZGI »

Far Rider;692854 wrote: I'm good Red, no worries.

I am just positive that folks really don't want to discuss religion on these threads. I figured by the types of posts this generated I was pretty much wasting my time and energy...

Folks just dont want to hear about God anymore even on religion threads.

I don't know what to make of it really.

But I'm not personally offended. More disappointed, but I'm sure I'll get over it!
Far, I know its probably to late but just to let you know I read every single post you,Ted,Clint etc etc write. I know I don't participate much but always read hoping to learn. My grandfather is a retired Methodist Minister and I grew up in the Church of Christ. I don't attend church regularly but do have faith, just not sure of the path. Anyways I hope you will reconsider because I will miss your posts.
Ted

How do you view God?

Post by Ted »

I'm going to leave the cynicism alone.

All of the world's great faiths began based on two main tenets; justice (distributive) and compassion.

God has many names and many faces. All of the great faiths lead to God or perhaps better put as the ultimate reality.

I cannot describe God since any words or phrases I would use would be purely metaphorical. The Divine is beyond human language and conceptualization abilities. The sacred writings of many faiths note that God is love.. Our job is to fight for justice and to display compassion.

Shalom

Ted:-6
mikeinie

How do you view God?

Post by mikeinie »

I always thoght the best expaination of God, Heavan and all was given by a priest I once knew.

‘Can a pregnant mother explain to a child in her womb what the world he/she is about to be born into is like? What his/her parents are like? and the beauty he/she will see in the world?

No, the child will need to be born into the world to experience it first hand.’ The same is with Heavan.
RedGlitter

How do you view God?

Post by RedGlitter »

jimbo;693555 wrote: but an unborn child does not speak

if god was really there would it really hurt him to tell his followers not to keep blowing each other up up and killing tens of thousands of each other in his name

Yet on the flip side, is God not there when the surgeon places his hand in someone's open chest?

Is God not behind the pregnant woman who gives her body to help create life? And is God not there in the new father who is awed by this process?

Is God not in the child who crawls into his parents' bed early Saturday morning and snuggles up between them?

Is God not responsible for every flower, tree, bird, rainbow, falling star?

Is God only responsible for the bad things in life?

I let anyone believe as they want to the same as I want for myself so I am only asking for the sake of asking.

I could not live in a Godless world. It would be too hard. Yet I don't use God as a crutch but when I am at my breaking point, there's no other name I cry out. I don't believe it's God who allows people to hurt each other. I believe it's people themselves who are responsible. I believe there are lessons to be learned, hard often painful ones, and that mortal humans are not equipped to remotely comprehend God's nature, regardless of what faith they hold to. It's because of this that when people want to tell me "how God works" I turn them off. They don't know and neither do I. We'll find out when we get there. :)
Bryn Mawr

How do you view God?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Far Rider;692854 wrote: I'm good Red, no worries.

I am just positive that folks really don't want to discuss religion on these threads. I figured by the types of posts this generated I was pretty much wasting my time and energy...

Folks just dont want to hear about God anymore even on religion threads.

I don't know what to make of it really.

But I'm not personally offended. More disappointed, but I'm sure I'll get over it!

Far.

People do listen - even if they don't make immediate response what you say sits there and gets added to the mix. Just by reading your ideas they are forced to re-evaluate their own position.

People might disagree but by making them think you are having an effect.

This is not worth cutting yourself off over. You are valued here - you say you're disappointed but not half as much as I am!

Please reconsider.
SuzyB

How do you view God?

Post by SuzyB »

I looked for Far the other day, he has left :(
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

Bryn Mawr

How do you view God?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

SuzyB;693764 wrote: I looked for Far the other day, he has left :(

I'm hoping he might look in as a guest occasionally or that some kind soul might pass the message on?
Ted

How do you view God?

Post by Ted »

Unfortunately that is a problem that some have when others disagree with them.

Shalom

Ted

How do you view God?

Post by Ted »

Suzy:-6

The only question I would leave out is the one concerning God being responsible for the bad things in life. Definitely not.

The folks were asking Jesus for a sign and his response was they had one from Moses and the prophets. If they would not believe them they would not believe even words from heaven.

Shalom

Ted

How do you view God?

Post by Ted »

Jesus never claimed to be God. In fact throughout his life he always maintained his subservience to God; telling us that all he spoke came from the faither.

Yes he is quoted as apparently saying I and the father are one. This does not mean he is God. Paul referred to the "one in whom we live and move and have our being." In that sense we are all one with God. The Divine is within us not somewhere out there.

Jesus was so close to God that God manifested himself in the very human Jesus of Nazareth. He was the son of God as we are given the power to become the sons and daughters of God. His experience of the Divine was much more intense then ours.

Shalom

Nomad

How do you view God?

Post by Nomad »

Far, your notion that the only correct way to perceive God is the way that you perceive him is pompous and ignorant. Its small minded buddy. God is a personal experience. It must be as we all see with different eyes and come from different backgrounds. Your reality might not be my reality.

As an example if we were to have opposing views on the war in Iraq, your reality tells you because of your upbringing or experiences you have endured along the way your opinions might vary from mine because our perceptions are based on seperate realities.

You might say there is only one reality concerning God but you can only say that with any degree of truth because it is what you believe. If I were to make claim that your view is invalid and exempt would be to make claim that only my beliefs harbor the original and correct truth.

For me to make such an ignorant statement would automatically nullify my sense of sound and reasonable judgement. It could be contributed to ego or ignorance, an inability to stretch my mind.

If you were to preface your statement with "I believe and I wont be swayed" or some such thing then fine, you have conviction but to be so bold as to say "The way I perceive God is the only correct way" is just ignorant.

God in my opinion will understand all of us despite our shortcomings.

Think BIGGER my friend !
I AM AWESOME MAN
Ted

How do you view God?

Post by Ted »

skittles:-6

I too am a trinitarian. That has been my experience. As for coming to grips with the concept it is beyond all of us. It is beyond our conceptualization ability.

Shalom

Indian Princess

How do you view God?

Post by Indian Princess »

I read and reread Fars original post, unless I am perceiving it incorrectly even the very last statement, is a narrative of a coll prof. notes from a class, and the last statement of the teacher was the last statement of the thread topic; not Fars?

And Ted, I have known Far for a very long time, and he doesnt up and run at the smallest disagreement. But he will leave when rudeness is there, like most others.
Indian Princess

How do you view God?

Far you dont need to leave FG,

Rudeness needs to leave

Insults need to leave

Adults need to stay
Ted

How do you view God?

Post by Ted »

Nomad:-6

An excellent post. Well put.

Shalom

Ted

How do you view God?

Post by Ted »

Indian Princess:-6

I really haven't seen too much rudeness.

Shalom

Indian Princess

How do you view God?

TED-thats also in reference to things I read on other posts,not just fg, so, did I not understand where the last statement was coming from, the prof, or Far? Now I am lost, it was late, could you please tell me.

Thanks, and Nomad,post some pics of your new bike!! How exciting, I was really glad to hear from your wife, she let it slip, also, you worked your butt off studying, is it a Harley chopper?

Have a nice o ne, and Ted, please let me know ok:-6
Clint

How do you view God?

Post by Clint »

I somehow missed this thread. I kept looking for Far's posts. It saddens me that he is gone. Very sad!
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
abbey

How do you view God?

Post by abbey »

Vicky Mae;718260 wrote: I'll be flobbergosted! I mentioned forum garden in the car yesterday and he said he quit, and he really did! I am shocked!Me too VM, give my regards to your hubby :-4
Betty Boop

How do you view God?

Post by Betty Boop »

Vicky Mae;718260 wrote: I'll be flobbergosted! I mentioned forum garden in the car yesterday and he said he quit, and he really did! I am shocked!

Me too! Love and regards to you all :-4
Bryn Mawr

How do you view God?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Vicky Mae;718260 wrote: I'll be flobbergosted! I mentioned forum garden in the car yesterday and he said he quit, and he really did! I am shocked!

A lot of us were very saddened by his decision.

Please pass on my regards and best wishes.

And tell him to come back! :-6
Ted

How do you view God?

Post by Ted »

I find it rather interesting that those who profess to be fundamentalist Christians seem to have departed the scene. Perhaps it is in the line of "I've made up my mind so don't confuse me with the facts". The word "faith" means trust and not right belief. Is this, as I suspect, a lack of trust in God? I don't raise this issue lightly as I was raised as a very strict fundamentalist but found that it was erroneous. Such views cannot be supported historically, scientifically or archaeologically.

Shalom

Return to “Christianity”