Discuss the Christian Faith.
Carl44

Am I wrong?

Post by Carl44 »

that is terrible :mad::mad:
sunny104

Am I wrong?

Post by sunny104 »

I don't think you're wrong at all, that's a horrible thing for him to say.
YZGI

Am I wrong?

Post by YZGI »

That would be the last time that church ever seen me.
YZGI

Am I wrong?

Post by YZGI »

AngelEyes82;678763 wrote: That why we didn't go Sunday..

He has no right to kick anyone out of a church.. :thinking:
In all honesty if I were a regular attendee at that church and I knew some of the people there well I would be trying to get rid of his self righteous ass.
RedGlitter

Am I wrong?

Post by RedGlitter »

Susie, you're not at all wrong. God doesn't care if you give money or how much you can give. God will love you regardless. You can serve God in other ways besides chunking out wads to your church. That pastor was pulling a Jerry Lewis Telethon with that wheelbarrow and that was absolutely smarmy. Frankly, I would have gotten up and left.
WonderWendy3

Am I wrong?

Post by WonderWendy3 »

AngelEyes82;678733 wrote: Ok for the past 4 1/2 years my family and I have attended our church. We tithed when we had the extra money which was about 3 times a month. We gave our 10% sometimes more. So not this past weekend but the weekend before that our pastor did an entire sermon in tithing.. even bringing out a wheel barrel for people to throw in extra money so they can receive a huge blessing from God. Now we already tithed before he even brought out the wheel barrel so now he was asking people to give money on top of what they tithed.. not for the church- i mean God but for their blessings from god.. Well in the middle of the sermon he was talking about how he never looks at WHO tithes as far a members go & he is something like 45% of our members aren't tithing every Sunday & THEN he had the nerve to say that the reason he don't look at who does and doesn't tithe is because he is scared he'd come up to those of us that don't tithe on a weekly basis and tell us to leave.. Am i totally wrong to be pi$$ed at our pastor?? We didn't go this past Sunday because I didn't even want to see him.. He told us also that it isn't worth praying when you don't give that 10% or more to god.. because he'll look at you and say " oh now you want my help when you don't put me first.. I don't think so" So now i won't even pray because I feel like I am wasting my time. I'll admit it I cried.. just because he took away something I believed in.. I still believe in God but I am not sure if he answers me or even pays attention to me because we skip a Sunday or two with our tithes. :-5

Awww Sweetie...find another Church to worship our Loving Father in...This man is not his faithful servant. God knows your situation and he knows your heart. I haven't given tithe in years on a reg. basis or attended Church regularly, but God answers my prayers on a daily basis and continues to bless me each and every day. God will give you the desires of your heart and he blesses those who bless others....

It is sad that Preachers take God's word and make it convenient for them to bully their congregation, it gives Christians a bad name imo. The church that I attend now, was my church years and years ago and the pastor that was there at the time was VERY VERY judgemental and critical of his congregation, so that it resulted in him leaving the Church.

AE, my advice to you is to go to your quiet place with God, pour out your heart to him, he's the one you serve, not "MR. Human on the pulpit"

:-4:-4 to ya sista
RedGlitter

Am I wrong?

Post by RedGlitter »

AngelEyes82;678733 wrote: So now i won't even pray because I feel like I am wasting my time. I'll admit it I cried.. just because he took away something I believed in.. I still believe in God but I am not sure if he answers me or even pays attention to me because we skip a Sunday or two with our tithes.

I missed this part I was so mad!

You keep praying to your God because it is not a waste of your time. God does listen to all of us and I am not trying to preach to anyone.

Why don't you write a letter to this pastor and say just what you said here? That he took away something you believed in. Heck, write to whoever is ahead of him and tell them you don't appreciate being treated like this. After all, pastor or not, this is his *job* and if he's not doing it well and is costing the church its congregation....maybe he needs a wakeup call.
mikeinie

Am I wrong?

Post by mikeinie »

‘Whenever there are two or more of you gathered in my name, there is love’

Nowhere in the bible did Jesus put a financial value on prayers, no where did you charge anyone for miracles, or charge entrance fees to here him preach. He threw the money makers from the temples.

Your pastor has lost his reason and his focus on what is important. I would never give him another cent. Religion is not about finances.
YZGI

Am I wrong?

Post by YZGI »

AngelEyes82;678802 wrote: Tithes And Offerings

Target: $110,000.00

Total: $123,977.19

Difference: $+13,977.19

This is from the last week we were there!:-2

When he was begging people for more money.
This is why I don't go any more. When it becomes a money church that is all that is worried about or thought about. If you really want to go to church, find one that believes you should give what makes you feel good . Not give till it hurts.
WonderWendy3

Am I wrong?

Post by WonderWendy3 »

AngelEyes82;678733 wrote: Ok for the past 4 1/2 years my family and I have attended our church. We tithed when we had the extra money which was about 3 times a month. We gave our 10% sometimes more. So not this past weekend but the weekend before that our pastor did an entire sermon in tithing.. even bringing out a wheel barrel for people to throw in extra money so they can receive a huge blessing from God. Now we already tithed before he even brought out the wheel barrel so now he was asking people to give money on top of what they tithed.. not for the church- i mean God but for their blessings from god.. Well in the middle of the sermon he was talking about how he never looks at WHO tithes as far a members go & he is something like 45% of our members aren't tithing every Sunday & THEN he had the nerve to say that the reason he don't look at who does and doesn't tithe is because he is scared he'd come up to those of us that don't tithe on a weekly basis and tell us to leave.. Am i totally wrong to be pi$$ed at our pastor?? We didn't go this past Sunday because I didn't even want to see him.. He told us also that it isn't worth praying when you don't give that 10% or more to god.. because he'll look at you and say " oh now you want my help when you don't put me first.. I don't think so" So now i won't even pray because I feel like I am wasting my time. I'll admit it I cried.. just because he took away something I believed in.. I still believe in God but I am not sure if he answers me or even pays attention to me because we skip a Sunday or two with our tithes. :-5

YZGI;678819 wrote: This is why I don't go any more. When it becomes a money church that is all that is worried about or thought about. If you really want to go to church, find one that believes you should give what makes you feel good . Not give till it hurts.

My favorite church that I attended was a church that met in a School in the middle of the Country, the people there were genuine and the Pastor was a well known Pastor from Richmond, he was used to a church of 2000, and ours was about 500 members within 3-5 years on a reg. basis. Because He was Genuine, the most loving Pastor that I've ever seen in my life in person.

It is sad that A man has hurt your relationship with the Lord, but you can restore it...the reason we worship is because of God, and our relationship to him, not a relationship with a man that demands something of us through God.
Sheryl

Am I wrong?

Post by Sheryl »

AngelEyes82;678800 wrote: Him and his family own the church. It's been open 10 yrs on September 8th.

We've been going since we've moved here back in 2002. So everyone there is our church family.. They feel the same but won't say anything and they said there we're A lot of empty seats this past Sunday. usually about 2,000 + people attend every weekend.

The fact the guy owns the church scares me. For some reason I keep thinking of the branch Davidians. :thinking:

Go and find yourself another church, one that's about the purpose of church, worshipping God, and not the almighty dollar.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
RedGlitter

Am I wrong?

Post by RedGlitter »

AngelEyes82;678801 wrote: Noone is ahead of him.. It's his church that he bought.. He had people build it from the ground up.

Well that tells me who the money's really for then.

I just wouldn't permit this man to get between you and God. You can go anywhere you want to and find God and God doesn't need your money. It really angers me that this has you so upset.

What would happen if all those other people and your family got together and walked out? That would really say something.
Ted

Am I wrong?

Post by Ted »

Another one who has found an easy way to make money in the name of God. Shameful.

There are plenty of other churches out there that would satisfy anyone and they are not out to "make" money.

Shalom

Ted:-6
YZGI

Am I wrong?

Post by YZGI »

Sounds like a televangelist to me.

Send me your money and your prayers will be answered.

Besides AE. In all the years I went to church I have probably learned more on FG and the internet than I ever learned there.
along-for-the-ride

Am I wrong?

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I am remembering the only incident from the New Testament when Jesus became very angry. Wasn't it at the money-changers in the Temple on the Sabbath?
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Ted

Am I wrong?

Post by Ted »

The Christian faith is about loving God, doing justice (distributive) and loving kindness. Yes the organized church needs money as any organization does. However, it is the church, the body of Christ, the people who decide how much is needed and where it is to go. It ought not nor cannot be declared by the officials. Their job is to lead the people in doing what the people decided ought to be done in the name of God and then let you know where the necessary finances stand.

Almost sounds like this "gentleman" is about to sell indulgences. That was a great money maker as well; not right but effective, for awhile.

Shalom

Ted

Am I wrong?

Post by Ted »

Along-for-the-ride:-6

It is easy to judge that issue in the wrong way. The sacrifices that were being sold were not being sold in the sanctuary but outside. This made a pilgrimage easier. Since some folks came from over a hundred miles away they did not have to carry a lamb or goat all that way. They could get one there.

The money changers were doing a legitimate job. They changed the money the people carried for the only coinage acceptable in the temple.

What Jesus was doing through his actions was an attack on the temple authorities who were the collaborators with Rome. It in effect came close to an act of treason. He did not accept their authority nor did many Israelis.

Shalom

along-for-the-ride

Am I wrong?

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Ted;678852 wrote: Along-for-the-ride:-6

It is easy to judge that issue in the wrong way. The sacrifices that were being sold were not being sold in the sanctuary but outside. This made a pilgrimage easier. Since some folks came from over a hundred miles away they did not have to carry a lamb or goat all that way. They could get one there.

The money changers were doing a legitimate job. They changed the money the people carried for the only coinage acceptable in the temple.

What Jesus was doing through his actions was an attack on the temple authorities who were the collaborators with Rome. It in effect came close to an act of treason. He did not accept their authority nor did many Israelis.

Shalom

Thanks Ted, for your responce.:)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
YZGI

Am I wrong?

Post by YZGI »

AngelEyes82;678920 wrote: Yeah it would really say something BUT they would ever in a million years do that.. I have and I honestly have no plans to go back there.For now I guess I can worship God in my house. Afterall I always thought that no matter what he can always here me.. His budget for 1 WEEK is 110,000 (so he says)! Yeah the church is huge, it has a starbucks, a bookstore, free donuts and coffee, a childrens center with an indoor playground.. BUT the thing it lacks and always has is teaching the children about God. When we drop her off in "worship" they hand her a few coloring pages & crayons and she sits at the table. When I pick her up she's playing with dolls, a kitchen or whatever other toys are in the room. We've searched for other churches so many times and we've NEVER found one we liked so we keep going back to Radiant. I am done now.. he's really pi$$ed me off.. He had no right to say anything he said. I did lose my faith & trust in God but slowly it is coming back. Maybe this is what I needed to see that this guy is a phoney.. or whatever. He said on the "enotes" that everyone needed to attend the tithing service because it depended on the future of our church. I can only imagine what an impact the sermon made to newcomers to radiant. They probably lost their faith in church or even God like I did. I've gotten upset here and there for the last week.. I felt guilty about not going to church on Sunday but then again I felt relieved that I had seen our pastor for the person he really is. I guess I just continue my walk with God in my house and in my heart..

thank you for not thinking I am completely nuts.

I don't think you missed church on Sunday. I think you may have missed a self funding drive by the minister though. In fact I am not sure what you describe is a church at all in my opinion. It sounds like a place to go and pay off your sins not worship. I can't believe people give money to places like this or to the televangelists on TV. It just drives me bonkers.
Sheryl

Am I wrong?

Post by Sheryl »

The church had a Starbucks?? :-2
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Lon

Am I wrong?

Post by Lon »

You asked in a post last week about money saving ideas. I think you just found one. Tithe unto thine self.
cars

Am I wrong?

Post by cars »

AngelEyes82;678800 wrote: Him and his family own the church. It's been open 10 yrs on September 8th.

We've been going since we've moved here back in 2002. So everyone there is our church family.. They feel the same but won't say anything and they said there we're A lot of empty seats this past Sunday. usually about 2,000 + people attend every weekend.

Sounds like you & the rest of the congragation needs to tell this greedy money grubber to:

GO TITHE OFF!!!
Cars :)
Mia

Am I wrong?

Post by Mia »

The guy is up himself.There are a few around like him,they think because of their posistion,that they can do and say as they wish.This man does not represent your religion.You can pray anywhere you wish,if he makes you uncomfortable,then just give him a wide berth,I am sure you are not the only one who will.Maybe he will be replaced when they see he is driving people away.

All the best to you.
WonderWendy3

Am I wrong?

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Sheryl;679285 wrote: The church had a Starbucks?? :-2

Yeah, I started a post earlier commenting on the Starbucks...saying how most churches tithe to keep the church standing (electric/water, reaching the community)...thinking that having a bookstore and Starbucks is a little much, but then again....if the people can afford it and thats what they want, so be it....BUT that shouldn't be the focus of why people Gather in God's house....which is what he's claiming it is...right???

To answer your question AE, I don't think you are wrong...I think that God used this sermon and this man to show you and your family that you need to focus on him and YOUR family and the relationship you have with God, not a Man with Greedy paws and a pulpit.
Ted

Am I wrong?

Post by Ted »

AE:-6

I don't believe for one moment you are wrong. His efforts are shameful. You may eventually find a church to your liking. In the meantime do what you have said. I might add try some walks out in nature; a forest or desert or by a beautiful flowing stream.

Shalom

Ted:-6.
YZGI

Am I wrong?

Post by YZGI »

Ah heck AE, just read clint and Teds posts. You will learn alot more and they are a damn site cheaper.:wah:
RedGlitter

Am I wrong?

Post by RedGlitter »

AngelEyes82;678920 wrote:

thank you for not thinking I am completely nuts.

Not nuts at all, Susie.

In my eyes, the earth is God's house. If you enjoy attending church then keep seeking till you find another you like, but I don't think you're missing time with God in the meantime. :)
buttercup

Am I wrong?

Post by buttercup »

Awww i'm also happy to see you back :-4

Does the wife know your posting in religion threads :sneaky::wah:

Return to “Christianity”