Cast your bread amongst the waters...

Discuss the Christian Faith.
weinbeck

Post by weinbeck »

"Cast your bread amongst the waters, that it may be returned to you seven-fold." Or words to that effect. I can't find it in any of the four gospels - it's out there somewhere, but where?:thinking:
weinbeck

Post by weinbeck »

Soberano;575126 wrote: How does that work then?:-3

It means that by putting others before yourself, although seeking no reward, God will manifest your actions accordingly.
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I did a search for you, I didn't recognize the verse. This is what I came up with:

Genesis 4:15

And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.

Genesis 4:14-16 (in Context) Genesis 4 (Whole Chapter)

Genesis 4:24

If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, truly Lamech seventy and sevenfold.

Genesis 4:23-25 (in Context) Genesis 4 (Whole Chapter)

Psalm 79:12

And render unto our neighbours sevenfold into their bosom their reproach, wherewith they have reproached thee, O Lord.

Psalm 79:11-13 (in Context) Psalm 79 (Whole Chapter)

Proverbs 6:31

But if he be found, he shall restore sevenfold; he shall give all the substance of his house.

Proverbs 6:30-32 (in Context) Proverbs 6 (Whole Chapter)

Isaiah 30:26

Moreover the light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun, and the light of the sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days, in the day that the LORD bindeth up the breach of his people, and healeth the stroke of their wound.

Isaiah 30:25-27 (in Context) Isaiah 30 (Whole Chapter)

I would think that Proverbs would be the closest to what you were looking for....
weinbeck

Post by weinbeck »

flopstock;575130 wrote: Wouldn't you actually be seeking a reward if you know in advance that it's going to happen?:confused:

As Christians we accept Our Lord Jesus Christ into our hearts for we know that He died for our sins, and that through this sacrifice we may have eternal life. We don't become Christians to seek eternal life as a "reward" for it is by Grace that we are saved. We become Christians because we love Our Lord Jesus, and try to emulate His ways although that, of course, is impossible. Seeking a reward has nothing to do with it.
Ted

Post by Ted »

I can agree with Weinbeck's comment that "we try to emulate his ways". That word way is an important word. The early Christians were known as the "people of the way". The word "way" means path or road or trail. Jesus did show us the way in both his teachings and his way of life.

When we start to get into the finer details we are entering the realm of theological interpretation to the life and death of Jesus of Nazareth. There are several ways of viewing the nature of what it means to be a Christian just as there are several interpretations to his death. If we get into a discussion of the resurrection then we are crossing the line into theological interpretations of the profound Easter event. In short there are several views as to what it means to be a Christian and how to interpret the life and death of Jesus of Nazareth.

Shalom

Ted:-6
guppy

Post by guppy »

to me that verse means to go out into the world and be a fine upstanding person...give compassion where you can, foregiveness , understanding, and love....give guidance when asked . refrain from giving unasked for advice...and be happy...life is short....go humbly about your way....you will be rewarded with like measure ...it may not come back from the ones you want it from but it will come back to you.....in gods time and in the way he sees fit.....
Ted

Post by Ted »

Weinbeck:-6

"The Interpreter's One Volume Commentary" pg 323 has this to say.

"Ecclesiastes 11: 1-8. Life Must be Lived. Like the one following it (11:9-12), this section has the flavor of the author's own advice. Though interpreters have debated the meaning of some of its figures ( e.g. in vs. 1), the import of this striking poem is clear. Man's limited purview here under the sun, his inability to see enough to find meaning in the totality of life (vs 5) must not paralyze him. He cannot control the forces by which life is shaped (vs 3-4); so let him act vss. 1-2, 6), and enjoy things as they come vs. 8).

Compassion was the heart of Jesus' ministry. He calls all Christians to be compassionate i.e. "love your enemies, do good to those who persecute you etc. This is not some little known teaching it is in fact the central meaning of his message. We are not to worry about heaven. Everything there is in good shape under God's care. We are to look after the earth and its sentient beings in the here and now. It is relatively easy to "repent and be saved". It is damned hard to be compassionate even to those who hate us. Nonetheless that is our call and our duty.

Shalom

Ted
weinbeck

Post by weinbeck »

Ted;576076 wrote: Weinbeck:-6

"The Interpreter's One Volume Commentary" pg 323 has this to say.

"Ecclesiastes 11: 1-8. Life Must be Lived. Like the one following it (11:9-12), this section has the flavor of the author's own advice. Though interpreters have debated the meaning of some of its figures ( e.g. in vs. 1), the import of this striking poem is clear. Man's limited purview here under the sun, his inability to see enough to find meaning in the totality of life (vs 5) must not paralyze him. He cannot control the forces by which life is shaped (vs 3-4); so let him act vss. 1-2, 6), and enjoy things as they come vs. 8).

As I said, I found the passage I was after, so to all of you out there who have tried to help, many thanks.

At the moment I'm not very mobile. Been involved in a car smash (first ever requiring hospital treatment) and now at home recovering from fractured ribs and leg injuries. Wrong time of life for it to happen - nearly 59. Shucks man! Had this been in the States, I could have sued for telephone numbers - over here in the U.K. I'll be luchy if I get enough to buy a couple of pints of beer! Somebody on a Christian Forum told me to praise the Lord that He was watching over me - I wrote back telling him God must have had His eyes diverted at that moment! All jokes aside, I am very, very grateful that it wasn't worse. Painful because I was trapped by my legs, but at least I can walk.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Weinbeck:-6

Sorry to hear about your accident. I do wish you a speedy recovery.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

guppy:-6

Excellent post.

Shalom

weinbeck

Post by weinbeck »

almostfamous;576187 wrote: that was my own interpretation as well :)

so sorry to hear about your accident weinbeck :(

what happened if you don't mind me asking?

Some fool with a 40' trailer decided to come out of a side turning towards me at 5.30am when I was on the way to work. At a 45 degree angle blocking both lanes and with the rear end of his trailer still in the side road, I stood no chance! I was doing about 50mph at the time. With a straight skid slowing me down, I got the impact speed down to about 35mph, but that's still a fair speed to hit something really solid. Belt or no belt, you're gonna get hurt. People put too much faith in safety belts. My whole rib cage twisted, and the front collapsed into my legs. It took them (the fire brigade) forty-five minutes to cut me out. I kept telling them about chest pains, but all the hospital were interested in was giving me a brain scan and checking me over thoroughly for neck injuries. As one doctor told me in no uncertain terms, every other bone will fix, bar one - break your neck, and you're finished. That was when I quietly gave thanks the "somebody up there" had prevented me from losing everything worth living for.
Ted

Post by Ted »

weinbeck:-6

Sorry to hear about that. It sounds like a terrible experience. I once fell 15 feet off my roof and broke two bones that make up part my spine, C2 and C3, in my neck. Luckily I didn't damage my spinal cord. I too felt that "someone" was watching over me. The orthopedic surgeon told be I was microns from death.

Shalom

guppy

Post by guppy »

weinbeck;576094 wrote: As I said, I found the passage I was after, so to all of you out there who have tried to help, many thanks.

At the moment I'm not very mobile. Been involved in a car smash (first ever requiring hospital treatment) and now at home recovering from fractured ribs and leg injuries. Wrong time of life for it to happen - nearly 59. Shucks man! Had this been in the States, I could have sued for telephone numbers - over here in the U.K. I'll be luchy if I get enough to buy a couple of pints of beer! Somebody on a Christian Forum told me to praise the Lord that He was watching over me - I wrote back telling him God must have had His eyes diverted at that moment! All jokes aside, I am very, very grateful that it wasn't worse. Painful because I was trapped by my legs, but at least I can walk.

aaaaahhh. weinbeck..so sorry to hear about your ordeal...am glad you are going to recover..best wishes......:-6
guppy

Post by guppy »

Ted;576169 wrote: guppy:-6

Excellent post.

Shalom

thanks Ted....glad to see you on the boards....hope all is well in your world....:-6 guppy
Ted

Post by Ted »

guppy:-6

Thanks. Yes all is well.

Shalom

Return to “Christianity”