The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Discuss the Christian Faith.
Ted

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Post by Ted »

Having just watched the documentary and found it very interesting I was wondering what others thought.
Bryn Mawr

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ted;570425 wrote: Having just watched the documentary and found it very interesting I was wondering what others thought.

Would have loved to have watched but dudn't have access
Patsy Warnick

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I think its BS

Patsy
spot

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Post by spot »

Patsy Warnick;570489 wrote: I think its BS

Patsy
Which bits of what you saw qualified as BS, Patsy?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Patsy Warnick

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I don't think it will change the Holy Scriptures.

I don't believe what was shown - I don't know why movie producer Carmeron is digging around. If gives question - no facts. As far as I'm concern they turned over a rock. Nothings changed

Patsy
spot

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Post by spot »

You seriously can't produce a single quotable portion of the program to criticize constructively, as opposed to defending an established belief?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Post by spot »

Pinky;570523 wrote: Maybe I'll try and download it instead, then I can join in!The easiest way I know at the moment is:

Install http://download.utorrent.com/1.6.1/uTor ... nstall.exe

Click on http://search.utorrent.com/search.php?q ... rch%3d&u=1 and open the line with the most seeds with utorrent (if it doesn't automatically)

It might take a couple of hours to download. It might slow your computer down, I tend to leave it running overnight instead of while I'm sat here.
K.Snyder

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;570533 wrote: The easiest way I know at the moment is:

Install http://download.utorrent.com/1.6.1/uTor ... nstall.exe

Click on http://search.utorrent.com/search.php?q ... rch%3d&u=1 and open the line with the most seeds with utorrent (if it doesn't automatically)

It might take a couple of hours to download. It might slow your computer down, I tend to leave it running overnight instead of while I'm sat here.

I tried doing that and it had taken me to this page.

http://shell.windows.com/fileassoc/0409 ... XT=torrent
spot

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;570709 wrote: I tried doing that and it had taken me to this page.

http://shell.windows.com/fileassoc/0409 ... XT=torrent

Then just type "lost tomb jesus" into the utorrent search bar to get the same hits. What's the "it" in "it had taken me to this page" anyway?

I just finished watching the documentary, Ted. Here are my notes:

The point about the dual standard of identification acceptability between joseph son of Ciaphas and the Jesus family was well made.

The reference to "Mariamne" returning to Jerusalem, in the 4th century Gospel of Philip, is undeniable. At this stage I was hoping they'd discuss the possibility that the inscriptions were recent forged additions to the ossuaries. Authentic inscriptions in the program certainly have a similar appearance, and the James ossuary has been subject to detailed examination for several years in that regard.

The repetition of the chevron over circle logo from the 1980 tomb on the Dominus Flevit ossuaries was an impressive find.

The record of the missing 1980 ossuary dimensions matching those of the c.1980 James ossuary is a reasonable starting fit, and randomizing the patina analyses was a good move to firm it up.

I don't think they over-egged any of what they had.

From a Christian perspective, I'd find my faith unaffected by this or any other evidence they add to their initial consideration, not weakened. I don't care either way whether Paul and the Gospel writers invented Jesus from scratch or not but I've often assumed they might easily have. The program lessened that remote possibility for me, I'm left with them merely inventing lots of stories around a genuine historical figure.
K.Snyder

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;570740 wrote: Then just type "lost tomb jesus" into the utorrent search bar to get the same hits. What's the "it" in "it had taken me to this page" anyway?

The link.

The link after I had already installed the software, and the link you had recommended.

The file extensions are not supported by Windows.
Sheryl

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Post by Sheryl »

I found the show interesting. I was really intrigued by the mitochrondrial D.N.A. part. I wish they had done the tests on all the ossiaries that were labeled in the tomb. I was disappointed that the IAA made them get out the tomb. :(
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
spot

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;570809 wrote: The file extensions are not supported by Windows.Not, I will concede, by any version prior to Windows 98 Second Edition, but certainly by everything since. Or do you think someone accidentally made a release of utorrent that doesn't conform to XP requirements and it just works on other people's machines by coincidence?

If you get totally stuck, go into Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options / Fie Types and set the .torrent extension by hand.
spot

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Post by spot »

Patsy Warnick;570498 wrote: I don't believe what was shownI'm still trying to come to terms with the implications of this statement, Patsy. Are you suggesting that the documentary was entirely fictional? That the cave didn't exist? That the ossuaries in the Israeli Archeological storage unit weren't from the first century, or hadn't originated in the cave being discussed? That their inscriptions were recent additions? That the translations from Aramaic and Greek were concocted? What exact part did you not "believe"? How does belief come into it at all?
Patsy Warnick

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I had no interest to finish watching the program - I didn't realize IAA requested them to leave. Thank God.

I couldn't believe this was allowed - I don't feel we have the right to open Tombs - crypts - Vaults - Burial grounds.

I don't know what they hope to accomplish - re- write the bible ?

What right does a movie producer have to go dig through sacred ground? I don't see this as a interesting documentary, I see this as intrusion .

Its no different than my sister wanting to dig up Great Grandma for the Pearl Earrings she was suppose to inherit.

Allowing the intrusion opens up a avoidable can of worms.

Patsy
spot

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Post by spot »

Patsy Warnick;571283 wrote: I had no interest to finish watching the program - I didn't realize IAA requested them to leave. Thank God.

I couldn't believe this was allowed - I don't feel we have the right to open Tombs - crypts - Vaults - Burial grounds.

I don't know what they hope to accomplish - re- write the bible ?

What right does a movie producer have to go dig through sacred ground? I don't see this as a interesting documentary, I see this as intrusion .

Its no different than my sister wanting to dig up Great Grandma for the Pearl Earrings she was suppose to inherit.

Allowing the intrusion opens up a avoidable can of worms.

Patsy

What you'd have discovered by watching it is that the Israelis themselves emptied the tomb in 1980 when they built a block of apartments on the site, something they've done with a thousand other tombs across Jerusalem in the last fifty years. The program makers didn't open any occupied tomb at all. For five minutes, irrelevantly to the story but just for completeness, they went into the place from which the Israelis took the ossuaries 36 years ago, that's scarcely tomb-robbing now, is it.

Where's the "digging through sacred ground"?
Ted

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Post by Ted »

spot:-6

Generally I am with you on this one. As far as my faith goes it is actually strengthened by this set of events. I await more scholarly peer reviews but if it is correct it lays to rest once and for all the questions raised about the very existence of Jesus. Most certainly the evidence has a good degree of credibility about it, at least on first glance.

It also lends support to the beliefs of the contemporary theologians. We no so little of the history of Jesus. The gospels give us some historical facts by not many. The remainder is the developing traditions of the early church.

All of that being said, for me, it enhances the profoundness of this man, Jesus of Nazareth. It is a profoundness that goes beyond history and beyond metaphor. What we have in the gospels and after the death of Jesus is not history but the theology read and interpreted in that history.

The only folks, that I can see, that would be the least bit upset with this are the literalists. For those of us in the emerging paradigm it really is good news.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Ted

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Post by Ted »

For those who have been unable to see the documentary so far I really am sorry. It is well worth watching as long as one has an open mind right from the beginning. Why should we be afraid of the truth. That is what we seek is it not?

Shalom

Ted

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Post by Ted »

Diuretic:-6

Thanks. It makes far more sense to me and, I think, looks at the reality of the world around us.

Shalom

Return to “Christianity”