The rapture

Discuss the Christian Faith.
Accountable

The rapture

Post by Accountable »

Atsila wrote: You are released from the law of Moses, or sacrificial law. We are no longer under that system. Christ fulfilled it.

However, the Ten Commandments are valid. They are designed to point out sin and they do so effectively. Grace gives us another chance when we break that law, which is what grace is designed to do.
But you didn't cite the Ten Commandments with this statement.

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showp ... tcount=107

You use this law as a weapon, then you say it's not valid. Care to explain?
Nevim

The rapture

Post by Nevim »

Accountable wrote: I'm glad Christ released us from the impossible-to-follow laws of the OT.
I fail to see the impossiblity of following the Torah where do you. Futhermore Yeshua did no such thing.
Nevim

The rapture

Post by Nevim »

weber wrote: The commandments are in the book of course. And do I need to be reminded of that. I don't think so. Gracious, I even know what the commandments are. Ah, and I even follow them as well as any frail human.

But all of God and His knowledge cannot possibly be contained in that small book. I merely suggest that there is more to do, to be learned than the bible alone. I have been quoted to from the bible to the point where I no longer even do more than glance at them. I love to communicate rather than continually quote. I find people who speak from their minds incredibly interesting.

Yep license to do whatever eh.
Nevim

The rapture

Post by Nevim »

Accountable wrote: But you didn't cite the Ten Commandments with this statement.

The word of God is a two edged sword ---I guess that could be called a weapon...against the agents of darkness.
weber

The rapture

Post by weber »

Nevim wrote: The word of God is a two edged sword ---I guess that could be called a weapon...against the agents of darkness.

A two-edged sword cuts in both directions so what is the two-edged sword all about. Seems to me that in comes after Jesus saying that He did not come to bring peace but to whatever, something like severing families etc. Sounds rather ghastly.
miriam:yh_flower

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.

.................Charles Mingus

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/enter.cfm?
Nevim

The rapture

Post by Nevim »

weber wrote: A two-edged sword cuts in both directions so what is the two-edged sword all about. Seems to me that in comes after Jesus saying that He did not come to bring peace but to whatever, something like severing families etc. Sounds rather ghastly.

Hey nobody can make another person, family member saved.
weber

The rapture

Post by weber »

Nevim wrote: Hey nobody can make another person, family member saved.

Do you know Nevim

that being saved has never really been an issue in my life. When I first discovered forums a couple years ago, it took me some time to figure out what it was all about> It never occurred to me that some people didn't believe in Jesus and the bible and everything, Jesus died on the cross and saved us all. It never occurred to me that I was going anywhere except Heaven. Small town, not a lot of exposure.

So anyway, what has not being able to save another person, family member, got to do with the double-edged sword?

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.

Accountable

The rapture

Post by Accountable »

SorryAsila, I confused you with Nevim. Easily done in this thread.

I never understood hostile Christians. Oxymoron, imo.

Bye.
Ted

The rapture

Post by Ted »

Personally I like what Martin Luther had to say. He would worry about the here and now and do his job and let God worry about later on as that was his business. And if I remember correctly he was one of the leaders of the reformation. Of course he was also reputed to have been highly anti-semitic.

Good grief all these people trying to save everyone else and with some 22 000 Christian denominations in the world with so many different interpretations all that saving could take longer than one lifetime. Luther was correct about leaving it up to God.

Shalom

Ted:-6
weber

The rapture

Post by weber »

Accountable wrote: SorryAsila, I confused you with Nevim. Easily done in this thread.

Bye.

On the other hand, I love lovable Christians and you seem to be one of those Accountable.

Do you know what the double-edged sword has to do with not being able to save another person, family member?:-3

Nevim

The rapture

Post by Nevim »

weber wrote: On the other hand, I love lovable Christians and you seem to be one of those Accountable.

Do you know what the double-edged sword has to do with not being able to save another person, family member?:-3

Question for ya Weber...do you know the difference between "nice" and "kind" and do you know what loving your brother/sister means ?
weber

The rapture

Post by weber »

Nevim wrote: Question for ya Weber...do you know the difference between "nice" and "kind" and do you know what loving your brother/sister means ?

Yessir......do you? If my memory serves me correctly, all I said was that I love lovable Christians. So although I answer your question, I don't really understand your asking it.:-3

Nevim

The rapture

Post by Nevim »

weber wrote: Yessir......do you? If my memory serves me correctly, all I said was that I love lovable Christians. So although I answer your question, I don't really understand your asking it.:-3

Well ? What's the difference ? If I feed the hungray, clothed the naked, visit those in prison and then post scripture and people are offended over how is that not being lovable ?
weber

The rapture

Post by weber »

:yh_doh :-2 :-3 :rolleyes:

Accountable

The rapture

Post by Accountable »

Nevim wrote: Well ? What's the difference ? If I feed the hungray, clothed the naked, visit those in prison and then post scripture and people are offended over how is that not being lovable ?
Ian? :-2
Accountable

The rapture

Post by Accountable »

weber wrote: On the other hand, I love lovable Christians and you seem to be one of those Accountable.Thanks, dear. Though there are quite a few here that would likely disagree with you. :wah: The churches I've gone to have all aught the importance of bringing others to Christ (which I've always felt unworthy to do, so I just try to live a life I can be proud of). I've never seen anyone convince another person of any meaningful positive change by berating them. I believe the whole purpose of approaches like this is so that he can feel superior. He can feel superior, I don't mind. Let 'im feel superior alone.

weber wrote: Do you know what the double-edged sword has to do with not being able to save another person, family member?:-3Not a clue. Sorry.
Atsila

The rapture

Post by Atsila »

Accountable wrote: But you didn't cite the Ten Commandments with this statement.

The link takes me to someone else's post. There are two categories of law in scripture. One is the Ten Commandment law, which is in effect to this day.

The other one is called the law of ordinances, was temporary. This law is no longer effective, because those sacrifices pointed to Christ as the ultimate sacrifice, which HE accomplished on the cross.

The Ten Commandment law, also called the moral law, is the one that points out our sins. That one has to stick around for as long as there are sinners.

Hope that makes it clearer for you. I really do.

1 John 3:4

Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW = Ten Commandment Law.

Blotted "out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us". Colossians 2:14
Atsila

The rapture

Post by Atsila »

Accountable wrote: SorryAsila, I confused you with Nevim. Easily done in this thread.

Bye.
I don't understand them either. Perhaps you confuse hostility with frustration. It is frustrating when you see a plain example become unrecognizable for what is read into it rather than out of it. The latter is done most of the time to support favorite/established beliefs of isms. :-5

No harm done.
weber

The rapture

Post by weber »

Accountable wrote: Ian? :-2

Thank you Accountable:-6

Atsila

The rapture

Post by Atsila »

Ted wrote: Personally I like what Martin Luther had to say. He would worry about the here and now and do his job and let God worry about later on as that was his business. And if I remember correctly he was one of the leaders of the reformation. Of course he was also reputed to have been highly anti-semitic.

Good grief all these people trying to save everyone else and with some 22 000 Christian denominations in the world with so many different interpretations all that saving could take longer than one lifetime. Luther was correct about leaving it up to God.

Shalom

I want to briefly address the myth of the number of Christian denominations, which are more often listed at 30,000 and 33,000, depending on the agenda of the poster.

That there is also an agenda behind such claims, is moot to say. :yh_angry

http://www.justforcatholics.org/a86.htm

In an article entitled "30,000 Protestant Denominations?", Evangelical apologist Eric Svendsen exposes the falsehood of this fabrication. Briefly:

Svendsen shows that the source of this figure is the World Christian Encyclopedia (David A. Barrett; Oxford University Press, 1982).

Barrett cites a figure of 20,780 denominations. However not all of them are Protestants. According to Barrett, Protestants account for 8,196 (and incidentally, Roman Catholics account for 223).

However, even this figure of eight thousand Protestant denominations is misleading, for Barrett defines "distinct denominations" as any group that might have a slightly different emphasis than another group. The distinction is made on the basis of jurisdiction, rather than differing beliefs and practices.

Barrett breaks down the Protestant bloc into twenty-one major "traditions" which are much closer to what we usually mean by the word "denominations." It is interesting that Roman Catholics are subdivided into sixteen such "traditions."

Svendsen concludes, "In short, Roman Catholic apologists have hurriedly, carelessly - and, as a result, irresponsibly - glanced at Barrett's work, found a large number (22,189), and arrived at all sorts of absurdities that Barrett never concluded."
Nevim

The rapture

Post by Nevim »

Accountable wrote: Ian? :-2

Nope not Ian whoever that is !
Ted

The rapture

Post by Ted »

I'll stick by the 22 000. That figure makes much more sense than wishful thinking.

Not all are "protestants".

Shalom

skeeter2

The rapture

Post by skeeter2 »

:-3 cindy28;397352 wrote: She believes that all the believers, peple that are saved, will be brought up to heaven . away from this "evil" world.

I am with your mother...however, you have to be a believer and believe the Bible before it would make any difference to you NOW...but when the rapture occurs it will matter a very great deal...nothing to fear if you are a true believer...if you aren't, it is time to get your priorities straight...it isn't something that plain people predict, it is in the Bible and also it says no one will know the time...if they did, can you imagine what the evil would produce in peoples minds?...unthinkable...I am pleased that your Mother thinks and loves you enough to warn you now while there is time...
Ted

The rapture

Post by Ted »

Was that "rapture" or rupture?

Shalom

Ted

The rapture

Post by Ted »

Magenta:-6

I really don't have the answer to that particular question. I do understand that some brain cells die every day. It's a good thing we have trillions.

Shalom

Accountable

The rapture

Post by Accountable »

skeeter2;501589 wrote: :-3

I am with your mother...however, you have to be a believer and believe the Bible before it would make any difference to you NOW...but when the rapture occurs it will matter a very great deal...nothing to fear if you are a true believer...if you aren't, it is time to get your priorities straight...it isn't something that plain people predict, it is in the Bible and also it says no one will know the time...if they did, can you imagine what the evil would produce in peoples minds?...unthinkable...I am pleased that your Mother thinks and loves you enough to warn you now while there is time...
Good to see you again, Skeeter. :-6
Ted

The rapture

Post by Ted »

Magenta flame:-6

Gabriola Island is off the west coast of British Columbia, Canada, between the mainland and Vancouver Island. We are about 17 miles across the water from Vancouver.

Shalom

Ted

The rapture

Post by Ted »

I may have said this before but the "rapture" is not biblical. The theory is purely of human construction.

It is a very human attempt to explain the metaphors used to describe some day when Jesus will return. He did tell us not to worry about it and not to try and guess about the time.

Of course La Haye and his buddy did create that horrible series "Left Behind". What a load of garbage.

Shalom

acousticide

The rapture

Post by acousticide »

The term 'rapture' is man made, but the idea comes from the scriptures.

If the Church is full of Spirit filled believers, then the Antichrist cannot do his thing.

Once all of the spirit filled christians are gone, he will have no one to come against him. It is mentioned several times in both the Old and New Testaments.
Ted

The rapture

Post by Ted »

accousticide:-6

Yes, the idea does come from the scriptures. However, in that they are to a large extent midrashic or metaphorical the references should not be read literally.

John of Patmos, whomever he was was writing a letter to the churches about the conditions of his day and not about some day in the near or distant future. It is in general a very strong criticism of the Roman Empire.

Shalom

Return to “Christianity”