Insurance Companies Suck!

Big Business, Small Business, Investments, and Personal Finances
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Due to the global recession, our family business has been struggling a bit these past three years or so. I am usually able to take an overseas trip at the end of each year, but have been unable to do so for the past three years simply because I have had to leave the money I would have spent on these holidays in the business to keep it afloat.

So during the past six months or so I have been looking at ways to decrease my expenses ... personal and company. I thought I would start with my personal insurance and have a look at that.

Now I have an Insurance Broker who is also a good friend. Anyway, I approached an insurance company who had been advertising that they would beat any quote or they would pay you 400 bucks yadayadyada. I gave them the details of the contents of my home etc and asked for a quote for what I would have to pay monthly. They came back with a quote that was 1000 bucks a month less for the same cover. (I have NOT had a claim in the last five years.)

So I meet with my broker/friend and he goes: "No well get all the fine print from them cos they have a bad reputation etc etc etc." And I go: "Look, if you can meet their premium I'll stay with you, if not I will go for them."

So he comes back to me with a monthly premium that is 600 bucks less than they were charging me. And I go ... "How come they were charging me 1600 a month & now suddenly they can reduce it by 600?"

He goes: "Well, its like they want to give this other crowd a shot in the eye and so they have reduced their admin fee and I have reduced my fee too ... yadayada."

So in the interim I contact another two insurance companies and both give me a monthly quote that is also 1000 less than my original company were charging me.

Now I ask: why would my broker/friend and the insurance company I have been with so long without a claim rip me off in this way??
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Lon

Post by Lon »

jones jones;1411641 wrote: Due to the global recession, our family business has been struggling a bit these past three years or so. I am usually able to take an overseas trip at the end of each year, but have been unable to do so for the past three years simply because I have had to leave the money I would have spent on these holidays in the business to keep it afloat.

So during the past six months or so I have been looking at ways to decrease my expenses ... personal and company. I thought I would start with my personal insurance and have a look at that.

Now I have an Insurance Broker who is also a good friend. Anyway, I approached an insurance company who had been advertising that they would beat any quote or they would pay you 400 bucks yadayadyada. I gave them the details of the contents of my home etc and asked for a quote for what I would have to pay monthly. They came back with a quote that was 1000 bucks a month less for the same cover. (I have NOT had a claim in the last five years.)

So I meet with my broker/friend and he goes: "No well get all the fine print from them cos they have a bad reputation etc etc etc." And I go: "Look, if you can meet their premium I'll stay with you, if not I will go for them."

So he comes back to me with a monthly premium that is 600 bucks less than they were charging me. And I go ... "How come they were charging me 1600 a month & now suddenly they can reduce it by 600?"

He goes: "Well, its like they want to give this other crowd a shot in the eye and so they have reduced their admin fee and I have reduced my fee too ... yadayada."

So in the interim I contact another two insurance companies and both give me a monthly quote that is also 1000 less than my original company were charging me.

Now I ask: why would my broker/friend and the insurance company I have been with so long without a claim rip me off in this way??

First if he was a good Broker/Friend he would have read and explained the differences to you in the competing contracts. Don't fault the Insurance company, your friend/broker is blowing smoke up your a--.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

I agree with Lon.

Never mix friends with personal or business matters specially where money is involved. You always find out your "friend" is more of a fiend.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Insurance is one of those businesses where Customer loyalty seldom really means much. You can usually do better shopping around every few years.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Wall Street to Main Street”