Hi - new to site - dig camera advice pls??

Traditional or digital! Share your photos. Do you view the world a little differently through a lens? Let's discuss photos that you find interesting or worthy of discussion.
dove45

Post by dove45 »

Hi there - just found the site hope to make lots of new friends and get some advice too. Pls can anyone advise on digi cameras - just about to get one but dont know which??? Must be easy to use - about 3 -4 megpix? Help pls.
CountryDweller

Post by CountryDweller »

Hi Dove45!

Not a professional about camera's but a friend of mine helped me choose mine. He said it depends on what you want to use it for, is how to buy one. MP aren't as important as the optical zoom feature. I surfed the net, found a few that I liked and ran them by my friend. I ended up buying a Sony Cybershot 5.1 MP with a 12X optical zoom. Has a 2 and 1/2" LCD window and steady shot feature. I just lay this little baby in my hand, center what I'm taking a photo of and snap the shot. Comes with all the software for the computer to download pictures, etc. Great camera! I use mine when I hike for wildlife shots.

Hope this helps you some.
cr1

Post by cr1 »

And also check out Digital Photography Review. http://www.dpreview.com/
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I've found that my 5MP is way more than I need. I usually end up shrinking the pic.

Digital zoom is less important than optical zoom. You can digital zoom with your computer software. Optical zoom is the zoom feature you're used to on the film camera.

Make sure the connection to the computer is easy!! Some require a special cradle, which means you have to bring it with you on vacation (along with the installation software) if you want to share new pics with Gramma or cousin Frank. Look for one with a USP connection or something easy like that.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, except WELCOME! :-6
minks

Post by minks »

Accountable wrote: I've found that my 5MP is way more than I need. I usually end up shrinking the pic.

Digital zoom is less important than optical zoom. You can digital zoom with your computer software. Optical zoom is the zoom feature you're used to on the film camera.

Make sure the connection to the computer is easy!! Some require a special cradle, which means you have to bring it with you on vacation (along with the installation software) if you want to share new pics with Gramma or cousin Frank. Look for one with a USP connection or something easy like that.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, except WELCOME! :-6

All grand advise from ACC yes higher MP is not worth it unless your into large format graphics so you can look at $100 per megapixle is you keep them low your cost is low. 3 is good. Also watch size of camera, I have the lovely little Cannon Elph which I adore but I have very little hands and a man would hate that cam. Check out all hinges on all the "doors" where your battery goes, mem card goes, adapters plug in. Some cam's have a lousy hinge system and over time these will break. Also make sure your cam comes with a connetor for your computer, the less times you have to take your mem card in and out the better. As well look for deals that may offer a second battery for a reduced rate, or even a second memory card. The cam may come with a mem card, but I bet it won't hold much so look into a larger one, cause if you are serious about taking loads of pics get a big mem card. Ok I could go on but may have overloaded you. I will list off some of the products I knwo are good, I am a cannon supporter, but HP is good too. Kodak is over priced as far as I am concerned. Good luck and if you want more info feel free to ask us.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

As for mem cards, check the sales at Office Max/Depot (I can't tell the difference). The usually offer a free high-capacity card with their cameras.
actionfigurestepho

Post by actionfigurestepho »

Hey there, nice to meet you!

As far as my camera advice goes, make sure you get something with a good battery life (ask the salesperson about that one.) I have access to a wonderful Nikon digital but I hate to use it because the battery life is terrible. Some cameras use their own special battery---that means you have to buy an extra and keep it with you. Ugh. Try not to get one of those. If you get something that takes AA or AAA you can at least switch them easily without having to wait for something to charge or spending a lot for a special camera battery.
minks

Post by minks »

Also If you are like me and find yourself visually challenged, go for a cam with the largest possible view screen on the back. LCD I think it is called. Also ask if that screen is anti scratch if they say no, get that clear sticky stuff to put over it immediately to protect it. Cause those little screens scratch up pretty easily. Another thing look for fast processing time. This enables you to fire up your camera and take a picture quickly, and allows you to take quicker pictures one after another, this was a HUGE selling feature for me. I had an old HP the processing time was hideously slow, this ELPH is amazing. Also note with AA and AAA batteries you will have a larger camera size. And the other thing if someone is a bit rough with their camera a stainless case may be better than an aluminium one.

― Mae West
SweetDarlin

Post by SweetDarlin »

tmbsgrl wrote: I have a Kodak Easyshare digital camera Cx7300 3.2 mega pixels. It works great! I love it! I have that one too.. and now they aren't even half as expensive as when I got it. It does everything I need. You can go to Walmart or Target and they have the batteries, charger and memory card right there.
[FONT=Georgia]

[/FONT]
minks

Post by minks »

SuiteDarlin wrote: I have that one too.. and now they aren't even half as expensive as when I got it. It does everything I need. You can go to Walmart or Target and they have the batteries, charger and memory card right there.

Oh perhaps a Canadian thing, but Kodaks are very over priced here.

― Mae West
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Welcme to the Friendship place in Forum Garden
Vaishali

Post by Vaishali »

Hello friend.. When you talk about cameras, I trust at just one brand that's Nikon. Nikon is one of the best brand of cameras. The reasons are obvious, the amazing picture quality and it's light weight. You have not specified your budget so I am suggesting you a mid budget camera that's Nikon CoolPix S2600. It's a 14MP camera with 5x optical zoom and 4x digital zoom. It comes with a 2.7" LCD display. According to, it's picture quality is far better than all other competitors. It also comes with 1/2.3 inch sensor. The battery type is EN-EL Li-ion Rechargeable battery. Other features that this camera provides are self timer, red eye reduction, macro mode etc. It will cost you approx Rs.5000. I think it's perfect for you. For more information and special offers, you should buy it from online store. It will save your time too.

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Wow, an eight-year-old thread revived.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Return to “Photography More”