Creepy Abandoned Churches

Traditional or digital! Share your photos. Do you view the world a little differently through a lens? Let's discuss photos that you find interesting or worthy of discussion.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I figure Tabby would have found these sooner or later, but I kind of tripped over them first. Really cool pics of abandoned churches.

Creepy Abandoned Churches (PHOTOS) - weather.com
tabby

Post by tabby »

It does look like something I'd post! The churches are still beautiful in a decayed long past their glory kind of way. If they are ever razed, I hope someone takes the time to remove the stained glass windows and beautiful carvings. I'm sure there's a market for them and they're too lovely to end up in a landfill!
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

It begs the question why the art - windows & such - hasn't been salvaged already.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

This Is where my Sister Is buried.

Sompting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wouldn't ever want to go there alone. Nothing but fields for miles around It and damn creepy. Have to put wire around her grave to stop rabbits eating the flowers we leave.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Accountable;1425843 wrote: It begs the question why the art - windows & such - hasn't been salvaged already.

The Apse in that second church was fantastic
Týr

Post by Týr »

Would converting them for domestic use be acceptable?
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
Oscar Namechange

Týr;1425905 wrote: Would converting them for domestic use be acceptable? It's a fast growing trend. I've seen some full restorations Into domestic use on restoration shows on TV.

The Ultimate in Upcycling: Homes in Converted Churches | Apartment Therapy
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Týr

Post by Týr »

I'm aware that it's done, I was asking whether people here thought it acceptable. Religious belief comes into an attitude like that when consecrated ground's involved. Some people disapprove of deconsecration. I was looking at a Methodist church with attached Sunday School last week and wondering what it could end up as, how the windows would work with partitioning, that sort of thing.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

A little ambiance:

Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Oscar Namechange

Týr;1425924 wrote: I'm aware that it's done, I was asking whether people here thought it acceptable. Religious belief comes into an attitude like that when consecrated ground's involved. Some people disapprove of deconsecration. I was looking at a Methodist church with attached Sunday School last week and wondering what it could end up as, how the windows would work with partitioning, that sort of thing. I can't see anything wrong with It. We all know how difficult It Is as It Is to even raise money for repairs for churches In use. Churches tend to be Grad 1 listed so any domestic conversions have to be In keeping. If anything It's a wonderful way of preserving them rather than see them fall In disrepair and disappear due to the elements or vandalism.

Return to “Photography More”