Awesome Images

Traditional or digital! Share your photos. Do you view the world a little differently through a lens? Let's discuss photos that you find interesting or worthy of discussion.
Snooz

Awesome Images

Post by Snooz »

Yeah, I think I'm gonna pass. This kind of thing doesn't really appeal to me: Cousin of My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding star Paddy Doherty jailed for biting off part of his ear in fight - National News - News - Birmingham Mail
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

SnoozeAgain;1382740 wrote: Yeah, I think I'm gonna pass. This kind of thing doesn't really appeal to me: Cousin of My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding star Paddy Doherty jailed for biting off part of his ear in fight - National News - News - Birmingham Mail

If you gonna pass... then pass. No need to add anything.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
gmc

Awesome Images

Post by gmc »

jones jones;1382696 wrote: Been watching a BBC television series called "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding." It got me thinking about how we sort of judge people on first impressions & how wrong this can usually be.

These Gypsies or Travellers, (God how I hate that word), as it is now politically correct to refer to them as, at first glance seemed to be rather "low class" and I am now so ashamed of myself for thinking this.

Okay, I have never ever come in contact with Romany Gypsies and in fact I have never seen or spoken with one "in the flesh" so to speak. Many of the men featured in the series refused to have their faces shown as they believed that this would adversely affect their business.

The women all think that of they don't find a husband before they are about twenty two or so, they will be left on the shelf. So they marry young. At the weddings the dresses were pink, the cakes were pink, the women all seemed to be popping out the dresses and the guys were tattooed and macho and I found myself thinking "I wouldn't like to get into a fight with any of them."

Later when I began thinking about what I had seen, I started to actually respect them ... the men work and their wives stay at home (nowadays in a caravan pulled by an auto) and they keep house. The women like said: “We stay home and cook for our men and we clean.”

So I started thinking that maybe we, and I am as guilty as anyone, should actually get to know other earthlings before we become judgemental of them. And if we can’t “walk a mile in their shoes”, then maybe we should spent a day chatting to them … maybe like this!

(See Image In First Reply)

You need to distinguish between romany gypsies and travellers/tinkers . The irish travellers as with the scots and english ones are the descendants of the dispossessed, forced off their land and unable to find work in the cities or not prepared to accept it they made their living as itinerant labourers following the harvests. The prejudice is based on ethnicity and religion from a mainly protestant UK population and goes back centuries, it was a useful prejudice when the catholic/protestant wars were at their height but it's never really gone away. You also see the same type of hostility and prejudice aimed at people from council housing schemes where the urban poor tended to end up the likes of the daily mail talk about them as if they are sub human inhabitants of benefit world.

Romany gypsies are a different ethnic group from eastern europe with concentrations in the balkans, If that all sounds a bit excessive try talking to a romany about it.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

"There is a certain unique and strange delight about walking down an empty street alone. There is an off-focus light cast by the moon, and the streetlights are part of the spotlight apparatus on a bare stage set up for you to walk through. You get a feeling of being listened to, so you talk aloud, softly, to see how it sounds."

— Sylvia Plath, The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath

(See Image in First Reply.)
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

"Dear friend now in the dusty clockless hours of the town when the streets lie black and steaming in the wake of the watertrucks and now when the drunk and the homeless have washed up in the lee of walls in alleys or abandoned lots and cats go forth highshouldered and lean in the grim perimeters about, now in these sootblacked brick or cobbled corridors where lightwire shadows make a gothic harp of cellar doors no soul shall walk save you."

Cormac McCarthy, Suttree.

(See Image in First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Francesco Ferruccio Leiss

Night photography of a Venetian street, 1950

[From the Réunion des Musées Nationaux]
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

No doubting that's him!

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Oscar Namechange

Awesome Images

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I'm more Interested In those buildings behind him.... I just adore American Colonial buildings !!
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

French bronze self-portrait inkwell of Sarah Bernhardt as a Sphinx, cast by Thiebaut Frères (from a model by Bernhardt), Paris, 1880 (Museum of Fine Arts, Boston)

The pen rests in her hair and and the ink is held in a bowl at her feet, under a pile of books, with the masks of Tragedy and Comedy on either side.

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

In Victorian mill and factory towns the day shift started at six in the morning or earlier, and, before alarm clocks were readily available, workers were roused out of bed in the wee hours by the knocker-upper, a man or woman with a very long (15 ft or so) light bamboo stick with a knob or a small piece of wire attached at the end for lightly tapping on an upstairs bedroom window or the brickwork just outside (sometimes you can still see damage to the bricks on old cottages around the windows where the workers slept).

Although this method was most common, a bang on the door with truncheon or short heavy stick would also do the trick, and Mrs. Mary Smith of Limehouse Fields was known to shoot dried peas at the windows of the market workers. The knocker-upper, or knocker-up, would hang about until their client showed their sleepy face at the window, and then move on to the next house on their route.

Knocker-uppers started their day as early as 3 or 4 a.m., bundled up against the cold, with a lantern to light the way in the dark hours before daybreak. Police officers could earn an extra shilling or two knocking-up during their early morning patrols but they were most often elderly folks in need of “a few coppers”

Mrs. Pashley of Leeds began knocking-up when she was 70. Caroline “Granny” Cousins, in her black dress and white apron and bonnet, became a knocker-upper in Poole, Dorset in her 60s, earning 3 pennies a week from around the turn of the century to just after WWI.

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Oscar Namechange

Awesome Images

Interesting.

How do you Interpret the work JJ ?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Awesome Images

I've read this before but a great piece on British history.

Of course there Is a modern day equivalent ... Taxi drivers....
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

oscar;1383306 wrote: Interesting.

How do you Interpret the work JJ ?

Hi oscar ... if you read up about the life and work of Sarah Bernhardt, you'll find that she was even much more eccentric (polite word for nuts!) than I am. For starters she used to sleep in a velvet lined coffin and kept a menagerie (of animals AND humans!)

I believe that the inkwell which is rather bizarre, what with the wings and all, is sort of in keeping with her image and could not have been produced without Ms Bernhardt's say so.

Personally I love it!
Oscar Namechange

Awesome Images

jones jones;1383312 wrote: Hi oscar ... if you read up about the life and work of Sarah Bernhardt, you'll find that she was even much more eccentric (polite word for nuts!) than I am. For starters she used to sleep in a velvet lined coffin and kept a menagerie (of animals AND humans!)

I believe that the inkwell which is rather bizarre, what with the wings and all, is sort of in keeping with her image and could not have been produced without Ms Bernhardt's say so.

Personally I love it! I have read a little of her In the past and I agree, It suits her personality. I am always Interested when artistes Include objects such as the Inkwell because It makes us think as to what It symbolises for them In their lives.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Wonder if it's still standing? I sure hope so!

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

AnneBoleyn

Awesome Images

Post by AnneBoleyn »

very art deco isn't it.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

AnneBoleyn;1383334 wrote: very art deco isn't it.

Totally Deco and I just love it!!
Oscar Namechange

Awesome Images

I hope they preserve that.... Wonderful !!!
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Faux frontierism on the Art Deco façade of The Rio Theatre in Helena, Montana, for The Last of the Mohicans, September 1936.

(The Rio closed down in the mid-1940s and re-opened in 1952 as The Vigilante Theatre! Interesting name choice. The theatre then closed for good in ‘59)

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

‘Guests at dinner were seated by Marion at the “longest refectory table in the world” in the longest dining room I had ever seen. The chairs were extremely uncomfortable, having been designed for knights who ate in their armor.

Behind us, against the entire length of the walls, were monks’ stalls of solid oak removed from some medieval house of worship, and high in the gloom above us, on long poles arching over our heads like swords at a military wedding, were several dozen beautiful embroidered banners from the leading families of Siena and Florence.

Arranged at intervals of a yard or so down the center of the vast table were three-foot-high heavily worked silver candlesticks, and between these were surprising but somehow reassuring little outcrops of paper napkins, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup. W.R. liked to keep things simple at the Ranch.’

David Niven remembering dinner parties at William Randolph Hearst’s San Simeon estate, from his memoir "Bring on the Empty Horses."

PS. I visited the Hearst mansion in 2005 and was told by our guide that if, as a guest, you ever over-stayed your welcome, W.R. would have you shifted down the table towards the door. If you reached the bottom of the table without getting the message, you were politely asked to go home!

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Apparently the best fairground attraction ever.

Anyone know where it is or was?

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Vincent .. This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you.

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Oscar Namechange

Awesome Images

It's a ghost ride.... Phew... I thought It was an euphemism

That's really creepy.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Johnstons of Elgin, founded in 1797, originated their line of Estate Tweeds in the 1840s.

Unlike tartans, which identify all members of a particular family or clan, a specific tweed identifies a group of people who live and work on the same estate, regardless of whether or not they are related by blood.

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Downtown, at the corner of Granville and Robson, there is an art installation entitled “Rogues Gallery circa 1900” which consists of a collection of mug shots of folks arrested in & around the Port of Vancouver at the turn of the 20th century, taken from police records at the City Archives.

In a statement on their website, creators Cam Andrews and Jessica Bushey (Caje Creative) write, “At a time in history when our online interactions and social media are redefining the right to privacy, freedom of expression and citizenship, it is important to reflect on the permanence of records.”

A selection of my faves:

Rita King, 20 yrs, a “sporting woman,” was arrested July 26th, 1899 on a charge of shooting Lessil McDonald in the Opera Resort Saloon and sentenced to 3 years in Agassiz Prison. Mary Lewis, 22 yrs, was arrested Sept 2nd, 1902, on a charge of picking pockets and shoplifting in Vancouver and Victoria (“This woman and her gang are known all over the coast as good pick pockets and thieves”).

Julia Lebrun, 40 yrs, was arrested Nov. 9th 1903 on a charge of being the keeper of a bawdy house at 130 Dupont St. She was fined $35 but refused to pay and was sentenced to 30 days in New Westminster jail. Gertie Johnson, 23 yrs, a native of the U.S. of A., was arrested Feb. 20th 1905 on a charge of vagrancy. Fined $15 & costs, she was “ordered to leave the city at once. This woman is an opium fiend.”

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Sipping pretty … Hilda Clark for Coca-Cola, 1890s. A popular American music hall actress and songstress, Clark was the first woman to be featured on a tin Coca-Cola advertising tray in 1895, and remained “the face” of the soft drink company until she married and retired from the stage in 1903.

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Scrat

Awesome Images

Post by Scrat »

The more things change, the more things stay the same. Not a lot of difference between these and what we find around town today.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

The fireplace at jewellery designer Elsa Peretti’s Italian home, painted by Jeremiah Goodman

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Tradition holds that any monarch or peer of the Realm passing through Oakham for the first time must forfeit a horseshoe to the Lord of the Manor. There are over 200 hanging upside down (so the devil can’t sit in them) in the Great Hall of the castle, most of them massive and gilded, many topped with a coronet to reflect the rank of the donor. The earliest shoe in the collection was given by Edward IV in 1470, in thanks for his victory at the Battle of Losecoat Field nearby.

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Built in 1799 of red and pink sandstone, the Palace façade was meant to mimic the crown of Krishna, with 5 storeys of window bays arranged in tiers, each crowned by an arch or a dome. The intricate lattice-work over the 953 tiny windows, known as jharokhas, creates a screen through which the ladies of the court could peek at the outside world without being seen themselves.

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Shell Cottage. What living on the beach should really, really be like.

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Bez

Awesome Images

Post by Bez »

Wow .... how pretty. A labour of love.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Cattleya Orchid and Three Brazilian Hummingbirds by Martin Johnson Heade, 1871.

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Return to “Photography More”