Awesome Images

Traditional or digital! Share your photos. Do you view the world a little differently through a lens? Let's discuss photos that you find interesting or worthy of discussion.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

SnoozeAgain;1384671 wrote: I must not understand what tenement means, that building looks like it's in very good condition for its age.

I guess you have to bear in mind the era during which this photo was taken.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

oscar;1384674 wrote: I love those American buildings... so full of character.

Yeah. There's just something about wooden houses!
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Wow! Looks even more beautiful in color!
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Lady J;1384698 wrote: I remember when the watermelon guy would come down the street...with his horse drawn wagon. He would yell "fresh, juicy watermelons...peaches and sweet strawberries." My mom would go out to see what he had..I always took carrots to feed to his horse.

On a more serious/sad note. A woman once told me that they were so poor when she was young, that when the donkey drawn vegetable cart came by, her mother used to go to him and ask if her could give her some cabbage leaves for their "rabbits." They had no rabbits and used to cook the cabbage for their supper.

She said the first time she did this, her young brother said loudly: "But ma we don't have any ra ....." before she clapped her hand over his mouth! My guess is that maybe the veg man knew they had no rabbits. Hope so anyway.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Well at least its gonna be difficult for the bogeyman to hide under the bed!

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Photo by Tim Walker via Vanity Fair
Snooz

Awesome Images

Post by Snooz »

Damn it, I was expecting some spotted big cats from South America.
Bryn Mawr

Awesome Images

Post by Bryn Mawr »

SnoozeAgain;1384814 wrote: Damn it, I was expecting some spotted big cats from South America.

Instead you saw a species in terminal decline - a sad sight if ever I saw one.
along-for-the-ride

Awesome Images

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I enjoy looking at old photographs such as this one. They tell a story. I'm still trying to determine how that woman is holding her baby. I see legs.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Bryn Mawr;1384836 wrote: Instead you saw a species in terminal decline - a sad sight if ever I saw one.

I could live like that in my dotage Bryn ... Could you not?
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

along-for-the-ride;1384842 wrote: I enjoy looking at old photographs such as this one. They tell a story. I'm still trying to determine how that woman is holding her baby. I see legs.

Yeah the legs thing is weird ... almost like she's holding a doll! I will look for more similar images then ...
Bryn Mawr

Awesome Images

Post by Bryn Mawr »

jones jones;1384866 wrote: I could live like that in my dotage Bryn ... Could you not?

I could easily live the nomadic life, indeed I look forward to the time when I can retire onto the boat moving from hither to yon as the mood takes me.

That, however, was abuse of the cars and the place, both of which deserve more respect.
YZGI

Awesome Images

Post by YZGI »

Wow, I finally figured out what was going on. Someone combined a bunch of JJ's threads. It became a funny thread after figuring this out because a lot of the posts are out of order. I think..
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

YZGI;1385318 wrote: Wow, I finally figured out what was going on. Someone combined a bunch of JJ's threads. It became a funny thread after figuring this out because a lot of the posts are out of order. I think..

Yeah. Bryn explained to me that my threads with an introductory post followed by images were giving a wrong impression of what Forum Garden was about. They have now all been consolidated onto a single thread.
Ahso!

Awesome Images

Post by Ahso! »

Good move.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Anyway, when Bryn told me what he had decided, I said ... "That's okay I guess."

But sitting out here in the sticks under "Hobbies ... Awsome Images" ... Well I'm not sure this is where I wanna be.

So on the off chance there may be a member or some guests who might want to check out my images, you'll now find them in my Journal ... "The Chosen Is In The House."
AnneBoleyn

Awesome Images

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I'm looking for a previous photo taken by a female photographer after WWII--I can't remember her name, please supply it--she was in Hitler's bathtub. Who was she JJ? I had wanted to learn more about her but I can't as I forgot her name.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

AnneBoleyn;1385341 wrote: I'm looking for a previous photo taken by a female photographer after WWII--I can't remember her name, please supply it--she was in Hitler's bathtub. Who was she JJ? I had wanted to learn more about her but I can't as I forgot her name.

Sure, I'll find her for you.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

AnneBoleyn;1385341 wrote: I'm looking for a previous photo taken by a female photographer after WWII--I can't remember her name, please supply it--she was in Hitler's bathtub. Who was she JJ? I had wanted to learn more about her but I can't as I forgot her name.

It was Lee Miller.
AnneBoleyn

Awesome Images

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Thanks JJ! I remembered "Lee", but forgot the rest. I will write her name down (then hopefully not lose the paper I wrote it on). I do so want to know more about her, as well as John Wilkes Booth--2 new interests that you have stimulated my curiosity about. I like knowing new things & you come in very handy for that purpose! :-)

JJ Rules.
Bryn Mawr

Awesome Images

Post by Bryn Mawr »

jones jones;1385339 wrote: Anyway, when Bryn told me what he had decided, I said ... "That's okay I guess."

But sitting out here in the sticks under "Hobbies ... Awsome Images" ... Well I'm not sure this is where I wanna be.

So on the off chance there may be a member or some guests who might want to check out my images, you'll now find them in my Journal ... "The Chosen Is In The House."

Perfectly happy to move it to another folder if you'd prefer but "Photography and More" seemed appropriate at the time.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

AnneBoleyn;1385347 wrote: Thanks JJ! I remembered "Lee", but forgot the rest. I will write her name down (then hopefully not lose the paper I wrote it on). I do so want to know more about her, as well as John Wilkes Booth--2 new interests that you have stimulated my curiosity about. I like knowing new things & you come in very handy for that purpose! :-)

JJ Rules.

I am very pleased that "I come in very handy for that purpose" honey! It is most gratifying to be found useful!
AnneBoleyn

Awesome Images

Post by AnneBoleyn »

It is most gratifying to be found useful!
It is, isn't it. Most gratifying.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Incidentally, I have been most remiss in not enquring about your eyes. No, I don't mean their obvious sparkling beauty ... But are you okay now as in "seeing well" again?
YZGI

Awesome Images

Post by YZGI »

AnneBoleyn;1385347 wrote: Thanks JJ! I remembered "Lee", but forgot the rest. I will write her name down (then hopefully not lose the paper I wrote it on). I do so want to know more about her, as well as John Wilkes Booth--2 new interests that you have stimulated my curiosity about. I like knowing new things & you come in very handy for that purpose! :-)

JJ Rules.

I watched some of a show yesterday on the history channel. "The Hunt for John Wilkes Booth." What I got to see was very good.
Lady J

Awesome Images

Post by Lady J »

Anne....since Jj got you her name perhaps this will help you learn more about her.

Lee Miller in Hitler’s Bathtub « Iconic Photos
Scrat

Awesome Images

Post by Scrat »

This is one I found just the other day on google earth. It's the church in Smolensk Russia. It's not a painting either, you can see this church from miles away, it's huge.

Attached files
AnneBoleyn

Awesome Images

Post by AnneBoleyn »

JJ:

Incidentally, I have been most remiss in not enquring about your eyes. No, I don't mean their obvious sparkling beauty ... But are you okay now as in "seeing well" again?
Why thank you. Just came from Opthamologist. There should be great improvement by mid-March. In the meantime, it's very frustrating. The only thing I see comfortably is TV. Can't enjoy reading, couldn't drive right now. Kinda boring. I'm not a patient woman. Don't enjoy coping with unpleasant things. Boo-hoo.

Lady J--thanks for the link, I liked it & it gives me leads to further seek out Lee Miller. I'm amazed I never heard of her before JJ's post.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Very pleased to hear you are on the mend!
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

If Andy Warhol had been a biologist, he might have produced art like this. The colorful series of images shows the distribution of a protein called CHC22 clathrin in human muscle cells. (via nih.gov)

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

New York circa 1915. "Eleanor Davies -- Marion Gibney -- Emalena Sizer -- Caryl Hackstaff -- Elizabeth Kirlin -- Laura Parsons -- Sophie Young -- Elise Rice (Mrs. Winfield Linn)." 5x7 glass negative, Bain News Service.

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Detroit circa 1905. "Wedding decorations at Hotel Cadillac." An interesting mix of funereal and festive. Detroit Publishing glass negative.

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Jean Shrimpton at a Doll’s Hospital in London, photographed by Terry O’Neill, 1964.

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Sally Field as Gidget, 1965.

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Salt Cones, Bolivia

Photograph by George Steinmetz, National Geographic
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Photograph by Carsten Peter, National Geographic

An explorer is no match for the gigantic crystals in Mexico’s Cueva de los Cristales, or Cave of Crystals. In 2000, two brothers drilling for lead and silver in a remote part of northern Mexico discovered the underground crystal incubator. The largest of the crystals started to grow some 600,000 years ago.

Filed under national geographic
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Touching the Clouds by Pawel Kucharski

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf

]
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

"And it’s a hell of a thing to say but—I never met another man I’d rather be. And even if that’s a delusion, it’s a lucky one."

— Charles Bukowski, in a letter to John Martin, December 11, 1985.

From Reach for the Sun: Selected Letters, 1978-1994
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Via: celestial kisses:
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

I cannot believe in a God who wants to be praised all the time.

Friedrich Nietzsche.

She got up to leave and he asked where she was going. She said, “You have the right to free speech and I have the right to not listen to it.”
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Being able to paint like this is a gift from the gods!!

Summer Rose Francois Martin Kavel
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

I could be happy spending the day here!

Cangshan mountain pool Yunnan, China.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Such a beautiful little building too ... How sad.

Abandoned Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd Pub
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Now this is why I'm happy being an atheist!!

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Yep ... this so true!

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Yeah ... Very good idea!

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

The long & winding road.

Respect yourself enough to walk away from anyone or anything that no longer serves you, grows you.

Return to “Photography More”