Awesome Images

Traditional or digital! Share your photos. Do you view the world a little differently through a lens? Let's discuss photos that you find interesting or worthy of discussion.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Interior of a horse drawn gypsy wagon.

(See First Reply)
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Bryn Mawr

Awesome Images

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I cannot imagine how long it must have taken to create that - beautiful.
gmc

Awesome Images

Post by gmc »

Incredible, I didn't know horses could draw like that. How do they hold the paintbrushes?
YZGI

Awesome Images

Post by YZGI »

Seems like it might smell a little fishy in there.

I betcha, whoever lives in that tends to be a little crabby.

They're probably shellfish people too.

It probably gets very clammy during the hot summer.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

‘This is a copy of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis’ Van Cleef and Arpel’s necklace given to her by Aristotle Onassis as a wedding present in 1968. Courtesy of the Museum of Art, Rhode Island School of Design’.

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Erik Gould: Maharani-style necklace from around 1980.
Oscar Namechange

Awesome Images

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Funny but I actually don't like that.

It was the jewellry of Wallace Simpson that blew me away.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Circa 1907. "Cliff stairway, High Bridge, Kentucky."

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Arthur Tress

Young Boy and Hooded Figure

New York, 1971

From Arthur Tress - Fantastic Voyage, Photographs 1956-2000.

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Snooz

Awesome Images

Post by Snooz »

It'd be creepier if the kid was screaming.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

SnoozeAgain;1383772 wrote: It'd be creepier if the kid was screaming.

I guess so ... yeah! To me it more like creepy to take a photo like that!
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Carla Bedini … "To be joyous is to be a madman in a world of sad ghosts."

Henry Miller, Sexus: The Rosy Crucifixion.

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Well, maybe it is!

“Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love.”

Rainer Maria Rilke.

Photo by Mario Nunes Vais, 1910.

[via All Things Amazing]

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

"Window Flowers … A New Day." by William Henry Margetson (1861 - 1940)

Notice how the flowers almost match the ladie's kaftan type garment.

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Peugeot 601 C Eclipse, 1934

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Myrna Loy

From "It’ll Take The Snap Out Of Your Garters" blog.

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Cats perched on ledges at the entrance of a perfume shop. Photograph by Alfred Eisenstaedt. Florence, Italy, 1933.

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

The popularity of masquerade parties with the super rich of Paris in the late-1920s stressed the “fancy” in fancy dress.

This amazing ensemble was designed by Lanvin in 1926 for Polish opera singer Ganna Walska, who at the time was generally considered one of the most beautiful women in the world. This fact proved extremely important to Walska’s career as she apparently had a terrible voice and spent the majority of her career using her looks to ensnare of series of six increasingly wealthy husbands.

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

The black & white image is of the diva herself wearing the costume.

Snooz

Awesome Images

Post by Snooz »

Wow, that's quite a leap and onto such a small platform.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

The American Radiator Building (since renamed to the American Standard Building) is a landmark skyscraper located in midtown Manhattan, New York City. It was conceived by the architects John Howells and Raymond Hood in 1924 and built for the American Radiator and Standard Sanitary Company.

The architects combined Gothic and modern styles in the design of the building. Black brick on the frontage of the building (symbolizing coal) was selected to give an idea of solidity and to give the building a solid mass. Other parts of the facade were covered in gold bricks (symbolizing fire), and the entry was decorated with marble and black mirrors.

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

SnoozeAgain;1383875 wrote: Wow, that's quite a leap and onto such a small platform.

Ah, but cats were cooler in those days!
gmc

Awesome Images

Post by gmc »

Typical peugeot, I expect the electrics packed up when the roof was half way down.
Bryn Mawr

Awesome Images

Post by Bryn Mawr »

jones jones;1383420 wrote: Apparently the best fairground attraction ever.

Anyone know where it is or was?

(See First Reply)

I found this attached to the same photograph :-

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Norman's Ghost Hole

In the course of my research on Coney Island, I tracked down this amazing image of the ghost train at the time of its construction, circa 1890. Originally named The Hell Hole, its name will change as judged blasphemous and too frightening to charming darlings who wanted to venture there. The haunting more reassuring than damnation, here is an intriguing concept. Note that the imps rondouillards have not been replaced so far and proudly perched on their baroque decoration, they invite strollers to enter their nightmares. In retrospect, it is the hieratic silhouettes of two showmen who give meaning to the word "Ghost" of the sign.

Snooz

Awesome Images

Post by Snooz »

oscar;1383428 wrote: It's a ghost ride.... Phew... I thought It was an euphemism

That's really creepy.

Hahaha! Thank god I wasn't the only one.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Now now ladies ... ghost holes are places where ghosts hide during the day. Sorta like the coffins in the dark where Dracula goes when the sun rises. :wah:
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Just love the piece about the cab fare!!

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Don't you get this same look on your face when you play! I do!

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Smokey” Buchanan from the West Palm Beach police force, measuring the bathing suit of Betty Fringle on Palm Beach, to ensure that it conforms with regulations introduced by the beach censors. c. 1925

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Old Beetles ad in Nigeria (1978.)

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Awe inspiring ... to me anyway!

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart.” -Anne Frank.

She makes me so ashamed that I am not able to forgive as readily as she did!

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Count Lattanzio Firmian, an Italian artist from Tentino, Italy paints a portrait of Oy Fah (Flower of love) at the Hotel Huntington. The Count, looking dapper in a dark suit, works at the tall easel that has been placed next to his model, who happens to be sitting on a stone ‘pedestal’ located within the Hotel Huntington’s gardens.

She is wearing a dark silk kimono outfit consisting of a loose-fitting top and pants; a white flower is behind her right ear. A covered pedestrian bridge in the background completes the beautiful view. January 27, 1926.

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

I still believe that this beautiful lady is a little weird/odd ... but OMG! Is Brad Pitt a lucky guy or what?

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Return to “Photography More”