Awesome Images

Traditional or digital! Share your photos. Do you view the world a little differently through a lens? Let's discuss photos that you find interesting or worthy of discussion.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

... are the Clark Sisters, photographed by Frances Benjamin Johnston circa 1850 … Half-plate daguerreotype.

Now had I not known better, I would have figured they were dead ringers for Butch Cassidy's Wild Bunch in drag ... maybe in disguise while on the run from the law!

Jeeze ladies! Were your corsets too tight or did you all have bad teeth so that you couldn't crack a smile?

For the record: Note on stationery of the Arts Club of Washington, in handwriting of Frances Benjamin Johnston, identifies sitters (l-r): "Aunt Harriet Allen, Aunt Ladonia Hoy, Grandma Joanette C-B, Aunt Julia Millard, Aunt Laura." (Harriet Elizabeth Clark Allen, 1818-1863; Ladonia Charlotte Clark Hoy, b. 1827; Joanette Clark Benjamin, c. 1814-1880; Juliaette Alcesta Clark, b. 1820; Laura Miles Clark Palmer, b. 1822."

It Forms part of: Francis Benjamin Johnston collection (Library of Congress).
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Snooz

Awesome Images

Post by Snooz »

I don't recall exactly why, but the photographers back then encouraged their subjects to NOT smile. I think because it took so long for the film to snag the image or something, so they had to stand as still as possible.

Here we go:

Why Don't People in Old Photographs Ever Seem to Smile?

Sometimes, the more you delve into an Imponderable, the murkier it becomes. We asked about twenty experts in photography and photographic history, and the early responses were fairly consistent: The subjects in old photographs weren't all depressed; the slowness of the exposure time was the culprit. In some cases, the exposure time in early daguerreotypes was up to ten minutes. Typical was the answer of Frank Calandra, secretary/treasurer of the Photographic Historical Society:

Nineteenth-century photographic materials were nowhere near as light-sensitive as today's films. This meant that instead of the fractional second exposure times we take for granted, the pioneer photographers needed several minutes to properly set an image on a sensitized plate. While this was fine for landscapes, buildings and other still-lifes, portraits called for many tricks to help subjects hold perfectly still while the shutter was open. (The first cameras had no shutter. A cap was placed over the lens and the photographer would remove it to begin the exposure and replace it when time was up.)

Holding a smile for that length of time can be uncomfortable; that's why you see the same somber look on early portraits. That's what a relaxed face looks like.

Two Imponderables
along-for-the-ride

Awesome Images

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

What a year…Titanic, Scott’s Expedition perishes, Lt Belgrave Ninnis dies by falling down a crevasse in Antarctica, thus precipitating Mawson’s epic struggle for survival …

And there were some really lovely frocks, too.

And do not forget our little darling Franz Reichelt falling from the Eiffel Tower in 1912 while testing his flying suit.

"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
gmc

Awesome Images

Post by gmc »

Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself and we are not embroiled in another world war that no one wanted for no reason that made any kind of rational sense.
AnneBoleyn

Awesome Images

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Whenever I see pics such as above, & I have a few similar ones of family, I always think first "that person is dead". I must be morose. : (
Richard Bell

Awesome Images

Post by Richard Bell »

They weren't big on recycling 100 years ago, but today, it's second nature, so:

Attached files
Richard Bell

Awesome Images

Post by Richard Bell »

AnneBoleyn;1380255 wrote: Whenever I see pics such as above, & I have a few similar ones of family, I always think first "that person is dead". I must be morose. : (

All the more reason to have a happy new year, my friend! Take 'em as you get 'em, for they will run out for all of us at some time! :D

ETA: I thought you died in 1536, after a particularly bad haircut?
AnneBoleyn

Awesome Images

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I thought you died in 1536, after a particularly bad haircut?
Not I, good sir, but a rose by the same name smells as sweet. All the more reason to have a happy new year indeed, my wise friend.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

When ever I find a story like this I am so ashamed that I have the cheek to complain about small problems in my life.

Daisy and Violet Hilton, circa 1920s, who later went on to star in Tod Browning’s 1932 masterpiece Freaks. They were co-joined at the buttocks. Long before they appeared in Freaks, the pretty Siamese twins (originally born in England) toured the United States, performing wonderful musical numbers in auditoriums to adoring audiences and working with another English-born entertainer, Bob Hope, early in his career.

tabby

Awesome Images

Post by tabby »

A very interesting book about these two women was published in 2006, "The Life and Loves of Daisy and Violet Hilton: A True Story of Conjoined Twins" by author Dean Jensen. To say they had difficult lives is an understatement but the meanness and double crossing that was shown them by family and trusted friends only made it harder for them.
Snooz

Awesome Images

Post by Snooz »

I need to read that, it sounds fascinating. Amazon, here I come.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

"Anne Sheridan was one of those gals that smoked her lunch every day. Cagney used to watch her at the commissary and be fascinated. She’d order a plate of scrambled eggs, then push them around with her fork as she went through a chain of fags, lighting one after another despite Jim’s health warnings."

Snooz

Awesome Images

Post by Snooz »

Beautiful photo. I recognize the name but I couldn't name a movie she's done to save my life.

Got this from her wiki page: Ann Sheridan died of cancer at age 51 in 1967.

Yikes.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

SnoozeAgain;1381145 wrote: Beautiful photo. I recognize the name but I couldn't name a movie she's done to save my life.

Got this from her wiki page: Ann Sheridan died of cancer at age 51 in 1967.

Yikes.

Keep lookin' Snooze hunny ... If you need help, I have a gazillion sites you can cruise!
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

I do believe this was a song by Neil Diamond ... Not one of my fave singers.

Still ....

A young woman sunbathing on the rocks. Photograph by Peter Stackpole, February 1948.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Elizabeth Taylor ... What a lady!

Did you know that she was born with a double layer of lashes above and below each of her eyes?

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Snooz

Awesome Images

Post by Snooz »

jones jones;1381695 wrote: Elizabeth Taylor ... What a lady!

Did you know that she was born with a double layer of lashes above and below each of her eyes?

(See First Reply)

That doesn't seem very fair.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

A fusion of Indo-Islamic architecture coupled with Gothic art form. Mahabat Maqbara, Junagadh, Gujarat, India.

(See Image In First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

[/IMG]
Snooz

Awesome Images

Post by Snooz »

I like the symmetry and the sensuous lines. And alliteration.
Bryn Mawr

Awesome Images

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Too fussy - I far prefer the simpler lines of :-

Attached files
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Well that too but I think the owner had a few more rupees to spend!
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

I must confess this is the very first time I have heard this phrase.

Just love the scroll-arm Edwardian chaise though!

(See Image In First Reply.)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Washington, D.C., circa 1925. "Miss Katherine Kellond." A sofa-size portrait. Harris & Ewing Collection glass negative.

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Lima, Peru-born artist Cecilia Paredes might strike you as a female counterpart to modern-day magician Liu Bolin. Working with her assistants, she creates awesome photo performance-based works that have her seamlessly blended into intricate backgrounds. Acting as both the photographer and the subject, she uses make-up, body paint and any costume she needs to make her virtually disappear.

“The illusion of ‘disappearing’ into the landscape that surrounds her, is in reality a blending, she is now ‘part of the landscape’ in her quest of belonging,” Paredes explains to us. “The theme behind all is re-location after displacement and migration and how one has to adjust in order to belong. Tough it is, but it has to be done, without forgetting our origin.”

This technique was recently used in the new Sherlock Holmes movie ... "A Game Of Shadows."

(See Images in First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Lady J

Awesome Images

Post by Lady J »

Just love the scroll-arm Edwardian chaise though!

It is almost as lovely as her....what do you think she is waiting for?
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Lady J;1382224 wrote: Just love the scroll-arm Edwardian chaise though!

It is almost as lovely as her....what do you think she is waiting for?

Well Blondie ... as it's a "portrait" study I would take a wild guess and say ... "for the photographer to take her photo!" :yh_rotfl

Sorry, you walked right into that! :wah:
Lady J

Awesome Images

Post by Lady J »

jones jones;1382238 wrote:

Sorry, you walked right into that! :wah:

Yes Baby ~ I did!!

Razzzzzzberry!!!!!
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Sydney, between Circa 1938-1940.

While this isn’t a photo of a ballerina in action, I’d just like to draw your attention to her legs. It’s not often clear under the costumes they wear, just how much effort is put into making it seem so effortless. Look at the muscle definition in her thigh!

(Speaking of course purely from an artistic viewpoint!)

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Portrait of a gentleman and a baby donkey from the Shanghai Race Club & Amateur Circus. Circa 1870.

(See first Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

From 1929, but those pants ... and those shoes ... and those suspenders ... and those hats! They would be in the height of fashion in any big city today!

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Was this called a "kiss-curl" because it was plastered down with spittle?

Eeeeeeeeeew!!!

(See First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

tabby

Awesome Images

Post by tabby »

I've always heard it called a "spit curl" and yes, I think there was a little impromptu spit involved in them! Probably moreso when it was a child involved and a mother would use a little spit to control a wild bit of hair but I'd like to believe most adults used some type of styling gel if they had it.
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

One of the few color photographs I post.

Crossing Powell

Vancouver, British Columbia, 1984.

From Fred Herzog: Photographs'.

(See Image in First Reply)
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

This young lady seems to cop quite a lot of flack from the British tabloids and the self-appointed "fashion police." Okay, there was that hat at her cousin's wedding the other day, but I like her and think she's very attractive.

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Oscar Namechange

Awesome Images

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I do too JJ.... I've always liked her.... She's stunning.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Been watching a BBC television series called "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding." It got me thinking about how we sort of judge people on first impressions & how wrong this can usually be.

These Gypsies or Travellers, (God how I hate that word), as it is now politically correct to refer to them as, at first glance seemed to be rather "low class" and I am now so ashamed of myself for thinking this.

Okay, I have never ever come in contact with Romany Gypsies and in fact I have never seen or spoken with one "in the flesh" so to speak. Many of the men featured in the series refused to have their faces shown as they believed that this would adversely affect their business.

The women all think that of they don't find a husband before they are about twenty two or so, they will be left on the shelf. So they marry young. At the weddings the dresses were pink, the cakes were pink, the women all seemed to be popping out the dresses and the guys were tattooed and macho and I found myself thinking "I wouldn't like to get into a fight with any of them."

Later when I began thinking about what I had seen, I started to actually respect them ... the men work and their wives stay at home (nowadays in a caravan pulled by an auto) and they keep house. The women like said: “We stay home and cook for our men and we clean.”

So I started thinking that maybe we, and I am as guilty as anyone, should actually get to know other earthlings before we become judgemental of them. And if we can’t “walk a mile in their shoes”, then maybe we should spent a day chatting to them … maybe like this!

jones jones

Awesome Images

Post by jones jones »

Bruv

Awesome Images

Post by Bruv »

Perhaps you would like to watch "Gypsy Blood" from the same channel.

Here it is Linky link

Did they tell you what 'business' a photo might damage ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Return to “Photography More”