The Old Grey Whistle Test

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Was wandering YouTube, and ran across this gem.

Back in my Roadie days, I ran across these guys a few times. I always like their music.

This seems to be from a TV show in the UK back then.

There are a number of great artist listed, and I suspect I will be wandering the archives of The Old Grey Whistle Test for a while.

The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

Whispering bob harris (the host of old grey whistle test and introduced an incredible number of artists to a wider audience) has a late night programme on radio 2 bob harris country

BBC Radio 2 - Bob Harris Country
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1506089 wrote: This seems to be from a TV show in the UK back then. The Old Grey Whistle Test was, along with John Peel's broadcasts, far and away the most important influence on the 70s generation in this country, and Whispering Bob is one of the great and good. I saw him speak a couple of years ago and he still has the combination of delivery, taste and expert knowledge he had back then. He had an attentive crowd and utter respect.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

A ground breaking programme that set the trend, always playing live while others mimed to their records.More here

Been replaced these days with 'Later with Jools'
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ha. I was just about to inquire on the origins of the name of that program.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Sounds good to me.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1506091 wrote: The Old Grey Whistle Test was, along with John Peel's broadcasts, far and away the most important influence on the 70s generation in this country, and Whispering Bob is one of the great and good. I saw him speak a couple of years ago and he still has the combination of delivery, taste and expert knowledge he had back then. He had an attentive crowd and utter respect.

Nothing has really come close to the Whistle Test. Every act who ever appeared on the programme is a jewel in a treasure chest. One of my highlights through the years from OGWS was John Otway and Wild Willie Barret

And don't forget Annie Nightingale....before she took to hiding behind large dark glasses

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

John Otway and Wild Willy Barrett still bring that performance up sometimes when they're on stage together. I saw the pair of them last summer and it was mentioned. How John Otway ever walked again I'm not sure.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Did you know John Otway was also the Secret Lemonade Drinker ?

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1506129 wrote: Did you know John Otway was also the Secret Lemonade Drinker ?

I was unaware there had ever been a Secret Lemonade Drinker.

Return to “General Music”