Any Classical Music Fans Here ?

superhorn

Post by superhorn »

As a professional classical musician , I would like to know if there are any people here who love classical music , and who their favorite composers and performers are so we could start some discussion about classical music here . Please let me know . Thanks !

:o :o :o
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

superhorn;1491335 wrote: As a professional classical musician , I would like to know if there are any people here who love classical music , and who their favorite composers and performers are so we could start some discussion about classical music here . Please let me know . Thanks !

:o :o :o

I've always listened to classical music but I must admit it's not my first port of call.

I think I was much influenced as a child (as, I'd guess, were many of my generation) by the music in Fantasia :-)
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I've always "Classical Music" far too ambiguous a genre. For instance - how can you compare the 1812 Overture with the Canon in D? As in the Operetta, Waltzes From Vienna demonstrated, Johann Strauss (Jnr) was considered a Radical for writing in 3/4 (Waltz) time as opposed to the traditional 4/4. What distinguishes Classic Rock from other Rock? Come to that, what distinguishes Classic Rock with Classical Music?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

I like classical music.

Off hand

Litz, Hadel, Haydn.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I LOVE Classical Music.

Preferably, the 17th and 18th, and early 19th Century.

Favorite composers, Albinoni, Bach, Vivaldi, Mozart, Haydn, too many to name. My interests are primarily from the Baroque, Classical and early Romantic periods.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Silas Mackey

Post by Silas Mackey »

I like religious songs side by side folk songs as well.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Silas Mackey;1492972 wrote: I like religious songs side by side folk songs as well.

What is the folk music like in Bangladesh? I'm heavily into British folk music and familiar with eastern european folk music but I've never heard music from the sub-continent.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I, too, LOVE Classical Music. Different composers to suit my changing moods. In my music room I have a large drawer full of cassettes and some albums which I will copy to CD's on my Crosley, to preserve them. Think I'll go listen to some Mozart now . . . no Bizet . . . no . . .
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

My musical tastes range from Beethoven to good old rock-n-roll and all that is between!

I play the guitar (well I was in a harmony/dance trio many years ago - I can just about remember ! :wah: ) although I only play once in a while now. Like Lars, I enjoy Albinoni - he wrote some wonderful guitar pieces. I enjoy Beethoven, a bit of Bach, Chopin, well in fact most of the classics, particularly where there is a melody to die for running through the music.

When I was in my late teens, by older brother had done a thesis at the university for his PhD and I couldn't understand a word of it - it was about metallurgy and involved molibdenum, tungsten and tantalum, I think ! As I had finished college and was a touch typist and was working for the Land Registry at the time, he asked if I would type his thesis out for him ( would save a lot of money ). We had one of those portable Dansette record players where you could load it up with around 8 - 10 LPs and enjoy around 2 1/2 hours of uninterrupted music. I was in the next room to our sitting room where my mother and father had the TV on and they would have to go through the room that I was in, typing, to get to the kitchen to get refreshments, so I needed non-vocal music to disguise extraneous noises. I wanted to type my brother's thesis without making any mistakes so I had to concentrate. I think I must have played all mine and my mother's records several times over during the 6 or 7 evenings that it took me to complete the thesis ! :wah:

My brother was thrilled with the effort, he drew all the diagrams in the spaces that I had been instructed to leave, and took it for some people to check to see if it needed re-typing. He was extremely chuffed because he could send the whole lot off for copying and binding - I believe he had around 20 finished copies so he could send them to prospective employers. He told me that it was unheard of for a thesis to not be re-typed because of typing errors of one sort or another. Apparently that fact alone saved him an awful lot of money ! That really made my day, and even made me feel that if I never typed anything else, it was worth all the effort to learn how to touch type just for my brother's thesis ! I doubt that I could have done it in the time without the help of classical music playing in the background !

By the way, I could never go to a concert where there was a piano concerto involved, because I would fall asleep in a very short time !!! When I was a child, my mum was practicing on the piano in readiness for taking her London Royal Academy of Music examination to gain a teaching certificate. My grandmother came to stay for a few months and occupied my bedroom, so I had to sleep on the put-you-up in the sitting room where the piano was. I became so used to falling asleep to piano music! :wah: Actually, I have even fallen asleep watching a concert on TV ! :yh_rotfl

I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I recently made a playlist of what I consider the "Coolest Classical Music" I've ever heard:

Attached files
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

One of my favorites is Saint-Saens symphony #3 in C minor. Here is a sample of the final movement. You'll want to listen to the whole symphony to find out how he got there.

Silas Mackey

Post by Silas Mackey »

I love music always. And classical music is one of my most favorite item. I would like to know do you use any music app to find out songs which you like to hear? For me, I use a music app to find out any classical songs. And therefore use this music appThe best musical.ly video compilations – musically-charts.com whenever I need.

Thank you!
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Classical Music is as varied as Modern Music. To say that you like or dislike Classic Music is meaningless. It's like comparing Soul to Rock, Jazz or Blues, etc.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

FourPart;1502837 wrote: Classical Music is as varied as Modern Music. To say that you like or dislike Classic Music is meaningless. It's like comparing Soul to Rock, Jazz or Blues, etc.

I disagree. I like all those types mentioned as well as some C&W. However I have friends who love C&W but can't stand other types and friends who love most of those types mentioned but would tell you they hate C&W.

I belong to the Las Vegas Jazz Society and I just spent a week there listening to performer friends, singing, playing sax, bass, trumpet, etc., mostly Jazz. I met a new friend who plays piano, sings, does impressions and does comedy (which he writes) He did a Louis Armstrong impression that was incredible. He also plays classical in his act--brilliantly!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Silas Mackey;1502822 wrote: I love music always. And classical music is one of my most favorite item. I would like to know do you use any music app to find out songs which you like to hear? For me, I use a music app to find out any classical songs. And therefore use this music app The best musical.ly video compilations – musically-charts.com whenever I need.

Thank you!

Sorry Silas Mackey, but your selection of what you seem to call 'classical music' is actually not my idea of classical music at all ! You seem to be more 'Pop' songs/music and of course that's fine, but please don't confuse that sort of music with what I call classical music, composed by such wonderful musicians like Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Chopin, Stravinsky, Sibelius, and more up-to-date composers like Elgar, Henry Wood, Dvorak, Benjamin Britten, yes and even Paul McCartney !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

And at what point does 'Pop' become classed as 'Classical'.

Anyone who has watched "Waltzes From Vienna" (an Operetta on the life of Johann Strauss Jnr) will understand how his work was once considered 'Pop' & very radical.

Return to “General Music”