Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Rock Off

Post by LarsMac »

I got to thinking about these choices, last night, and it became a bit of a mental adventure. I did a little bit of research and here is the result:

These three are icons of the transition of sixties music in the history of Rock music.

Roy Orbison was a product of the hillbilly influence of the American Rock and Roll scene of the fifties and early sixties. Pretty Woman was an icon of the Pre-“British Invasion” American music of the sixties. “Oh, Pretty Woman” in 1964 was Roy at his zenith, and was a world-wide hit. It was his third to top the charts in Britain. He second only to Elvis in the Rock and Roll world at the time. IT could be heard in juke boxes across the globe.

Mick Jagger and the Stones grew up (musically) in the period when much of the British music scene was infatuated with the American Blues of the early Twentieth Century.

Their bluesy riffs and surly looks, carried by a delightful beat quickly won over a lot of young Americans. They first hit the American music scene on the coattails of The Beatles, though they rapidly captured their own following here. (I can’t get no) Satisfaction was released as single in the US in 1965 and became the Stones first hit single, in the US. It was actually “banned” on the British airwaves for years, due to being “too suggestive” Satisfaction spoke to the American youth who were beginning to feel a bit disenfranchised by the commercialization of the American music industry.

Jimi Hendrix was a solid Blues guitarist, par excellence, who moved into the psychedelic Rock scene, bringing his own unique style. His wild guitar riffs, and solid, easy voice, with backup band weaving wonderfully psychedelic patterns behind him seemed almost hypnotic. All Along the Watchtower, Written and published in 1967 by Bob Dylan, was already a popular song among American Youth, when Hendrix brought a tape of it into his recording studio on London and began working on it. His treatment of it seemed to hit that sweet spot to appeal to young Americans in all walks of life. Bob Dylan was even so impressed with it, that he used a lot of Hendrix’ variations when later he performed the song. When you mention Jimi Hendrix in a crowd, most will quickly refer to All Along the Watchtower and his best known and most loved. It spoke to the sixties crowd, now in full rebellion against the War and the “Establishment”

These three songs all occurred within a few years (four, actually) of each other, but seem centuries apart in style and atmosphere. They, as well as the artists, offer an excellent view of the revolution of the American young, and the evolution of rock music during the Sixties.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Rock Off

Post by Ahso! »

Thanks for that, Lars.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Rock Off

Post by LarsMac »

So one song, and band that should have been in the competition, IMHO

The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Rock Off

Post by tabby »

This article made me think of the "Rock Off" and the debates that centered around "Stairway to Heaven".

This was a fun thread ... where's Ahso?

I wish someone would spearhead another like it, rock genre or otherwise! :guitarist

"Stairway to Heaven" -The Greatest Rock Song Ever? - Neatorama
AnneBoleyn

Rock Off

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Loved reading the article tabby, thanks! Were there really debates though? I guess I can scroll back............I just remember me offering my humble opinion! ;-)
Bruv

Rock Off

Post by Bruv »

Yes where is he ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Rock Off

Post by AnneBoleyn »

A little birdie told me he was temporarily banned, but you'd have to ask the admins, as I only have the birdie's chirp to back up that claim. Knowing Ahso! even slightly as I do, I think he'd take great umbrage to that occurrence.
Bruv

Rock Off

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1449091 wrote: A little birdie told me he was temporarily banned, but you'd have to ask the admins, as I only have the birdie's chirp to back up that claim. Knowing Ahso! even slightly as I do, I think he'd take great umbrage to that occurrence.

Oh dear.......he is or was the sort that could rub a person up the wrong way.

(I hope that nothing is lost in translation with that phrase)
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Return to “General Music”