A Little Damp

A forum for ForumGardeners to post news about themselves.
Bryn Mawr

A Little Damp

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Indeed, more than a little damp, about 18 inches of it, all running through our apartment.

It started about 9am with 2" of rain falling in about 45 minutes, then we had a rest before another 2" in the next hour.

It wasn't too bad at that point, I was keeping up with the influx and bucketing it down the loo - then the run-off came over the wall and broke the door frame.

Eventually it forced the door open and washed my wife out of the other door - she was not happy :-(

However, we did eventually manage to clear the mud out

and the insurance company have agreed, in principle, to pay for the damage.

Ho hum, now we have a blank slate to redo it as we like :-)
LarsMac

Re: A Little Damp

Post by LarsMac »

Well, at least you didn't have carpet.

Nothing is more fun that trying to pull up sopping wet shag Carpet.
Ever since that adventure, I've always made a point of finding a home on relatively high ground.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:40 am Well, at least you didn't have carpet.

Nothing is more fun that trying to pull up sopping wet shag Carpet.
Ever since that adventure, I've always made a point of finding a home on relatively high ground.
All our homes in the UK have been at the top of hills but we didn't expect "a biblical catastrophe" as the Greek news called it.
spot

Post by spot »

They are very distressing photos. The Guardian had a major piece about it which I expect you've seen, I'll put a bit here from it:
The weekend storm unleashed the equivalent of four months’ rainfall in a matter of hours on coastal villages, flooding roads, shops and homes.

As rescue teams continued to comb the area on Sunday, the Greek state broadcaster ERT described scenes of “biblical catastrophe”, with footage of cars and other debris submerged under seawater in Agia Pelagia and Sitia in the east of the island, where a state of emergency was declared.

“The situation is out of control,” said the mayor of Sitia, Giorgos Zervakis, ahead of government officials announcing a €400,000 (£350,000) compensation package with immediate effect.

“There have been landslides, roads are closed, areas are impassable because of cars and streets have turned into rivers. In all the years I have been in Sitia I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Local police said eight tourists and a security guard were trapped in Sitia’s archaeological museum as torrential rains lashed the port town. Thousands of holidaymakers were pictured gathered in the departure hall at Heraklion’s international airport after flights were cancelled because of submerged runways.

“Areas of the international airport have flooded and immediately have to be cleared,” Giorgos Pliakas, the airport’s manager, told the local news outlet Cretapost. “No one can tell when flights will resume.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... ding-crete
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:09 am They are very distressing photos. The Guardian had a major piece about it which I expect you've seen, I'll put a bit here from it:
The weekend storm unleashed the equivalent of four months’ rainfall in a matter of hours on coastal villages, flooding roads, shops and homes.

As rescue teams continued to comb the area on Sunday, the Greek state broadcaster ERT described scenes of “biblical catastrophe”, with footage of cars and other debris submerged under seawater in Agia Pelagia and Sitia in the east of the island, where a state of emergency was declared.

“The situation is out of control,” said the mayor of Sitia, Giorgos Zervakis, ahead of government officials announcing a €400,000 (£350,000) compensation package with immediate effect.

“There have been landslides, roads are closed, areas are impassable because of cars and streets have turned into rivers. In all the years I have been in Sitia I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Local police said eight tourists and a security guard were trapped in Sitia’s archaeological museum as torrential rains lashed the port town. Thousands of holidaymakers were pictured gathered in the departure hall at Heraklion’s international airport after flights were cancelled because of submerged runways.

“Areas of the international airport have flooded and immediately have to be cleared,” Giorgos Pliakas, the airport’s manager, told the local news outlet Cretapost. “No one can tell when flights will resume.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... ding-crete
I walked into Sitia on the Saturday evening - it was heartbreaking.

It's not just the damage to the town, the entire beach has been stripped of sand - the tourism industry will take years to recover.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

That sounds not unlike the aftermath of Hurricane Ian in South Florida.
My friends in the region say that they are lucky to still have a house,
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:05 am That sounds not unlike the aftermath of Hurricane Ian in South Florida.
My friends in the region say that they are lucky to still have a house,
Things will recover, life will go on
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Luckily the electric sockets look like they are up high, not like home here in the UK where the majority are on the skirting board level causing major issues if you get flooded. Hope you get the insurance money and make sure you enjoy the hard work it's going to take re-decorating etc :(
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Betty Boop wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:39 am Luckily the electric sockets look like they are up high, not like home here in the UK where the majority are on the skirting board level causing major issues if you get flooded. Hope you get the insurance money and make sure you enjoy the hard work it's going to take re-decorating etc :(
That’s the continental standard, my extension leads, however, did not meet those standards when the bookcase floated away and tipped over.

The insurance want a quote for every item to be agreed before I buy - a right royal pita for the smaller items!

Return to “Members' News”