Am I the Oldest Person On FG?

A forum for ForumGardeners to post news about themselves.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Somehow I get the feeling that I am the oldest person on FG. Does anyone know for sure? If so how about some kind of Senior Citizen benefit or discount. After all, my favorite Chinese restaurant gives a 10% discount and we old farts get a discount at the cinema and a host of other places.

Just Kidding!!!

Actually, I hate Senior Citizen Discounts and find them insulting. There is an implication that we of maturity are not as well off as our younger citizens. I don't think the discounts are offered as a measure of respect, so what's the deal. Anyone have a good handle on the why of Senior Citizen Discounts?

Barman

Post by Barman »

Maybe it is time to start taking a little of what you have paid in for many years back. :) When are you 50 Lon ?;)
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

We could read you 10% less, let you gripe 10% more... hmmm.......what else can we come up with....:sneaky:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Lon;1269203 wrote: Somehow I get the feeling that I am the oldest person on FG. Does anyone know for sure? If so how about some kind of Senior Citizen benefit or discount. After all, my favorite Chinese restaurant gives a 10% discount and we old farts get a discount at the cinema and a host of other places.

Just Kidding!!!

Actually, I hate Senior Citizen Discounts and find them insulting. There is an implication that we of maturity are not as well off as our younger citizens. I don't think the discounts are offered a measure of respect, so what's the deal. Anyone have a good handle on the why of Senior Citizen Discounts?

Yeah, senior discounts are actually the normal retail price and the rest of us are paying above retail. Make you feel better?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
G-man

Post by G-man »

I'm not sure if you're the oldest or not... I'm 40, but some member on here thought I was about half that age from my appearance and I've always been told that I'm an old soul... anyway, you're older than me. :p

I've always felt that such discounts were intended to be out of respect.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Lon

Post by Lon »

flopstock;1269209 wrote: We could read you 10% less, let you gripe 10% more... hmmm.......what else can we come up with....:sneaky:

I like the gripe idea. but how about 15%?:)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

G-man;1269218 wrote: I'm not sure if you're the oldest or not... I'm 40, but some member on here thought I was about half that age from my appearance and I've always been told that I'm an old soul... anyway, you're older than me. :p

I've always felt that such discounts were intended to be out of respect.

In the UK, the discounts are made to offset the appalling pension that is paid to senior citizens ! Unless you have made your fortune in business, or you have retired on a very good pension from the civil service, or the armed forces, then the UK pensioner usually has to penny-pinch to manage - not enough income to buy any luxuries, etc. hardly enough to keep warm and buy food ! You think I jest? It is a smack in the face, when most people have worked hard all their working lives and paid their taxes and NI contributions, to be presented with the measly pension they actually get. :mad: :-5
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Love senior discounts take all of them I can get. :wah: I'm 62 and proud of it. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Lon

Post by Lon »

G#Gill;1269224 wrote: In the UK, the discounts are made to offset the appalling pension that is paid to senior citizens ! Unless you have made your fortune in business, or you have retired on a very good pension from the civil service, or the armed forces, then the UK pensioner usually has to penny-pinch to manage - not enough income to buy any luxuries, etc. hardly enough to keep warm and buy food ! You think I jest? It is a smack in the face, when most people have worked hard all their working lives and paid their taxes and NI contributions, to be presented with the measly pension they actually get. :mad: :-5

That's just one of the many differences between the UK and the US. My generation was encouraged to save for retirement. Our Social Security (Old age Pension) did not come into effect until the early forties under FDR, and like the UK, the benefit is hardly adequate to maintain a comfortable standard of living. In my teens, the three legged stool concept was encouraged. Company pension, Social Security, Private saving/investments. Today's young folk have questionable Social Security to look forward to and all appearances of having to save a huge amount for their retirement, as company pension plans are history.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

For you, Lon. :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Somehow I get the feeling that I am the oldest person on FG.

Oldest on FG? Mate you're the oldest person in the world:wah::wah::wah::wah:
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Maybe you are Lon, the other oldie I can remember is Captain Buzzard from Ireland, wonder how he's doing.
Lon

Post by Lon »

fuzzywuzzy;1269235 wrote: Oldest on FG? Mate you're the oldest person in the world:wah::wah::wah::wah:

If that were true I could make a buck or two and go on the "Oprah Winfrey Show", or even better yet, do a commercial for" Depends"as the oldest living Depends wearer.:wah:
Odie

Post by Odie »

Lon;1269203 wrote: Somehow I get the feeling that I am the oldest person on FG. Does anyone know for sure? If so how about some kind of Senior Citizen benefit or discount. After all, my favorite Chinese restaurant gives a 10% discount and we old farts get a discount at the cinema and a host of other places.

Just Kidding!!!

Actually, I hate Senior Citizen Discounts and find them insulting. There is an implication that we of maturity are not as well off as our younger citizens. I don't think the discounts are offered as a measure of respect, so what's the deal. Anyone have a good handle on the why of Senior Citizen Discounts?

I'm feeling close to your age!:yh_rotfl

I'm 58.
:sneaky::lips::yh_rotfl

I know a lot of seniors here Lon who have no money saved up or had no investments because they had no money to invest.

These people are living on Canada Pension Plan (if they worked) and Old Age Security which is roughly $500.00 a month.

Their Canada Pension plan varies on what your employer paid you, so roughly $500 - $700 per months.

Some still live in their own home, which means they have utilities, phone, cable, internet & property taxes to pay each month.

Property taxes range from $2,200.00 per year and up, if they own acreage, (1 acre) it would be around $5,000.00 per year, even though the home may only be 1100 sq. feet.

These seniors rely on their discounts in every store, as they are on a extremely tight budget.

Even if they are not on a budget, why not get the savings you so deserve?

You've worked your entire life, perhaps 40 years, that's a long long time.

Senior citizens deserve this and so much more, but I won't get into that on your thread.
Life is just to short for drama.
Lon

Post by Lon »

I know a lot of seniors here Lon who have no money saved up or had no investments because they had no money to invest.

These people are living on Canada Pension Plan (if they worked) and Old Age Security which is roughly $500.00 a month.

Their Canada Pension plan varies on what your employer paid you, so roughly $500 - $700 per months.

Some still live in their own home, which means they have utilities, phone, cable, internet & property taxes to pay each month.

Property taxes range from $2,200.00 per year and up, if they own acreage, (1 acre) it would be around $5,000.00 per year, even though the home may only be 1100 sq. feet.

These seniors rely on their discounts in every store, as they are on a extremely tight budget.

Senior citizens deserve this and so much more, but I won't get into that on your thread.

Lon says-----------

There is really no difference in seniors here in the US or in Canada. If they were not able to save/invest, but were able to buy a home, groceries, clothing, educate the kids, buy appliances, cars, take vacations then they had big choices in what to buy and how much to spend, and therein lies the key to saving/investing. Simply working for 40 years or more does not entitle a person to anything in my opinion. They were paid a wage for their labor and the opportunity to choose how to spend it.

If there are seniors that were disabled and not able to work during their lifetime, that's another matter. I am only talking about those that were paid a decent wage and just didn't handle their finances very well and over spent on the big ticket items that during their working careers amounts to thousands of dollars.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

I'm so old I knew burger King when he was a prince.:D
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I like the discounts, though it was a bit disconcerting that I hardly ever have to ask for them.

At the cinema, they offer a $2-3 discount.

When I step up to the booth to by tickets for me and the missus, I ask for the "Old Fart Discount" the kids at the booth usually get a chuckle and I save a fin.

At the restaurants, the Old Fart discount pays for the tax, so I am OK with that.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Odie

Post by Odie »

LarsMac;1269358 wrote: Well, I like the discounts, though it was a bit disconcerting that I hardly ever have to ask for them.

At the cinema, they offer a $2-3 discount.

When I step up to the booth to by tickets for me and the missus, I ask for the "Old Fart Discount" the kids at the booth usually get a chuckle and I save a fin.

At the restaurants, the Old Fart discount pays for the tax, so I am OK with that.

I'd like the discounts to, who wouldn't?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hey, Lon, are you over 92 then ? :p
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
birsmafir78

Post by birsmafir78 »

A forum for ForumGardeners to post news about themselves.

Spam in signature bye bye..
Sorry no spam in signature you have been banned.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Lon;1269330 wrote: I know a lot of seniors here Lon who have no money saved up or had no investments because they had no money to invest.

Lon says-----------

There is really no difference in seniors here in the US or in Canada. If they were not able to save/invest, but were able to buy a home, groceries, clothing, educate the kids, buy appliances, cars, take vacations then they had big choices in what to buy and how much to spend, and therein lies the key to saving/investing. Simply working for 40 years or more does not entitle a person to anything in my opinion. They were paid a wage for their labor and the opportunity to choose how to spend it.

If there are seniors that were disabled and not able to work during their lifetime, that's another matter. I am only talking about those that were paid a decent wage and just didn't handle their finances very well and over spent on the big ticket items that during their working careers amounts to thousands of dollars.

sounds like you have money to blow!:yh_rotfl

some do really need discounts and coupons.

even if you don't, why waste coupons and discounts and put more money out of your own than you need to?

every cent helps me out.
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

My hubby is 72 and plans to retire when he turns 73...I dont have a discount card cause I am too young yet:guitarist but hubby has one I think its great....

Every cent counts in our household...what have we done with our money...we own our own home have helped all 7 kids and grandkids but most of all have helped those less fortunate than ourselves and also our Foster children so yes the discount card does come in handy for some Lon :D
FOC THREAD PART 1
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

I got a letter today from the inland revenue telling me i have made a shortfall in contributions from 2005 to 2006 of £88 and to pay it as soon as possible as it will affect my pension next year when i retire.

I'm 43 !!!!
Odie

Post by Odie »

buttercup;1270715 wrote: I got a letter today from the inland revenue telling me i have made a shortfall in contributions from 2005 to 2006 of £88 and to pay it as soon as possible as it will affect my pension next year when i retire.

I'm 43 !!!!

I had shortcomings a couple of year also, but they let me pay it off monthly.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I'm 49, did I beat you Lon? (Of course I work with teens, so I probably sound about 17!):D
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Odie;1270750 wrote: I had shortcomings a couple of year also, but they let me pay it off monthly.

Its not the £88 i'm bothered about, did you not notice they think i'm retiring next year? I'm 43 !!!!
Peg

Post by Peg »

buttercup;1270882 wrote: Its not the £88 i'm bothered about, did you not notice they think i'm retiring next year? I'm 43 !!!!

Lucky you being able to retire at 44. :yh_rotfl
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Lon;1269203 wrote: Somehow I get the feeling that I am the oldest person on FG.

I dont mean to be ill mannered Lon because I love you. But lets face it, youre the oldest person not just here at FG but anywhere.

Not that theres anything wrong with that.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Members' News”