Another Brief Respite

A forum for ForumGardeners to post news about themselves.
Bryn Mawr

Another Brief Respite

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Eleven days this time - cruising the wilds of Northamptonshire and doing some much needed maintenance on the boat :-6
qsducks

Another Brief Respite

Post by qsducks »

Bryn Mawr;1248105 wrote: Eleven days this time - cruising the wilds of Northamptonshire and doing some much needed maintenance on the boat :-6

I hope you got some fishing in & were able to relax.:)
Oscar Namechange

Another Brief Respite

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bryn Mawr;1248105 wrote: Eleven days this time - cruising the wilds of Northamptonshire and doing some much needed maintenance on the boat :-6

You lucky bugger... some of my greatest hols were on the Norfolk Broads although I know your not a fan of the Broads. What sort of wildlife and waterfowl do you see in Northamptonshire? Please take pics for me. :-6
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
G#Gill

Another Brief Respite

Post by G#Gill »

I hope the weather is kind for you, Bryn. Take care and have a good relax - not all work ! See you when you get back ! I'm off for a week from this weekend, to our new home ! We're just going to chill :yh_rotfl ;)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
chonsigirl

Another Brief Respite

Post by chonsigirl »

May you have a gentle breeze to take you to relaxation and delight.:-6
Oscar Namechange

Another Brief Respite

G#Gill;1248128 wrote: I hope the weather is kind for you, Bryn. Take care and have a good relax - not all work ! See you when you get back ! I'm off for a week from this weekend, to our new home ! We're just going to chill :yh_rotfl ;) Sending you much joy and love for your new home and I know you will be so happy. :-6
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Lon

Another Brief Respite

Post by Lon »

What kind of boat Bryn? Can you post a pic?
AussiePam

Another Brief Respite

Post by AussiePam »

Fantastic, Bryn! Gosh I'd love to do that. Maybe one day! I can see you pottering about in the mist, tinkering with your boat, dreaming dreams, thinking, just zoning out. Wonderful.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

G#Gill

Another Brief Respite

Post by G#Gill »

AussiePam;1248140 wrote: Fantastic, Bryn! Gosh I'd love to do that. Maybe one day! I can see you pottering about in the mist, tinkering with your boat, dreaming dreams, thinking, just zoning out. Wonderful.

I can confirm, Pam, that living on a boat on the inland waterways (for a week, a month, or a lifetime), is to me one of the most relaxing ways of living. There are speed limits on the canals of 4 mph, a bit more on the rivers, so life just has to go slower. It is peaceful, quiet and you are mostly in the rural areas of the country. Mostly, too, you can moor up wherever you feel like it so long as you have the safety and consideration of all concerned. Boat life is idyllic, and so therapeutic!

Highly recommended !!!!!!! ;) :) :-6

P.S. There's only one drawback........................................... flamin ducks tramp, tramp, trampin on the saloon roof and peckin at whatever all along its length, sounding like a flamin steam hammer, at the crack of 'sparrow-fart' ...................no need for alarm clocks :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
G#Gill

Another Brief Respite

Post by G#Gill »

Ere Pam what is the time right now in Australia, please ? Well Queensland any way. :-3
AussiePam

Another Brief Respite

Post by AussiePam »

Thanks for the info Gilly. I've dreamed of a gentle meander on British waterways ever since reading AP Herbert's 'Water Gypsies' as a kid.

It's just gone 7 am here on the east coast of Australia (same right now in Queensland) - we change our clocks this coming long weekend to summer time. I think Queensland doesn't do summer time. The joke is when someone asks about Qld time to give them the date, then tell them to put the clock back 50 years. I wouldn't say that, of course.... :sneaky::-6

G#Gill

Another Brief Respite

Post by G#Gill »

AussiePam;1248152 wrote: Thanks for the info Gilly. I've dreamed of a gentle meander on British waterways ever since reading AP Herbert's 'Water Gypsies' as a kid.

It's just gone 7 am here on the east coast of Australia (same right now in Queensland) - we change our clocks this coming long weekend to summer time. I think Queensland doesn't do summer time. The joke is when someone asks about Qld time to give them the date, then tell them to put the clock back 50 years. I wouldn't say that, of course.... :sneaky::-6

Thanks for that Pam, I need to make a phone call to somebody in Queensland and don't want to ring too early :thinking: I keep forgetting that you are 9 hours ahead of UK ! Gawd these time zones grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :rolleyes: :yh_rotfl
Betty Boop

Another Brief Respite

Post by Betty Boop »

Enjoy the peace Bryn! :-6
pinkchick

Another Brief Respite

Post by pinkchick »

Have fun Bryn :-6
Very nearly perfect ... :D
Odie

Another Brief Respite

Post by Odie »

oh that sounds fabulous Bryn!:guitarist:guitarist

have a wonderful time!
Life is just to short for drama.
CARLA

Another Brief Respite

Post by CARLA »

Enjoy and travel safe Bryn. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Snowfire

Another Brief Respite

Post by Snowfire »

If I'd have known Bryn, I would have popped over for a beer. I'm working in Northampton during the week. Loved to have seen the boat and who knows, I might even have picked up a brush in exchange for a mug of tea
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
mrsK

Another Brief Respite

Post by mrsK »

Hope you have a good time.I am on hols now for a couple of weeks won't be doing anything that exciting though.

G#Gill;1248147 wrote: I can confirm, Pam, that living on a boat on the inland waterways (for a week, a month, or a lifetime), is to me one of the most relaxing ways of living. There are speed limits on the canals of 4 mph, a bit more on the rivers, so life just has to go slower. It is peaceful, quiet and you are mostly in the rural areas of the country. Mostly, too, you can moor up wherever you feel like it so long as you have the safety and consideration of all concerned. Boat life is idyllic, and so therapeutic!

Highly recommended !!!!!!! ;) :) :-6

P.S. There's only one drawback........................................... flamin ducks tramp, tramp, trampin on the saloon roof and peckin at whatever all along its length, sounding like a flamin steam hammer, at the crack of 'sparrow-fart' ...................no need for alarm clocks :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
That sounds like something I would enjoy doing:-6

AussiePam;1248152 wrote: Thanks for the info Gilly. I've dreamed of a gentle meander on British waterways ever since reading AP Herbert's 'Water Gypsies' as a kid.

Dread the thought of the time change AP ,but then I always do & then get into the swing of things pretty fast.It happens on school hols this year so that will be a bit better for the kids to adjust:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Odie

Another Brief Respite

Post by Odie »

mrsK;1248529 wrote: Hope you have a good time.I am on hols now for a couple of weeks won't be doing anything that exciting though.

That sounds like something I would enjoy doing:-6

Dread the thought of the time change AP ,but then I always do & then get into the swing of things pretty fast.It happens on school hols this year so that will be a bit better for the kids to adjust:-6

the time change here causes many car accidents etc, they say those 2 days are the worst of the year...... it really does do something to your mind.
Kathy Ellen

Another Brief Respite

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Have a wonderful time Byrn and share some pictures:-6
Bryn Mawr

Another Brief Respite

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Well, the wanderer returns and, thanks to your wishes of fine weather, having carried our own microclimate around with us. The only rain the whole week fell at night and we were blessed with glorious balmy evenings whilst our friends a few miles away had a day of continuous drizzle.

Sadly I didn't manage to get any photo's of the wildlife - round here we go in for lots of Red Kite, Cormorants, Heron and Kingfishers, but did manage to get a decent one of the boat :-

Not much work was done, as you might imagine, but much gentle cruising round old haunts and exploring of the lesser known backwaters we'd not managed to reach before.

The week culminated with a trip to the 46th World Conker Championship where I spotted the next engine for the boat :-

Whilst we're allowed 7 MPH on the river I've only ever reached that downstream after a lot of rainfall. That beauty supposedly hits 317 MPH in just over 4 seconds from a standing start - on second thoughts, maybe the boat's better off as it is :-6

Attached files
Oscar Namechange

Another Brief Respite

Bryn Mawr;1251349 wrote: Well, the wanderer returns and, thanks to your wishes of fine weather, having carried our own microclimate around with us. The only rain the whole week fell at night and we were blessed with glorious balmy evenings whilst our friends a few miles away had a day of continuous drizzle.

Sadly I didn't manage to get any photo's of the wildlife - round here we go in for lots of Red Kite, Cormorants, Heron and Kingfishers, but did manage to get a decent one of the boat :-

Not much work was done, as you might imagine, but much gentle cruising round old haunts and exploring of the lesser known backwaters we'd not managed to reach before.

The week culminated with a trip to the 46th World Conker Championship where I spotted the next engine for the boat :-

Whilst we're allowed 7 MPH on the river I've only ever reached that downstream after a lot of rainfall. That beauty supposedly hits 317 MPH in just over 4 seconds from a standing start - on second thoughts, maybe the boat's better off as it is :-6Welcome back Bryn. Glad you had a great time. Red Kite?? I'd like to have seen those. :-6
Bryn Mawr

Another Brief Respite

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1251350 wrote: Welcome back Bryn. Glad you had a great time. Red Kite?? I'd like to have seen those. :-6

Glorious sight - slightly bigger than a buzzard but far more graceful in flight.
Kathy Ellen

Another Brief Respite

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Welcome back Bryn......Happy that you had a good time.

That's your boat, is it:-6 WOW, just gorgeous....my kind of holiday...slow boat to nowhere:-6
kazalala

Another Brief Respite

Post by kazalala »

Bryn Mawr;1251349 wrote: Well, the wanderer returns and, thanks to your wishes of fine weather, having carried our own microclimate around with us. The only rain the whole week fell at night and we were blessed with glorious balmy evenings whilst our friends a few miles away had a day of continuous drizzle.

Whilst we're allowed 7 MPH on the river I've only ever reached that downstream after a lot of rainfall. That beauty supposedly hits 317 MPH in just over 4 seconds from a standing start - on second thoughts, maybe the boat's better off as it is :-6

I am so jealous im actually turning green:-5:-5

Glad you ahd a good week:-6

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
AussiePam

Another Brief Respite

Post by AussiePam »

That's a great looking boat, Bryn. Welcome back - I'm very glad you had a good break!!! There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats...

Bryn Mawr

Another Brief Respite

Post by Bryn Mawr »

AussiePam;1251603 wrote: That's a great looking boat, Bryn. Welcome back - I'm very glad you had a good break!!! There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats...

You can say that again :-6

Nothing relaxes you quicker or gets you so precisely into that mellow zone.

So relaxed in fact that I'm now off work with a stinking cold but ho hum - it was well worth it :)
Odie

Another Brief Respite

Post by Odie »

now that was the way to go!

beautiful river side.

that is a beauty! 317 MPH in 4 seconds?

I want that boat.

surely a pleasurable trip for all!:-6
Bryn Mawr

Another Brief Respite

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Odie;1251613 wrote: now that was the way to go!

beautiful river side.

that is a beauty! 317 MPH in 4 seconds?

I want that boat.

surely a pleasurable trip for all!:-6

The engine is in a Top Fuel dragster that was on display at the conker championship so I don't think it would quite suit the boat but yes, definitely the break I needed :)
Odie

Another Brief Respite

Post by Odie »

Bryn Mawr;1251615 wrote: The engine is in a Top Fuel dragster that was on display at the conker championship so I don't think it would quite suit the boat but yes, definitely the break I needed :)

good grief, a dragster?:yh_rotfl

the break just sounds outstanding to have that opportunity to explore, relax and watch the beautiful scenery, wildlife and birds.:guitarist:guitarist
surfingkite

Another Brief Respite

Post by surfingkite »

Nice! bookmarked it! i will check it later. Thanks very much for sharing
kite sale

kite lesson

Return to “Members' News”