Describe your Garden

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
Bez

Describe your Garden

Post by Bez »

Hi garden lovers

My garden is my sanctuary, my hobbie, one of the greatest pleasures in my life. Working in the garden has saved my sanity over the years.

It is quite small because my Husband built a huge garage that took over half the space. I have a nice decked area adjoining the house with table, chairs, potted plants etc. .....step down slightly to a grassed area with borders of shrubs, perennials either side. ....keep walking to a small raised pond (and i mean small) which is home to 8 goldfish. There is a path to the left with pots containing ornamental grasses. walking straight on I have a small lily pond which is home to frogs and newts. Garden shed is at the end hidden by shrubs etc. I have 2 birdbaths, a bird table, loads of nut feeders and fat balls....hanging baskets (seasonal) and wind chimes.....I have tried to make it naaatural lookin....a haven in a town setting....well there it is...tell us about your garden with piccies if poss.....Bez
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
chonsigirl

Describe your Garden

Post by chonsigirl »

I have a vegetable garden-and watermelons. It was my first big garden this year, and was my hobby. It kept me busy cleaning the outside yard, being able to watch any antics going on in the house.

I have bell peppers, and chili peppers, and Anaheim peppers!

Lots of squashes, but the neighborhood critters seems to like to eat them alot. I don't have the heart to do anything destructive to the critters, but natural type obstacles. So, I will get to eat everything else, but it cleaned up a huge section of the yard for the first time in 4 years! And kept me out of mischief for awhile.
Accountable

Describe your Garden

Post by Accountable »

This was our pride and joy when we lived in Las Vegas. The place had that hideous prison wall effect that we had to contend with. We laid every brick, cobble, & rock; planted every bush & vine; and made that water fountain the wild birds love.

chonsigirl

Describe your Garden

Post by chonsigirl »

It is beautiful, Accountable! You did alot of work, and it must have fun to sit outside in the shade at the end of the day. The cool breezes after the warm desert days....................
Accountable

Describe your Garden

Post by Accountable »

chonsigirl wrote: It is beautiful, Accountable! You did alot of work, and it must have fun to sit outside in the shade at the end of the day. The cool breezes after the warm desert days....................
We'd have breakfast there & enjoy the smell of jasmine. The cat somehow knew she was allowed on the patio but never set foot on the rocks - even if I left her outside alone. It was very small but it was ours. I can't wait to do it again!
nvalleyvee

Describe your Garden

Post by nvalleyvee »

We live in the high desert, cold winters and hot summers. This year we took a different stance on gardening. We planted all low water desert plants - about 40 one gallon containers. We had to deep water once a week to establish the roots. We had to weed every couple of weeks so we could see our little tiny plants. Today when we looked out the front window there was a sea of purple sage, yellow yarrow, pink pampas and many native grasses all about 3 feet tall now. We want to rock in between the plants. We only have another 1/2 acre to plant the same way :-5 .

I do use water on my veggie garden because I love to can and have the veggies all winter, tomaotes, pickles, green beans, squash and all kinds of herbs for the dehydrator.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
SweetDarlin

Describe your Garden

Post by SweetDarlin »

:(

I live in an apartment with no land accessible whatsoever... they do decorate it beautifully with flowers and shrubs. But the only area I have that is MINE are the two flower pots on my stoop.

That will have to do.

I'll post a little pathetic picture later...

;)
[FONT=Georgia]

[/FONT]
Accountable

Describe your Garden

Post by Accountable »

SuiteDarlin wrote: :(

I live in an apartment with no land accessible whatsoever... they do decorate it beautifully with flowers and shrubs. But the only area I have that is MINE are the two flower pots on my stoop.

That will have to do.

I'll post a little pathetic picture later...

;)
the condition of your plants will tell us if it's pathetic or not. :)
capt_buzzard

Describe your Garden

Post by capt_buzzard »

Accountable wrote: This was our pride and joy when we lived in Las Vegas. The place had that hideous prison wall effect that we had to contend with. We laid every brick, cobble, & rock; planted every bush & vine; and made that water fountain the wild birds love.

Oh that is very nice Accountable. I could see myself sitting here and watching the birds.
Accountable

Describe your Garden

Post by Accountable »

capt_buzzard wrote: Oh that is very nice Accountable. I could see myself sitting here and watching the birds.
The birds got so used to us. It was great. The cat would get so caught up with stalking that she never thought to pounce.:wah: Stress didn't exist in my little courtyard.
nvalleyvee

Describe your Garden

Post by nvalleyvee »

You have been elected to design our BBQ space. 30x15 with built in seating and BBQ. Yes we want a stone floor. :D
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Bez

Describe your Garden

Post by Bez »

This my aforementioned garden but on a dull day ! All the pics taken on a sunny day are too big 'filewise' to download. I am enjoying reading about your green spaces and plants....even a windowsill can be a mini green space...thanks Bez
Accountable

Describe your Garden

Post by Accountable »

It's so lush! That's beautiful, Bez. I can see why you call it your hobby. It's easy to see the love. :-6
hotsauce

Describe your Garden

Post by hotsauce »

omg...bez...accountable...BEAUTIFUL PICS! this is my old place...a bit of over-kill...

http://tinypic.com/4kwx2u

this was a container garden...we rented and i couldn't dig in the ground very well. now, we own our home...and i have put in Perennial beds an annual bed for color....and a hosta bed. I still have many hanging baskets too. I love coleus as well...coleus is everywhere!

Accountable

Describe your Garden

Post by Accountable »

Ah yes. I remember that pic from the last time you posted it. Beautiful blast of color!

Thanks for posting it again. They're so hard to find.
Bez

Describe your Garden

Post by Bez »

Calling all new members .... it would be good to peek into your gardens...tell us about them here.

Return to “Gardening Forum”