My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
capt_buzzard

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by capt_buzzard »

Does anyone here plant flowers,shubs and trees in their own home gardens?

My front lawn is covered in rose trees.And the back yard has bird tables. Its nice to sit in the garden and watch nature at its best.
Tombstone

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by Tombstone »

You bet! Nothing better than having a garden - of any kind. This would be a good place for you to post some pics. hint hint! :D

I'll try to do the same.

capt_buzzard wrote: Does anyone here plant flowers,shubs and trees in their own home gardens?

My front lawn is covered in rose trees.And the back yard has bird tables. Its nice to sit in the garden and watch nature at its best.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
capt_buzzard

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by capt_buzzard »

Yes I will over the Weekend. + a surprise. :-6
Peg

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by Peg »

I used to plant flowers until last year when my son got a puppy who dug up all the flowers I planted. I made no attempt this year. We planted a garden last year but didn't get any vegetables because of wild animals eating our plants. I made no attempt this year. I do have a hanging basket though but I'll probably kill it before long LOL.
Tombstone

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by Tombstone »

ha! I know what you mean.

By the way - yes - where is the Garden Forum? hmmm??!!

Majuscule wrote: Where's the garden forum? The ForumGarden garden forum!

I have deer in my yard. They are testing for deer proof plants. So far, I'm losing...
Peg

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by Peg »

I really don't like my back yard. It is like in steps. Makes it hard to mow or even enjoy it. None of the tiers are big enough to even put a picnic table. I guess all the yards along here used to be like that for gardens. Any suggestions?
capt_buzzard

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by capt_buzzard »

Daffodils in Springtime

Attached files
Peg

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by Peg »

Uncle Bob wrote: It's hard to tell where my front yard ends and the backyard begins. My house is

on a corner lot. That means I have lawn on all four sides. I hate yard work!

Too bad we're on opposite sides of the US. I love to cut grass! I find it a great way to get out any anger or frustrations I have. If I had a decent size yard again, I'd be able to get out my anger, get a tan, and get something accomplished all at the same time LOL.
Peg

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by Peg »

LMAO and the tour can end once I make it to California?
pattybug52

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by pattybug52 »

I used to do a lot gardening-now not much time but still have my roses-about 30 of them, a butterfly bush, Jasmine-don't have much room-live in a 4 plex and only side yard and patio but landlord gives me free choice what to plant. I just read something on deer proof plants-let me find it and get back to everyone. I live in SO Calif, so what may grow here may not grow where you are. If you do not want grass but want a filler to keep soil together and rain from causing flooding use Ice plant or Red Apple-however Red Apple brings a lot of bees in, and with the Africanized bees taking over here-if you live in S cal may want to rethink red apple.
pattybug52

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by pattybug52 »

Achillea-Yarrow Aconitum-Monkshood Agastache-Anise Hyssop Alchemilla-Lady's Mantle Allium-Ornamental Chives Amsonia - Blue Star Aquilegia - Columbine Artemisia - Wormwood Asclepias-Butterfly Weed Berberis Thunbergii-Barberry Buddleia Davidii-Butterfly Bush Buxus-Boxwood Calamintha-Calamint Caryopteris -- Bluebeard Cimicifuga -- Bugbane Corydalis Crocosmia-Montbretia Daphne-Daphne Dicentra - Bleeding Hearts Digitalis - Foxglove Echinops - Globe Thistle Euphorbia-Spurge Ferns Filipendula-Dropwort Galium-Sweet Woodruff Genista - Broom Geranium-Hardy, Scented Geranium; Cranesbill Grasses-Ornamental Grass and Carex Helleborus-Hellebore Hypericum - St. John's Wort Hyssopus - Hyssop Iris Siberica - Siberian Iris Kolkwitzia - Beauty Bush Lamium-Dead Nettles Lavandula-Lavender Lespedeza Linaria - Toadflax Lychnis - Rose Campion Melissa - Lemon Balm Mentha-Mint Monarda-Bee Balm Myrica-Northern Bayberry Nepeta-Catnip Origanum-Oregano Paeonia -- Peony Papaver Orientale- Poppy Perovskia-Russian Sage Phlox Subulata-Moss Pinks Picea-Spruce Potentilla-Cinquefoil Pulmonaria - Lungwort Pycnanthemum - American Mountain Mint Rheum-Ornamental Rhubarb Rhus-Sumac Ruta-Herb of Grace Salvia Officinalis-Garden Sage Salvia-Meadow Sage Saponaria-Soapwort Satureya-Winter Savory Senecio - Golden Ragwort Stachys-Lamb's Ear Symphytum -- Comfrey Tanacetum-Tansy Teucrium-Germander Thymus-Thyme Verbascum-Mullein Yucca-Adam's Needle this is a list of deer resistant plants
MsContrary

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by MsContrary »

Hi all! I'm in what 's probably zone 8 in California. The zone maps show me in 9 or 10 but at 1200 ft elevation and with several killing frosts a year and snow every few years my plants don't think so!

I like growing all sorts of stuff from seeds and cuttings. My avatar is Kentucky Old Fashioned Petunia from my yard.

pattybug52 wrote: this is a list of deer resistant plants

Thanks for the list. I think deer in different areas like different things. And I find that here in dry California as the season wears on the deer turn to eating things they wouldn't touch earlier!

Mary
pattybug52

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by pattybug52 »

Mary-where in Calif are you? I am in Buena Park!
Tombstone

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by Tombstone »

Peg,

If you are ever up this way - I have a ton of grass for you to cut! :D

Peg wrote: Too bad we're on opposite sides of the US. I love to cut grass! I find it a great way to get out any anger or frustrations I have. If I had a decent size yard again, I'd be able to get out my anger, get a tan, and get something accomplished all at the same time LOL.
Tombstone

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by Tombstone »

I'm interested too! I used to be from NorCal - Sonoma County.

MsContrary wrote: Hi all! I'm in what 's probably zone 8 in California. The zone maps show me in 9 or 10 but at 1200 ft elevation and with several killing frosts a year and snow every few years my plants don't think so!

I like growing all sorts of stuff from seeds and cuttings. My avatar is Kentucky Old Fashioned Petunia from my yard.

Thanks for the list. I think deer in different areas like different things. And I find that here in dry California as the season wears on the deer turn to eating things they wouldn't touch earlier!

Mary
pattybug52

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by pattybug52 »

Tombstone-where do you live now?
MsContrary

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by MsContrary »

pattybug52 wrote: Mary-where in Calif are you? I am in Buena Park!
I'm in the Santa Cruz mountains, south of San Francisco but north of you. :)

We are just recovering from a hot spell that pretty much fried the garden. Just before the heat came on, we had the trees that were shading the deck trimmed. Bad move! Even the succulents were scalded. :-1

Of course, 90 degree heat is unusual here. How about where you are? You too, Tombstone...

Mary
pattybug52

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by pattybug52 »

we had a few hot days but nothing like last year, however I hear the Santa Ana winds are coming in tuesday so by october I am sure we are back to Shake and Bake Week.
MsContrary

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by MsContrary »

Lunaverde wrote: Out here in the midst of the rural Santa Cruz Mountains...

Waves at Lunaverde...

I contacted Luna privately and it turns out we live within waving distance of each other! Well, there's a ridge and a lotta trees in the way, so we can't see into each others "yards" or anything.

Peg, I like the technical weather term "shake and bake". But our weather changed and now my feet are cold!

Anyway, back on topic--until we get a real rain, the grass around my place is brown.
pattybug52

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by pattybug52 »

well Orange county is now is Shake and Bake syndrome-we got the Santa Anas but only Mammoth has the shakes.
Tombstone

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by Tombstone »

Hi Pattybug52,

Sorry for the late response! We live in Northern Idaho.

pattybug52 wrote: Tombstone-where do you live now?
jahamaa

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by jahamaa »

It sure is nice to have a place like the gardening forum to go to to have a nice enjoyable time reading your postings. Kudos to all :)
GOD CREATED MAN AND SAM COLT MADE THEM EQUAL
greydeadhead

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by greydeadhead »

Gardening is now out of style for the next 4-6 months.. hooo yeah.. no lawn to mow, weeds to pull, plants to water. In fact the only water I hope to see until the end of March is the white kind.. that you can ski and ride on.. oh yeahhhhhh.. but alas .. when the weather does allow.. a wide assortment of veggies and flowers to enjoy during the warmer months..
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
capt_buzzard

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by capt_buzzard »

Where have all the Wall Flowers gone? :yh_shamrk
Ciao, Bella!

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

capt_buzzard;4043 wrote: Daffodils in Springtime

Those are beautiful! We bought our first house a year ago, and there were a few daffodil bulbs sprinkled in amongst the many nandinas crowding the foundation.

When we dug up the nandinas a few weeks ago, I transplanted the daffodils. I hoped they would make, but was so surprised to see them blooming!

I'm moving them again, after they've finished blooming, as the place they are now is temporary.
Ciao, Bella!

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

I'm in SC. We had a good warm spell recently, and a lot of things greened up nicely.
Lulu2

My Front Lawn Back Yard,

Post by Lulu2 »

Every day since the 2-day FREEZE last week, I see more plants which were damaged! In a few weeks, when there's no possibility of another one, I'll cut them all back & see who makes it into summer.

Funny how "attached" you can get to certain shrubs or trees! It's absolutely PAINFUL to see my umbrella tree now!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay

Return to “Gardening Forum”