Vegetables to plant in small space

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
aflicki

Post by aflicki »

I'm looking to buy some vegetable plants to put on my balcony. What would be my best options in the limited space?
minks

Post by minks »

If you like tomatoes put them in some nice pots, you can go from the very decorative cherry version to your beefsteak and have them grow on your balcony.

I am not much of a gardener but love tomatoes and love the results.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
valerie

Post by valerie »

Can you fit a couple of large pots in your space? If you like zucchini,

I'd try that. They are prolific and one or two plants would do you for

quite a while! It's a little late maybe to start from seed, but if you

can get starts I'd do that.

Or bush beans. Or peppers. Anything like that. No corn, of course,

in a small space. But a lot of the other usual suspects will do just fine!

Good luck, happy growing!

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

You can plant one tomatoe plant in a pot - and you can plant vine green bean, cucumber or squash or you can do herbs. You can plant peppers in a pot. Go for it!!
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

also very nice, some herbs you can go out and cut for whatever meal you are preparing. they don't need large pots, try rosemary, basil, chives, tarragon, sage, they should do very well, but not in full hot sun. the more you clip them, the more they grow.
Philadelphia Eagle

Post by Philadelphia Eagle »

And don't forget chilis. You can grow many varieties in quite a small space if you avoid the larger types. They love hot sun but water them well!
America the Beautiful :-6

website - home.comcast.net/~nmusgrave/
minks

Post by minks »

oh you guys make me want to go out and grow something, .... what grows well in rain, rain rain and no sun??

― Mae West
valerie

Post by valerie »

minks wrote: oh you guys make me want to go out and grow something, .... what grows well in rain, rain rain and no sun??MUSHROOMS!!!

:yh_rotfl
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

minks

Post by minks »

aw "crap" is that my only option!

― Mae West
pina

Post by pina »

Try watercress!!!

capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Anyone for Lettuce?
Bez

Post by Bez »

I've heard of people growing potatoes in a big plastic sack...they need plenty of watering and drainage.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

minks wrote: aw "crap" is that my only option!

Rice????
homebasics

Post by homebasics »

Why not plant a few culinary herbs and vegetables right outside your kitchen door within easy picking distance? You can enhance the ornamental beauty of this colourful kitchen garden by interspersing some of your favourite cutting flowers.

As unusual as it sounds, mixing vegetables, herbs and flowers has been done in European cottage gardens for centuries. The French call this blend a potage garden. Derived from the French word potager for soup, a potage garden is usually a formal, geometrically shaped one. It might be a plain square or a more complex tapestry of squares, rectangles and circles.

Potage gardens usually have many little plots (or pots) of different things. Such gardens are often divided by brick borders and stone pathways.

Ideal plants are spinach, lettuce, kale, green onions, cabbages, leeks and tomatoes. Small, quick crops such as scallions and radishes are perfect. Baby root crops such as golf-ball-size turnips, beets and carrots are natural choices. Basil, parsley and chives are good herbs. And such flowering herbs as round yellow calendula or pot marigold, daisy-like chamomile, purple lavender or nasturtiums are great for adding extra interest.
wildhorses

Post by wildhorses »

aflicki;77774 wrote: I'm looking to buy some vegetable plants to put on my balcony. What would be my best options in the limited space?

I have a container garden on my fire escape. Mostly I use 4 or 5 gallon plastic pots. I am growing bush beans, cherry tomatoes, red potatoes, parsley, lettuce, dandelions, squash, radish, carrots, turnips, beets.

You have to find out what will grow best in your climate. You can get that information on most sites that sell seeds. Before planting, go online and read about the plants you are going to grow. It will save you time and frustration.

But you can definitely grow a vegetable garden on your balcony.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

If you have the right temps/weather. Although, I did have Basil and chives doing great this year. Will have to send some to Jester:wah::thinking:
ade901

Post by ade901 »

You can grow potatoes in a pot. But I would choose cut and come again salad leaves - you can harvest these every week if they are growing well. And try strawberries in a strawberry tower.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Just picked some tomatoes out of my containers this morning...juicy red ones:-4
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

I've already canned 24 quarts of tomatoes. I'm getting ready to do sauce. Geez - we've done 12 pints of salsa. Anyone want a good recipe?
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

nvalleyvee;1226059 wrote: I've already canned 24 quarts of tomatoes. I'm getting ready to do sauce. Geez - we've done 12 pints of salsa. Anyone want a good recipe?

Yes, but I'd love it if you sent me some of your sauce NV...Have you make hot and spicy arriabiata sauce?....that's my favorite sauce...

How are you....great to see you posting again:-6
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

ade901;1221550 wrote: You can grow potatoes in a pot. But I would choose cut and come again salad leaves - you can harvest these every week if they are growing well. And try strawberries in a strawberry tower.

Are you kidding.....I've never tried planting spuds in a pot.....Tell me more please:-6

Return to “Gardening Forum”