CSA ... a wonderful thing!

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

I had never heard of this program before but it sounds like a great idea. I found out about it as my neighbor was away on vacation and asked if I would be interested in picking up their share and using it. Isn't that nice of her?

I would have to evaluate if the cost is worth it; for a summer/fall (June thru November) of farm fresh veggies, fruit, bread and a dozen of eggs every week it is USD $894. So from an economical point of view for a family of four it would probably be worth it. For someone like myself it would be worth it if I split it with two maybe even three other single people.

Check out the program….which is Community Supported Agriculture

of Breezy Willow Farms.

About Our C.S.A.Programs. | Breezy Willow Farm

This is what I got –

One large bag of spinach

One large bag of kale

One huge bunch of green onions

One bag of squash which had two yellow and three patty pie

Three giant beets (got them for Zeus!)

One head of romaine lettuce

One head of iceberg lettuce

One pint of blue berries

One loaf of rosemary, lavender focaccia bread (which BTW is delicious!!)

One dozen brown eggs.

Now for one person this is a ton of veggies! I found a recipe for sautéed kale and had that one night with a pork chop and I’ve been eating a salad almost daily and Zeus has had his beets so far. I still have tons left!! Tonight I am going to make the patty pies stuffed with Italian sausage and goat’s cheese.

The only down side is I still like growing my own veggies but if I was splitting it I could probably still do that as the variety from the market would be much larger than mine!
tabby

Post by tabby »

Lady J, you're talking about something dear to my heart these days! We joined a local CSA last year and enjoyed it so much that we did the same this year. I posted a thread on it when I first joined ~~~~~> http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/home- ... lture.html

It's a wonderful concept that is gaining momentum. You get bountiful fresh certified organic vegetables, fruit & herbs that are grown locally. You'd be a part of the locavore movement as well ... every little bit helps!

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/kitch ... vores.html

I have no negative experiences and only positive ones to share with you. Yours costs more than mine but I'm not getting eggs or bread although the eggs are an option. We do get honey every few weeks.

Since we didn't need to plant vegetables once we joined the CSA, we took the vegetable patch and planted blueberry, blackberry, raspberry & gooseberry bushes. The blueberry bushes have been prolific and the gooseberry gave us 3 berries!! Almost enough for a muffin!
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

My son's girlfriend does this in NYC and they are both very happy with the quality. Here, Lady J, single people and smaller families are offered a smaller amount for a smaller price. Who is Zeus?

Happy eating, sounds so fresh & delicious!
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

tabby;1430576 wrote: Lady J, you're talking about something dear to my heart these days! We joined a local CSA last year and enjoyed it so much that we did the same this year. I posted a thread on it when I first joined ~~~~~> http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/home- ... lture.html

It's a wonderful concept that is gaining momentum. You get bountiful fresh certified organic vegetables, fruit & herbs that are grown locally. You'd be a part of the locavore movement as well ... every little bit helps!

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/kitch ... vores.html

I have no negative experiences and only positive ones to share with you. Yours costs more than mine but I'm not getting eggs or bread although the eggs are an option. We do get honey every few weeks.

Since we didn't need to plant vegetables once we joined the CSA, we took the vegetable patch and planted blueberry, blackberry, raspberry & gooseberry bushes. The blueberry bushes have been prolific and the gooseberry gave us 3 berries!! Almost enough for a muffin!

I remember that posting and looked for it but couldn't seem to find it....I get to impatience some times. It sounds like planting the berry bushes would be a good idea.

Fortunately for me my neighbor was kind enuf to offer it to me in their absence so I could experience the benefits of it.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

AnneBoleyn;1430595 wrote: My son's girlfriend does this in NYC and they are both very happy with the quality. Here, Lady J, single people and smaller families are offered a smaller amount for a smaller price. Who is Zeus?

Happy eating, sounds so fresh & delicious!

The for 'singles' sounds like a good idea Anne. I will have to look into it.

Zeus is my beautiful, wonderful dog! He luvs veggies, not that he will turn his nose up to beef, but his favorite treats are carrots and celery.

AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Wow, he is gorgeous!

Return to “Gardening Forum”