Questions about potting herbs

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
Melanyjhz

Post by Melanyjhz »

Well I'm not going to take the time to start an herb garden this year (give me a project for next year), but I am going to pot some. I bought a 3 cubic feet (probably 2-2.5 feet diameter) and a 1 cuft (probably 1.5 diameter) that I'm going to use to plant some. Are there certain herbs that won't do well together? Also is there an order to put them in for display that you would recommend to make a nice looking container (taller ones in back or middle)? I also have a 10 inch deep by probably 3 feet wide window planter that I can use if some of them have smaller root systems.

I've pasted a list below of some that the greenhouse at my college I work out is selling today for cheap. Is there certain ones of those you recommend. especially like which of these basils. I'm probably going to grow chives, catnip, lemon balm, mint, oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme, dill, basil, and cilantro.

Basil Large Leaf Italian

Basil Red Rubin

Basil Lemon Sweet Dani

Basil Valentino

Cilantro/Coriander

Dill Bouquet

Fennel

Lavender Lady

Lemon Grass

Marjoram Sweet

Oregano

Oregano Greek

Parsley Curly Krausa

Sage
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Melanyjhz;1394235 wrote: Well I'm not going to take the time to start an herb garden this year (give me a project for next year), but I am going to pot some. I bought a 3 cubic feet (probably 2-2.5 feet diameter) and a 1 cuft (probably 1.5 diameter) that I'm going to use to plant some. Are there certain herbs that won't do well together? Also is there an order to put them in for display that you would recommend to make a nice looking container (taller ones in back or middle)? I also have a 10 inch deep by probably 3 feet wide window planter that I can use if some of them have smaller root systems.

I've pasted a list below of some that the greenhouse at my college I work out is selling today for cheap. Is there certain ones of those you recommend. especially like which of these basils. I'm probably going to grow chives, catnip, lemon balm, mint, oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme, dill, basil, and cilantro.

Basil Large Leaf Italian

Basil Red Rubin

Basil Lemon Sweet Dani

Basil Valentino

Cilantro/Coriander

Dill Bouquet

Fennel

Lavender Lady

Lemon Grass

Marjoram Sweet

Oregano

Oregano Greek

Parsley Curly Krausa

Sage

Big fan of cilantro here. Not much of a catnip fan, more of a dog person.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Melanyjhz;1394235 wrote: Well I'm not going to take the time to start an herb garden this year (give me a project for next year), but I am going to pot some. I bought a 3 cubic feet (probably 2-2.5 feet diameter) and a 1 cuft (probably 1.5 diameter) that I'm going to use to plant some. Are there certain herbs that won't do well together? Also is there an order to put them in for display that you would recommend to make a nice looking container (taller ones in back or middle)? I also have a 10 inch deep by probably 3 feet wide window planter that I can use if some of them have smaller root systems.

Basil Large Leaf Italian

Basil Red Rubin

Basil Lemon Sweet Dani

Basil Valentino

Cilantro/Coriander

Dill Bouquet

Fennel

Lavender Lady

Lemon Grass

Marjoram Sweet

Oregano

Oregano Greek

Parsley Curly Krausa

SageI'd visited a nice website about herbs a couple of days ago, I'll post you the link perhaps tomorrow.

I'm enjoying my large leaf sweet Italian basil and strawberry plants atm
Aussie Harmony

Post by Aussie Harmony »

Lemon balm, rosemary and basil grow quite bit and will hog the space in your planter box. Sage will also take over the box as it is a type of lavender. My lemon balm in the garden is about 3 feet square and my basil forks out and grows tall so that should go to the back. I'd only plant what you know you will use. I am a sucker for planting herbs I don't end up using and am trying to stop doing that.

The thyme and organo would be best at the front since they are the lowest and slowest growing herbs. No matter how you plant them it will be fun. Just be aware that the dill, basil and cilantro are annuals and will die off after going to seed whereas the others will grow for many years and may not appreciate having their roots disturbed by uprooting and replacing annuals. It might be best to have two planter boxes. One for annuals and one for perennials.
Compost King

Post by Compost King »

That sounds like a great selection of herbs. Just be wary of planting the mint in the same container as the other herbs as it can take over. I have mint growing in a pot of its own. I'm not familiar with the basil varieties that you mention. I grow sweet basil which grows to be about 60 cm and also Thai basil which is probably about half the size.

I would also plant Italian parsley as it is such a handy herb.

There's nothing like going out into the garden and coming back with an armful of fresh herbs.

Return to “Gardening Forum”