Marigolds Brandywine Tomatoes

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
tabby

Post by tabby »

What a dull winter it’s been here! Mild temperatures and no snow up until 2 days ago when we received a half-hearted 5 inches. I’m completely out of the notion of winter now and earnestly looking forward to Spring! In my efforts to push it along, I bought some seed packets yesterday of marigolds (petite, mixed colors) and tomatoes (Brandywine) to germinate in the warm and sunny kitchen windowsill. Last year I did that with tomatoes and watermelons and had good success so I thought I’d try again. A greenhouse would be wonderful but in lieu of that, the kitchen window will simply have to suffice! This will tide me over for the time being ... come on Spring!

The marigolds are described on the packet as Gold, Orange and Harmony ... well who couldn’t use a little of that by the end of February??

Does anyone else start their flowers or vegetables inside or do you hold out for the more established plants on offer later in the season?
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

tabby;1385456 wrote: What a dull winter it’s been here! Mild temperatures and no snow up until 2 days ago when we received a half-hearted 5 inches. I’m completely out of the notion of winter now and earnestly looking forward to Spring! In my efforts to push it along, I bought some seed packets yesterday of marigolds (petite, mixed colors) and tomatoes (Brandywine) to germinate in the warm and sunny kitchen windowsill. Last year I did that with tomatoes and watermelons and had good success so I thought I’d try again. A greenhouse would be wonderful but in lieu of that, the kitchen window will simply have to suffice! This will tide me over for the time being ... come on Spring!

The marigolds are described on the packet as Gold, Orange and Harmony ... well who couldn’t use a little of that by the end of February??

Does anyone else start their flowers or vegetables inside or do you hold out for the more established plants on offer later in the season?

I start my tomatoes and jalapenos from seed every year. Last year I put out 84 tomato plants and 90 jalapeno plants.I just planted my seeds Monday of this week.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Wow, that's a lot of tomatoes & peppers! Do you have a greenhouse or cold frame? Or lots of space indoors?
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

tabby;1385459 wrote: Wow, that's a lot of tomatoes & peppers! Do you have a greenhouse or cold frame? Or lots of space indoors?

I do it at my shop. In my office I have a tall, long west facing window frontage that I put them in front of after I pot them up from the seedling trays. I plastic line some boxes and place them in the boxes so I can just pour water into the bottom of the box for watering.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

I love Marigolds cos they are hardy & sow themselves and once you have them they stick around! Oh and you can make salad with the blooms!
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
tabby

Post by tabby »

I've never had the blooms in a salad & wonder what kind of taste they would have! Marigolds are also supposed to repel insects and I've read where they should be planted on the borders of vegetable gardens as a sort of natural pesticide. No experience with that though, I just plant them because I like them!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

tabby;1385456 wrote: What a dull winter it’s been here! Mild temperatures and no snow up until 2 days ago when we received a half-hearted 5 inches. I’m completely out of the notion of winter now and earnestly looking forward to Spring! In my efforts to push it along, I bought some seed packets yesterday of marigolds (petite, mixed colors) and tomatoes (Brandywine) to germinate in the warm and sunny kitchen windowsill. Last year I did that with tomatoes and watermelons and had good success so I thought I’d try again. A greenhouse would be wonderful but in lieu of that, the kitchen window will simply have to suffice! This will tide me over for the time being ... come on Spring!

The marigolds are described on the packet as Gold, Orange and Harmony ... well who couldn’t use a little of that by the end of February?? My sentiment exactly!

tabby;1385456 wrote:

Does anyone else start their flowers or vegetables inside or do you hold out for the more established plants on offer later in the season? Actually that's a great idea, although I still have to read up on the recommended practices of growing vegetables and herbs in Ohio. I'm very keen on growing more than I can consume in a years time and if anyone has any suggestions I'm more than willing to listen...

In fact I've been meaning to search around the gardening area of the forum and I do know that Illescas(A member) has posted many gardening threads, although, and if I recall correctly, those I believe consist mostly of flower gardens but let's find out...
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

tabby;1385456 wrote: What a dull winter it’s been here! Mild temperatures and no snow up until 2 days ago when we received a half-hearted 5 inches.

Nobody wants a half-hearted 5 inches.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
tabby

Post by tabby »

Bruv;1385480 wrote: Nobody wants a half-hearted 5 inches.

Well that's certainly true ....

But that's another forum altogether ... focus on the marigolds, Bruv!

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

tabby;1385494 wrote:

Well that's certainly true ....

But that's another forum altogether ... focus on the marigolds, Bruv!

My humble apologies............................just couldn't resist
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

tabby;1385456 wrote:

The winter here has been very mild and many of my flowers have already started to come up and even bloom. I took this photo this morning of the crocus in the front yard.

It is supposed to be nice here again tomorrow and I will till my veggie garden bed and plant seeds of spring veggies such as spinach, butter, leaf and red lettuces along with some carrots. These are cool weather veggies and even a little frost won't hurt them too badly.

By the time these are done I'll be planting my summer veggies and most of them I do buy from the nursery. I don't buy the big plants, just the small starter ones.

If I had more room on my window sills I would probably start them from seed but right now the sills are filled with indoor plants.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Bruv;1385480 wrote: Nobody wants a half-hearted 5 inches.

:thinking: does that make a half hearted 10 inches any better ?

NO :wah:

Not planted seeds in years, not really got the room here. I prefer seeds you can just throw on the ground, actually I may just buy a pack of something and do that in front of my living room window in a couple of months time. Maybe night scented stock or Nigella (love in a mist) would be good.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Lady J;1385501 wrote: The winter here has been very mild and many of my flowers have already started to come up and even bloom. I took this photo this morning of the crocus in the front yard.

It is supposed to be nice here again tomorrow and I will till my veggie garden bed and plant seeds of spring veggies such as spinach, butter, leaf and red lettuces along with some carrots. These are cool weather veggies and even a little frost won't hurt them too badly.

By the time these are done I'll be planting my summer veggies and most of them I do buy from the nursery. I don't buy the big plants, just the small starter ones.

If I had more room on my window sills I would probably start them from seed but right now the sills are filled with indoor plants.

Magnolia trees are in bloom here and have been for a while, it's a shame as the slightest bit of rain or wind totally ruins them. They really should learn to wait a few months :wah:.

I visited a local garden recently Trengwainton Garden - Visitor information - National Trust and the camellia's are full of flowers, snowdrops and daffodils everywhere too, very pretty.
valerie

Post by valerie »

In years past, I used to do from seed, but now I am VERY

limited as to room, mainly 5 barrel planters, so I get small

tomato plants and start probably end of April or so. I'm

very excited this year to start what I hear is a prolific plant,

they are called Boxcar Willie tomatoes and they are an heirloom

variety.

I do use seeds (beans) from my scarlet runners that I have

planted for 40 years or so. They are a beautiful black and

purple seed, and I have had them go about 20 feet up a trellis.

Here is a not-very-good pic of them, best I could find:

Floridata: Phaseolus coccineus

Most years the barrels have all zinnias in them, like this:

DSCF2333.JPG

We have had very little rainfall here this year, I'm sort of worried

we might have water rationing...
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Return to “Gardening Forum”