Camellia - Need help

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
weeder

Camellia - Need help

Post by weeder »

Here .in Georgia... you can hack then to the ground and they will grow back. In Virginia you have to prune them carefully. Do Camellias flourish in your area? It depends on if they are common to the area. How sensitive they are. Pruning is also determined by what kind of shape you want the bush to have,
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
lady cop

Camellia - Need help

Post by lady cop »

off topic a bit, but i am a goldmine of useless information~~~the lovely blues singer billie holiday always wore a camellia in her hair, it was her signature.

Attached files
Philadelphia Eagle

Camellia - Need help

Post by Philadelphia Eagle »

I'm not a gardening expert but we do have a florishing Camellia.

As I understand it Camellias grow faster and stronger the more heat and snlight they get.

Hence you will see that the Camellia in GA can be pruned back hard and will grow again strongly and quickly and the one in VA may also be pruned but will take a little longer to grow back.

Our Camillia here in PA will behave much like the VA one.

So it all depends on your climate.

As a guide the climate here in southern PA is approximately the same as southern Spain.

If your climate is cooler than that the Camellia may be gently pruned but will take a longer time to grow back.

By the way - it takes a real hatchet job to kill a forsythia here. So if your climate is a bit on the cool side go gently!
America the Beautiful :-6

website - home.comcast.net/~nmusgrave/

Return to “Gardening Forum”