I am so excited I can hardly stand it!

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
hotsauce

Post by hotsauce »

I have been saving for about a year now for a tree. Not just any tree...the perfect tree. I found it. I took piles of waded up bills, gift certificates, and a debit card, into my favorite landscaping place. I plunked them all down on the counter and paid for the prettiest Maple tree I have ever seen. (Well, the prettiest smaller size Maple tree.) The cultivar name is October Glory. It is about 20 feet tall. Anyone every planted a bigger tree like this?

Do you have any idea how much to water it until established? (btw...they are going to plant it...I'm not digging that hole...I dig enough dang holes!)

Any of you have Maple trees? Do you love them? (If you don't...please refrain from responding...I'm way too happy to hear bad stuff.) :D

It should be here in about 3-4 weeks. I have been to visit it three times (I bought it on Sunday). I want to make sure the tag doesn't get switched. I don't want anyone running off with my sweet tree.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i had maples in MASS>~~~ a beautiful tree with magnificent Fall color! enjoy! is your variety a sugar maple? a grand New England tradition, maple sugar on snow! .............Massachusetts Maple Producers Association ... the sap from sugar maple trees, boiling it down to pure maple syrup. ... Properly cared for sugar maples can be tapped at 40 years of age
hotsauce

Post by hotsauce »

I'm not sure about the sugar part. It is a red maple. Are there sugar and red? Is that how it works? I'm new to all of this tree stuff. It is a red maple. It is a hard wood...not soft wood...and it gets a brilliant red in October (when my hubs' birthday is...also why I liked the name October Glory).

Cool link!
weeder

Post by weeder »

I have often planted many trees of this size. Or mass plantings of these trees. It will need a lot of water this first season. Make sure the landscapers remove the burlap bag from the tree. There are many schools of thought on planting.... the burlap does need to at least be opened up. Have them put plenty of peat moss in the hole.. and mulch about 6 or 8 inches deep around the tree. Pay attention to how much rain you have, to gauge watering. Maples grow rapidly and are pretty much disease free. Since you mentioned saving for this tree.. you might like to know that small trees or saplings are easier money wis to purchase and do quite well. The size is for the instant gratification of a big tree. But buying smaller will give your property a lifetime of growth.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
koan

Post by koan »

I had a Japanese Maple tree at my old house. It was only about 12 feet tall. It was my favourite part of the whole property. It didn't self propigate. The helicopter seeds fell every year but no new maples ever popped up. I'm sure you will love it.
BTS

Post by BTS »

You go girl.........THANX

We need more younger people who understand the beauty of plants and the rewards that you recieve by planting a tree, shrub or any plant that brings you and others happines. Few things are more rewarding than watching something you plant, grow and mature.

I just saw my old place we bought in 1978 then sold in 1994 with my selections of trees and shrubs...............

Some things I liked, some things I woulda changed.

That said, I learned the lesson young that if you plant something and negleglet it, it will DIE.................. Then you have to pull your death out................

Thanx again
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
hotsauce

Post by hotsauce »

weeder wrote: I have often planted many trees of this size. Or mass plantings of these trees. It will need a lot of water this first season. Make sure the landscapers remove the burlap bag from the tree. There are many schools of thought on planting.... the burlap does need to at least be opened up. Have them put plenty of peat moss in the hole.. and mulch about 6 or 8 inches deep around the tree. Pay attention to how much rain you have, to gauge watering. Maples grow rapidly and are pretty much disease free. Since you mentioned saving for this tree.. you might like to know that small trees or saplings are easier money wis to purchase and do quite well. The size is for the instant gratification of a big tree. But buying smaller will give your property a lifetime of growth.
Thanks to everyone for the comments!

Yes, I know what you are talking about in regards to smaller trees. I planted 12 smaller trees in the back yard (big yard with zero trees to start with). I just wanted a big one for the front yard. I wanted the instant gratification. However, I typically go with smaller trees and try to find kinds that grow rapidly.
A Karenina

Post by A Karenina »

Sounds awesome! Please post a picture when your new tree is home. :)
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle

Return to “Gardening Forum”