Plucked plant

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
devist8me

Plucked plant

Post by devist8me »

As some of you know, I just dropped a few hundred bucks getting a bunch of plants, dirt and pots to put them in. I've decorated my front steps and back deck with them and since it's just now stopped frosting, I got to move them all outside yesterday.

This morning I wake up to find one plant in horrible shape. It had been plucked, roots and all with its original dirt, from the pot I planted it in. I found what was left of the stem and the dirt around it about 10 feet from the pot out in the yard.

Very distressed! Anyone have any ideas?

Attached files
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
jahamaa

Plucked plant

Post by jahamaa »

Best guess, groudhog or deer. Since most others animals would have nibbled it on the spot not moved it 10 feet.

Unless vandilism is a possiblity.
GOD CREATED MAN AND SAM COLT MADE THEM EQUAL
Philadelphia Eagle

Plucked plant

Post by Philadelphia Eagle »

Looks like a small animal took a fancy to it!

Probably a chipmunk or squirrel.

Anything larger like a deer or racoon would have left a bigger mess and a skunk would leave its telltale smell.
America the Beautiful :-6

website - home.comcast.net/~nmusgrave/
minks

Plucked plant

Post by minks »

the rotten kid down the street???
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
devist8me

Plucked plant

Post by devist8me »

I'm still puzzled. We don't really have trees on our street big enough for squirrels yet and I've never seen chipmonks or deer near here. Kids is a slight possibility. I've seen a stray dog around here a lot lately so I'm thinking he might be the biggest culprit!
Tombstone

Plucked plant

Post by Tombstone »

devist8me wrote: As some of you know, I just dropped a few hundred bucks getting a bunch of plants, dirt and pots to put them in. I've decorated my front steps and back deck with them and since it's just now stopped frosting, I got to move them all outside yesterday.

This morning I wake up to find one plant in horrible shape. It had been plucked, roots and all with its original dirt, from the pot I planted it in. I found what was left of the stem and the dirt around it about 10 feet from the pot out in the yard.

Very distressed! Anyone have any ideas?

Hmmm... Plant and dirt about 10 feet from pot? Pot still in place? Wouldn't it take two hands to pull the plant out but keep the pot in place? If a dog or animal yanked on it - the pot should have been in a new location as well.

Did you have just one pot out front?

I'm suspeting the neighborhood Dennis the Menace.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
hotsauce

Plucked plant

Post by hotsauce »

I'm thinking aliens, sis. :confused:
devist8me

Plucked plant

Post by devist8me »

Tombstone wrote: Hmmm... Plant and dirt about 10 feet from pot? Pot still in place? Wouldn't it take two hands to pull the plant out but keep the pot in place? If a dog or animal yanked on it - the pot should have been in a new location as well.

Did you have just one pot out front?

I'm suspeting the neighborhood Dennis the Menace.
The pot is medium sized and weighted down with rocks at the bottom. I'm not sure if 2 hands are needed or a small-medium sized jaw. It is one of 16 plants on my front porch, this one just happened to be closest at the end (towards the yard). I'm leaning more towards one of the "Dennis's" in the neighborhood....to include the one or two who are visiting from out of state.
A Karenina

Plucked plant

Post by A Karenina »

hotsauce wrote: I'm thinking aliens, sis. :confused:
:wah: Too funny! I think aliens as well, of the short and adolescent variety.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle

Return to “Gardening Forum”