Impatiens

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
hotsauce

Impatiens

Post by hotsauce »

You should be seeing green leaves. Green leaves are good! About the blooming...they are probably small...right? They are just going to lose all of their buds when they are small...once they get bigger they will have blooms all over so when they shed their old ones...they won't look so bare. That is what I have learned from my experience with impatients. Also, morning sun is good for impatients...this will help them bloom more. Only morning sun though...no truly hot stuff.
greydeadhead

Impatiens

Post by greydeadhead »

the blooms were prolly hot house pushed.. did you deadhead them after the blooms wilted.. that will help encourage new growth...
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
hotsauce

Impatiens

Post by hotsauce »

dead head means just to pinch the old blooms off.
weeder

Impatiens

Post by weeder »

deb789 wrote: I bought some impatiens they were blooming at that time. It was 2 weeks ago. Now they stop blooming and seeing green leaves. Whats wrong!!
Impatience need to be in the shade, They are 90% water and need a tremendous amout of water. They also at this point need fertilizer with a high nitrogen content. Did you give them Miracle grow? Miracle grow produces green leaves and no flowers. Depending on where you live.. it may have been too soon to plant them. A marketing tecnique designed to have you purchase a second time.

Above zone 8 the time to plant would be Mothers Day.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
weeder

Impatiens

Post by weeder »

We have had some cold unexpected weather.. Im zone 8. Retailers rely on consumers purchasing their annuals early... because we cant wait. If the impatience were tender little babies.. and they got hit with cold.. you may have to replant them. Although they love shade.. they also love warmth. Its difficult for me to tell without seeing and feeling them. Miracle grow is not your best fertilizer. Look for peters. Also when you plant them.. Put 2 or three plants together in one hole. How is your soil? Is it 99% sand like here? No good.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
G-man

Impatiens

Post by G-man »

Yeah, could be any number of reasons why they might not've been successful... oddly enough I've had some native and some rather rare tropical varieties of impatiens thrive in soil that was entirely sand... all on their own... you might consider investing in a meter that tests soil, light, water and other conditions for around $30 or so... it helps to eliminate most issues unless it's disease or pest related... I do know when plants typically are submitted to a state of shock... either by re-potting, or harsh weather... they'll sometimes lose many of their leaves or even de-foliate entirely... when they return you might see them return as more of an off-shoot rather than just the typical leaf or several... like a new stem, instead. The shock could even, depending on the flowering season, eliminate flowering for the duration of the year, too...

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Return to “Gardening Forum”