How does your garden grow?

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Mustang;1321464 wrote: Picked more squash, some cucumbers and a couple green peppers today. Lots of tomatoes, but nothing ripe yet. Also been picking blueberries off our bushes.

I have my first yellow squash, but have been eating cucumbers since i brushed aside a leaf weeding the other day. bonanza!:wah:

I have given up buying cucumbers at the store years ago. They are just inedible in comparison. I just do without in the off season.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Mustang

Post by Mustang »

flopstock;1321489 wrote: I have my first yellow squash, but have been eating cucumbers since i brushed aside a leaf weeding the other day. bonanza!:wah:

I have given up buying cucumbers at the store years ago. They are just inedible in comparison. I just do without in the off season.

I never ate cucumbers until we grew them. Big difference from store bought. Like you, we do without in the off season.

Our squash is producing like crazy this year. Must be from the mushroom mulch my wife side dressed them with. That stuff really boosted growth on everything she used it on. Good stuff!
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Went out to the garden to get some more green beans to take down to daughters house in the morning... are the cucumbers ever going to stop coming? It's a contest now, to see how many of the buggers I'm going to get this year after previously only getting a few per plant a year..:wah:

Grabbed her some summer squash and zucchini too, she's only having luck with tomatoes this year.

I'm going to get a picture of the frickin' hanging tomato gizmo's to put in here for patsy. That damn thing was fine a week ago and is hanging limp out there today when I went out.:-5 ..........it mocks me.:yh_rotfl
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Bez

Post by Bez »

I only have a small courtyard garden and decided to experiment with a few things in pots and a growbag. So far I've had enopugh peas for 1 meal, a handful of small round carrots. The tomatoes are doing well and also courgettes. The cucumber plants were devoured by slugs (hope they enjoyed them) despite being in a raised pot. Herbs are very successful and I use them daily.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

My beloved is over the moon about her bitter melon. They don't sell them at most grocery stores. Maybe because they taste terrible. :D

The peppermint is completely out of control! A human can only drink so many mohitos.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Accountable;1325488 wrote: My beloved is over the moon about her bitter melon. They don't sell them at most grocery stores. Maybe because they taste terrible. :D

The peppermint is completely out of control! A human can only drink so many mohitos.

Oh, you can never drink enough mohitos Acc:wah:
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

here ya go patsy. thankfully, i have tomato plants all over the back yard so this guy doesn't make me feel too bad...the bastard!:yh_rotfl

Attached files

Odie

Post by Odie »

Bez;1325408 wrote: I only have a small courtyard garden and decided to experiment with a few things in pots and a growbag. So far I've had enopugh peas for 1 meal, a handful of small round carrots. The tomatoes are doing well and also courgettes. The cucumber plants were devoured by slugs (hope they enjoyed them) despite being in a raised pot. Herbs are very successful and I use them daily.

slugs can climb anywhere Bez, what a shame.

I've grown two tomato plants in containers for years now, full sun and watered everyday or twice, and I normally have around 60.

Good to know yours are doing well.
Life is just to short for drama.
cogob

Post by cogob »

I am in the alledgedly driest place in the UK and we have had no rain for several weeks until this week.

But everything seem to grow ok, except, I have a Kiwi and for the past two years it has had lots of flowers but they are just falling off although I am watering well, anyone any ideas for next year. I am wondering if it is because I probably have an alkaline soil, the reason I know this is because the blueberries never seem to do much and I understand they like it a bit towards acidity. Tried mange tout for the first time this year and the flavour is nothing like you get in the shops.
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Also, you'll need male and female plants for kiwi to produce fruit. Maybe they are not being pollinated.

Return to “Gardening Forum”